Phillips’ gives initial impression of rookie DT Greg Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/he-s-a...ay-smart-players-get-better-phillips-gives-in

“He’s a smart player and we always say smart players get better.” Phillips’ gives initial impression of rookie DT Greg Gaines

The Rams selected five defensive players in the 2019 NFL Draft, who now have a month under their belt as professional football players in Southern California. On Tuesday, the group’s 71-year-old defensive guru outlined a two-step process that’s well underway for the newcomers.

“[T]hey have to get acclimated to pro football number one, but number two, our defense,” coordinator Wade Phillips said.

The defensive class is headlined by a pair of former University of Washington Huskies in safety Taylor Rapp and defensive tackle Greg Gaines, each of whom could contribute in year one. For Gaines, step No. 2 in Phillips’ process played a role in helping him get to know his new defensive coordinator — even before Phillips addressed his rookies for the first time back in May.

“My first impression of Wade Phillips came from his playbook, I think seeing that and just how simplistic it is,” Gaines said in his introduction to the Los Angeles media. “He definitely seems like a good guy.”

Gaines wrapped up his UW career with 149 total tackles — 21 of which came behind the line of scrimmage — 9.5 sacks, and an interception in 51 games, and earned All Pac-12 First Team honors in his senior season. He’s since welcomed a newborn son and officially had his name tossed around in conversations surrounding the vacancy left in the middle of the defensive line with the departure of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

“It’s definitely cool that they think so highly of me — it’s a good feeling. I think I can bring it, I think I can be a starting nose type guy,” Gaines said, when asked about the prospect of a starting job. “I am really strong in the run game and I think that’s what they want me to do here, is just let [DT] Aaron Donald take the pass rush reps and I’ll take the double teams on first and second down.”

With nothing set in stone and much to learn ahead of Week 1 in Carolina, Gaines has been getting the majority of his reps with the second group in OTAs — second-year defensive tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day with the top unit. The pair of candidates for the nose spot could be set for battle, depending on what transpires in next month’s training camp, especially considering Joseph-Day didn’t step on the field in his rookie season.

“I think [Gaines] obviously works hard at what he does, I think he’s a grinder, we said that, and I think he’ll be stronger in pads, where you can see his power and stuff,” Phillips said. “No pads and no contact, it’s hard to utilize that. I think once he gets the pads on, it’ll help him.”

“He’s done a good job so far,” Phillips continued. “He’s a smart player and we always say smart players get better. So he’s one of those guys.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gaines will be an excellent rotational player, but I'm betting on Sebastian Joseph-Day to be the starter and get the majority of the snaps. Not sure why, but I liked when he played against Ohio State when he was with Rutgers and I just have a feeling about him.

DfNxvMxVAAI7GMS.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like Gaines. He's got that blue collar mentality willing to do what he has to do to help the team. A relentless motor. And a big strong guy who can hold the line and take on double teams on run plays. The fact that he's smart with a solid work ethic makes him a candidate to be a solid player in the league for years to come. If SJD beats him out, even better. It makes the rotation stronger.

Ram65

Legend
I've been on the SJD bandwagon. It hard not to like Gaines too. Two potentially very good compliments to the great Aaron Donald. Looking forward to camp reports with the pads on.

oldnotdead

Legend
SJD is ahead on the depth chart because he's been there and knows the defense. But jobs are won and lost first in TC and secondly during the season. The coaching staff had a whole year to evaluate SJD but they still targeted Gaines. You don't do that for a backup. I can't ignore the fact that he didn't play a single snap during the season, in fact he was inactive every game. He was listed behind Tanzel Smart all season on the depth chart and Suh played almost all the snaps during the season.

This year I think Smart might be looked at to back up Donald, moving SJD to the head of the NT line at this point. After having watched Gaines for years, I'd say SJD needs to take a huge step up in his game to beat him out. If he can great because that would mean the Rams have solid depth at NT.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
As long as teams aren't gashing us up the gut, I don't care who's the starter. Maybe they'll rotate them a bunch to keep them fresh, who knows.