PFF QB RANKINGS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He didn't protect the ball
Forgot/didn't know he needed to switch it to his left (outside) hand...Silly mistake...he can still grow for it...I was actually excited for him, in the open field with a full head of steam. I wonder is he in Fishers doghouse.....?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Warner did a lot of covering for that Oline as well.
Until Palmer came in....the Cardinals improved the LT position with Palmer there....the guys who followed Warner played with basically the same line and basically stunk it up.
A vet QB who can get rid of the ball quickly and find the reads can cover a lot for a suspect line.

Agree Totally. Warner took hits and kept getting up over and over again and he had the poise to not let the pain effect him having happy feet or adjusting his progressions or throws. Warner RAISED the level of his UNKNOWN wide recievers that once he left those recievers went back to invisible forever. Just as we saw Az Hakim a #3 reciever for the RAMS get paid TOP DOLLAR to be another teams #1 reciever and fall on his face trying to do it. Foles took a hit early in Packers game that effected how he played the rest of the game(No Penalty). He never was able to play with pain the same as Warner. Warner was special in his pain tolerance level over any other QB I've ever seen EVER. Had a catchers mit swollen broken hand and was starting in NY. That game led to him leaving town too.

Nick Foles (SO FAR) has not risen this bunch of recievers as Warner did in Arizona . You can name Boldin and Fitzgerald but name the next 4 that caught the most touchdowns while they went to the SB. Boldin and Fitzgerald both missed games and that team did'nt miss a beat. Warner beat aaron Rodgers in a shootout Playoff game that was Kurt warners second to last game EVER and the NFL rates it as their second highest shootout game ever with Warner having 5 Passing TD's and only 4 incompletions (Without Boldin) beating the Packers and Rodgers who had all his weapons he is missing today.

So one game later at saints and Greg Williams put a bounty on Warner and he got hit and retired. Knocked Favre out of game the next week and won the SB.

We need our QB to raise the level of what we have today as coach Sherman has had plenty of time with these guys. Quick?????? NO ONE KNOWS . Without a passing game NO Playoffs guys. We also beat McCowns ASS with 18 hurries and 7 hits and sacks but he had a shitload of completions with (I THINK) only 6 incompletions under all that duress. Wish I had the stats here. We let Kirk Cousins do what he did yesterday to us too. Our DB's are getting TONS of Love here ,but why so many passes completed? We saw Palmer do the same but stopped in red zone.

GOD BLESS the RAMS Redzone "D". We gave Aaron Rodgers his toughest time in forever. WE only had success in only 1-9 Third downs yesterday. Same as Skins game,yet our "D" put up 10 points early that basically won the game. Our whole first half was a nightmare on offense.

We now get another shot at winning 2 games in a row. Do you guys think giving our WR's extra Juggs time is the only answer at them getting better and not dropping passes or CATCHING THE TOUGH BALLS TO CATCH. We have not seen much of that either. Why have we not thrown that same route we threw to Tavon Austin in Arizona for a touchdown? Crossing route/slant pattern. I like Cignetti but wonder why Foles comes out looking Dissinterested as if he did'nt know he was only gonna have 2.5 seconds to get off and complete a throw???? McCown did against our DL. We had 3 yards in our first two series and yet 10 points from our "D" . You won't see that very often. A slow start against the Whiners could cost us men. IT IS GO TIME MEN!!!!!!!:icare:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One school of thought believes that putting together a great O-line is paramount while having a great QB is secondary.

Others believe a great QB can make a mediocre O-line look better than it is.

Many consider the Cowboys O-line to be one of the best and that any QB can win with them blocking and any RB will do well. Maybe our buddy @Rynie can explain what happened there. My guess is that he will also throw the absence of Dez Bryant into the mix.

The point is that there are a combination of factors that have to be working in order for an NFL team to be effective. Put consistent pressure on any QB and he will have problems completing passes. If the WR's aren't getting open or the running game is ineffectual, or the wrong plays are being called, or the scheme isn't the right fit for the players, then nothing will work right. Nick Foles is only partly to blame for our weak offensive efforts so far.
Yeah.. there used to be a guy on a board I used to belong to... his screen name was "Team-Sport".

I remember him trying to get some others to understand the concept... many never did.

But it is true! It is a team sport!! ;)

rams2050

Starter
Foles is a QB who brings more than his QB rating suggests. Fact is the Rams are 3-3 with him at the helm in spite of a very tough schedule. T

New coordinator, rookie O-line (well SOME rookies, and they have never before played together), no true #! receiver (go to guy) other than Stedman, who for some strange reason is rarely targeted, new scheme, new everything and we want him to be the second coming of Tom Brady only WITHOUT the cheating? Oh, wait -- without the cheating Brady would be pedestrian, at best. :yess:

Anyway, I think he CAN improve -- a LOT -- but only IF HE DOESN"T FIRST GET KILLED! That, as you may recall, almost happened in the Green Bay game. It is a testament to his toughness that he could get up, wipe himself off, go soak in a tub, and declare himself 'not hurting badly at all' the next day. AND THEN go out, two weeks later, without knowing whether he would be absorbing another BEATING the likes of which Rocky never experienced.

