PFF/ESPN Have Rams Making Sizable Jump In Roster Rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
PFF/ESPN Have St. Louis Rams Making Sizable Jump In Their Annual Roster Rankings

By Brandon Bate

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/6...nfl-team-rankings-st-louis-rams-make-big-jump

Sam Monson, of Pro Football Focus, ranked all 32 NFL teams for ESPN. Where did the St. Louis Rams land?

For the second consecutive year, ESPN has asked the staff or Pro Football Focus to utilize their data to rank all 32 NFL teams. The Seattle Seahawks, once again, hold the league’s top spot.

In 2014, you would’ve had to scroll through these rankings almost in their entirety to find the St. Louis Rams, who checked in at 31. This year, they’ve made a bit of a jump on the rankings. No In$ider? No Problem...

22. St. Louis Rams

2014 Ranking: 31

Top five players: Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Nick Fairley

Starters who should be upgraded: Alec Ogletree, Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin, Nick Foles

Analysis: With perhaps their five best players all residing on the defensive line, the Rams are building their foundation in the right place. Donald is the best young defensive tackle in the league, while Quinn remains one of the most feared pass-rushers despite taking a step back from his 2013 dominance. There is a sea of average in the back seven, but St. Louis is hoping its stout front will mask some of those deficiencies.

The offensive line has gotten a lot of attention in recent years, though there's little to show for it at this point. The skill positions are also a place where potential has trumped production, as the Rams are still waiting on Austin and Brian Quick to emerge. Rookie running back Todd Gurley may be just what the offense needs to get back on track. At quarterback, the big unknown is whether Foles can be a productive player outside of the Eagles' system.

Now, if I’m reading this correctly, Sam Monson [of PFF] is stating that Ogletree, G-Rob, Tavon, and Foles should all be upgraded; not improved. That probably comes as a surprise to many, as Ogletree has played very well for the Rams since being drafted in 2013. Robinson, while he still has room to improve [heading into his second season in the NFL], probably wasn’t drafted second overall to be pushed out of the starting left tackle spot with such haste.

And are William Hayes and Nick Fairley really two of the five best players on the team?

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is silly. No Tre Mason? Up grade a rookie who hasnt played a full season? What?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Should be upgraded must mean they expect them to move up this season. It's the only thing that makes sense.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
If we were able to win 6 games with the 31st best roster imagine what we can do with the 22nd.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Now, if I’m reading this correctly, Sam Monson [of PFF] is stating that Ogletree, G-Rob, Tavon, and Foles should all be upgraded; not improved. That probably comes as a surprise to many, as Ogletree has played very well for the Rams since being drafted in 2013. Robinson, while he still has room to improve [heading into his second season in the NFL], probably wasn’t drafted second overall to be pushed out of the starting left tackle spot with such haste.

And are William Hayes and Nick Fairley really two of the five best players on the team?

Well, using sophisticated BSPN logic, if a rookie isn't a superstar in year 1, he's not good and will never be good.

And using PFF's overanalyzing statistical numbers they pull out of their ass, you can make up any stat to fit your opinion.

So when you combine the two, you get a shit storm that's worse than a fat person's Taco Bell adventure.

I can't believe you have to pay for this garbage.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Well, using sophisticated BSPN logic, if a rookie isn't a superstar in year 1, he's not good and will never be good.

And using PFF's overanalyzing statistical numbers they pull out of their ass, you can make up any stat to fit your opinion.

So when you combine the two, you get a crap storm that's worse than a fat person's Taco Bell adventure.

I can't believe you have to pay for this garbage.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-12-07-12_1.jpg

Alan

Legend
PFF's deficiencies rear their ugly heads when they stray from evaluating individual performances.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Ultimately, the rating level makes perfect sense. The Rams up to this point have been a 3rd tier team, albeit near the top of that 3rd tier...things had better up end differently this season. :cautious:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The great thing about this is the "starters who could be upgraded" are mainly young players in the first 3 years of their careers! That means they hopefully WILL be upgraded as they get better. They either fulfill their potential - (great), or they don't (we then upgrade them!). I think criticism of Robinson is harsh considering he played two positions in his rookie year and was raw anyway coming from an unusual college system. No one expected him to be the finished article last season - so I don't get why when he wasn't (the finished article) they criticise him for it?? Austin and Ogletree have had a little longer and are a bit different prospects. I expected more from Tavon Austin - but you have to look at the offensive system as a whole and the fact he's had Shaun Hill, Kellen Clemens and Austin Davis as his QBs so far. Ogletree I haven't got any excuses for. He needs to be more consistent. Sometimes he flashes greatness - he's got a great knack for causing fumbles for example - and at key times - and at others he seems slow to react. He was brought in part to stifle the read-option QB's of the NFC West but that hasn't been his strength really. Hope he has an "up" year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Starters who should be upgraded: Alec Ogletree, Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin, Nick Foles

There are those who believe in Foles and those who don't but at the very least he has showed he can play in this league.
A.O has not performed in the top half of the league for his position although I think we all believe his best days are still ahead especially with help from Ayers and hopefully a lot of work on his upper body and technique to learn to shed blocks.
T.A is not a top half starting wideout I know I know he is a slot slash... receiver but still not top half. I believe he is due a breakout year.
GR Again not a top half LT YET. He should quickly progress into the top half and hopefully sooner than later.

If you are not in the top half at your position then in theory your team should at least be doing do diligence.
We are in a place where this sort of off season crap is filling time but in truth it is fair at only face value not taking into consideration age , experience and other variables

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ogletree I haven't got any excuses for. He needs to be more consistent. Sometimes he flashes greatness - he's got a great knack for causing fumbles for example - and at key times - and at others he seems slow to react. He was brought in part to stifle the read-option QB's of the NFC West but that hasn't been his strength really.

Ogletree just has not figured out how to rush elusive QBs. Way too often he is supposed to be sealing the edge and he takes an inside track getting burned outside with no one behind him. He definitely has the skill and athleticism in my mind, he just needs to make better decisions. It would be better to NOT even rush the passer and just contain him than get beat.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are those who believe in Foles and those who don't but at the very least he has showed he can play in this league.
A.O has not performed in the top half of the league for his position although I think we all believe his best days are still ahead especially with help from Ayers and hopefully a lot of work on his upper body and technique to learn to shed blocks.
T.A is not a top half starting wideout I know I know he is a slot slash... receiver but still not top half. I believe he is due a breakout year.
GR Again not a top half LT YET. He should quickly progress into the top half and hopefully sooner than later.

If you are not in the top half at your position then in theory your team should at least be doing do diligence.
We are in a place where this sort of off season crap is filling time but in truth it is fair at only face value not taking into consideration age , experience and other variables

All of these of course are young enough that there is a good likelihood of improvement naturally. Foles may or may not improve - but in fact he is an upgrade (due to health) compared to what the Rams have had there the past few seasons. And they drafted another option for future years.

I'd expect improvement. And I've said it before - any "analysis" that doesn't involve actual thinking and reasonable projections is not an analysis at all.