PFF grades for Packers game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Again, if you care about such things. Not many surprises here other than maybe Scott. Tyler Higbee had a really bad November... him having a December like he did a couple of seasons ago would go a long way in helping this offense. Offensive line seems to be grading out well in the run game. Obo has had a really nice November in his limited pass rushing role.

Rams PFF grades: Best and worst performers in Week 12 loss to Packers​

Despite throwing a pick-six, losing two fumbles and failing on fourth-and-1 from their own 29-yard line, the Rams still managed to only lose by eight points to the Packers on Sunday. It’s not a moral victory in the slightest, but it’s an example of just many mistakes they made in a game that they could’ve won.
Matthew Stafford played poorly, the defense struggled to slow down Green Bay and the running game never really got going, leading to lower grades from top to bottom on Pro Football Focus’ scale.
There were only a few standout performers in Week 12 and a bunch of players who disappointed by failing to step up in the biggest game of the season.

Top 3 offense
Kupp didn’t catch a pass until late in the second quarter but he still finished with seven receptions for 96 yards. He didn’t have any drops and gained 42 yards after the catch, leading the team in that department.
Allen allowed just one pressure on 42 pass-blocking snaps, but where he really excelled was in the running game where he earned an 88.2 grade. Though he’s had his share of underwhelming performances, Allen has played surprisingly well this season.
Havenstein gave up five pressures and didn’t seem to have a particularly good game against the Packers, but his 80.5 run-blocking grade helped. He had some trouble with Preston Smith on the right side of the line.
Top 3 defense
  • DT Aaron Donald: 90.8
  • OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo: 85.7
  • S Nick Scott: 83.9
Donald tied for the team-high with four stops and also had five pressures, second only to Von Miller. He was a force as a pass rusher, continuing to prove he hasn’t dropped off at all in that department since turning 30.
Okoronkwo only played 18 snaps and rushed the passer eight times, but he generated three pressures and made two stops. That’s a highly productive game for a guy who barely played.
Scott surprisingly graded out well for PFF, making four tackles and allowing just one catch for 8 yards in coverage. He did drop an interception, though, which would’ve been a big play in the game.
Bottom 3 offense
  • RB Darrell Henderson Jr.: 56.8
  • LG David Edwards: 54.4
  • TE Tyler Higbee: 52.4
Henderson forced only one missed tackle on his 16 carries, gaining a respectable 55 yards. He’s struggled to break tackles all season and he didn’t do much to impress against Green Bay.
Edwards gave up three pressures and was given a pass-blocking grade of 48.6, the lowest of the Rams’ offensive linemen.
Higbee earned the highest pass-blocking grade on the team with a 74.2 mark, but he only caught one pass for 3 yards on five targets – though that wasn’t necessarily his fault. Matthew Stafford missed him badly on a perfect corner route where Higbee broke wide open behind the second level of the defense.
Bottom 3 defense
  • OLB Terrell Lewis: 54.1
  • S Taylor Rapp: 48.4
  • LB Troy Reeder: 46.6
Lewis rushed the passer eight times on his 22 snaps but didn’t record a single pressure and only assisted on one tackle.
Rapp made a big mistake when he took a terrible angle on Randall Cobb’s 54-yard reception, allowing a huge gain to the veteran receiver. He also missed one tackle and allowed four catches on five targets.
Reeder was the weak link on defense and was clearly the focus of Green Bay’s offense. He allowed six catches for 65 yards and a touchdown on seven targets in coverage and missed three tackles on the day. He’s become a liability in the middle of the field and teams are targeting him with a great deal of success.
Other notables
  • S Jordan Fuller: 74.3
  • OLB Von Miller: 72.2
  • WR Odell Beckham Jr.: 61.5
  • QB Matthew Stafford: 58.8
  • CB Jalen Ramsey: 56.1
Fuller hasn’t really made any spectacular plays but he’s been steady and reliable as the last line of defense. He made seven total tackles in the game and broke up two passes, including a deep shot over the middle.
Miller led the team with six pressures and had an 81.7 run defense grade, the best on the Rams this week. He’s showing why the Rams paid up to acquire him mid-season.
Beckham made one big play, a 54-yard touchdown, but wasn’t much of a factor otherwise. He’s still learning the offense and will need time to get fully acclimated.
Stafford had his second-worst game of the season with a 58.8 grade, throwing a pick-six, losing a fumble and making three bad throws, according to PFF. It felt like far more than that, especially considering the Packers dropped two interceptions and he threw behind his receiver about four times.
Ramsey’s 56.1 grade was also his second-lowest of the year, allowing seven catches on seven targets for 48 yards. PFF pinned him with two missed tackles, as well, so it was a game he’d probably like to forget.

TexasRam

Legend
Clearly Jared Goff wasn't good enough.

I kid, I kid.

Calm down Karen’s. :p

On to next week and our best ball at the end of the season.

Ellard80

Legend
ramsey was interesting to me... he never forced an incompletion against Adams

and Rodgers beat him 1 on 1 to the end zone..

