PFF Grades Week 2. Some Surprises Plus Jeff Gordons Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
OFFENSE
Jamon Brown * 0.8
Greg Robinson * 0.6
Tim Barnes * 0.4
Cory Harkey 0.1
Tre Mason * -0.1
Rob Havenstein * -0.4
Tavon Austin * -0.5
Lance Kendricks * -0.5
Chris Givens -0.7
Jared Cook * -1
Kenny Britt * -1.3
Benny Cunningham -1.3
Stedman Bailey -1.6
Rodger Saffold * -5.2
Nick Foles * -6.3
DEFENSE
Name Overall
Aaron Donald * 7.9
Chris Long * 3.3
Michael Brockers * 3.2
Nick Fairley 2.9
Trumaine Johnson 2.5
Ethan Westbrooks 2.4
T.J. McDonald * 1
Alec Ogletree * 0.8
Janoris Jenkins * 0.4
Marcus Roberson * 0.2
Cameron Lynch 0
Mark Barron 0
Akeem Ayers * -0.2
Lamarcus Joyner -0.2
William Hayes -1
Rodney McLeod * -1.9
Robert Quinn * -2.4
James Laurinaitis * -3.1

JL is the 43RD rated MLB in the NFL. QB of our "D" Needs to shed OL Blocks and make tackles. The skins used our pass rush speed against us as they let our guys take themselves out of the play then they cut blocked our D Lineman. Just hope other teams don't see this as a blueprint to run over us. Can we get JL help in the Middle?

Here below is Jeff Gordon ST. Louis Paper Grades

Quarterback C-
Nick Foles had one shining moment Sunday. He sold the fake end-around hand-off to the Washington defense, then lofted the ball to WR Kenny Britt for a 40-yard TD. Otherwise he had a tough day. His teammates kept dropping passes and Washington’s steady pressure forced him out of the pocket and away from his comfort zone. He finished 17 for 32 for just 150 yards and the one score.

Running Backs D
A poor offensive tone was set early when Benny Cunningham dropped a simple swing pass from Foles, running before he caught it. He delivered another blatant drop in the fourth quarter with the Rams in desperation mode. This unit got nothing on the ground until the second half, when Tre Mason finally broke free for a couple of first downs. But Mason narrowly avoided disaster early in the fourth quarter, fumbling deep in his own zone. Fortunately teammate Stedman Bailey recovered the ball.

Receivers C
Kenny Britt made the only big play for the Rams, getting wide, wide open on a fake end-around play for the 40-yard TD. Tavon Austin ran the ball effectively, gaining 40 yards on four carries. But the group caught just four passes during the game, despite Foles’ best effort to extend some plays with his feet. There weren’t a whole lot of Rams finding openings in the Washington secondary.

Tight Ends D
The group looked good early, with Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks catching first-down conversion passes. Cook finished with a team-high five catches for 47 yards. But Kendricks (false start) and Cook (personal foul, facemask) were flagged for untimely penalties in the third quarter and this duo offered minimal help in the run game.

Offensive Line F
Rookie OT Rob Havenstein had predictable trouble containing sackmaster Ryan Kerrigan, who beat him with a variety of moves. The line allowed Washington to sustain pressure on Foles for much of the game, forcing Foles to flee the pocket repeatedly. This line also failed to create much of a push in the run game, limiting Rams running backs to just 26 yards on eight carries.

Defensive Line D
DE Robert Quinn stripped Washington RB Matt Jones of the ball on a third-quarter play to (briefly) reverse the game’s momentum. DT Aaron Donald was in the backfield a lot, blowing up running backs and hassling Redskins QB Kirk Cousins. DT Nick Fairley and DE Chris Long teamed for a late sack. But the defensive front was called for a couple of offside penalties (Donald and Ethan Westbrooks) and it allowed Washington to roll for 182 yards on the ground.

Linebackers F
OLB Alec Ogletree had another busy game, making eight tackles according to press box statistics. But he also had a costly facemask penalty in the fourth quarter to facilitate Washington’s scoring drive. MLB James Laurinaitis got credit for four tackles and five assists. But he also had rough moments, such as overrunning an Alfred Morris cutback that resulted in a 34-yard gain for Washington. When the game was on the line, this unit couldn’t make stops. Its play helped Redskins RB Matt Jones bulldoze up and down the field like Jim Brown.

Secondary D
CB Janoris Jenkins wanted an offensive pass interference call on Pierre Garcon’s TD reception. He didn’t get it. Nor did he cover Ryan Grant on an earlier 35-yard reception. He had a rough day that was capped by injury. S Rodney McLeod failed to support on Matt Jones’ 39-yard TD run, getting caught inside and giving up the sideline. On the plus side, safety T.J. McDonald recovered the Jones fumble forced by Quinn. CB Trumaine Johnson made a great read on another pass toward Grant and nearly earned the interception.

Special Teams A
K Greg Zuerlein crushed a 52-yard FG to finally put the Rams on the board in the third quarter. He also did his usual great job on kickoffs, hammering one touchback after another. S Maurice Alexander was noticeable on the punt teams, making a great tackle in coverage and nearly blocking a kick on the other. P Johnny Hekker got some extra practice thanks to penalty related re-kicks.

