PFF Team Needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I really hope that they focus on DL in the draft. Kobie was awesome for us last year, but we really have to keep the "AD effect" in mind. It really is/was a thing. He spent his career as a terror but ALSO made everyone around him look better.
Good points but it's not just about losing AD. How many DT do we have under contract after this season?

1 Kobie and he's a keeper.
2 Bobby Brown is in his final year.
3 Murchison got a 1 yr deal.
4 Desjuan Johnson is a 2nd year guy like Kobie (2 yrs after 2024) but we really don't know what we have in him.
5 Durden is signed through 2025 but hell we know even less about him?

Taking a DT in the first 2 or 3 rounds should help with talent and control.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

LOS ANGELES RAMS

Team Needs: EDGE, CB, LB

The Rams solidified several key spots in free agency, primarily their offensive line. Now, their attention turns to a defense that finished last in the NFL in coverage grade and just saw an all-time legend, Aaron Donald, retire. Kobie Turner is an excellent player inside who can at least partially fill Donald’s shoes, but the Rams edge group ranked 30th in overall grade last season.

On the backend, Los Angeles still needs more talent, even after adding solid veterans like Darious Williams, Kamren Curl and Tre'Davious White. The Rams could still look at the cornerback draft class early while filling in a thin linebacker room in the middle rounds of the draft.

Pretty accurate but I'd think AD's retirement jumps DT up into that group. And at CB, with the two signings I think that slides down a bit, unless you have already given up on Durant, Kendricks and Tomlinson. LB is a need. Are we forgetting about RB#2? I'd say that's fairly important. We have Kyren, Rivers and Evans and those last two are hardly "experienced or proven". Definitely need to bring in another RB. Despite having Kupp, Puka, D Rob and Tutu, I'd say we could use another WR too. Skow is okay in a pinch but he's mainly a ST performer.

Agree. DT and Edge (OLB) should be prioritized. If we are unable to draft the guys we need there,
I could easily see us trading away some 2025 picks to address the pash rush.
Also need to see growth from Byron Young and Turner.

CB need has dropped. We have a good mix of veteran and young guys in the secondary.
Depth at any position is always welcome, but with White's injury I think there may be a definite need here.

100% with you on the RB2 need. Someone with RB1-B ability would be ideal
I think there will be a few of those backs left in the 3-5rd range.

Can't play the power run game without a tight #2. Have to keep Kyren as healthy and
fresh as a 17+ game schedule will allow.

Could use a WR as well, though I am Skow fan. I think he has a place in the offense.
though he is a niche type WR like Atwell, they just share different niches.

Always enjoy your well thought out posts PARAM. :beer2:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, this year is all about offense. If the defense can be middle of the pack they can win plenty of games. If the defense is the reason they fall short of their goal of making it to the Superbowl, I expect them to upgrade several positions next year. And maybe another all in.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
And maybe another all in.

If we can obtain a pass rush, I think this year could a "all in"
Don't think this year has been all about offense. We did address our Defensive backfield.
And I think this draft will be very heavy defensively.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well, this year is all about offense. If the defense can be middle of the pack they can win plenty of games. If the defense is the reason they fall short of their goal of making it to the Superbowl, I expect them to upgrade several positions next year. And maybe another all in.
Last year the mantra was "our defense is gonna suck. Too young. Too inexperiened." And, "if they could only be middle of the pack, we'd be fine. Just don't see it". And then they were and we made the postseason.

My first hope is health. If we have good health the TEAM is going to be really good. Next, I 'm thinking maybe the loss of AD won't be as devastating as we always thought.

We'll miss his leadership for sure, like the example he set daily. But with the best player on the team, perhaps the best player in the league and arguably one of the best players ever.....we still didn't get enough QB pressure.

If we can find a way to generate that pressure, it might soften the loss of the great one. And there are multiple ways to generate it. Drafting some D studs is a start in that direction.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Last year the mantra was "our defense is gonna suck. Too young. Too inexperiened." And, "if they could only be middle of the pack, we'd be fine. Just don't see it". And then they were and we made the postseason.

My first hope is health. If we have good health the TEAM is going to be really good. Next, I 'm thinking maybe the loss of AD won't be as devastating as we always thought.

We'll miss his leadership for sure, like the example he set daily. But with the best player on the team, perhaps the best player in the league and arguably one of the best players ever.....we still didn't get enough QB pressure.

