PFF discusses Rams Preview for 2021 Season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
That is a weird over-the-top take on McVay/Goff and McVay/Stafford in the beginning. by the second guy.

They know the players.

He flip-flopped later on Stafford. I don't see how Stafford can not greatly improve whatever/however they get their grades.

The defense may regress some but, not by that much. Floyd is more than a pass rusher.

Now the offensive line is good. OK

They never seem to like the Rams but, in the end, took the over 10.5 wins.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm sure they'll get right on and focus the O on improving their PFF "grade".

TexasRam

Legend
They give a realistic take on the question of if Stafford can improve the Rams offense.

It's probably rough for all the Kool-Aid drinkers but Stafford is a flashy but inconsistent QB that has the same QB rating as Goff, while being less impressive in his playoff starts.

There is no doubting Stafford's ability to create and throw the deep ball is superior than Goff's but can he be as consistent within the system itself, which is where Goff shined, leading them to the Top offense in Football over 2018-2019.

The guys are only musing about what the rest of the folks outside the Rams bubble talk about.

10 wins is about right and will depend on injuries, opponents injuries, and a few critical positions such as Center, Nickel CB, Safety and Stafford.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly when the offense was good it’s was Gurley offense. Goff made some great throws and he certainly won us some games but that offense for those two years was Gurleys. When the league caught up to McVays offense they caught up to Goff and he couldn’t improvise he couldn’t be a quarterback. Not saying that’s all Goff my take on McVay and Goff is well known but that’s where Stafford is gonna shine. McVay isn’t gonna be in his ear to say throw here. Stafford can improvise and read defenses those last seconds adjustments aren’t gonna throw him off his game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They give a realistic take on the question of if Stafford can improve the Rams offense.

It's probably rough for all the Kool-Aid drinkers but Stafford is a flashy but inconsistent QB that has the same QB rating as Goff, while being less impressive in his playoff starts.

There is no doubting Stafford's ability to create and throw the deep ball is superior than Goff's but can he be as consistent within the system itself, which is where Goff shined, leading them to the Top offense in Football over 2018-2019.

The guys are only musing about what the rest of the folks outside the Rams bubble talk about.

10 wins is about right and will depend on injuries, opponents injuries, and a few critical positions such as Center, Nickel CB, Safety and Stafford.
Goff and the offense shined while teams were still baffled on how to defend it. How has he operated it since defensive coordinators got a better grip on it ,is the true comparison. 2017-2018 is a bit of an outlier. What decent QB can’t thrive when everything is perfect?
What matters is how they perform when things are not perfect. That’s the atmosphere that Stafford has performed better in than most QBs for most of his career due to his supporting cast.

It’s not Koolaid drinking. Just critical analysis.

Tano

Legend
Goff and the offense shined while teams were still baffled on how to defend it. How has he operated it since defensive coordinators got a better grip on it ,is the true comparison. 2017-2018 is a bit of an outlier. What decent QB can’t thrive when everything is perfect?
What matters is how they perform when things are not perfect. That’s the atmosphere that Stafford has performed better in than most QBs for most of his career due to his supporting cast.

Not going to argue but I am hoping you are right. I still have my concerns about Stafford but I am going to support him just like I supported Goff.

TexasRam

Legend

There is no arguing Stafford is an upgrade for when plays aren’t perfect. But as we see with Russell Wilson and Mahomes, off schedule QBs don’t always win the big games. It can be argued Goff is more consistent and better when the coach prioritizes the Oline.

I’m fact, reading the lions board they are mentioning that Goff is a more accurate short to medium passer than they saw in all those years with Stafford. They say he gets through progressions much better then Stafford ever did.They do acknowledge that Stafford is much more aggressive and throws a better deep ball. They also mention Stafford didn’t have to have his feet set like Goff does. But they mention Stafford often tried to force balls even when WR is covered rather than go through progressions as they are seeing with Goff.

It’s really two different styles. One plays better in a system and one plays better outside it. But I think it’s naive not to recognize Mcvays role in the Offensive downturn. One could argue his offense has been figured out, become predictable and he hasn’t either fixed the Oline or evolved his scheme.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is no arguing Stafford is an upgrade for when plays aren’t perfect. But as we see with Russell Wilson and Mahomes, off schedule QBs don’t always win the big games. It can be argued Goff is more consistent and better when the coach prioritizes the Oline.

I’m fact, reading the lions board they are mentioning that Goff is a more accurate short to medium passer than they saw in all those years with Stafford. They say he gets through progressions much better then Stafford ever did.They do acknowledge that Stafford is much more aggressive and throws a better deep ball. They also mention Stafford didn’t have to have his feet set like Goff does. But they mention Stafford often tried to force balls even when WR is covered rather than go through progressions as they are seeing with Goff.

