Pharoh Cooper Showing Versatility at Wide Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://yi.nzc.am/rqjIn

Cooper Showing Versatility at Wide Receiver

Second-year wide receiver Pharoh Cooper has been all over the field lately.

Throughout training camp at UC Irvine, and now in practices at the team facility at Cal Lutheran, Cooper has appeared to distinguish himself as a do-everything kind of wideout.

While many players may be called “wide receiver,” not all of them play exactly the same position within the group. In head coach Sean McVay’s offense — and most across the league, for that matter — the three wide receivers are termed ‘X,’ ‘Z,’ and ‘F.’

That kind of terminology is nothing new, and is used in nearly all levels of football. But in McVay’s offense, it’s important for young receivers to learn all three spots for positional flexibility.

“We want to be able to move guys around and the way that we try to operate is, when you teach things as far as our plays, we teach concepts,” McVay said on Thursday. “It’s not like, ‘Alright, this is the only way we’ll do it, so this is the only route you have to know on this given play.’ Guys have to know where to line up in any specific spot and our formations allow us to try to move guys around.

“The more that guys are able to absorb, the more you can kind of have them do those versatile things and run different types of routes,” McVay continued. “So it is very important for guys to have an above-the-neck approach that gives them a chance to know what’s the full concept, as opposed to just individual routes and what the Z, the F, or the X receiver does on any given play.”

Cooper is a player who embodies that philosophy for Los Angeles, having taken snaps at all three different spots from the offseason program to now. The wide receiver said he’s very comfortable with each position, being able to jump in whenever and wherever he’s needed.

“With the offense that coach has put in, there’s a lot of concepts so everybody has to know what to do,” Cooper said Thursday. “One time, I could line up on the outside. And the inside, I have to know what to do if I’m the ‘Z,’ the ‘X,’ or the ‘F.’ So he stresses that a lot about knowing the offense inside and out.”

“Like today, we were in ‘12’ personnel — I think Sammy was getting taped up or something — so I just jumped in at ‘X’ and ran the play when Sammy couldn’t do it,” Cooper added. “So, I’m very comfortable. I can go out there at X, F, Z — whatever it is, I’m good with the playbook.”

Cooper said McVay and wide receivers coach Eric Yarber have done well to teach the new system, and distribute reps in practice. That’s part of why the South Carolina product has been able to pick things up so quickly. But he’s also taken advantage of extra reps when given the chance.

“Really at first, I was just playing Z. Then I was at F, then some injuries went down and I was actually starting at the X. So [I learned] just by that. And, like I said, the concepts are kind of easy,” Cooper said. “So everybody knows that to do. One formation, the F and the X can switch, and you can still know what to do. So just getting experience at all the levels, starting at each one of them individually, helps a lot.”

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm keen for all the weapons we have to make an impact this year. Buckle up gents - it's going to be a wild ride!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I know its not as simple as a straight swap, but I wonder if Cooper is going to step into Kupp's spot for this game against the Chargers.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see if Goff is as comfortable without Kupp out there.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cooper is a fine running back as well.
He is also an excellent and willing downfield blocker.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cooper is the type of player that needs others around him to be good in order to be successful IMHO. Having Watkins, Woods & Austin make him better because he can run, but he is more quick than fast and he's not going to beat anybody deep, however, can make the tough catch going over the middle.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In Sammy's last interview he talked about always looking inside to Copper ?

I'm thinking Kupp , but it gets confusing on who is Copper ?

The thing that is great about McVay & The Rams right now Ca last season , besides all the talent at key positions & a 3/4!defense .

McVay teaches concepts & technique. As much as concept of the play goes , the offensive line ,TE, RB's, now what they are trying to get out of the play.
Last year Greg Robinson said they would go over a play as a group , & not as a team. McVay is always keeping guys in tune with what is going on.

As far as Copper goes he is stout , built like a Breakhouse . Last year against Dallas left him hanging out to dry. It's tough to go across the middle. Look at Mike Thomas getting hit. He has had a hard time staying healthy.
Copper made a catch against the Raiders last week on a third down which was really big helping move the chains.
One WR was like that's a flag. The thing with him though is he is hard to bring down & usually gets good YAC .The depth The Rams have is really nice to see.
---I'm still in with The Rams keeping less O'Lineman & trusting the Big 5 .

Reynolds should get a lot of reps wit Copper.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Cooper is a guy that can help move the chains, as @den-the-coach said, he's better with good cast around him, he also seems fearless after the catch and seems to fit the McVay player mould.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
In Sammy's last interview he talked about always looking inside to Copper ?

I'm thinking Kupp , but it gets confusing on who is Copper ?

