Peyton Manning exposes the ‘biggest myth’ in football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Peyton Manning exposes the ‘biggest myth’ in football​

Many people feel that one of the marks of a great head coach is the ability to make in-game adjustments. According to Peyton Manning, anyone who tries to tell you those adjustments ever come at halftime of an NFL game is lying.

During the “ManningCast” broadcast of Monday night’s wild-card game between the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Peyton Manning made a sarcastic remark about the Bucs going three-and-out to start the second half. The Hall of Fame quarterback quipped that “all those halftime adjustments” didn’t really pay off. He then called the idea of halftime adjustments “the biggest myth in football.”

View: https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1615181950289080321?s=61&t=BZ8VwyvLVvdJhp9xQL7qyQ

“I don’t know about you, I don’t think I ever made a halftime adjustment in my entire 18-year career,” Manning said. “I think that’s the biggest myth in football — the halftime adjustments, right? You go in, you use the restroom, you eat a couple of oranges and then the head coach says, ‘Alright, let’s go.'”

Eli Manning agreed with his brother and said it feels like players are in the locker room for a total of three minutes, so there is no time to make real adjustments related to the game plan.

The Manning brothers were probably exaggerating a bit. There have definitely been times where a coach sees something during the first half that leads to a slightly different approach in the second half, but the point Peyton was making is that talk of halftime adjustments is overblown.

If there were some magical cure for your game plan at the half, the Bucs would not have come out looking just as bad in the third quarter of their 31-14 loss to Dallas as they did in the first two.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Maybe it's just the coaches who make the play calling adjustments or formations?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Fans really do overthink and overanalyze more than the actual teams lol

fearsomefour

Legend
Why wait till halftime? Sometimes they have more time in between possessions, than they have at the half.
Especially now.
They get pictures and video feed back basically immediately.
They all have eyes in the box upstairs telling them what's going on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaches make halftime adjustments
Along with between plays, during plays, after quarters, before quarters, 2 minute warning, bathroom breaks etc....

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaches adjust gameplan. Players adjust equipment.
Fans get more beer.
At the Coliseum, you waited in line to use the restroom and got back to your seat just in time for the first play of 3rd quarter.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At the Coliseum, you waited in line to use the restroom and got back to your seat just in time for the first play of 3rd quarter.
That’s brutal.

I remember going to games at Sun Devil stadium in the 80’s before all of the renovations where the experience was kind of like that.
Wait in line to get in, Sit on hot metal bleachers in 100 degrees, wait in line to piss in a horse trough, wait in line for more beer, watch the home team get a beatdown and slowly file out like cattle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That’s brutal.

I remember going to games at Sun Devil stadium in the 80’s before all of the renovations where the experience was kind of like that.
Wait in line to get in, Sit on hot metal bleachers in 100 degrees, wait in line to piss in a horse trough, wait in line for more beer, watch the home team get a beatdown and slowly file out like cattle.
Horse trough? At the Coliseum you peed in a big round tub while trying not to stare straight across at the other guys pointing their junk right at you. If you were ever going to get stage fright, that place was it. WTF were they thinking?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Horse trough? At the Coliseum you peed in a big round tub while trying not to stare straight across at the other guys pointing their junk right at you. If you were ever going to get stage fright, that place was it. WTF were they thinking?
Lol… you just gave me a reminisce whiplash… those round tubs… wow…

Ellard80

Legend
I'd say that adjustments happen over the course of the game not just at halftime.

So there is some element of truth to what he is saying - "halftime adjustments" is an overused and oversimplified statment.

The entire game is an adjustment that goes back and forth between the teams.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
It's just that there is more time to analyze things during halftime.
Greater propensity for effective change.

Ellard80

Legend
It's just that there is more time to analyze things during halftime.
Greater propensity for effective change.
Not really by the time the teams get in there - once the coaches give their talks... were talking like 5-8 minutes?

The time when the other side of the ball is in operation in the game is about 15X greater.

I think this is part of peytons point....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Coaches can adjust the X's and O's all they want. But they still need the Jim's and Joe's to execute it.

oldnotdead

Legend
Both Mannings are buttholes. I've seen John Pagano's defenses for years come out in the second half of games and completely shut down offenses That was his role with Wade Phillips who had him in the booth charting the offense and game planning the second half. This is why when Phillips became HC in Houston he tried to take Pagano with him but was denied.

This came out during an interview with JR Seau who talked about the differences between the 3-4 hybrid vs a standard 3-4 and 4-3 scheme. The hybrid scheme (the scheme the current Rams were built to run) gives the DC the extra flexibility to make those adjustments. The same can be said about offenses. The Mannings either don't know or they are lying.

Hell, even good college teams do the same thing. How many times have you seen teams get stoned in the first half and then explode in the second, either offensively or on defense? This is the difference a good coaching staff makes. This is also why teams have migrated to the 3-4 hybrid, i.e. sometimes called 4i scheme. It's why I keep saying that Morris isn't using his personnel properly. Morris is strictly a 4-3 scheme guy and plays this roster that way. It's why he took a #1 ranked defense and tanked it in two years to an 18th ranked unit.