Pettis, it's blatantly obvious...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:
I was talking about Quick. I think Pettis can be used for the red zone and maybe some 3rd down situations and that's about it. Quick is beyond frustrating to me. He was a very high pick and he's flirting with bust status in my book. Snead and Fisher love to compare him to Vincent Jackson but Jackson had better numbers and was taken much later in the draft. If he isn't playing in the first game, the clock will start on Quick in my book. He should be playing by now. At the very least he should have a set of plays that he can run. I'm holding off till the first game to see what happens but after that, if he isn't contributing, I'm writing him off as a bad pick. There's no excuse to take a player, that takes this long to develop and not even be able to contribute, that high in the draft.

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

Vincent Jackson: 3 catches, 59 yds, 0 tds
Brian Quick: 11 catches, 156 yds, 2 tds

Or are you talking about combine numbers or some other numbers?

I understand getting worried about Quick compared to other top draft picks... but NO WAY am I going to paint this rough talent with the same brush as other WR's coming out of college.

We heard it from day 1; He's a project. Well... its his 2nd preseason. That ain't shyte.

Though not taken at the top of the round, he was also a 2nd round pick who only started 7 games during his second season.

He played 16 games in his second season with 453 yards and 6 TDs. I'll be surprised if Quick plays in 16 games this year. I have my doubts about the last two numbers as well.

Memphis Ram

Legend
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:
I was talking about Quick. I think Pettis can be used for the red zone and maybe some 3rd down situations and that's about it. Quick is beyond frustrating to me. He was a very high pick and he's flirting with bust status in my book. Snead and Fisher love to compare him to Vincent Jackson but Jackson had better numbers and was taken much later in the draft. If he isn't playing in the first game, the clock will start on Quick in my book. He should be playing by now. At the very least he should have a set of plays that he can run. I'm holding off till the first game to see what happens but after that, if he isn't contributing, I'm writing him off as a bad pick. There's no excuse to take a player, that takes this long to develop and not even be able to contribute, that high in the draft.

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

I understand getting worried about Quick compared to other top draft picks... but NO WAY am I going to paint this rough talent with the same brush as other WR's coming out of college.

We heard it from day 1; He's a project. Well... its his 2nd preseason. That ain't shyte.

Though not taken at the top of the round, he was also a 2nd round pick who only started 7 games during his second season.

He played 16 games in his second season with 453 yards and 6 TDs. I'll be surprised if Quick plays in 16 games this year. I have my doubts about the last two numbers as well.

Barring injury, I'll be surprised if Quick doesn't play in 16 games. I think you are jumping the gun on this one. Again Jackson only started 7 games his second season.

BTW, I also noticed Jackson was the 11th WR drafted that year and with the possible exception Roddy White (debatable) he has outplayed them all in time. But, not initially. Same could happen for Quick.

V3

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

Barring injury, I'll be surprised if Quick doesn't play in 16 games. I think you are jumping the gun on this one. Again Jackson only started 7 games his second season.

BTW, I also noticed Jackson was the 11th WR drafted that year and with the possible exception Roddy White (debatable) he has outplayed them all in time. But, not initially. Same could happen for Quick.

We'll see. I want him to succeed. Seems like a good kid. I just have my doubts. Compile that with the horrid pick of Pead and it adds to the frustration.

lockdnram21

Legend
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

We'll see. I want him to succeed. Seems like a good kid. I just have my doubts. Compile that with the horrid pick of Pead and it adds to the frustration.

Dont worry by mid season is going to be a monster like dez bryant

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
lockdnram21 said:
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

Dont worry by mid season is going to be a monster like dez bryant
I keep seeing this said yet i have no clue how this statement can be backed up. It a hope and a dream. I hope he will accomplish this but there is nothing pointing to this direction. Its a wait and see at best..

fearsomefour

Legend
Pettis gets on the field because he knows the offense and is where he is supposed to be. Of course, none of that matters much if you cant get open. He did well previously in short route, quick read kind of situation and that is how he should be used. If Quicks problem is between the ears, either being able to execute the plays in games or the coaches having faith he can read things like blitzes that is a tough one. I would think they would put in some plays for him....give him a couple of plays a game that are designed for him, very simple, no reading, but can give him the ball and give him a chance to use his physical talent.
Quick could turn into a bubble screen/fade by the endzone kind of guy. My hope is that he can still blossom. To get to the point of writting him off this early is premature. Our WRs are young, typlified by Givens getting hit in the back by Bradford when he didnt read the blitz coming from his side. This stuff will happen. I am not so worried about who is the "starter"....but I would expect to see some plays that feature Quick. Too high of a pick and too much raw talent to try and not get some plays out of him. Some success will give him confidence and build to more success.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not concerned about Quick at all. He's using his size in the games and getting open on a lot of plays (i.e., the play where Harkey got hurt, Quick was open on his route; the quarterback scrambled out of the pocket and chose to check down to Harkey instead).

Pettis, on the other hand...wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Quick and Bailey take his place, but since he is the most experienced wideout, he gets the call...for now.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Memento said:
I'm not concerned about Quick at all. He's using his size in the games and getting open on a lot of plays (i.e., the play where Harkey got hurt, Quick was open on his route; the quarterback scrambled out of the pocket and chose to check down to Harkey instead).

Pettis, on the other hand...wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Quick and Bailey take his place, but since he is the most experienced wideout, he gets the call...for now.
That's exactly what I think it is.

Quick is doing good things and improving on his game, so it's only a matter of time before they start using him.

And I'm really not worried about Pead either, at least not at this point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The thing with Quick... he is still getting better and we see it.

If he plateau's before making significant and regular contribution then the scrutiny is valid.

As long as he keeps advancing; he deserves our patience.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

I'd be willing to make a small wager that he'll play the games and put up comparable numbers. Nothing monetary, as I'm a poor man, but maybe something like...if he does it, I'll send you a butt-ass ugly North Dakota sweatshirt and you take a picture, wearing it, holding a sign that says I <3 BQ83 and make that shit your sig on the site.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Whoa there!

Rookie numbers:

I'd be willing to make a small wager that he'll play the games and put up comparable numbers. Nothing monetary, as I'm a poor man, but maybe something like...if he does it, I'll send you a butt-ass ugly North Dakota sweatshirt and you take a picture, wearing it, holding a sign that says I <3 BQ83 and make that shit your sig on the site.
lawl.

That's a good one.