I say we won't know what Foles is or can do or will be until at least several games into the 2016 season. Maybe, though, lightning can strike again. . . One can only hope!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
these stats are still pointless gibberish. Luck missed 2 games so of course he wont rank high. He and Manning will be in the playoffs.

Manning yes, Luck only because the Colts are in a terrible division where they currently lead with a 3-4 record. Would love to see the Rams swap divisions with the Colts and play 6 games a season against the Texans, Titans, and Jaguars.

Yeah.. there used to be a guy on a board I used to belong to... his screen name was "Team-Sport".

I remember him trying to get some others to understand the concept... many never did.

But it is true! It is a team sport!! ;)

Yes indeed. Met the man on several occasions. Unfortunately he's a die hard over at Rams Talk. He'd fit in nicely here.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
If you think 11 TDs to 21 INTs is phenomenal, than we have a QB better than Steve Young!
Great point as it relates to the overall point of the thread, but it's also fun to imagine what a bust he would have been had he not moved to the pussy wco system. Then again there would have just been some other overrated asshat in his place.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes indeed. Met the man on several occasions. Unfortunately he's a die hard over at Rams Talk. He'd fit in nicely here.

Yes, I recall meeting him as well... he would fit in here I believe. Too bad he's stuck in the muck. :(

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're seeing that because of the amount of play fakes Foles has to run so these WRs can get even a half yard on a DB. WRs aren't good at separating. Foles isn't good on the rare occasion they do beat their guy.
I see what you are saying but Tavon gets open pretty much all the time now Stedman does as well. To me though throwing to Britt and Quick they have a different type of open if Files can start putting the ball in play and in reach they can go and get it. Their being "open" is different then the other receivers on the team. Foles just has a real accuracy and arm strength problem to make them effective, because when he do throw it right they can make the catch even the catch to Quick that's wasn't a catch because he stepped out of bounds or the 41 yarder to Britt are great example of their separation

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's a complex game, stats don't tell the story. The story is like a good crime novel, but the eyeball test does work, if you know what you are looking at. As far as Foles, we don't know the whole story, the all 22, the play which was called, if a receiver ran the correct route, what the coaches have asked Foles to do in certain situations, etc, etc.

Our eyeballs do tell us other things, like, how long does the QB hold the ball, how fast does he go through his progressions, how accurate he is, how does he operate within the pocket, can he get yards with his legs, decision making, etc.

I'm happy to hear that some of you are throwing stats out of the window. Only a few stats really matter, and are telling.

Rainram

Starter
First, whats the difference between awful or bad...2nd, that Cleveland game was average in your opinion?
I realize there's some subjectivity there...but I digress. As for the Cleveland game...I think he was above-average actually. Just for fun...and if anyone enjoys some light reading...I re-watched the game went through every single one of our pass plays. Somehow I jacked it up, cuz I have him 14/24 where as his stat line is 15/23. I'm tired and don't care to go through it all again to find what I messed up. but here is my breakdown:

- 1st and 10…first play. Quick pass. First read. Good read. Woulda been an easy 5 yards. Hit Britt in the hands, but he didn’t hold on as he was hit by Desir. Should have been as easy 5 yard pickup on 1st down. To be objective, I suppose Foles could have led him more to the sideline. But he hit him square in the hands. 0/1

- 3rd and 15…Browns rush 3 and keep 8 guys back. There was no way we’re picking up the first…especially once Jamon Brown gets whooped by one of the 3 rushers (really???). He still delivered a pass to Cunningham to get what little we could. 1/2

- 3rd and 8…Browns blitz one LBer. Foles may have bailed out a little early… possibly…but pressure was coming. If he stays in the pocket he probably gets sacked or throws it away. He got a positive 3 yards out of it on a little out to Cook. Couldn’t tell if anyone else was open. In what little I could see and piece together, looked like a good decision. 2/3

- 2nd and 13…out of the shotgun. Quick pass to Tavon who runs for 7 yards. Good play by Cigs to get to 3rd and manageable. Easy pass/play for Foles. Executed appropriately. 3/4

- 3rd and 6…out of the shotgun. Browns blitz and bring 7. One comes untouched. (WTF HAPPENED TO ROBINSON ON THIS PLAY. OMG. ANYWAY…). I know he saw the free blitzer who came between GRob and Reynolds. I don’t know if he was trying to throw it away or complete it to Austin. If he was actually trying to throw it away, I’d like to think he would have chucked it further out of bounds. It actually fell in play but way out of Austin’s reach. Regardless of whatever his intent, there was a small chance for a completion…which would have got Tavon nailed. And 0% chance we pick up the first. He is now 3/5 on the day.