If we can find a way to generate that pressure, it might soften the loss of the great one. And there are multiple ways to generate it. Drafting some D studs is a start in that direction.
Totally agree about the injury part as I truly believe injuries to the right positions on any team can make and break a season. It's a ruthless, unforgiving game so that part is always a wild card. With that said, I wish the Whiners the worst health, worst luck, worst everything.......cuz fuck em!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One position that typically doesn't cost much is kicker. They need a more reliable kicker than the ones they had last season. That kid with the Michigan UFL team might be one to look at. He kicked a 64 yard field goal to win the game today.

The thing is, he did it twice. The first one went through but the Battlehawks called a timeout right before the snap. Then he lines up and kicks it through again. On top of that, he hadn't kicked a field goal since high school. That kid had ice in his veins today. And a strong leg. We should be giving him a look come training camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Clearly the Rams knew what they were doing last season. But what does the defense look like if some team would have taken Turner. The Rams are not infallible and last year was last year. This year is this year. There is certainly room for them to come up short this season on defense if they are not careful.

Because AD coming off the field changes everything. He wasn't the same guy last season that he was early in his career, I think he was starting to slow down a bit. But he was still AD and still having a significant effect on the field.

So I don't expect the Rams to be cavalier about the DL. I don't think they're going to push their luck in that regard. I'm expecting two DL in this draft, barring a situation like where they end up signing Calais Campbell late in the window. But even he is an iffy deal, where the guy is very long in the tooth so I don't know if there's a way around it this year. They need a starter level player added to this DL and they also could use another rotation piece, even if it's just a mid to late round run stuffer type.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Clearly the Rams knew what they were doing last season. But what does the defense look like if some team would have taken Turner. The Rams are not infallible and last year was last year. This year is this year. There is certainly room for them to come up short this season on defense if they are not careful.

Because AD coming off the field changes everything. He wasn't the same guy last season that he was early in his career, I think he was starting to slow down a bit. But he was still AD and still having a significant effect on the field.

So I don't expect the Rams to be cavalier about the DL. I don't think they're going to push their luck in that regard. I'm expecting two DL in this draft, barring a situation like where they end up signing Calais Campbell late in the window. But even he is an iffy deal, where the guy is very long in the tooth so I don't know if there's a way around it this year. They need a starter level player added to this DL and they also could use another rotation piece, even if it's just a mid to late round run stuffer type.
I know they're not infallable. But just because last year was last year it doesn't mean this year will be worse. Hell, it could be even better. We never know. Intelligent selections, saavy trades, good execution........just like a play on the field. I too believe we'll see some DL names called. I also believe we're gonna see some offensive names called. We did fill some holes in free agency though, which allows us more latitude in the draft.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Junior Colson is my favourite LB - now that I have watched some film - by quite some way. There are a lot of great DT prospects so we can wait IMO. Premium Edge talent drys up after Booker. Trice looks similar to Maxx Crosby or is it just me?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I know they're not infallable. But just because last year was last year it doesn't mean this year will be worse. Hell, it could be even better. We never know. Intelligent selections, saavy trades, good execution........just like a play on the field. I too believe we'll see some DL names called. I also believe we're gonna see some offensive names called. We did fill some holes in free agency though, which allows us more latitude in the draft.
This draft is stacked with Edge CB and DTs so I agree with your optimism

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Man, I agree with you on Cornerback; and would add Wide Receiver but not sure I see a ton of depth at Edge and D-Line. Hope you're right though!
I will be fascinated to see whether we trade down because as long as you don’t drop off the map this is a great year to need defenders. There are so many good players across the board that some will be drafted later than where they would probably have gone last year

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Man, I agree with you on Cornerback; and would add Wide Receiver but not sure I see a ton of depth at Edge and D-Line. Hope you're right though!
Which Edge and DTs do you like as potential starters this year? I see the DTs as being able to contribute this year (and start in the future). We need an Edge to start so that is more problematic but there great prospects even if you probably need to pick no later than 40 if you want a player like Trice (who would be great on the strong side)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I will be fascinated to see whether we trade down because as long as you don’t drop off the map this is a great year to need defenders. There are so many good players across the board that some will be drafted later than where they would probably have gone last year
Hope your optimism proves right.

Think it's more common for teams to want to trade-down than up, so it can be difficult to accomplish.