The thing that is great about McVay & The Rams right now Ca last season , besides all the talent at key positions & a 3/4!defense .

McVay teaches concepts & technique. As much as concept of the play goes , the offensive line ,TE, RB's, now what they are trying to get out of the play.
Last year Greg Robinson said they would go over a play as a group , & not as a team. McVay is always keeping guys in tune with what is going on.

As far as Copper goes he is stout , built like a Breakhouse . Last year against Dallas left him hanging out to dry. It's tough to go across the middle. Look at Mike Thomas getting hit. He has had a hard time staying healthy.
Copper made a catch against the Raiders last week on a third down which was really big helping move the chains.
One WR was like that's a flag. The thing with him though is he is hard to bring down & usually gets good YAC .The depth The Rams have is really nice to see.
---I'm still in with The Rams keeping less O'Lineman & trusting the Big 5 .

Reynolds should get a lot of reps wit Copper.
Sammy was talking about Kupp. Since he's still learning the playbook he will look at Cooper(Kupp) and he probably shoots him a look and maybe puts a number on his finger to show which route to run. Just my guess. But I love how Kupp already knows the playbook so well that he can tell other guys which routes to run. Such a great all around player.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cooper .....he's not going to beat anybody deep
Standby.
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

I noticed a couple years ago when he was playing for USC, (the original USC)
That he has a knack for finding soft spots in the defense deep.

I also remember a couple plays where he used the height of the defensive back or safety against them by over running the play and then coming back inside of the defensive back for the catch.

I would say that he is "slick".
He would have made an excellent point guard in basketball if he had gone in that direction.

Probably one of the top 10 smartest players on the team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also remember a couple plays where he used the height of the defensive back or safety against them by over running the play and then coming back inside of the defensive back for the catch.

I would say that he is "slick".

And though he be but little, he is fierce.

Todd59

Rookie
I know it's a pretty small sample size, but it looks like Cooper has improved his route-running from last season, and with the addition of Kupp and Reynolds (plus Watkins, Thomas, and Woods), we appear to have a good young group of WRs. I've really liked the way the WR corps is coming together without Austin, and I wonder if his days as a WR are numbered. Not that I'd like to cut him. I think he'd be extremely dangerous getting most of his touches coming out of the backfield a la Darren Sproles. He'd probably be matched up on LBs then, and he'd eat their lunch all day.

fearsomefour

Legend
The biggest thing lacking from the Rams passing game last year (there was a lot of course) was intermediate stuff.
The quick outs and shorts lateral stuff. Yuck.
The deep ball wasn't there. Deep passes are great and exciting but the intermediate stuff is where most good passing teams make their living.
Cooper can contribute here greatly. Versus Dallas that little pass he caught about 4 or 5 yards downfield and turned it into about a 12 or 13 yard gain.....good example. Ran a clean route, got inside the DB and was explosive.
It's amazing how many more weapons the Rams appear to have in the passing game compared to last year.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If I'm not mistaken, Cooper and Reynolds led the SEC in receiving the past 2 years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My concern with Cooper last year was about his hands.

Well, when he hung onto that pass despite a vicious hit by the Raider, I felt a helluva lot better about those hands. Lol.

Nobody has ever doubted Cooper's football smarts, that's for sure.

I love having smart football players on the team. What a concept.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
when he was playing for USC, (the original USC)
Stop it

http://www.sc.edu/about/our_history/

Founded in 1801, then-South Carolina College flourished pre-Civil War, overcame postwar struggles, was rechartered in 1906 as a university and transformed itself as a national institution in the 20th and 21st centuries.

https://about.usc.edu/history/
When USC first opened its doors to 53 students and 10 teachers in 1880, the “city” still lacked paved streets, electric lights, telephones and a reliable fire alarm system.
That place was SCC when USC was born. LOL

jap

Legend
It's good for Jared that Cooper Kupp is out this weekend. I would rather he not become too dependent on any one receiver as we have quite a number of guys with great hands on this team now, and it is preferable that he develop great rapports with all of them over time. I wouldn't mind seeing Todd sneaking downfield every now & then either.

Ram65

Legend
Cooper is the type of player that needs others around him to be good in order to be successful IMHO. Having Watkins, Woods & Austin make him better because he can run, but he is more quick than fast and he's not going to beat anybody deep, however, can make the tough catch going over the middle.

The WR 10 yard splits were post a couple weeks ago and IIRC he was 2nd fastest to Tavon. So far he has gotten some separation and made the catches. He looks a like a nice fit backup/second tier WR that can play all three spots. Many were counting him out not too long ago.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many were counting him out not too long ago.

And I was one of them.
giphy.gif