- 1st and 10. Designed play-action rollout. You can tell he goes through 3 progressions on his rollout, while being chased by a defender, before settling on the underneath pass to Cook, who actually caught the ball…but couldn’t get two feet in bounds, which he should have been able to do. The only knock one could have on this play was the time it took him to go through his progressions, and maybe got it to Cook a tad sooner for the whopping potential 3 yard gainer. But I don’t know if he was slow in his progressions, or reading the defense and giving his WRs time. The incompletion, IMO, is on Cook. 3/6.

- 2nd and 15 (after GRob false start). Looks like he wants Britt (hard to see the numbers) who’s running a deeper route. He came back left which looked like a second read where I think Harkey and Austin were out in a pattern. I Just watching the game on TV (not coaches film or anything) I can’t tell if his reads were bad or not. After making those two reads with decent pass protection, he settled on Gurley underneath, who came out of the backfield. One could argue that Foles could have hit him dead in the numbers and made a better pass, so I can concede that. But he still hit Gurley right in the hands. The defender was close and hit Gurley as soon as he touched it. Good play by the defense on a play where Foles just tried dumping it off for something. Woulda been a gain of 2 if anything. 3/7

- 3rd and 15…out of the shotgun. Browns rush 3…and leave 8 deep. Pass protection is good enough, but Foles buys more time by peeling out of the pocket. Actually makes an excellent throw on what would have been a 50 yard pass and nice catch by Quick, if not for two problems. Quick stepped out of bounds before catching it. And Robinson was called for holding (on a 3-man rush!). They declined the penalty due to the incomplete pass as Quick was out of bounds. Foles, however, did his job and made a great throw. 3/8

- 1st and 10. Play-action, TE Screen to Harkey. Executed perfectly by Foles. A 4-yard gain due to a nice play by Kirksey. Otherwise, Harkey runs for a bit! 4/9

- 2nd and 11…shotgun. Play-action out of the shotgun was nice. LBers bit on it and Cook got open across the middle. Foles hit him in stride for 12 yards…moving into the red-zone…before Cook fumbles it at about the 15. Foles had a nice little double clutch, showing he was smart with the ball and continued to read the LBer. 5/10

- 1st and 10…out of the shotgun. This was with 0:47 seconds til the end of the half when we all thought we’d run a couple times and waltz into the locker room. Nice play design by Cigs…he runs Austin, Stedman and Cook out in patterns all to the same side, drawing defenders that way. Foles fakes a throw that way and throws the opposite way on a nice screen to Gurley for 20+ yards. (Barnes coulda been called for being downfield, but he did make a nice little block). 6/11

**QUICK NOTE ABOUT PISS POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT AFTER THIS PLAY!! WHOEVER WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT**

- 1ST and 10…out of the shotgun. Partly due to the clock/situation, the Browns DBs played way off the ball. Our WRs ran routes that were at least 10 yards down the field but the DBs had eyes on Foles the whole time with their cushion. He at least went through 2 progressions before dumping it off to Gurley who picked up about 7. Maybe it would have been better to throw it away? Hard to say. You never know what #30 can do once he gets the ball in his hands. Picked up 7 anyway. 7/12

- 2nd and 3…out of the shotgun. I want to say Foles might have wanted Cook in the middle of the field, but the Browns had safety help. Without seeing some other tape, I can’t tell if he had Cook or not…I would lean heavily toward not. Austin was his #2 option (possibly even #1) on a quick out. Foles overthrew Tavon significantly. So much so that I don’t know if it was on purpose/throwing it away. I don’t like what Foles did here mostly because the protection was decent…not good…but decent. He didn’t have to rush this. If he held it longer he would have seen Benny running free into the flat to his left for probably an easy 15-20 yards. And I can't tell if Britt (or Quick) would have beat their man deep left. Foles rushed this when he did not have to. Bad play. 7/13

- 3rd and 3 out of the shotgun. 0:12 seconds left in the half. Browns rushed 3…and kept 8 back. We weren’t going to get much here anyway. Bailey wasn’t open. Cook, not so much. Tavon was the primary target and got held, but didn’t get the call for what would have been a 1st down and made an easier kick for Zeurlein. The pass to Tavon was incomplete, in large part due to the non-call. I don’t think there’s anything Foles could have done better here. 7/14

- 1st and 10…out of the shotgun. First possession after halftime. Fake the hand-off to Gurley (Teams are scared of him). The backers bit on it. Foles throws left to Austin on a WR screen with GRob , Barnes, Britt helping Tavon get 10 yards. 8/15

- 2nd and 6…out of the shotgun. After the big Gurley run two plays prior. Foles goes through his reads. Nothing to the wideouts left. Cook not a good option over the middle. Dumps it to Cunningham. As I watched the WRs weak routes on this play, it was evident it was designed for Cunningham out of the backfield. Foles did his part looking DBs off left. This was an easy one for Nick. Good call by Cigs. Bad play by the Browns LBer to let Cunningham slip out. Gain of about 10. 9/16

