Peter King: MMQB - 4/9/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. To read the whole article click the link below. McVay, Snead, Phillips, and Cooks get mentioned so there's that.
************************************************************************************
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/09/nfl-draft-prospects-gil-brandt-dallas-mmqb-peter-king

Everything to Know About the 2018 NFL Draft Crop, According to Gil Brandt
The 411 on what to expect in Dallas in a little more than two weeks from the man who would know best.
By Peter King

mmqb-draft-fourway.jpg

Stream of pre-draft consciousness, 17 days before the first round kicks off before 75,000 fans in Jerryworld:

IT’S GIL BRANDT’S WORLD, AND WE’RE ALL LIVING IN IT
Sixty years ago, Brandt, then 25 and a baby photographer, was hired as a full-time scout for the San Francisco 49ers. Two years later he moved to the expansion Dallas Cowboys as their chief scout. He’s lived in Dallas ever since, and this will be the first time in his life that the draft is a home game for him.

Now he’s the NFL draft shepherd, going to almost every pro day, keeping tabs on the prospects, wooing the top ones to come to the first round, working for the league and helping organize the football side of the draft. We caught up late Saturday, and I tried to denude Brandt of everything he knows about the 2018 crop.

On what makes this draft different: “This is going to be the most talked-about draft in history. And not just because quarterbacks could go one through four, or four of the top five picks. But this will be an incredible extravaganza. For years to come, people will compare every draft to Dallas. The saying Everything’s bigger in Texas will definitely apply.

We’ll have sections all over the stadium for all 32 teams, and it’ll be like a competition between all the teams and their fans. Twelve big-time college coaches will be there—Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Chris Petersen, others. Day two’s going to have the same excitement.”

On the walkup to the draft: “There’s been more activity than I ever remember at all these pro days. More coaches, more assistant coaches. South Dakota State had their pro day last week, and there were six NFL tight-end coaches there to see their guy [Dallas Goedert]. But he didn’t run the 40. Hasn’t run it yet. He could go anywhere from low first to the third, but it’s hard to know because teams don’t know his speed.”

Quality of the draft: “This is a draft where 13 to 17 guys I could point to and say for sure, This guy’s a first-round pick. After that, there’s a lot of starting-type players who could go anywhere. Let me put it to you this way: My guy who I have 21st overall on my list could go 64th. The guy I rank 47th could go 19th. So the Patriots, with their needs and their two first-round picks, should be able to get a tackle to replace Nate Solder.

They need the tackle from UCLA, Kolton Miller. He’s Nate Solder, is what he is … 6'8", 310 pounds, unbelievable 10-yard speed, which is what you need for a tackle. Needs development. But [offensive line coach] Dante Scarnecchia can develop a guy like that as well as anyone.”

His order of the quarterbacks: “Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson.”

Top of the draft: “Here’s what it looks like: The running back from Penn State [Saquon Barkley] has all the characteristics needed to be an All-Pro player and could go anywhere in there. Nothing would surprise me. Let’s go to the quarterbacks. Josh Allen has everything you need to be a franchise QB, but he lacks accuracy, and you can’t complete 56 percent in the NFL. Now Sam Darnold, he’s got great mechanics and the right attitude and approach to be great. But he throws interceptions.

This is where you have to grade him—was the interception his fault? Josh Rosen started as a true freshman at UCLA. Never happened before. Started 5-0 or something like that as an 18-year-old. [Actually 4-0, and he won seven of his first nine starts]. You want to be the surest that you won’t be laughed at five years down the line with one of these quarterbacks? Pick Rosen. He’s a player.

Lamar Jackson, immense talent, immense upside. Baker Mayfield is a guy like Drew Brees. He’s got velocity, good accuracy. We all undervalued Drew. But what you don’t know about anyone is which quarterbacks are gonna work like Drew Brees. Drew’s gonna work his ass off.

His agent could get a call during the season from a car company saying, ‘We got a $200,000 commercial for you to tape on Tuesday.’ And Drew would say, ‘No, I’m not gonna do that on Tuesday. That’s my day to work on the next opponent.’ Your job if you’re going to draft one of these guys is to figure out who’s like Drew Brees.”

Josh Rosen and the questions surrounding his desire: “I have zero questions about Josh Rosen. I have no problems with him at all.”

Biggest surprise in the top 10: “[Notre Dame] tackle Mike McGlinchey. He’ll go in the top 10.”

