Peter King: MMQB - April 28, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Let’s Get Real … and Then Talk About Draft Charades
Want a feel-good story amid all the misinformation swirling around the NFL? Saints owner Tom Benson is opening his wallet—widely—to help Steve Gleason achieve a dream. And, yes, the latest draft buzz, including a big trade at No. 1
By Peter King

Read the entire article at the link.

Highlights:

• Momentum is gaining for the Atlanta Falcons to move up for Jadeveon Clowney. Not saying it’s going to happen; I’d list the odds at 40 percent. But if the Texans want to trade the No. 1 pick, the Falcons, as of this morning, are their best option. When Clowney visited Atlanta last week, he left a very positive impression with the Falcons’ coaches and brass. I’d heard before that meeting that the Falcons weren’t inclined to entertain thoughts about making such a bold move, from sixth pick in the first round to No. 1 overall. Now they are thinking of it. Let’s look not only at the favorable view of Clowney now, but also at general manager Thomas Dimitroff’s history.

• In 2011 he was at No. 27 in the first round and wanted to move up to grab wide receiver Julio Jones. It took first-round picks in 2011 and 2012, a second-round pick in 2011, and fourth-round picks in 2011 and 2012—five picks overall—for Atlanta to go from 27 to six to get Jones. This year? To move from six to one, it would likely take Atlanta’s first-rounder this year and next—at least that would be close if you’re using the draft pick-trade chart. (The first overall pick is worth 3,000 points, the sixth 1,600. For an equal swap, the Texans might ask for more than two first-rounders, figuring there’s no way the Falcons will be drafting in the top 10 next year.) If the Texans would be happy to settle for, say, Blake Bortles or Khalil Mack, this would be a pretty good calculated risk to take, with a guaranteed first-rounder next year as the pot of gold for the risk Houston would be taking.
  • There’s a rumor (apparently faulty) making the rounds about the Eagles moving up to try to get Johnny Manziel. I wouldn’t pass it along if the person who told me wasn’t smart and, to this point, reliable. But I just can’t see it, and I have someone who would know better than the rumor source telling me it absolutely won’t happen. Which seems smart to me, seeing that Nick Foles’ 27 touchdowns and two interceptions and 119.2 passer rating would be pretty damned foolish to throw out the window for Manziel. I just put it out there as an example of the kind of stuff that makes the rounds when so much of what happens at this time of year is designed to be a misdirection play.

• As Bills GM Doug Whaley said Friday, speaking to western New York reporters: “It’s finally one time where we can use you guys [reporters] to our advantage. There are things that you put out there to see if someone bites, and there are some things you put out there that are true. You have people read between the lines and you don’t want to show your hand. I’m sure everyone is doing the same thing.’’
  • If Atlanta can’t get one, they can certainly get to No. 2. St. Louis holds two first-round picks—the second and 13th overall choices—and you should put something close to the mortgage down on the prospect of them trading one or both of them. The regime of GM Les Snead, in the two drafts in which he’s been in charge, has never not traded a first-round pick. In 2012 the Rams entered the draft with the second overall pick. They dealt that pick to Washington, acquiring the sixth and other stuff in return. Then they traded the sixth pick to Dallas for the 14th and other picks.

• In 2013, the Rams entered he draft with the 16th and 22nd picks in the first round. They traded up from 16 to eight to pick Tavon Austin, and traded down from 22 to 30 and picked Alec Ogletree. That means the Rams, under Snead, have traded their three first-round picks a total of four times. Any questions about their intentions with the two first-rounders on May 8?
  • Manziel stuff. Come to find out that one team, at the NFL scouting combine, spent the entire 15-minute individual interview period with Manziel talking only about his personal life and his run-ins with trouble. When the horn blew to signify he had to go to his next speed-date, Manziel asked team officials and coaches in the room, “Any football questions?” There were none …

• This, by the way, from one NFL offensive coordinator whose team will not be choosing a quarterback high in this draft: “If I had the first pick in the draft, I’d take Manziel.” … I absolutely buy Dallas’ interest in Manziel. One: He is Jerry Jones’s kind of guy, and I believe Jones all along has had half an eye on Manziel, particularly if he could get him at a bargain position—say, the middle of the second round. I don’t believe Manziel will make it out of the first round, of course, but Jones could be sorely tempted at No. 16 overall if Manziel were there. Two: Tony Romo turned 34 last Monday, and his back is balky and twice surgically repaired, and Troy Aikman has been sounding the clarion call about the dangers of fooling with a bad back. Three: See number one.
  • The top 10 of one team not in the top 10, though I do not know the order: Two quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles), four tackles (Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin), one defensive tackle (Aaron Donald), two pass-rushers (Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack), one wideout (Sammy Watkins).
  • Want a darkhorse for Carolina at 28—or, if the Panthers are lucky and he falls to 60? Guard-tackle Joel Bitonio of Nevada. Coach Ron Rivera went to Reno to meet him and came away impressed, I’m told.

Khalil Mack is not interested in being number two.

khalil-mack-2.jpg

Khalil Mack is expected to be an early pick on May 8. (Mike Groll/AP)

I spent time on the phone Saturday with the most unknown of the prospective high picks—outside linebacker Khalil Mack, from Buffalo of the Mid-American Conference. You might know some of his story: Started only one year in high school in Fort Pierce, Fla. … Buffalo was the only NCAA Division I school to offer him a scholarship … Liberty University also did, but he went to Buffalo because it was a higher level of football … Put an exclamation point on his first-round status in the 2013 season-opener at Ohio State with nine tackles, 2.5 sacks and an interception (with another sack and forced fumbled called back due to a penalty). “A fantastic football player,” Urban Meyer said after the game.

