PFF ranks Rams’ receiving corps 3rd best in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ving-corps-third-best-in-nfl-cooks-woods-kupp

PFF ranks Los Angeles Rams’ receiving corps third best in the NFL

How do the Rams’ receivers stack up against the rest of the league? Prettay, prettay, prettay good

By Brandon Bate

usa_today_11328816.0.jpg

If you’ve been a Los Angeles Rams’ fan for a while, then you probably remember the days when you’d be discussing their receivers and be forced to include the words “The Rams haven’t had a receiver eclipse 1,000 yards since...” The pursuit of that true No. 1, game-changing receiver had been going on since the Greatest Show on Turf days. If you didn’t suffer through it, let me just tell you that it was hard to imagine and even harder to stomach.

The good news now is that those days are behind us. The Rams are finally good at football again (!) and they’re loaded with talent on offense. The Rams haven’t had a receiver eclipse 1,000 yards since...well, last season. They had two! And I think we can pretty confidently say that had Cooper Kupp not sustained a season-ending knee injury, the Rams could have had three receivers accomplish the feat.

Even better, the Rams have their trio of star wideouts locked up for a while. Kupp, still on his rookie deal, is signed through 2021. Robert Woods’ contract expires in 2022, and Brandin Cooks is on a 5-year deal through 2024. If you’re a Rams fan you’ve got to be encouraged. If you’re Jared Goff, you’ve got to be thrilled.

It’s the 2019 offseason, at least for a little while longer, so there have to be lists. People love a good list. So I’ve got one I’d like to share with you. Over at Pro Football Focus, they’re looking at each team’s receiving corps heading into the regular season and ranking them from worst to first. If you’re a Jaguars’ fan, I’d just suggest not clicking and moving on to another article altogether.

The Philadelphia Eagles landed atop PFF’s rankings, having added DeSean Jackson and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside to what they refer to as an already “above-average unit in 2018.” The Atlanta Falcons took the second spot because of Julio Jones. Honestly, they could’ve just written “Julio Jones” and I think we all would’ve understood the message.

Your Los Angeles Rams get the bronze medal today.

3. LOS ANGELES RAMS

In 2018, Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks and Cooper Kupp all finished among the top-30 wide receivers in overall grade. The Rams are the only team heading into 2019 that can claim to have three wide receivers in that group. Considering that Kupp appears primed to return from his ACL injury and that the Rams used 11 personnel on over 90% of their snaps in 2018, those three should share the field often in 2019.

While you may still have fond memories of Mike Sims-Walker, Brandon Gibson, Kenny Britt (or any of the AFROS for that matter), Mardy Gilyard, Titus Young or Wes Welker, both of whom were Rams for about 17 minutes, rest assured the Rams are in a good spot with their current corps of receivers.

Fair? Foul? How do you think the Rams’ receiving corps - to include their TE’s - stack up against the NFL’s best?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Does an offense make the WR's or does the WR's make an offense.

giphy.gif

Depends on the talent level: prime Randy Moss would make the offense and McVay' offense would make Woods respectively good

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lawl at PFF thinking that two 1,000 yard receivers in their twenties, one of the best slot receivers in the game (and another potential 1,000 yard threat in his twenties), and one of the best fourth receivers in the league - also in his twenties - ranks anything less than numero uno.

Philly adding an over-the-hill Jackson and a rookie changes nothing. Same with the Falcons ranking this high over one receiver. I don't care if he is Julio Jones; he's only one guy, and he's had his fair share of injuries.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams may have the best WR/TE/RB units since the 1999 SB wining season. Two decades....

Holt/ Bruce/ Hakim/ Proehl/ Horne or Reynolds/ Woods/ Cook/ Kupp/ Thomas

What about the TE's Ernie Conwell & Roland Williams or Tyler Higbee & Gerald Everett

What about the RB's Faulk/ Holcombe/ Watson/ Amp Lee or Gurley/ Brown/ Henderson/ Kelly

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Mardy Gilyard..! That takes me back

Yeah. He, Stedman, Tavon, Lutzenkirchen (may he rest in peace) and Klopfenstein (yes, Joe Klopfenstein) were guys I wanted to succeed.

Just goes to show that not everyone makes it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. He, Stedman, Tavon, Lutzenkirchen (may he rest in peace) and Klopfenstein (yes, Joe Klopfenstein) were guys I wanted to succeed.

I'm not happy saying it...But when I think of Ram's Draft failure, I think of Joe Klopfenstein and Billy Devaney

bluecoconuts

Legend
Mardy Gilyard..! That takes me back

I remember sports science having him run routes while blindfolded and I thought he might have it.

Then he said he saw a bunch of 81 jerseys and was excited fans were wearing his jersey and I knew he was doomed. Those were Holt jerseys dummy!

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Stedman was the best of the bunch, great hands and route runner.. What happened to him was tragic and I'm still sad for him.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame

i had high hopes for J-Klo, though the coolest thing about him ended up having a cousin in Reel Big Fish

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My only beef: Titus Young wasn't ever a Ram. He came into the building and left without a contract. And within the time it takes to order a food truck burrito, he found a way to lose his damn mind (not making fun of his serious mental issues)

But yeah, we wandered through the draft desert for a LOOOONG time.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eagles WRs should not be ahead of ours lol.

They must be thinking of prime Alshon for that - he hasn't been that guy for a while.

Faclons WRs ahead of ours I have no issue with. I think Kupp is better than Sanu, but he's still a good slot WR. Ridley isn't as good as Woods, but Julio blows Cooks out of the water.

Ram65

Legend
How do they grade?

Doesn't seem like it is easy to compare. Eagles getting Jackson helps them open up the field. He can still run. Wentz likes Ertz over Jeffey who had more success with Foles. Agholor in the slot has been up and down.They got the big rookie Arcega-Whiteside who has looked good early in camp.. If you count tight ends I think they could be the best.

The Falcons have Jones, Sanu and Ridley. They are a nice group with JJ above the rest wide receivers in the league.

The Rams are now four deep with Reynolds gaining valuable experience. We know how good Cooks, Woods and Kupp are. Hard to say they aren't the best. Missing Kupp last year may lower their rating. Would be nice to see all three get 1,000 yards plus this year.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
There's not a WR corps in the league I would trade for what the Rams currently have. Kupp is always open and Woods is, too, plus dude might be the best blocking WR in the league. And Brandin Cooks is Brandin Cooks.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our receiving corps is greater than the sum of its parts. I think all of our receivers are extremely dangerous. I wouldn’t put Ridley in that category. He is more capable than he is dangerous. Todd Gurley’s presence Makes our receivers the most dangerous in the league.