It’s really two different styles. One plays better in a system and one plays better outside it. But I think it’s naive not to recognize Mcvays role in the Offensive downturn. One could argue his offense has been figured out, become predictable and he hasn’t either fixed the Oline or evolved his scheme.
Or it’s naive to not recognize that the QB has not evolved and learned to read the defenses or react to a pass rush in 5 years in the league.

We will find out which it is. My bet is that McVay had made the necessary changes someone just failed to adjust.

I’ll reiterate, which teams with a lot of star players have cap room to ‘prioritize’ the Oline? Is the Rams offensive line that bad outside of 2019? They had no instant upgrades to sign without cap space. QBs don’t always have the good fortune of having a top ten Oline every season. Mahomes didn’t have one last year yet the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl. Wilson didn’t have one since Brady Mode but was on a record setting pace for the first half of last year. Brady’s Oline has not been top ten every year they won a Super Bowl. It is an unrealistic expectation.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I’m fact, reading the lions board they are mentioning that Goff is a more accurate short to medium passer than they saw in all those years with Stafford. They say he gets through progressions much better then Stafford ever did.
This
Or it’s naive to not recognize that the QB has not evolved and learned to read the defenses or react to a pass rush in 5 years in the league.

We will find out which it is. My bet is that McVay had made the necessary changes someone just failed to adjust.

I’ll reiterate, which teams with a lot of star players have cap room to ‘prioritize’ the Oline? Is the Rams offensive line that bad outside of 2019? They had no instant upgrades to sign without cap space. QBs don’t always have the good fortune of having a top ten Oline every season. Mahomes didn’t have one last year yet the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl. Wilson didn’t have one since Brady Mode but was on a record setting pace for the first half of last year. Brady’s Oline has not been top ten every year they won a Super Bowl. It is an unrealistic expectation.
Maybe .... Maybe not ... As you say - we will see

But if Allen is an improvement over Blythe - that will be a huge difference in both the run game and pass game

If Allen can make downfield blocks better than Blythe, then runs last year that went for 5 to 10 yards will go for 15 yards or more.

There were some plays last year that if Blythe made his block on a linebacker, both Akers and Henderson would have been gone.

And I just hope Allen can block a bull rush better on 3rd and long.

Goff consistently had less than 2 secs on those plays

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
You can say what you want about the two of them but Stafford is a lot tougher than goff and toughness matters at the NFL OB position. It is like comparing Bradshaw to Bulger.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh good another thread for the Goff debate.

He’s a lion, screw him and the other 30 QBs who are not Rams.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
To the second guy’s opening. It’s all complete bullshit. McVay was not with the Rams when Goff was drafted and he has never said anything remotely close to that albatross nonsense about Goff.

Apparently they don’t see camp reports or follow ROD. Stafford has been throwing dies all over the field in camp. Goff was never that accurate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I’ll point out that you labeling people in favor of the trade as KoolAid drinkers and that you you visit Detroit forums in searching of information to use to prop up your opinion, is very telling. I have never been to a Detroit forum. I guess these Detroit fans compared the last three years of Goff to the last three years of Stafford? Probably not. It’s more like they are comparing Goff in preseason with zero pass rush to Stafford in situations where the defense knew he’d be passing on every down because they were trailing.
I’ll leave it at that. I shouldn’t have responded in the first place with anything other than

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
My opinion is Stafford's an upgrade but not as big of one as many think. I think that upgrade is mainly that Staff's able to mentally process things faster and more agressively.

I also have the feeling Goff was "overcoached" and became mentally boxed-in and timid.

Tano

Legend
You can say what you want about the two of them but Stafford is a lot tougher than goff and toughness matters at the NFL OB position. It is like comparing Bradshaw to Bulger.
What do you mean by toughness? Goff is one tough son of a bitch as well. Only thing that took him out was a surgery to his broken thumb and he still played two weeks later.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Awww, that's cute. People who support their teams QB are now sheep. Kool-aid drinkers, you name it. Thank GOD we have "realists" like you to keep us in line. Shepherd us sheep if you will.

Shuie3225

Starter
he gets through progressions much better then Stafford ever did.
LOL how do you expect to keep credibility when you say nonsense like this? Complete 100% bullshit. Goff can't go through progressions at all, extremely weak point of his game. And saying Goff has been better in the playoffs is misleading. Staffords first playoff game he threw for 380 yards and had 4TDs and lost. With a playoff defense giving up 30PPG. The teams around them and coaching have been completely different.

Just become a Detroit fan so you can follow your boyfriend around after every game. You're arguments are tired as fuck and so far off from reality. Cant believe its still hard for you to accept the truth after your favorite player gets shipped off to the NFL cellar for peanuts because he's not a good leader or QB. But hey, I'm happy you can evaluate QBs better than McVay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh good another thread turns to a Goff thread. Both sides of the aisle to blame. He’s so far in some peoples heads they’ll never get over it.