Peter King on Brandin Cooks trade chatter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Peter King had this bit in his MMQB column:

“Free me,” Brandin Cooks tweeted Friday night, amid reports the cap-strapped Rams were trying to trade him.

If he is dealt, it will continue the odd career of a very good player. Cooks was drafted 20th overall by the Saints in 2014.

In 2016, at 23, catching passes from Drew Brees, Cooks was the Saints’ deep threat, averaging 15.0 yards a catch with eight touchdowns.

In 2017, he was traded to the Patriots for the 32nd pick in the first round. At 24, he caught passes from Tom Brady, and his 16.6-yard average gave Brady is best and most consistent deep threat in years.

In 2018, he was traded to the Rams for the 23rd pick in the first round. At 25, he caught passes from Jared Goff, and his 1,204 yards was the most in his career. He was the key receiver on a Super Bowl team.

In 2020, Cooks is on the block. He’s had concussion issues, and his production dipped to 3.0 catches per game last year, by far a career-low. But I think he’s a pretty good risk. An acquiring team would owe him $20 million the next two years, and then could cut him without a hurtful cap hit. For about 4 percent and then 5.5 percent of the salary cap over the next two seasons, Cooks could be the missing link to a contending team.

My best landing spots for Cooks:

1 Philadelphia, for the 53rd pick in the draft.
2 Green Bay, for the 62nd pick in the draft.
3 Oakland, for the 80th and 121st picks in the draft. (Raiders don’t have a second-rounder.)
4 Washington, for the 66th pick in the draft.

Imagine, in the span of four years:

Playing for Asshole Face, Bill Belichick, Sean McVay and perhaps Doug Pederson, all of whom coached in at least one Super Bowl.

Being targeted by Brees, Brady, Goff and perhaps Carson Wentz.

Playing in two straight Super Bowls.

Being traded three times, twice for first-round picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GS-4-nothing-to-see-here-folks-move-along-300x168.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cooks drop in receptions was more due to poor OL play than him being able to get open. Goff rarely had time to let long pass plays develop and Cooks get involved in the offense like previous year.

Fix the OL and Cooks can be effective again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How do we know his tweet was in relation to quarantine? I don't profess to know his intent btw so curious how we know this.

There was also a ton of denial leading up to the Gurley move even with Silver forecasting it way ahead. I don't think moving Cooks makes sense but the Rams might be looking to move him if he was a distraction which is impossible to know given how tight they keep a lid on shit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do we know his tweet was in relation to quarantine? I don't profess to know his intent btw so curious how we know this.

There was also a ton of denial leading up to the Gurley move even with Silver forecasting it way ahead. I don't think moving Cooks makes sense but the Rams might be looking to move him if he was a distraction which is impossible to know given how tight they keep a lid on shit.
Because he posted this righ after

View: https://twitter.com/brandincooks/status/1243675234177187842

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME

Not that this makes it official he was talking about quarantine or anything, but for what it’s worth...

View: https://twitter.com/cooperkupp/status/1243671374280843264?s=21

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a crazy time. Imagine where we'd be if the NFL had suspended operations as well. Even if they had pushed back the draft damn that would have sucked.

Fortunately these rich old dickheads understand their 2020 Draft is going to have a ton more attention than usual. Even in stripped down form it's going to be a huge event this year just a shame people won't be able to enjoy it in Vegas. I was gonna "visit the kid" and be there just in time for round 2 but oh well will make the trip this Fall most likely. Just gotta keep the wife from flying the kid out here to see us prior, that's gonna be the challenge. :LOL:

Ram65

Legend
They mentioned the article this morning on WIP Philly sports talk this morning. They nixed a 2nd round pick for a 5th or maybe a 4th. They didn't mention the Cooks' tweet.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What a fucking idiot... As said, it was in relation to quarantine and that was known like right away, I can't imagine he didn't know what he was doing with this bullshit. Additionally J.B. Long said that the Rams were getting calls about Brandin Cooks, not making them.

Psycho_X

Legend
Love how when Cooks tweeted that we all found the evidence that he was talking about quarantine within like ten minutes of his tweet but Peter “hack” King couldn’t be an actual fucking journalist and research a little?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We paid Cooks a roster bonus around the time we released Gurley. Because of that, if we trade him, we LOSE $5 million in cap space. Unless a team is offering us one hell of a deal, we're not going to trade him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love how when Cooks tweeted that we all found the evidence that he was talking about quarantine within like ten minutes of his tweet but Peter “hack” King couldn’t be an actual fucking journalist and research a little?

Gotta have something to write about.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He posted a follow-up tweet that indicated this and Cooper Kupp also clarified that his comments were quarantine related. This was definitely lazy reporting by King.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I used to enjoy King's stuff, but the last few years he seems to have regressed to being a regurgitated cliche machine...Reading his crap now is, for me, like trying to listen to Jason Witten be a football analyst !!! Don't need either..

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Oh,he knew. Journalism is hard to come by these days. They have all changed their profession. Seems writing Fiction pays better.