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Everyone knows the IOL is vulnerable to stunts and bull rushes, and that Reeder and Rapp can't cover shit

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Some were questioning if Donald and Miller were over the hump, but this shows they are still top contributors on the team. Rodgers got the ball out quick and is great at escaping a collapsing pocket.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Does PFF do grades for coaches ... playcalling, game/time management, etc.? If not, they should.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The 7-4 Los Angeles Rams offensive line had a rough outing against the Green Bay Packers in Week 12. According to Pro Football Focus (and the eye test), Andrew Whitworth showed his age at Lambeau Field, where he earned his worst overall grade of the season. There was plenty of blame to share for Los Angeles’ latest loss and the big guys up front certainly had their blunders, as all but one of the five linemen graded out under their season average.
usa_today_17252642.0.jpg

LA_VS_GB_ALL_OFF_PFF.JPG

Pass Protection: F​

The Rams offensive line struggled to keep Matthew Stafford clean against Green Bay, allowing 14 pressures, 12 hurries and two sacks. The first sack of the day also caused a turnover, as Whitworth was beat around the edge by linebacker Rashan Gary.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465075522283704324

Gary swatted Stafford’s throwing arm, forcing a fumble which was recovered by Preston Smith. The turnover gave Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense an instant goal-to-go opportunity, which they cashed in for their first touchdown of the day.

The O-line did block well enough for Stafford to launch two touchdown bombs of 79 and 54 yards, respectively. However, Van Jefferson’s touchdown could have easily been called back if the officials noticed Rob Havenstein hugging Smith as if they were meeting at their 20 year high school reunion.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465080391145082893

However, there were moments that the pass blocking was immaculate, as Stafford had a few clean pockets to work from. Unfortunately, some of that pristine protection was wasted by bad throws.

They still get a damn “F.”

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465418403284406285

Run Blocking: F+​

Sean McVay finally gave Darrell Henderson some opportunities to run the ball against the Packers; Henderson got 16 carries, his most since Week 6. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a ton of yardage to be found as the Memphis product only averaged 3.4 yards per carry. It’s never a good thing when there are two Rams offensive lineman on the ground and there are no pancakes in sight.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465193151862296578

A lot of the physicality that used to be present in the run game is gone, thanks impart to a heavy usage of shotgun. There’s a bit of a trend where Los Angeles has been unable to convert on third and fourth downs on the ground. In those crucial “must have” situations, the offensive line has not been able to bully people as they have been in past seasons.

Insert Adrian Amos, literally. He was a missile, meeting Darrell Henderson behind the line of scrimmage to deny LA on fourth-and-1. There aren’t many running plays where the safety is the O-line’s responsibility, though it is their job to climb to the next level of the defense and get to certain areas in a zone blocking scheme.

McVay noted in his postgame press conference that there was a “fundamental mistake” with the offensive line staying on a combination block too long. Right guard Austin Corbett seems to be the culprit in question on this play.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465491302833819648

You can see Corbett notice Amos and recognize that he has to get to the second level to fulfill his duty on the play. He just doesn’t get to the second level in time. I still hate the decision to go for it there and the play call itself. If you are going to gamble there, I’d like to see a quarterback sneak, especially with no one covering the center.

Penalties: C​

Big Whit was called twice for holding (including the play he allowed the sack-fumble), but the Packers declined both penalties, due to Green Bay having favorable results on each play. Left guard David Edwards was also called for a false start. Technically, the offensive line was not responsible for any backbreaking penalties that killed drives, with the Packers only accepting one penalty for five yards, but it certainly felt worse than that.

Hopefully the offensive line can use the upcoming game against the Jacksonville Jaguars as a tune up of sorts before traveling to Arizona in the game that could make or break the Rams’ 2021 season.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well Ramseys issues are he isn't playing lock down anymore. He's their "star" position lol. Whatever that means

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Everyone knows the IOL is vulnerable to stunts and bull rushes, and that Reeder and Rapp can't cover shit
Yep. Rapp is a box safety and only a box safety which are a dime a dozen and don’t need to be picked in round 2. I don’t even think he’s all that good in that role. The Rams desperately need a free safety. They miss JJ and Troy Hill more than many thought possible. Reeder has always been a problem in pass coverage and is only good running North and South. In a supposed Super Bowl run it’s hard to believe they rolled with Reeder. Jones isn’t really impressing much either. They traded their best Linebacker imo.

This experiment of loading up on stars and filling in with late round picks and UDFA’s is looking flawed. There are some glaring holes that have shown up and teams know exactly where they are.

Von Miller is coming around but damn those 2nd and 3rd round picks could go a long way to shoring up this defense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
ramsey was interesting to me... he never forced an incompletion against Adams

and Rodgers beat him 1 on 1 to the end zone..

I'm ALWAYS of the opinion that if you're chasing the QB...GET AFTER HIM. Trust the guys behind you to do their job and get that QB on the ground. So many guys stay in the no man's land and either allow the QB to beat them with their feet or with a pass.