- 2nd and Goal from the 8…out of the shotgun. Trips WRs left (Britt, Austin, Stedman), Cook wide right. Trips WRs has worked well for us through 6 weeks. On this play, this first time we’ve used it this game, they covered it well. Nothing was open left. Gurley covered coming out of the backfield. Don’t know about Cook. But it doesn’t matter because Jamon Brown got whooped and Foles got sacked before he could do anything. I think I just chalk this one up to the Browns calling it good on their side and executing well. 9/17

- 3rd and Goal from the…umm…17. Out of the shotgun. He takes a shot at Cook. I think given the circumstances and options, it was the best Cigs could dial up. Cook actually had a chance. It would have taken a better/perfect throw by Foles. Foles missed. Brady and Rodgers probably make the throw…I would think….maybe. It’s hardly a gimme, but I’ll dock Foles a few points seeing as how he missed it. At least he erred on the side of throwing it where it was Cook or nobody. 9/18

**AND GZ MISSES THE CHIP SHOT**

**THE GAME IS STILL 10-6 WITH 4:00 LEFT IN THE 3RD (UGH)**

- 1st and 10 from our own 12. Play action to Gurley…and you guessed it…LBers bit. Good pass protection. Foles 15 yard pass to Austin on an out pattern who was wide open after running a great route. Austin gets a few more after the catch. 10/19

- 2nd and 10…out of the shotgun. Good pass protection. Foles deep right to Britt who draws the PI. Underthrown ball. Maybe Foles gets credit for trying to throw it to Britt’s backside, but I don’t know because, well, it wasn’t thrown to Britt’s back side. DB had good position and if he plays the ball, he may get a pick. I don’t really know what Nick saw or was trying to do there. But it was DPI, so I’ll take it. But negative points for Foles. Some might see this differently.

- 1st and 10 from the shotgun. Excellent pass protection. Deep right to Kenny Britt. Good throw. Not great, but good. If he led Britt more, it’s probably an easy TD. Great positioning by Britt who has to slow up a bit and make a good catch. 11/20

**GURLEY’S 1ST TD**

- 3rd and 3 from the shotgun. 14:00 left in the game 17-6 ballgame. A good time to keep the ball and sustain a drive. Key 3rd down. Browns show blitz, bring blitz…a DB and LB from Foles’ left side. Cigs had dialed up a RB screen. Browns read it well. Jamon Brown was late on his block. Foles completes it to Gurley for a loss. Nothing Foles did wrong. Even reading a blitz beforehand, it looked like a good call. The Browns read it well and we didn’t execute it well. 12/21

**AFTER THE FAIRLEY FUMBLE RECOVERY (AND ENSUING TAVON AUSTIN SWEEP)**

- 2nd and 7 from the Browns 32. Out of the shotgun. Cunningham in the backfield. They don’t even bother with the fake to him, and simply throw a WR screen to Austin. Easy pass to Austin 3 yards behind the LOS. Britt and Robinson make a couple blocks, the rest is Austin for an easy 6. 13/22

- 1st and 10 from the Browns 23. I think it was Quick far left. And I think Foles saw something and wanted Quick because at the snap he looked right to Quick and pumped and clearly there was some miscommunication. Until Quick convinces me otherwise, given his track record, I’m going to say this was on him. Either way…this play was dead after that. A Browns player came in untouched and sacked Foles. 13/23

- 2nd and 14 out of the shotgun. Foles looks right where he has options of Cook and Austin. Cook looked open at first glance, but there a Browns player not far who had the play in front of him. I think it was a good no-throw. Austin was still running his route through the D. There was something of a designed screen to Gurley in here, but it was sloppy. Foles completes the easy screen pass to #30 who makes something out of it for about 6. 14/24

- 3rd and 8. After Austin motions, we have trips right. At the snap, Foles reads the safety, and doesn’t like Britt to his left. That leaves him with Austin, Bailey or Cook out of the trips. Browns bring 6…one comes untouched and ends up nailing Foles good. None of the 3 were open as the Browns played it well again (hmmmm…teams figuring some of Cigs stuff out?). Foles throws Austin’s way, but it’s every bit of a throw-away as he knew there was pressure coming. The Zebras gifted us a holding and automatic first down. Didn’t see Foles do anything wrong.

- 3rd and 5. 3:44 left to play. Out of the shotgun. They play soft coverage and Bailey is wide open. Easy pitch and catch from Foles for 7. They do Bailey for a bogus facemask call.

I'd say Foles' day was above average. One drop by Britt. Cook not getting his feet in bounds on an easy one. Another play sabotaged by GRbo holding and Quick not staying in bounds. Possibly another that Quick had some miscommunication. a couple plays on the OLine (which Cignetti helped a lot with some easy/quick passes). Some bad penalties putting us in 3rd and long. Sure, Foles wasn't perfect...I highlighted some things above. But he's been getting some heat...and after the Packer game...much was deserved. But he played better than hi stat line showed this game. And he played the game they planned on playing (Lots of defense and Gurley).