Also, not feeling the great-depth on Defense, other than at cornerback.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Which Edge and DTs do you like as potential starters this year? I see the DTs as being able to contribute this year (and start in the future). We need an Edge to start so that is more problematic but there great prospects even if you probably need to pick no later than 40 if you want a player like Trice (who would be great on the strong side)

No strong opinions since I watch so little college football; and think YouTube highlights can be misleading, and should not be relied upon as much as they are but viewed more to get a feel for a player's traits.

For example, last year, I jumped on the traits of Calijah Kancey who was under-sized but appeared to have explosive quickness and power, and played with leverage. Another poster insisted he would be a late-round pick or undrafted free agent. Kancey went at #19 overall last year ... that's the Rams pick in a few weeks.

Read and watch everything I can this time of year just to try and get to a consensus of what commentators, analysts and evaluators think.

From what I have read and seen thus far, I don't think Turner and Verse are there at #19; and Latu, should he check-out medically, may be the best Edge-option if he's available at #19. Other Edge players that intrigue me are Braswell in the 2nd; and, if available, Kneeland, Booker, Solomon and Isaac in the 3rd. Later rounds? ... Jalyx Hunt and Eric Watts are interesting.

At D-Line, my preferences (in order) would be Newton, Murphy and Fiske. Really like Fiske from what I saw at Senior Bowl practices and game, and the Combine. However, don't see Fiske there at #52. After that, I really don't have strong opinions but Masson Smith, if he makes it to the 3rd, could be intriguing.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
No strong opinions because I watch so little college football; and think YouTube highlights can be misleading, and should not be relied upon as much as they are but viewed more to get a feel for a player's traits.

For example, last year, I jumped on the traits of Calijah Kancey who was under-sized but appeared to have explosive quickness and power, and played with leverage. Another poster insisted he would be a late-round pick or undrafted free agent. Kancey went at #19 overall last year ... that's the Rams pick in a few weeks.

Read and watch everything I can this time of year just to try and get to a consensus of what commentators, analysts and evaluators think.

From what I have read and seen thus far, I don't think Turner and Verse are there at #19; and Latu, should he check-out medically, may be the best Edge-option if he's available at #19. Other Edge players that intrigue me are Braswell in the 2nd; and, if available, Kneeland, Booker, Solomon and Isaac in the 3rd. Later rounds? ... Jalyx Hunt and Eric Watts are interesting.

At D-Line, my preferences (in order) would be Newton, Murphy and Fiske. Really like Fiske from what I saw at Senior Bowl practices and game, and the Combine. However, don't see Fiske there at #52. After that, I really don't have strong opinions but Masson Smith, if he makes it to the 3rd, could be intriguing.
I have a similar sense to you. I think, for us, it’s best to trade down but agree it might not play out that way. There are teams with multiple 2nd round picks where the trade value coild potentially meet their need/desire for a player. Alternatively, I would love to see us trade down a few spots to accrue draft capital as the drop off from 19 to the 40s will be nothing great at DT and Edge in my opinion - mainly because there could be a run at CB and WR

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Junior Colson is my favourite LB - now that I have watched some film - by quite some way. There are a lot of great DT prospects so we can wait IMO. Premium Edge talent drys up after Booker. Trice looks similar to Maxx Crosby or is it just me?
Which DT prospects look great to you? I agree that after Booker, who is projected as a 3rd, the edge talent drys up. I see the same for DT. After the 3rd, it's slim pickings. I actually like the edge class depth slightly better than the DT class.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm actually pretty high on Trice and do see some similarities. Unfortunately, I think Trice is a 4-3 DE only really. Not sure he has the movement skills to drop back like we require of our Edges. Do love Trice though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trice is an interesting player yeah. I watched a lot of Washington's games as they have quite a few players I like. His problem is he doesn't have one of the two things you need to be an elite edge: bend or juice. He's kind of lumbering, but I think he's quite excellent in a few ways that to me are important: has excellent strength through contact, busts his ass in traffic, and has surprising burst in short areas when he needs it. Also he moves well laterally.

4/5T or strong side Edge are his positions at this level IMO. I think he's got the versatility for either. He's the kind of player Parcells or Belicheat would prioritize because you can do different things with him. Could probably play him on interior techniques on pass downs because he's strong enough to not get blown off the ball if they run it.

One thing too is I don't think he's particularly advanced in technique. So that with his strength could bode well for him. Could be one of those guys who ends up being a better pro.

I seriously doubt he makes it to our round 2 pick. So if the Rams really like him and want to position for him it would likely be after a trade down.