Take the feet away and let your teammates take care of any pass issues. That's team defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yeah - I’ve been the biggest Troy Reeder fan. I still like Troy Reeder as that LBer who is a situational player who comes off the bench on late downs or certain running downs(Blizt)
Zone.
Kenny Young has been missed.Was 100% shocked of the timing there.
The Rams were 7-1 & he had SWAG.Mcvay missed that part of him. He talks about players with swag & Kenny Young was that player for The Rams. He did miss a lot of plays,but made some Big Plays as well.

Taylor Rapp ?? He has never impressed me & on the biggest defensive play his guy is the one who usually puts a dagger into the D”

Who knows though ? Another week.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm ALWAYS of the opinion that if you're chasing the QB...GET AFTER HIM. Trust the guys behind you to do their job and get that QB on the ground. So many guys stay in the no man's land and either allow the QB to beat them with their feet or with a pass.

Take the feet away and let your teammates take care of any pass issues. That's team defense.
yeah he should have went after rodgers full speed... with what position he was in.. he wasn't covering anyone behind him.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

The 7-4 Los Angeles Rams offensive line had a rough outing against the Green Bay Packers in Week 12. According to Pro Football Focus (and the eye test), Andrew Whitworth showed his age at Lambeau Field, where he earned his worst overall grade of the season. There was plenty of blame to share for Los Angeles’ latest loss and the big guys up front certainly had their blunders, as all but one of the five linemen graded out under their season average.
usa_today_17252642.0.jpg

LA_VS_GB_ALL_OFF_PFF.JPG

Pass Protection: F​

The Rams offensive line struggled to keep Matthew Stafford clean against Green Bay, allowing 14 pressures, 12 hurries and two sacks. The first sack of the day also caused a turnover, as Whitworth was beat around the edge by linebacker Rashan Gary.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465075522283704324

Gary swatted Stafford’s throwing arm, forcing a fumble which was recovered by Preston Smith. The turnover gave Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense an instant goal-to-go opportunity, which they cashed in for their first touchdown of the day.

The O-line did block well enough for Stafford to launch two touchdown bombs of 79 and 54 yards, respectively. However, Van Jefferson’s touchdown could have easily been called back if the officials noticed Rob Havenstein hugging Smith as if they were meeting at their 20 year high school reunion.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465080391145082893

However, there were moments that the pass blocking was immaculate, as Stafford had a few clean pockets to work from. Unfortunately, some of that pristine protection was wasted by bad throws.

They still get a damn “F.”

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465418403284406285

Run Blocking: F+​

Sean McVay finally gave Darrell Henderson some opportunities to run the ball against the Packers; Henderson got 16 carries, his most since Week 6. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a ton of yardage to be found as the Memphis product only averaged 3.4 yards per carry. It’s never a good thing when there are two Rams offensive lineman on the ground and there are no pancakes in sight.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465193151862296578

A lot of the physicality that used to be present in the run game is gone, thanks impart to a heavy usage of shotgun. There’s a bit of a trend where Los Angeles has been unable to convert on third and fourth downs on the ground. In those crucial “must have” situations, the offensive line has not been able to bully people as they have been in past seasons.

Insert Adrian Amos, literally. He was a missile, meeting Darrell Henderson behind the line of scrimmage to deny LA on fourth-and-1. There aren’t many running plays where the safety is the O-line’s responsibility, though it is their job to climb to the next level of the defense and get to certain areas in a zone blocking scheme.

McVay noted in his postgame press conference that there was a “fundamental mistake” with the offensive line staying on a combination block too long. Right guard Austin Corbett seems to be the culprit in question on this play.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1465491302833819648

You can see Corbett notice Amos and recognize that he has to get to the second level to fulfill his duty on the play. He just doesn’t get to the second level in time. I still hate the decision to go for it there and the play call itself. If you are going to gamble there, I’d like to see a quarterback sneak, especially with no one covering the center.

Penalties: C​

Big Whit was called twice for holding (including the play he allowed the sack-fumble), but the Packers declined both penalties, due to Green Bay having favorable results on each play. Left guard David Edwards was also called for a false start. Technically, the offensive line was not responsible for any backbreaking penalties that killed drives, with the Packers only accepting one penalty for five yards, but it certainly felt worse than that.

Hopefully the offensive line can use the upcoming game against the Jacksonville Jaguars as a tune up of sorts before traveling to Arizona in the game that could make or break the Rams’ 2021 season.

Sadly McVay has not shown the willingness to be flexible enough to adjust for the O line struggles.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sadly McVay has not shown the willingness to be flexible enough to adjust for the O line struggles.
The common thread at all offensive positions for McVay.

I need to remind myself as I think on McVay's trending downward abilities to call a good game as the HC ....the fact that McVay has had the luxury of having his selected starting OL remain intact & starting since Training Camp. Yes, he has had an injury at the center but has continued to play the often unhealthy Allen over a long time Ram uninjured 4 seasons back up center, Coleman Shelton.

I'm not sure about this maybe one of our members has the knowledge of just how bad the injuries have been throughout the NFL in the OL's, but I really doubt that any other NFL team has that great luck to ride with them. I see where many competitive teams have lost at least 2 to 3 starters since the season began.