Peyton Manning will retire

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27/report-peyton-manning-will-retire/

Report: Peyton Manning will retire
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptk3mzk4nzzkzgrkzwninjyyogy1mtqwzdqxzdm2yta4-e1446462160590.jpeg
AP

The Sheriff has left the building.

Woody Paige of the Denver Post, citing a pair of unnamed sources, reports that Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will retire.

Manning is expected to make the announcement late in the coming week.

But while Manning won’t be returning to the Broncos, Paige’s report doesn’t slam the door on Manning playing elsewhere, merely saying it’s “implausible” he would choose to play one more year with another team. Manning would need to be released by the Broncos to do that, a request the Broncos surely would grant if Manning were to make it.

Manning leaves Denver with his second Super Bowl win, which capped arguably the most bizarre season of his career. Banged up and misplaced in first-year coach Gary Kubiak’s offense, Manning limped away after a November 15 home loss to the Chiefs amid not-so-quiet whispers that he’d overstayed his NFL welcome.

Then, relegated to backup status for the first time in his NFL career, Manning came off the bench to help secure a Week 17 win over the Chargers, helping the Broncos secure the No. 1 seed (a loss would have put them at No. 5) and setting the stage for close postseason wins at home over the Steelers and Patriots followed by a convincing victory over the Panthers in a game the Denver defense dominated.

The move is no surprise; Manning wasn’t going to be playing for the Broncos in 2016. The only question was whether he’d leave voluntarily or be cut.

Whenever he calls it quits, the five-year wait for Canton will begin. If the debate over Brett Favre’s candidacy took only six seconds, Manning should require half that, or less.

Heck, they should just waive the waiting period and put him in now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But while Manning won’t be returning to the Broncos, Paige’s report doesn’t slam the door on Manning playing elsewhere, merely saying it’s “implausible” he would choose to play one more year with another team. Manning would need to be released by the Broncos to do that, a request the Broncos surely would grant if Manning were to make it.

Yet there's the above contradictory statement which will leave some fans of teams who are without a top-notch QB...cough...Rams...cough...hoping anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well Mike Florio said it so it must be true. Way to go out on a limb MF. Citing Woody Paige citing two unnamed sources. More rock solid investigative journalism by the biggest tool in the shed.

Is it obvious I don't care for Florio?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure he doesn't want to be in his last year while this UT scandal unfolds and more dirt is dug up about him. That Van Atta piece was particularly damning, imho.

I knew when that came out he had to retire if for no reason than to not face more and more in depth scrutiny about it.

Plus... He's done.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As it should be. Helluva QB. Oh and one more thing.....

OMAHA!!!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Well Mike Florio said it so it must be true. Way to go out on a limb MF. Citing Woody Paige citing two unnamed sources. More rock solid investigative journalism by the biggest tool in the shed.

Is it obvious I don't care for Florio?

I think you are being rather harsh 503. I think Florio probably has a relatively small tool.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nt-story-which-is-revised-by-the-denver-post/

Broncos dispute Manning retirement story, which is revised by the Denver Post
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptayymfjzgjjowfkztq4njazmjfkyje4odnlzji2mzhl-e1442541614801.jpeg
AP

The Broncos have openly disputed an item in the Denver Post that reported Peyton Manning will retire.

Peyton has not made a decision on his future,” Broncos V.P. of public relations Patrick Smyth said on Twitter. “Plan remains for him to continue talks with the team this week.”

Meanwhile, the story from Woody Paige of the Post has been revised. The following sentence has been removed: “According to two sources, Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.” It now says this: “I’m told Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.”

The headline continues to declare that Manning “will ride off into the sunset.”

Maybe he will, but according to the Broncos that decision hasn’t been made. If it has been made, it hasn’t been communicated to the team.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Why would the Broncos go to the trouble of disputing this?

Also, is Manning like Favre? Trying to drag something like this out, like we are all waiting on pins and needles? I get that it's a big deal for him to retire. But do it already! I don't give a rip.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Manning can honestly look at last year and think he could still be productive next season, another year older, I don't feel bad for him if somethings happens. He said at the super bowl that you don't make a decision when your emotions are high. Well buster when that decision is so obvious among everyone who watches you, it's probably the right one. I like Manning but it gets to a point where you want to see turnover in the NFL and it's time for Brady and Manning to let the league change course on who the big dogs are. Neither of them are playing for anything now except a life altering injury.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I sure Manning will announce his retirement in a timely manner, so the Bronco's can decide what their going to do and how their going to do it! He's owes them that much!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think I've ever seen a team carry a QB to a SB win like I did this year with Manning.
If Osweiler would have played just a bit better against San Diego, or rather if many of the offensive players didn't gag it up in that game, Manning may have never seen the field again. He wont/wouldn't get any more glory than what he got leaving the field as a SB champ.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I agree. This dude has had his perfect retirement gift wrapped better than any player since John Elway, and he seems to want to Favre it up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson say hi.
Brad Johnson had 22 td to 6 INT and a 93 rating (Which was his career high) the year they won the SB. Dilfer granted didn't do anything special, just stayed out of the way. But considering Peyton Manning had worse stats than Nick Foles in 2015 I'll say again Ive never seen anything like it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brad Johnson had 22 td to 6 INT and a 93 rating (Which was his career high) the year they won the SB. Dilfer granted didn't do anything special, just stayed out of the way. But considering Peyton Manning had worse stats than Nick Foles in 2015 I'll say again Ive never seen anything like it.

And you are right because there has never been anything like this, ever.

Manning is a legend, that cannot be denied, but this is like Heath Shuler "leading" a team to a SB victory.

Dilfer had the worst playoff run I think I have ever seen and he has a ring LOL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

And you are right because there has never been anything like this, ever.

Manning is a legend, that cannot be denied, but this is like Heath Shuler "leading" a team to a SB victory.

Dilfer had the worst playoff run I think I have ever seen and he has a ring LOL.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
If true, nice to go out on top.............
giphy.gif

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
All the more reason to actually, "go out" though. You see the going out on top thing is great. There are the two parts. "On top" which is true. Check that. He won the Super Bowl. (y)

And then there is the "going out" part which only he, and that creepy Papa Johns guy might be avoiding. (n)( one of you tech-Savvy guys cue up that airline reservation scene from Seinfeld. "I don't think you know how to retire, Mr. Manning. Anybody can send rumors of retirement. It's RETIRING itself that counts.")

You see, there has to be a very intentional action on his part, that history, his body, his mother, his defense, all of sane humanity, fantasy owners are crying out for. I think even jealous face Eli is praying for the day. :sick:

Just do it you fake-jolly-good-locker room pervert. Retire. Own your past. Move on. You now suck. You WERE good. The benched Peyton won in Santa Clara. Most of us thought Cooper might have been suited up those last couple years. It's getting ugly. "Go, my friend!":mrburnsevil: