PFF- Players we'd like to see more of in 2019 Rams TE Gerald Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/gerald-everett-on-track-to-increase-contributions-in-2019

Gerald Everett on track to increase contributions in 2019

yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 02:30 PM

When you think about the Rams’ 2018 season, there are probably a few moments that immediately come to mind.

And it’s likely safe to assume that tight end Gerald Everett’s 40-yard touchdown down the right sideline of the Coliseum to beat the Chiefs on Monday Night Football is among them.

In Everett’s second year as a pro, he caught 33 passes for 320 yards with three touchdowns — none bigger than that long catch that helped seal the highest-scoring game in Monday Night Football history. He also took a pair of carries for 16 yards, displaying head coach Sean McVay’s play creativity with tight end jet sweeps.

Then in the postseason, Everett had a key reception in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship game. On 3rd-and-3 from the L.A. 16, quarterback Jared Goff was able to find Everett for an off-schedule play. Everett caught the pass on the right side then rumbled up the field for a 39-yard gain to put L.A. in New Orleans territory.

But generally, the Rams’ tight end production could certainly stand to improve in 2019. While Los Angeles’ offensive production hasn’t left much to be desired in the first two years under McVay, tight ends have accounted for only 107 receptions for 1,227 yards with eight touchdowns. Breaking that down further, that’s an average of 53.5 receptions for 613.5 yards with four touchdowns per season from all tight ends.

Speaking at the league meetings in Phoenix this week, McVay told assembled reporters it’s fair to expect more from the tight ends in 2019 — especially Everett.“Really, we talked about it a little bit last year — Gerald was doing an outstanding job in the offseason program and in training camp. And then he had a shoulder injury that set him back and he missed some time,” McVay said “But he was doing a lot of those things that I think we saw as the season progressed. But his opportunities when he’s making plays like that — he provides a skillset that’s hard because he can do some different things specific to lining up all over the formation.”

“But then I thought you saw him really compete well in the run game — whether it be at the point of attack or when he’s cutting somebody off on the backside,” McVay continued. :He just matured as a player. But his skill set, you see why we drafted him as high as we did because of some of the things he can do when you see the plays he’s making against Kansas City, or even his rookie year he did some stuff when you cut up some of his best plays, you say, ‘This guy’s got some special ability.’”

As the Rams get into their offseason program in a few weeks, it seems fair to expect L.A. to work toward making the tight end a more featured aspect of the offense in 2019.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well imo it’s a chicken and egg thing. Is McVay going away from using them or are they not getting open. I have a hard time believing McV doesn’t have a heavy dose of TE plays in his scheme seeing how much he used the TE in Washington.
I do think Everett has big time ability. Just find it puzzling how he disappears.

Yeah I'm not buying the "Everett isn't getting opportunities" angle. McVay plays the guys who give him the best chance on the field. If the TEs were up to snuff we wouldn't dominate the league in 11 personnel grouping. Good as our 11 personnel are, there are plenty of options where, IF we had strong TEs, the offense would benefit from going to the big targets.

I also don't like the "Everett outperformed Higbee" thing. That's an oversimplification where the article cherry picks passing game impact only.

Everett will hopefully live up to our expectations this season. But he needs to improve and push those snaps in his direction IMO. And also there is a good chance we see a TE added due to the fact Higs is likely to leave in FA.

Ram65

Legend
“But he was doing a lot of those things that I think we saw as the season progressed. But his opportunities when he’s making plays like that — he provides a skillset that’s hard because he can do some different things specific to lining up all over the formation.

McVay says all this but, did not use Everett much. When Kupp went down I thought for sure Everett would get more chances. Can't explain why but, would guess route running. The Rams need to work him hard on his route running. He needs to make the quick cuts and use body fakes to get some separation. Who knows what McVay will do with the offense this year. Kupp is expected back healthy this year. It's hard to not play the three WRs (Woods, Cooks and Kupp) because they are so good. It really is puzzling that Everett did not get to take advantage of Kupp's injury.

What was the reason for Everett not seeing more playing time? Everett or McVay?

Is it time for Everett to get more playing time over Higbee?

Is there another TE option coming?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Although we saw a LOT of him against the Chiefs, and that.... Ya know.. .. Kinda worked out. McVay used the TE a TON in DC, but he had Jordan Reed. It wouldn't at all surprise me to see them look at TE again in the draft at some point....

He used TEs in DC and we can say that Reed and VD were better than Everett and Higbee, but in DC he didn't have Gurley, Cooks, Woods and Kupp. Even in his prime and uninjured, Reed would be the 5th option on this team.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sure we could go in a couple ways this offseason but if we pick up a TE in the 1st three rounds of the draft, I expect them to try to move Higbee or Everett in response to that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm sure we could go in a couple ways this offseason but if we pick up a TE in the 1st three rounds of the draft, I expect them to try to move Higbee or Everett in response to that.
Would the Rams offense take a chance on moving signed TE's like a Higbee who played a major role in the OL success .....for a rookie TE instead?

Maybe it would be a consideration IF the new edition 2019 OL had not just lost it's best playing OL'er, secondly it still has the oldest starting LT in the NFL two years running who will be 38 yrs old in early December, in addition, they just released one of its most knowledgeable veteran starting centers in the NFL for cap relief. If that was not enough Kromer is hoping & wishing for serious improvement from their dinky starting RG that was totally dismantled in his last NFL game in February???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that always cracks me up is the line that we need to upgrade the TE because McVay for the Redskins used Reed so well and so much. Targets for 2018 Rams

Woods 130
Cooks 117
Gurley 86
Kupp 55 (basically 7 games)
Reynolds 53
Everett 50
Higbee 34

Redskins 2016
Garcon 114
Jackson 100
Crowder 99
Reed 89
Thompson 62
Davis 59

We used Gurley more 24 more and our top 2 had 33 more targets with Kupp/Reynolds about equal to Crowder. Our WR/RB group had 50 more targets than the Redskins while our TE had 64 less. That’s with the Redskins having 40 more pass attempts. Sure it would be nice to get the TE more involved but those targets will have to come from somewhere. Maybe they come from Gurley since we might see a lessened load for him. But don’t blame the TE for this, they ball out, when they’re targeted. It’s how McVay and Goff distribute the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We used Gurley more 24 more and our top 2 had 33 more targets with Kupp/Reynolds about equal to Crowder. Our WR/RB group had 50 more targets than the Redskins while our TE had 64 less. That’s with the Redskins having 40 more pass attempts. Sure it would be nice to get the TE more involved but those targets will have to come from somewhere. Maybe they come from Gurley since we might see a lessened load for him. But don’t blame the TE for this, they ball out, when they’re targeted. It’s how McVay and Goff distribute the ball.

McVay uses the best options as he sees them. It's one of the reasons he's so damn good. Here with this offense he not only has really good wideouts with his top 3, but he's also got a QB who can make every throw with accuracy (which is something he did not have in Washington).

But I think if you look at the WCO historically the TE position is extremely potent, and it was in Washington for McVay. You can think our TEs are capable of that level of production, but I will disagree with you there. They've got some growing to do still, and in Higs case he's probably the guy we saw last year, being a mostly run blocking type who can occasionally beast out.

Lastly, more spreading the ball around while functioning efficiently makes an offense more difficult to "Belichick." What we saw in the Super Bowl was a direct reflection of our TEs not being able to step up in the passing game. They are as a group mediocre at best.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Yeah I'm not buying the "Everett isn't getting opportunities" angle. McVay plays the guys who give him the best chance on the field. If the TEs were up to snuff we wouldn't dominate the league in 11 personnel grouping. Good as our 11 personnel are, there are plenty of options where, IF we had strong TEs, the offense would benefit from going to the big targets.

I also don't like the "Everett outperformed Higbee" thing. That's an oversimplification where the article cherry picks passing game impact only.

Everett will hopefully live up to our expectations this season. But he needs to improve and push those snaps in his direction IMO. And also there is a good chance we see a TE added due to the fact Higs is likely to leave in FA.

I'm sorry but Gerald Everett has 2 of the maybe 6 or 7 most consequential plays of the season for us.... of course the bomb against the Chiefs..... game winning TD in the game of the year..

but his play late vs. the Saint adjusting his route and making a huge play for Goff down the field.... We may not have won that game without that play...

people honestly shouldn't let McVay's early success confuse us … Sean McVay has called plays less than 5 seasons of his life....people point to his success with Reed in Washington.... I mean did McVay call plays for 1 season in Washington maybe??? come on.... that's Gruden's usage of the Tight End..and the 2 TE set with Davis...which BTW represented the 2 best..sometimes only decent receivers on the field for the Skins at any given time...

the fact that we are in the same formation vastly more than any other team uses a particular formation....I'm sorry but in the big picture that isn't a good thing....the Patriot players said that they were amazed at the Rams lack of offensive adjustments...

McVay has taken us to the doorstep, which is amazing ….because of his youth and his lack of play calling and coaching experience..

but we need to diversify our offense..and using Gerald Everett more would go a long way to do that.

he's earned with his play on the field...he's graded out as being greatly improved from his rookie season..

