PFF Ranks Rams OL 31'st in the League ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
As a diehard unbiased Ram fan I can say their evaluation last year of our lineman matched up real close to what I saw on film for all 16 games.

The oline however did improve towards the end of the year in 2015 mostly due to the emergence of Wichmann and also due to the return of Havenstein to the lineup. Both are easily our two best lineman next to Saffold when he is healthy.

Reynolds was also real solid last year.

So here is where my optimism is this year. With a healthy Saffold Havenstein and Wichmann starting we will have the best three lineman on our team on the field at the same time. Something we didn't ever have last year. It also appears that Barnes may have improved here in his second full year based on preseason play.

So it really leaves us with Grob as the question mark. If he is improved, our Oline will have literally improved at every position. And if he has not, I would agree with PFF that the Rams would be wise to go with Reynolds once he comes off the IR over Grob, as Reynolds graded out real well in 2015 while Grob graded out as the 2nd worst Tackle in the NFL. And really, his technique didn't improve much towards the end of the year as some want to imagine but he did face lesser talent.

IF we can avoid the injury bug, the Oline has potential to be top 15.

HellRam

Starter
I'm going off memory here...but I believe PFF ranked the Rams 28th overall for performance last season. I won't argue that, the pass blocking was bad mostly all season. The run blocking was much better but still inconsistent.

That said I don't see this unit being a 31st ranked group. Like a previous poster said PFF does not grade potential.

I'm expecting the Rams to have a top 20 offensive line this season. Havenstien, Whichman are the two pieces I really like. Barnes is underrated. Robinson and Brown need to step up the most IMO. This is still a younger group that will take some time. However they will be a stregnth sooner then later.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
This is great locker-room fodder,
PFF Ranks Rams OL 31'st in the League ...
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Least amount of sacks and 3rd best rusher in the league. Those 2 facts alone show how much these rankings are bullshit. Then add that the aforementioned rusher will actually start the year beyond where he (tiredly) left off, and that we'll have all the starters healthy and improved, that's just total bullshit.

Ellard80

Legend
Lol... we gave up the least amount of Sacks last year and had the 7th ranked rushing offense...

Amateur hour.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
is Garrett Reynolds on the short term IR or season ending?

If you have multiple players on IR, i'm not sure if one of them has to be designated immediately one way or the other as far as eligibility for return goes. Perhaps that decision might be decided when you get closer to 6'th week. jmo.

Wiki - Injured Reserve :

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3]Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If you have multiple players on IR, i'm not sure if one of them has to be designated immediately one way or the other as far as eligibility for return goes. Perhaps that decision might be decided when you get closer to 6'th week. jmo.

Wiki - Injured Reserve :

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3]Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.
Oh ... well wasn't he "placed on IR" during cut downs? that would make him ineligible according to this. He is not part of the final 53 as far as I know

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Least amount of sacks and 3rd best rusher in the league. Those 2 facts alone show how much these rankings are bullcrap. Then add that the aforementioned rusher will actually start the year beyond where he (tiredly) left off, and that we'll have all the starters healthy and improved, that's just total bullcrap.

Lol... we gave up the least amount of Sacks last year and had the 7th ranked rushing offense...

Amateur hour.
True ... but we also had the least amount of pass attempts...So the Sacks stat is a little misleading.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh ... well wasn't he "placed on IR" during cut downs? that would make him ineligible according to this. He is not part of the final 53 as far as I know

Yeah, that language looks pretty vague. There really is no such thing as a 'final 53 man pre-season roster' since pre-season allows up to 90 players and the pre-season is what determines the 53 man 'regular season roster'. Anyway, many veteran, drafted rookies & UDFA players have been injured during the pre-season and been designated to IR status. The question is really about whether they must be designated for the 8 week or full season absence, and while I believe a team doesn't need to make that decision immediately, don't quote me on it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
PFF
31. Los Angeles Rams
200.gif

Athos

Legend
Some on those list seem too high, others too low.

Rams have zero quality depth tho. An injury on the line leads to weaknesses everywhere. No higher than 22-25.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I feel just the opposite. .... I love our depth at Oline and although I think they will be even better next year ..... I'll guess top 12......

Go Rams.......... ;)