Peyton Manning feared Patriots bugging visitors’ locker room

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PEVHnZD.jpg

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Click link below to watch video.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...feared-patriots-bugging-visitors-locker-room/

Peyton Manning feared Patriots bugging visitors’ locker room
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 20, 2015

6b87d5839a2f981597352298cce0ec40.jpeg
AP

Since the Spygate story broke in 2007, there’s been a widespread perception around the NFL that the Patriots cheat. But in the years between Spygate and Deflategate, those accusations amounted to little more than rumor and innuendo.

Still, the rumors and innuendo affected the way NFL teams prepared to play against the Patriots. And the player who has been the Patriots’ biggest rival, Peyton Manning, took specific steps to combat the possibility that the Patriots were cheating.

That’s the word from former Colts coach Tony Dungy, who said on the Dan Patrick Show that when the Colts were playing in New England, Manning would leave the visitors’ locker room and go into an adjacent hallway when he wanted to discuss specific plays the Colts were going to run because Manning feared the locker room was bugged.

Dungy said he doesn’t know if the Patriots’ locker room really was bugged, but he did confirm that a 2010 Peter King report about Manning’s concerns was accurate.

“I know that that is very true, and, you know, as Peyton talked to guys who played for the Patriots, some of the guys who came over — whether it’s true or not he treated it as true. We didn’t have a lot of strategy discussions inside the locker room there,” Dungy said.

Dungy stressed that he doesn’t know that the Patriots were cheating, but that Manning didn’t want to take any chances.

“Peyton takes everything to the nth degree,” Dungy said.

And, if the rumor and innuendo are to be believed, so do the Patriots.
Of course they were cheating we all know now it's the Patriot way.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Honestly you can say that the Patriots would do anything for an edge and you'd be right. You can say oh it's not that big a deal, or everyone was doing it, or the league got over it so should you until you're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is these guys have set a precedence for themselves for going above and beyond for cheating.

They do it at any inclination at multiple difference levels and it starts right down into the coaching staff. I doubt Peyton is the only one who has severe doubts about Gillette being an even playing field.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was just about to post this article. I'd feel safe saying there is a 50% chance, or more, of that being the case. The Colts had a suspicion too. I can't wait to play them this season.

Listen, @Rynie

I sure hope you've got Bea Arthur as your avatar because you love and adore that Golden Girl, cuz... she's awesome. So, mad props for that as long as it's not sarcastic.

One of the few good things about Florida... Golden Girls and oranges...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Listen, @Rynie

I sure hope you've got Bea Arthur as your avatar because you love and adore that Golden Girl, cuz... she's awesome. So, mad props for that as long as it's not sarcastic.

One of the few good things about Florida... Golden Girls and oranges...

There's also good beaches you sarcastic mofo.

I think the Bea avatar was stuck on him in a moment of hasty revenge from X.

A hunch, I have no proof. Just sayin'.......

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My buddy says every team cheats. That may be true but never to the extent of the Patriots.

Yeah that is a popular way for fans of cheating teams to rationalize it. All teams cheat. I disagree. How many teams were caught taping other teams, or deflating balls, or having extra radio feeds in the QBs helmets? NONE. The closest thing that has been discovered to cheating was Bountygate. The Steelers were using Steroids back in the 70s before most teams were in on them, but that was 40+ years ago.

Your buddy is wrong. Every team doesn't cheat. Does he think the Jaguars were cheating last season? If so, how did it help them? Ask him how the Rams cheated last season. He wont have a clue because they don't. Sure some teams cheat, like the Niners paying cash to lure free agents after they were over the cap. Scum like Jerry Rice used stickum.

I am sure there are teams that cheat in some ways, but not every team cheats. Now more than ever there are millions of eyes on the NFL, for each and every game. Cheating would be tougher than ever. Then you Mangini calling out Belichick. If everyone cheats then that means the Jets were cheating back then too. Why didn't Belichick tell the commissioner on the Jets?

That is like the SEC fans claiming that every college has boosters paying recruits to go to their school. If that was the case then why do certain schools recruit so much better than others? Is LSU paying more money than Northwestern? How much money is Iowa State doling out for all of their ultra talented 2 and 3 star recruits? Saying that stuff with no proof or even circumstantial evidence is just speculation and even more so rationalization for their schools doing it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It didn't occur to Payton that the Cheatriots bugged the hallway? Dumb dumb dumb.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why would anyone be suspicious of the Patriots?

chandler.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...bugs-in-locker-room-when-at-gillette-stadium/

Report: Colts sweep for bugs in locker room when at Gillette Stadium
Posted by Josh Alper on August 21, 2015

Earlier this week, former Colts coach Tony Dungy said that Peyton Manning would refuse to discuss certain parts of the team’s strategy in the visiting locker room at Gillette Stadium because of fears that the Patriots were eavesdropping on conversations through listening devices.

Manning and Dungy are gone from Indianapolis, but the team reportedly still shares the same concerns about what might be joining them in the locker room. Bob Kravitz of WTHR reports that the Colts still sweep the visiting locker room for bugs whenever they play at Gillette Stadium.

As Kravitz notes, chances are that the Colts have never found anything as there’s never been any talk about finding a device or related investigation into something from a league that’s spent months and millions trying to punish the Patriots quarterback for allegedy being “generally aware” of a plot to under-inflate footballs.

In the video below, you can hear former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison’s response to Dungy’s story from earlier in the week. Harrison says the team had no inside information when it came to playing the Colts and points out that other teams have had success stopping Manning at home and on the road in the postseason.

If the Colts actually are spending time trying to see if their locker room is bugged, though, there would be some benefit to the Patriots because it is time spent thinking about something other than the game at hand. The results of the last few meetings between the Pats and Colts suggest that’s not the best course of action for the 2014 AFC Finalists to be taking.