We have 2 solid TEs.... Everett has surpassed Higbee overall...but Higbee is a weapon, that we need to utilize more as well...

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This is a make or break year for both of our young tight ends .

WestCoastRam

Legend
Would the Rams offense take a chance on moving signed TE's like a Higbee who played a major role in the OL success .....for a rookie TE instead?

Maybe it would be a consideration IF the new edition 2019 OL had not just lost it's best playing OL'er, secondly it still has the oldest starting LT in the NFL two years running who will be 38 yrs old in early December, in addition, they just released one of its most knowledgeable veteran starting centers in the NFL for cap relief. If that was not enough Kromer is hoping & wishing for serious improvement from their dinky starting RG that was totally dismantled in his last NFL game in February???

Bonifay, totally hear you man. And I think if what you posited existed in a vacuum, then yes but when you look at the salaries involved (not crazy but not nothing), possibility at greater impact at the position, and the fact that it would be a luxury to carry a high drafted rookie and those two with not enough targets to go around... I think we have to consider the possibility.

The draft and roster around that time are moving targets. The Rams, other teams, everyone, all have multiple plans with multiple contingencies. My guess is that if a highly ranked TE fell to them they would most likely consider offloading Everett or Higbee.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have 2 solid TEs.... Everett has surpassed Higbee overall...but Higbee is a weapon, that we need to utilize more as well...

I don't think Everett has really surpassed Higbee. He's a better receiver but it's relatively close between them statistically in what they provided and the difference in run blocking is significantly slanted towards Higs being the better TE still.

Which is fine, him being a year ahead of Everett. But again, if you're happy with what Everett is I guess we can agree to disagree. I expect a lot more cheers.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I don't think Everett has really surpassed Higbee. He's a better receiver but it's relatively close between them statistically in what they provided and the difference in run blocking is significantly slanted towards Higs being the better TE still.

Which is fine, him being a year ahead of Everett. But again, if you're happy with what Everett is I guess we can agree to disagree. I expect a lot more cheers.

You're right....it's close.... and Higs is still a better blocker....

I just want them both utilized more....

we are great with 3 WRs....Cooper Kupp is already one of the best out of the slot...…. but there's a reason why teams don't use the same formation at such a high percentage of the time...because you have to have some diversity in your sets.....

and I'm completely confident that McVay will make the appropriate adjustments in that area...and also confident that we have the weapons at the TE position to make some big things happen in the future...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is a make or break year for both of our young tight ends.
For the 6-6 260 lb TE Tyler Higbee it certainly is. He is entering his 4th & final season under his rookie contract.

I just happen to really like Tyler's in line blocking last season. I started to look for his blocking often when Gurley was running the ball. Normally you watch TGII. Tyler's blocking has improved greatly since he arrived which is normal for college TE's. Another thing this young man is tough & durable. He has not missed a Ram game since he arrived either. Tyler has consistently started since the first 2017 regular season gm.

The negative we all can see here is compared to most NFL offenses our TE production is close to the bottom the last two seasons. Is this Tyler's fault? One would think that being over 6-6 & with length would be a serious Goff target in the red zone........ has not happened he had only 3 TD's & that includes the playoffs. However his 12.2 yd per catch indicates when utilized he can get you a first down.

I expect an outstanding season from Tyler in 2019. He has the talent & skills to be a much more potent weapon in this offense as does Everett. The TE with the best soft hands is our 3rd string, Johnny Mundt.

In conclusion, I see no real need to replace any of the Rams three TE 's this season. All three are ascending players without much mileage on any of them. I do not expect any of the top 3 TE's to be on the board when it's our time to pick on day one. The defensive talent pool is fat & thick in high-value targets for this Ram team to invest in. Rams are in excellent shape with this trio of young Ram TE's.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's time to build the defense. Our offense might be all set. Defense wins championships too!

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I think we also have to consider Goff as being part of the reason we haven't utilized our TEs more. Goff has bee solid the last 2 seasons, no question.... but he's still a very young QB..so his ability to scan the field...make his read progressions..... he could still need some work in those areas....and that's going to impact the targets our TEs get..

but again...something that I'm sure will continue to improve.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You're right....it's close.... and Higs is still a better blocker....

I just want them both utilized more....

we are great with 3 WRs....Cooper Kupp is already one of the best out of the slot...…. but there's a reason why teams don't use the same formation at such a high percentage of the time...because you have to have some diversity in your sets.....

and I'm completely confident that McVay will make the appropriate adjustments in that area...and also confident that we have the weapons at the TE position to make some big things happen in the future...

