PFF’s Offensive Rookie of the Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Big surprise at second runner up.Good job Mr Snead

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-offensive-rookie-of-the-year-jameis-winston/

PFF’s Offensive Rookie of the Year: Jameis Winston
Gordon McGuinness reveals PFF's 2015 selection for Offensive Rookie of the Year, along with three runners-up.

Gordon McGuinness | 14 hours ago
AP_169605173760.jpg

(Jeff Haynes/AP Images for Panini)

Here are the top offensive rookies in the NFL this season, based on our PFF grades and data:

Winner
Jameis Winston, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Winston’s rookie season had its ups and downs, which was to be expected, but throughout the year we saw numerous big throws from Winston. It’s a relatively small sample size, but from Weeks 10-15, he was the sixth-highest-graded quarterback in the NFL, and if you remove his Week 1 debacle and only evaluate him from Week 2 on, he ranked eighth. He was at his best when the Tampa Bay offensive line kept pressure from getting in his way, seeing his completion percentage drop from 63.9 percent without pressure, compared to 47.8 percent when under pressure.

Winston made his mark throwing the ball downfield, with a 5-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio on passes 20 yards or more downfield. All in all, it was an impressive rookie campaign for the No. 1 overall pick.

First runner-up
Todd Gurley, RB, St. Louis Rams

We weren’t meant to see this from Gurley, not yet anyway. Plenty of people thought the Rams were being illogical for selecting a running back coming off of a devastating knee injury with the 10th overall pick. But there he was after the first month of the season, in the Rams starting lineup and showing shiftiness combined with strength that made him a superstar at the collegiate level. Gurley rushed for 125 yards or more in each of his first four starts, but the highlight of his rookie season was the Week 7 game against the Cleveland Browns. A whopping 110 of his 128 yards came after contact, and he forced nine missed tackles. For the season he totaled 42 forced missed tackles, and recorded the fourth-highest elusive rating among starting running backs.

Second runner-up
Rob Havenstein, OT, St. Louis Rams

It’s definitely not bad news for the Rams that they appear to have made smart choices in Rounds 1 and 2 of the 2015 NFL Draft, with Havenstein joining Gurley as an integral part of their offense right away. Havenstein cracked the starting lineup in 13 games on the right side of the St. Louis offensive line, and looks like he will be a pillar moving forward. His play dipped in the final three weeks of the year, but it was a solid first season for the former Wisconsin Badger. From Weeks 2-14 he had the fourth-highest grade among right tackles, and on the year didn’t allow a single sack — he was the only offensive tackle to do so. His run blocking didn’t jump out at you when you watched him play, but it didn’t get him into trouble, either.

Third runner-up
Stefon Diggs, WR, Minnesota Vikings

It was a close battle between two wide receivers for our third runner-up spot, with Seattle’s Tyler Lockett just losing out to the Vikings’ fifth-round draft pick in Diggs. He didn’t play in the first three weeks of the year, but was in the starting lineup by Week 6, and despite the late start he finished second only to Amari Cooper in receiving yards among rookies. Where he really excelled was with his consistency. Diggs dropped just two of the 54 catchable passes thrown his way, giving him a drop rate of just 3.70, the highest mark among rookies, and 11th-best among all wide receivers. He also proved tough to bring down for opposing defenders, forcing 13 missed tackles on 52 receptions, tied for 13th-best for all receivers.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Gurley hands down. Winston was the sixth best QB in 5 weeks? Gurley was third best in the entire league, playing half the games. Winston had some big plays? So did that Gurley guy. I don't think it's really close. Winston gets the bonus points I guess because he plays QB.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
I don't think it was even close either. Sheesh. If you are going to use just a "small sample size", Gurley still should win. One showed he might become a very good player. The other showed he might become one of the top players in the HOF.

Having 2 of the top 4 rookies is a very good thing though....

Last edited:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Second runner-up
Rob Havenstein, OT, St. Louis Rams

This I like even more!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
People doubted me when I took Havenstein in that 32 team mock draft! Love how he panned out, swooooooosh! :yess:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Gurley will get his share of hardware let Winston enjoy the only award he'll probably ever win.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
We knew Gurley would feature but to see Havenstein in there too is great.

Say what you like about PFF (and a lot of people do) but their approach does at least mean that every player is looked at regardless of team/market/flavour of the month etc. I'm guessing Rob isn't on most people's radars despite not having given up a sack all year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Congratulations to both Gurley and Havenstein for their recognised stellar performance this year - but also credit where credit's due must go to Snead and Fisher for the choices :bow::bow::bow:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams have drafted well the last four years when you look from outside of the box.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Gurley hands down. Winston was the sixth best QB in 5 weeks? Gurley was third best in the entire league, playing half the games. Winston had some big plays? So did that Gurley guy. I don't think it's really close. Winston gets the bonus points I guess because he plays QB.

PFF awards are just fluff, hopefully when the actual hardware gets handed out consideration is given to the roles they played for their teams. Rams would be 3-13 without Gurley.

Gurley came off an ACL tear and is a Pro Bowler, Jameis isn't.

Winston played on a top five offense, Gurley a bottom five.
Winston had a 1400 yard rusher, 1200 yard receivers, a 500/500 guy in Charles Sims and Vincent Jackson. Gurley had........
Tampa's OC got promoted, Rams OC got fired.
And the Rams ended up winning more games anyway.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Gurley couldn't win this because PFF already gave Donald the DPOY spot. They wouldn't give the OROY to the Rams too so Winston won by default.