Coaching F
The Rams appeared to be tactically and emotionally unprepared in the first half as Washington raced to a 17-0 lead. A few adjustments triggered a brief comeback, but Washington went back to imposing its will on the Rams. Jeff Fisher’s team didn’t come close to building upon its exciting opening victory over Seattle. Such are the losses that keep teams out of the playoffs season after season.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Tavon Austin got a negative grade? I thought he was one of the few bright spots on offense.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Someone said that we have trouble with 3-4 defenses. Might have merit.

V3

Hall of Fame
Tavon Austin got a negative grade? I thought he was one of the few bright spots on offense.
Perhaps in the running game but again not in the passing game. That's probably where a lot of the deductions come from.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone explain this? How did 3 of our lineman grade positively on offense? It looked like we were getting manhandled from every position on the line

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully we play less 3-4's this year. Even though we know that's not the case

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Just finished watching the game, my first watch. First of all, I'm furious. The Redskins didn't kill us. We killed us.

As far as those grades go. Don't agree with those OL grades at all. All 5 should be negative.

Rainram

Starter
I'm not going to disagree as much as some of you. Did the OLine have a bad game? Yes. But those grades aren't indicating they necessarily played well. Havenstein and Saffold got ABUSED. Brown was decent (I like this kid), and GRob had some obvious hiccups but also had some good moments.

What I really agree with was the poor play of Nick Foles. For as good as he was Week 1, he was quite the opposite this week. He missed a lot of throws. And the WRs we bad...Britt couldn't do much...Pre-season Chris Givens has gone back into hybernation. Or something. Had Foles made a couple of better throws, or our pass catchers made a couple of plays...it really could have been the difference in sustaining something.

On defense, as has been discussed ad nauseam, our back 7 was bad. The DLine wasn't bad at all...although Trent Williams did a good job on Quinn. But Fairley and Westbrooks both played well.

What is borderline disturbing is just HOW bad our LBers and our Safeties were in run support (and to a lesser extent in pass defense)...and that is with good DLine play in front of them. It was frustrating to watch.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not going to disagree as much as some of you. Did the OLine have a bad game? Yes. But those grades aren't indicating they necessarily played well. Havenstein and Saffold got ABUSED. Brown was decent (I like this kid), and GRob had some obvious hiccups but also had some good moments.

What I really agree with was the poor play of Nick Foles. For as good as he was Week 1, he was quite the opposite this week. He missed a lot of throws. And the WRs we bad...Britt couldn't do much...Pre-season Chris Givens has gone back into hybernation. Or something. Had Foles made a couple of better throws, or our pass catchers made a couple of plays...it really could have been the difference in sustaining something.

On defense, as has been discussed ad nauseam, our back 7 was bad. The DLine wasn't bad at all...although Trent Williams did a good job on Quinn. But Fairley and Westbrooks both played well.

What is borderline disturbing is just HOW bad our LBers and our Safeties were in run support (and to a lesser extent in pass defense)...and that is with good DLine play in front of them. It was frustrating to watch.

It was Westbrooks that had that offsides penalty that they went from 3rd and long and busted a big run on 3rd down when we were catching them at 17-10 and then that drive sealed the game. Westbrooks had many penalties in PS and hoped we'd got past that. I agree with your post. Nick needs to learn to roll left and not always right as he ran straight into pressure when he had a way to buy time to throw many times. He was hearing Footsteps , and he was'nt hit so hard to even cause that. Foles needs to get back to looking downfield some more. We need a couple big plays to back "D" up. They said they practiced that Britt throw all week. Well lets practice about 5 different throws to each guy this week. Go after steelers CB Gay as he can be torched.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Akeem Ayers * -0.2
Lamarcus Joyner -0.2
William Hayes -1
Rodney McLeod * -1.9
Robert Quinn * -2.4
James Laurinaitis * -3.1

JL is the 43RD rated MLB in the NFL. QB of our "D" Needs to shed OL Blocks and make tackles. The skins used our pass rush speed against us as they let our guys take themselves out of the play then they cut blocked our D Lineman. Just hope other teams don't see this as a blueprint to run over us. Can we get JL help in the Middle?

Yeah, it's called :
BL_BEPG15CR_AL.jpg

And McLeod needs to join him....

V3

Hall of Fame
Just finished watching the game, my first watch. First of all, I'm furious. The Redskins didn't kill us. We killed us.

As far as those grades go. Don't agree with those OL grades at all. All 5 should be negative.
I personally think they killed our O-line. I don't think our O-line killed itself. They're just bad. GRob actually looks worse than last year. Havenstein plays too high and has lead feet. The center of our line gets pushed back too often.

The rest of the team I could agree hurt themselves.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I personally think they killed our O-line. I don't think our O-line killed itself. They're just bad. GRob actually looks worse than last year. Havenstein plays too high and has lead feet. The center of our line gets pushed back too often.

The rest of the team I could agree hurt themselves.

Agreed with the OL being very poor, they didn't kill themselves with their blocking, or lack thereof. They're just bad.

I was just talking about the rest of the team in general. The OL played at their normal expected levels. The other positions were much worse than usual. We just didn't play as well as we could have, that's on us.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Steelers run a 3-4 . Do we have an advantage just playing one in the skins?
NO, look how bad they played against KC's 3-4 last year! That didn't help them this year at all!
The coaches don't know how to combat a 3-4 D.

ram007

Starter
NO, look how bad they played against KC's 3-4 last year! That didn't help them this year at all!
The coaches don't know how to combat a 3-4 D.

Disagree. They put the smack on cardinals since Fisher is here. And they run 3-4.