I'll add these tidbits after re-watching the game
- Lots of mistakes. Lots of mistakes. Bad penalties....drive-killing stuff. Not catching balls we need to. Easy stuff. A better team beats us. The Browns just played poorly.
-Stedman Bailey wasn't getting open much. And I like the kid. But it wasn't his best day.
- We will need to push the ball deeper a little more. Teams will stack the box and take away Gurley on runs and screens, and Austin on screens. Our OLine will need to improve and we need WRs/TEs who can do damage in the middle/deep parts of the field. Cook and Quick need to start showing up.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Hopefully all you guys will get your wish and they will cut Foles at the half Sunday...

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I realize there's some subjectivity there...but I digress. As for the Cleveland game...I think he was above-average actually. Just for fun...and if anyone enjoys some light reading...I re-watched the game went through every single one of our pass plays. Somehow I jacked it up, cuz I have him 14/24 where as his stat line is 15/23. I'm tired and don't care to go through it all again to find what I messed up. but here is my breakdown:

- 1st and 10…first play. Quick pass. First read. Good read. Woulda been an easy 5 yards. Hit Britt in the hands, but he didn’t hold on as he was hit by Desir. Should have been as easy 5 yard pickup on 1st down. To be objective, I suppose Foles could have led him more to the sideline. But he hit him square in the hands. 0/1

- 3rd and 15…Browns rush 3 and keep 8 guys back. There was no way we’re picking up the first…especially once Jamon Brown gets whooped by one of the 3 rushers (really???). He still delivered a pass to Cunningham to get what little we could. 1/2

- 3rd and 8…Browns blitz one LBer. Foles may have bailed out a little early… possibly…but pressure was coming. If he stays in the pocket he probably gets sacked or throws it away. He got a positive 3 yards out of it on a little out to Cook. Couldn’t tell if anyone else was open. In what little I could see and piece together, looked like a good decision. 2/3

- 2nd and 13…out of the shotgun. Quick pass to Tavon who runs for 7 yards. Good play by Cigs to get to 3rd and manageable. Easy pass/play for Foles. Executed appropriately. 3/4

- 3rd and 6…out of the shotgun. Browns blitz and bring 7. One comes untouched. (WTF HAPPENED TO ROBINSON ON THIS PLAY. OMG. ANYWAY…). I know he saw the free blitzer who came between GRob and Reynolds. I don’t know if he was trying to throw it away or complete it to Austin. If he was actually trying to throw it away, I’d like to think he would have chucked it further out of bounds. It actually fell in play but way out of Austin’s reach. Regardless of whatever his intent, there was a small chance for a completion…which would have got Tavon nailed. And 0% chance we pick up the first. He is now 3/5 on the day.

- 1st and 10. Designed play-action rollout. You can tell he goes through 3 progressions on his rollout, while being chased by a defender, before settling on the underneath pass to Cook, who actually caught the ball…but couldn’t get two feet in bounds, which he should have been able to do. The only knock one could have on this play was the time it took him to go through his progressions, and maybe got it to Cook a tad sooner for the whopping potential 3 yard gainer. But I don’t know if he was slow in his progressions, or reading the defense and giving his WRs time. The incompletion, IMO, is on Cook. 3/6.

- 2nd and 15 (after GRob false start). Looks like he wants Britt (hard to see the numbers) who’s running a deeper route. He came back left which looked like a second read where I think Harkey and Austin were out in a pattern. I Just watching the game on TV (not coaches film or anything) I can’t tell if his reads were bad or not. After making those two reads with decent pass protection, he settled on Gurley underneath, who came out of the backfield. One could argue that Foles could have hit him dead in the numbers and made a better pass, so I can concede that. But he still hit Gurley right in the hands. The defender was close and hit Gurley as soon as he touched it. Good play by the defense on a play where Foles just tried dumping it off for something. Woulda been a gain of 2 if anything. 3/7

- 3rd and 15…out of the shotgun. Browns rush 3…and leave 8 deep. Pass protection is good enough, but Foles buys more time by peeling out of the pocket. Actually makes an excellent throw on what would have been a 50 yard pass and nice catch by Quick, if not for two problems. Quick stepped out of bounds before catching it. And Robinson was called for holding (on a 3-man rush!). They declined the penalty due to the incomplete pass as Quick was out of bounds. Foles, however, did his job and made a great throw. 3/8

- 1st and 10. Play-action, TE Screen to Harkey. Executed perfectly by Foles. A 4-yard gain due to a nice play by Kirksey. Otherwise, Harkey runs for a bit! 4/9

- 2nd and 11…shotgun. Play-action out of the shotgun was nice. LBers bit on it and Cook got open across the middle. Foles hit him in stride for 12 yards…moving into the red-zone…before Cook fumbles it at about the 15. Foles had a nice little double clutch, showing he was smart with the ball and continued to read the LBer. 5/10