I don't necessarily put a lot of stock in PFF, but Everett graded out as a blocker more than a little bit better than Higbee.

At this point, Everett is a better receiver and is at least as good a blocker and he's only going to get better.

I like them both and I think they'll be solid for years to come. And if we add one of the Iowa TEs, then it just means we'll have one of the best TE groups as a whole in the NFL.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What a great thread topic!

Here’s my 2 cents...

We enjoy an embarrassment of O weapons, especially if Gurley is healthy. VERY nice problem to have, huh?

My point being that it’s hard to criticize a perennial elite scoring O since McVay came on board. I mean, 32.9 ppg? C’mon...

About the TE usage. According to RainRam, Higbee and Everett combined for a 68% catch rate. So, there’s no problem there, IMO. The “problem” is that Goff only has one football.

If Everett takes another step forward this year as he did last year, then he will be a stud. And btw, you can count me among those that think Higbee has become a strong contributor to this O.

If McVay’s usage of his TE’s gives the opposing D a “tell” then he’s gotta correct that. Maybe even have some fun with false tells? Lol.

Finally, it’s all about our OL and Gurley’s health as to our ‘20 scoring prospects, not our TE’s. If Boom and Allen do a fine job replacing Saffold and Sully then we’ll be just fine. I’m gonna keep an eye on Blythe at RG, too. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a G/C or G/T drafted rather highly, just in case.

Gawd, I hope Gurley is okay. If he is then we’re gonna have a helluva O.

Rams have to finish that D. THAT’S where most of my attention is these days. They’re off to a good start but still need 2-3 more players there, IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The negative we all can see here is compared to most NFL offenses our TE production is close to the bottom the last two seasons. Is this Tyler's fault? One would think that being over 6-6 & with length would be a serious Goff target in the red zone........ has not happened he had only 3 TD's & that includes the playoffs. However his 12.2 yd per catch indicates when utilized he can get you a first down.

My main prob with a lot of the talk you hear about our TEs is the "we need to use them more" stuff. Truth is that McVay knows how to use TEs, so I know they're getting about the best coaching in the league. They also have a guy scheming it up who knows how to isolate anyone he wants by anticipating defensive rules and reactions based on their scheme. So my take is that if these guys were stepping up in practice and showing the consistency McVay wants to see, then they would be getting that extra usage.

This is why I subscribe to the belief they need to improve. Both of them. Everett has a higher ceiling in the passing game simply because Higs' hands will always be suspect particularly if he has a defender anywhere near him. But Everett really needs to make this season his coming out party and yes that is possible.

All that aside, there's a good chance Higs will leave in FA after this season. TEs are hard to find, he's solid all around, and some sorry team will think they can make him the next Gronk. And I just don't see the Rams locking him up before he hits the market barring him stepping up big time this season. So given the one year redshirting requirement so many of these guys require, there's a really good chance they take a TE in this draft IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My main prob with a lot of the talk you hear about our TEs is the "we need to use them more" stuff. Truth is that McVay knows how to use TEs, so I know they're getting about the best coaching in the league. They also have a guy scheming it up who knows how to isolate anyone he wants by anticipating defensive rules and reactions based on their scheme. So my take is that if these guys were stepping up in practice and showing the consistency McVay wants to see, then they would be getting that extra usage.

This is why I subscribe to the belief they need to improve. Both of them. Everett has a higher ceiling in the passing game simply because Higs' hands will always be suspect particularly if he has a defender anywhere near him. But Everett really needs to make this season his coming out party and yes that is possible.

All that aside, there's a good chance Higs will leave in FA after this season. TEs are hard to find, he's solid all around, and some sorry team will think they can make him the next Gronk. And I just don't see the Rams locking him up before he hits the market barring him stepping up big time this season. So given the one year redshirting requirement so many of these guys require, there's a really good chance they take a TE in this draft IMO.

Our TEs are good. They're not used enough. McVay tried the dominant 11 personnel thing because we might have the best three WRs/RB in NFL history - that's a slight exaggeration, but point is, Cooks/Woods/Kupp/Gurley are guys he wanted on the field every play.

As far as him knowing how to use them - I disagree with that blanket statement. Obviously he used them more in Washington, but that doesn't have anything to do with our current situation. The worst mistake he made and most mind boggling decision was the over-usage of Todd Gurley - knowing that he ran Todd into the ground when in our first 8 games we went 8-0 and won half those games going away tells us that McVay can make mistakes.