He doesn’t talk about his triumphs with a cocky tone in his voice. It’s more of a knowledgeable one. “Nothing about that game surprised me,’’ Mack said. “I feel like I have played against better players than at Ohio State. I’ve just always had the opinion that with hard work and dedication, anything can happen. I’m proof of that. I’ve been blessed.”

Mack’s best fit is as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL, though he says he can also play 4-3 end or outside ’backer, and, at 251 pounds, it’s not impossible that he could play inside as well. But his edge-rushing ability would be best employed coming off the edge in the 3-4. That’s what the Texans play. And he’s frothing at the prospect of playing on the same front seven with J.J. Watt. “I met him the other day,’’ said Mack. “It’d be perfect for me. He is one great player.” Mack visited six teams: Jacksonville, St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Atlanta and Minnesota. All are in the top 10. It’s likely he’ll go in the top five on May 8.

He’d like to go in the top one. He’s not handing the crown of best defensive player in the draft to Jadeveon Clowney.

“I’m so competitive,’’ he said, “that I want to be the best, and I mean better than any rusher in the NFL now, or anyone coming in. I want to be better than Aldon Smith, all those guys. I respect Jadeveon, but I really don’t care what he does. I don’t care about the hoopla, the hype or any of that. I just want to go out on the field and compete and win. When I get out on the field, I turn on a switch and believe I can be the best person out there. Coming from Buffalo, I know I had to work hard to get to this point, and I did.”

“Got a gut feel where you’re going in the draft?” I asked.

“Not at all,” Mack said. “Wish I knew.”

He won’t have a long wait in the green room 10 nights from now. Maybe an hour, maybe less. I’ll be surprised if he gets past the sixth pick, now held (but for who knows how long) by Atlanta.

I think one of the smartest things I read last week came from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, about the importance of continuity with the offensive system and how lack of continuity contributes to the failure of so many quarterbacks. McClain talked to David Carr, the first pick of the Texans 12 years ago, and summed up his Houston football life thusly: “In his five seasons, Carr had two head coaches, three offensive coordinators, three different schemes, three quarterback coaches and four offensive line coaches. ‘You can have a talented offensive line that gives up a lot of sacks, and that’s the fault of the system,’ Carr said. ‘I think you can have talented coordinators that have bad offensive lines, and that’s a fault of that bad offensive line. You have to have a combination of those two things.’”

Alan

Legend

• "The top 10 of one team not in the top 10, though I do not know the order:
    Two quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles), four tackles (Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin), one defensive tackle (Aaron Donald), two pass-rushers (Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack), one wideout (Sammy Watkins)."
If true, so much for those that advocate picking someone like Watkins and drafting Martin at #13.

I understand why people think drafting the Clowneys, Macks, Watkins et al is attractive but it's not hard to see that so many of the real experts (not talking about King here) think that OT and QB are the two most important positions to better your team.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

• "The top 10 of one team not in the top 10, though I do not know the order:
    Two quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles), four tackles (Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin), one defensive tackle (Aaron Donald), two pass-rushers (Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack), one wideout (Sammy Watkins)."
If true, so much for those that advocate picking someone like Watkins and drafting Martin at #13.

I understand why people think drafting the Clowneys, Macks, Watkins et al is attractive but it's not hard to see that so many of the real experts (not talking about King here) think that OT and QB are the two most important positions to better your team.
So, Trade back from #2 and Trade up from #13 and we get two of the top 10 (not including QB's). That works for me. Now, make is so Snisher.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That's a legitimate opinion.

The thing is though... we just signed a LT last year, and he's expected to be back in Week 1 from everything the Rams are saying. So that's why people are suggesting we go elsewhere. If we didn't have Long, I think a lot more people would be onboard with Robinson/Matthews. Since we do, that's why there are some who'd like Watkins, then use lower picks to fill our hole at guard and whatever depth we need, and then get another LT when we actually need one.

Now, I know some like to use the "But look at the injury history!" argument, but if you're assuming people are going to get injured, you could justify picking ALL offensive linemen (or all QBs). I'd rather have a guy playing his intended position from Day 1.

Your argument here though does have some touches of Appeal to Authority and No True Scotsman in it.

Alan

Legend
Stranger with one path:
So, Trade back from #2 and Trade up from #13 and we get two of the top 10 (not including QB's). That works for me. Now, make is so Snisher.
Or trade back from #2 and #13 and maybe pick up 4 starting quality players to fill 4 holes with two picks. Now, make it so Snisher! :)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Or trade back from #2 and #13 and maybe pick up 4 starting quality players to fill 4 holes with two picks. Now, make it so Snisher! :)
I actually wouldn't mind that at all if they're not in love with any of the players in the top 10.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Or stick and pick at 1.2 and 1.13. And have them both be HOFers.

I don't care what Snead does, he can move up and down or down and up or sideways, just pick 2 great players.

Alan

Legend
max with a third plan:
Or stick and pick at 1.2 and 1.13. And have them both be HOFers.

I don't care what Snead does, he can move up and down or down and up or sideways, just pick 2 great players.
Yep! As long as we don't miss with our picks we're gonna be much improved. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mack sure talks like a real Pros pro. I kept thinking of Ike and Torry reading his comments.

I really want Matthews to be the Rams pick but even Moreso, now, I would be perfectly happy with Mack.

Damn I wish I could see the Rams draft board! Anyone have an espionage background on this forum?