- 1st and 10…out of the shotgun. This was with 0:47 seconds til the end of the half when we all thought we’d run a couple times and waltz into the locker room. Nice play design by Cigs…he runs Austin, Stedman and Cook out in patterns all to the same side, drawing defenders that way. Foles fakes a throw that way and throws the opposite way on a nice screen to Gurley for 20+ yards. (Barnes coulda been called for being downfield, but he did make a nice little block). 6/11

**QUICK NOTE ABOUT pee pee POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT AFTER THIS PLAY!! WHOEVER WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT**

- 1ST and 10…out of the shotgun. Partly due to the clock/situation, the Browns DBs played way off the ball. Our WRs ran routes that were at least 10 yards down the field but the DBs had eyes on Foles the whole time with their cushion. He at least went through 2 progressions before dumping it off to Gurley who picked up about 7. Maybe it would have been better to throw it away? Hard to say. You never know what #30 can do once he gets the ball in his hands. Picked up 7 anyway. 7/12

- 2nd and 3…out of the shotgun. I want to say Foles might have wanted Cook in the middle of the field, but the Browns had safety help. Without seeing some other tape, I can’t tell if he had Cook or not…I would lean heavily toward not. Austin was his #2 option (possibly even #1) on a quick out. Foles overthrew Tavon significantly. So much so that I don’t know if it was on purpose/throwing it away. I don’t like what Foles did here mostly because the protection was decent…not good…but decent. He didn’t have to rush this. If he held it longer he would have seen Benny running free into the flat to his left for probably an easy 15-20 yards. And I can't tell if Britt (or Quick) would have beat their man deep left. Foles rushed this when he did not have to. Bad play. 7/13

- 3rd and 3 out of the shotgun. 0:12 seconds left in the half. Browns rushed 3…and kept 8 back. We weren’t going to get much here anyway. Bailey wasn’t open. Cook, not so much. Tavon was the primary target and got held, but didn’t get the call for what would have been a 1st down and made an easier kick for Zeurlein. The pass to Tavon was incomplete, in large part due to the non-call. I don’t think there’s anything Foles could have done better here. 7/14

- 1st and 10…out of the shotgun. First possession after halftime. Fake the hand-off to Gurley (Teams are scared of him). The backers bit on it. Foles throws left to Austin on a WR screen with GRob , Barnes, Britt helping Tavon get 10 yards. 8/15

- 2nd and 6…out of the shotgun. After the big Gurley run two plays prior. Foles goes through his reads. Nothing to the wideouts left. Cook not a good option over the middle. Dumps it to Cunningham. As I watched the WRs weak routes on this play, it was evident it was designed for Cunningham out of the backfield. Foles did his part looking DBs off left. This was an easy one for Nick. Good call by Cigs. Bad play by the Browns LBer to let Cunningham slip out. Gain of about 10. 9/16

- 2nd and Goal from the 8…out of the shotgun. Trips WRs left (Britt, Austin, Stedman), Cook wide right. Trips WRs has worked well for us through 6 weeks. On this play, this first time we’ve used it this game, they covered it well. Nothing was open left. Gurley covered coming out of the backfield. Don’t know about Cook. But it doesn’t matter because Jamon Brown got whooped and Foles got sacked before he could do anything. I think I just chalk this one up to the Browns calling it good on their side and executing well. 9/17

- 3rd and Goal from the…umm…17. Out of the shotgun. He takes a shot at Cook. I think given the circumstances and options, it was the best Cigs could dial up. Cook actually had a chance. It would have taken a better/perfect throw by Foles. Foles missed. Brady and Rodgers probably make the throw…I would think….maybe. It’s hardly a gimme, but I’ll dock Foles a few points seeing as how he missed it. At least he erred on the side of throwing it where it was Cook or nobody. 9/18

- 1st and 10 from our own 12. Play action to Gurley…and you guessed it…LBers bit. Good pass protection. Foles 15 yard pass to Austin on an out pattern who was wide open after running a great route. Austin gets a few more after the catch. 10/19

- 2nd and 10…out of the shotgun. Good pass protection. Foles deep right to Britt who draws the PI. Underthrown ball. Maybe Foles gets credit for trying to throw it to Britt’s backside, but I don’t know because, well, it wasn’t thrown to Britt’s back side. DB had good position and if he plays the ball, he may get a pick. I don’t really know what Nick saw or was trying to do there. But it was DPI, so I’ll take it. But negative points for Foles. Some might see this differently.

- 1st and 10 from the shotgun. Excellent pass protection. Deep right to Kenny Britt. Good throw. Not great, but good. If he led Britt more, it’s probably an easy TD. Great positioning by Britt who has to slow up a bit and make a good catch. 11/20

**GURLEY’S 1ST TD**

- 3rd and 3 from the shotgun. 14:00 left in the game 17-6 ballgame. A good time to keep the ball and sustain a drive. Key 3rd down. Browns show blitz, bring blitz…a DB and LB from Foles’ left side. Cigs had dialed up a RB screen. Browns read it well. Jamon Brown was late on his block. Foles completes it to Gurley for a loss. Nothing Foles did wrong. Even reading a blitz beforehand, it looked like a good call. The Browns read it well and we didn’t execute it well. 12/21

- 2nd and 7 from the Browns 32. Out of the shotgun. Cunningham in the backfield. They don’t even bother with the fake to him, and simply throw a WR screen to Austin. Easy pass to Austin 3 yards behind the LOS. Britt and Robinson make a couple blocks, the rest is Austin for an easy 6. 13/22

- 1st and 10 from the Browns 23. I think it was Quick far left. And I think Foles saw something and wanted Quick because at the snap he looked right to Quick and pumped and clearly there was some miscommunication. Until Quick convinces me otherwise, given his track record, I’m going to say this was on him. Either way…this play was dead after that. A Browns player came in untouched and sacked Foles. 13/23

- 2nd and 14 out of the shotgun. Foles looks right where he has options of Cook and Austin. Cook looked open at first glance, but there a Browns player not far who had the play in front of him. I think it was a good no-throw. Austin was still running his route through the D. There was something of a designed screen to Gurley in here, but it was sloppy. Foles completes the easy screen pass to #30 who makes something out of it for about 6. 14/24

- 3rd and 8. After Austin motions, we have trips right. At the snap, Foles reads the safety, and doesn’t like Britt to his left. That leaves him with Austin, Bailey or Cook out of the trips. Browns bring 6…one comes untouched and ends up nailing Foles good. None of the 3 were open as the Browns played it well again (hmmmm…teams figuring some of Cigs stuff out?). Foles throws Austin’s way, but it’s every bit of a throw-away as he knew there was pressure coming. The Zebras gifted us a holding and automatic first down. Didn’t see Foles do anything wrong.

- 3rd and 5. 3:44 left to play. Out of the shotgun. They play soft coverage and Bailey is wide open. Easy pitch and catch from Foles for 7. They do Bailey for a bogus facemask call.

I'd say Foles' day was above average. One drop by Britt. Cook not getting his feet in bounds on an easy one. Another play sabotaged by GRbo holding and Quick not staying in bounds. Possibly another that Quick had some miscommunication. a couple plays on the OLine (which Cignetti helped a lot with some easy/quick passes). Some bad penalties putting us in 3rd and long. Sure, Foles wasn't perfect...I highlighted some things above. But he's been getting some heat...and after the Packer game...much was deserved. But he played better than hi stat line showed this game. And he played the game they planned on playing (Lots of defense and Gurley).

- Lots of mistakes. Lots of mistakes. Bad penalties....drive-killing stuff. Not catching balls we need to. Easy stuff. A better team beats us. The Browns just played poorly.
-Stedman Bailey wasn't getting open much. And I like the kid. But it wasn't his best day.
- We will need to push the ball deeper a little more. Teams will stack the box and take away Gurley on runs and screens, and Austin on screens. Our OLine will need to improve and we need WRs/TEs who can do damage in the middle/deep parts of the field. Cook and Quick need to start showing up.

Amazingly detailed analysis. Great read. Balanced. Thank you for the effort

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

**QUICK NOTE ABOUT pee pee POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT AFTER THIS PLAY!! WHOEVER WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT**

**GURLEY’S 1ST TD**

Nice write up. I think it is glaringly obvious that the Rams need big time help at WR. Quick has been an unpolished receiver since he exited the womb. I don't think he ever develops the knowledge or instincts to become T.O. part deux. Cook is Cook and needs replaced. Britt? I don't know what happened to him. Maybe it is because he is the only deeper threat that teams fear and he gets the extra attention? Or is he just slow? I love Bailey's hands but he is not consistently getting open. He makes a splash play or two a game.

The Rams need WRs and TEs that know the game of football. Polished guys that can read defenses and such. I wish they had acquired Brandon Marshall. He was the one guy that was available last season that I felt could really help our Passing game. The tough call is that WRs in the draft don't often come out strong in year 1.....Free agency or trade is the best option........that may not be there.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Nice write up @Rainram

I don't think the Rams are too far off from clicking on offense. My hope is that they are able to go 5-3 through the first 8 and 6-2, 7-1, or 8-0 the second half.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Look, I hate the 49ers as much as anyone else, and those of us who were LA Rams fans truly understand the hate, but Steve Young was probably the best dual threat QB ever...at least in my era(from 1980 to present). Montana gets all the Legendary status(well deserved) but IMO Young was just as good and he was also a much better runner. Those Bucs teams were historically bad. Anyone banging on Steve Young is either hating or doesn't know anything about football.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Actually makes an excellent throw on what would have been a 50 yard pass and nice catch by Quick, if not for two problems. Quick stepped out of bounds before catching it...........- 1st and 10. Play-action, TE Screen to Harkey. Executed perfectly by Foles.........I think it was Quick far left. And I think Foles saw something and wanted Quick because at the snap he looked right to Quick and pumped and clearly there was some miscommunication. Until Quick convinces me otherwise, given his track record, I’m going to say this was on him.
First off...man, this is great work.....See, you're the kinda guy I want to have the coaches film/All-22 to really breakdown a game....Excellent Rainram, take a bow......
You really went a long way to prove that Foles had a good game...The first thing your notes show me is amount of check-downs & screens we attempted...Well, Foles did....and not all by design. The second is, I noticed that Sted played the most snaps of all the wrs....And Foles STILL can't find him....Something is wrong...Either it's Sted Bailey or Nick Foles....3rd is, now I noticed Cook didn't drop one pass, except for that fumble....but you still found a way to criticize his play...makes me go, hmmmm.
To some of your points.....That play to Quick, when he stepped out of bounds. I was under the impression that if a receiver was forced out, he could come back in and catch a pass AFTER re-establishing position in bounds....And I saw a DB pushing Quick towards the sideline...Perhaps I'm wrong....That play to Harkey....brought down by a shoestring tackle...Now I love Harkey, hell I played a lil ball with his late cousin (they look just alike too), but this is why I don't want him involved with the offense....he's a lead blocker, or short yardage threat....I'd rather see J. Cunningham with that pass....I'd really rather see Cook....Last, that sack that Foles took, when he looked at Quick, but Quick was going downfield....LOL, I feel ya man....I didn't see Quick much in the game after this occurred either...Maybe it was his fault....But, being in a huddle, with raw players, it is the vet, the QB, somebody that KNOWS the system, it's up to them to say, "Hey Quickie, we're coming to you with the hot if the corner is off, be ready" and I believe that wasn't done....

It all points to Foles...if you wanna say that was an average performance...OK.....I know Cleveland has a terrible defense vs the pass...They were missing 2 of their best players and we couldn't take advantage....Average huh?....

Again, Love that breakdown Rainram....you made me mad I erased the game...

Rainram

Starter
First off...man, this is great work.....See, you're the kinda guy I want to have the coaches film/All-22 to really breakdown a game....Excellent Rainram, take a bow......
You really went a long way to prove that Foles had a good game...The first thing your notes show me is amount of check-downs & screens we attempted...Well, Foles did....and not all by design. The second is, I noticed that Sted played the most snaps of all the wrs....And Foles STILL can't find him....Something is wrong...Either it's Sted Bailey or Nick Foles....3rd is, now I noticed Cook didn't drop one pass, except for that fumble....but you still found a way to criticize his play...makes me go, hmmmm.
To some of your points.....That play to Quick, when he stepped out of bounds. I was under the impression that if a receiver was forced out, he could come back in and catch a pass AFTER re-establishing position in bounds....And I saw a DB pushing Quick towards the sideline...Perhaps I'm wrong....That play to Harkey....brought down by a shoestring tackle...Now I love Harkey, hell I played a lil ball with his late cousin (they look just alike too), but this is why I don't want him involved with the offense....he's a lead blocker, or short yardage threat....I'd rather see J. Cunningham with that pass....I'd really rather see Cook....Last, that sack that Foles took, when he looked at Quick, but Quick was going downfield....LOL, I feel ya man....I didn't see Quick much in the game after this occurred either...Maybe it was his fault....But, being in a huddle, with raw players, it is the vet, the QB, somebody that KNOWS the system, it's up to them to say, "Hey Quickie, we're coming to you with the hot if the corner is off, be ready" and I believe that wasn't done....

It all points to Foles...if you wanna say that was an average performance...OK.....I know Cleveland has a terrible defense vs the pass...They were missing 2 of their best players and we couldn't take advantage....Average huh?....

Again, Love that breakdown Rainram....you made me mad I erased the game...

Quick replies:
- Yea...I'd love to be able to go watch every one of Stedman Bailey's snaps starting from Week 1. Curious what kind of separation he's getting. I wonder if Foles can throw him open more. I just don't know without seeing it. I'm slightly discouraged, but still hopeful.
- Cook....SIGH! He should eat teams up. He was in on like 92% of our offensive snaps! Yet he had 4 targets and two catches? With Gurley really taking over, Cook is going to have even more chances with teams daring us to beat them with Foles' arm. This team needs Cook to play better! Just as a receiver if nothing else. It's so unbelievably frustrating. Curious how things work out when Kendricks gets back. It's clear our offense is still trying to figure some things out.
- Yea, overall I think Foles played above average. The offense as a whole, below average, sans Todd Gurley...especially since, like you pointed out, it was against a bad Cleveland Defense. Considering the competition and the extra week to prepare, I was extremely disappointed in our OLine (mostly Brown and GRob) and we gotta figure something out with our pass-catchers.
- I'm very interested to see the personnel moves this season and the coming off-season.