Player who will go higher than everyone thinks: “Will Hernandez, guard, UTEP. Reminds me of Mike Iupati—both drafted higher than anyone thought.”

Draft invitee who fascinates Brandt: “Leighton Vander Esch, the Boise State linebacker. He’ll be the first man ever invited to the draft who played eight-man football in high school. He’s from Salmon River High School in Riggins, Idaho. A true rising star.”

The Super Bowl champions’ plans: “I don’t know what [the Eagles] are going to do, but I have been amazed at their presence everywhere at these pro days. I told [general manager] Howie Roseman, ‘You must have an unlimited scouting budget—and I think you’ve exceeded it.’ They’ve had coaches and scouts everywhere. They don’t act like they just won the Super Bowl. They act like they’re dying just to make the playoffs.”

Happiest draft invitee: “We’ve got 22 guys coming in, and maybe the happiest is a guy who won’t be picked in the first round: Shaquem Griffin [the UCF linebacker who lost his left hand because of a birth defect at age 4]. When I called his mother to invite them, she started crying because of how much this means to the family.”
------------------------------------
SPORTS QUIZ
On Saturday, the fledgling league The Alliance of American Football announced the first of eight franchise cities, Orlando. The league said 72-year-old Steve Spurrier would coach the team.

This will be the first pro football coaching job by Spurrier since 2003. Spurrier’s embarrassing 12-20 two-year run in Washington ended on Dec. 27, 2003, with a 31-7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Here’s the quiz:

Who was Spurrier’s starting quarterback in the last game he coached in the NFL?

Here’s the bonus quiz:

Who was the replay official in the press box for the last game Spurrier coached in the NFL?

Answers in number 8 of Things I Think.
----------------------------------------------
“The defensive coordinator has more swag than all of ’em, so we’ll be in good shape.”

—Rams coach Sean McVay, on the big stars the Rams have added to the defense (Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Ndamukong Suh), and how he thinks 71-year-old Wade Phillips will coach them up.
------------------------------------------------

STATS OF THE WEEK
I

The Denver Broncos lucked into a top-five punter for very good value last week, signing Jon Gruden-reject Marquette King for three years and $7 million, making him approximately the 12th-highest-paid punter (in average cap value) in the NFL. Not bad for King, who finished second in the league in punting average in 2016 and third in 2017, and who is 29 years old.

When the Broncos signed King on Thursday, he was positively giddy about getting to punt in altitude for half his games over the next three years. “Denver’s a punter’s paradise,” King said. “The ball definitely travels a lot further. I’ve always enjoyed punting out here in the altitude just because the ball travels further.”

The evidence in his five seasons is significant, if limited. King’s numbers in Colorado versus all other places:

The Broncos are going to have to work with King specifically on placement on inside-the-20 kicks—kicking as he did for Oakland could result in too many into the end zone.

II

Rams receiver Brandin Cooks, 24, is a mere 16 months older than the top receiver prospect in the draft, Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, 23. Ridley will turn 24 in his rookie season. Cooks leads Ridley in NFL games played, 61-0.
-------------------------------------
POD PEOPLE

This week’s conversation: Rams GM Les Snead.

Snead on his willingness to trade more than his predecessors, and on the willingness of a cadre of young GMs to do the same: “You know, that’s an interesting question, and to start with, I don't think you can ever be reckless because—let's go way back to 2012. You know we traded the No. 2 pick overall to the Redskins that ended up being known as the RG3 [Robert Griffin III] deal, but the whole purpose of that was to acquire as many draft picks as possible.

We got to build a young core because at that point it’s nearly, let’s call it 26 players of the 53 who finished on that 2011 Rams team never played in the NFL again, so you knew we had we had to replenish this with a good core, and over the years you draft it, but last year we tipped into let's call it being a ‘legit contender.’ So at that point, you’re well aware, wait a minute, we want to sustain this, we want to keep contending.

And, I’ll always say this, I got a simple rule: You can't be scared in this league. Look at Doug Pederson this year and, it wasn't reckless but it took courage and guess what? They won a Super Bowl on some of those fourth-down plays. So you try to do that as a general manager, but I also think, and this is long-winded answer, some of the analytics that you have now to really look at what historically draft picks bring you in reality over time …”

Me: “You’ve basically looked at draft choices as tools in the toolbox. That's how I kind of look at your thing: You’re not wedded to your draft picks.”

Snead: “Right. You should be my interpreter.”
---------------------------------------

View: https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/982314890038620161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F04%2F09%2Fnfl-draft-prospects-gil-brandt-dallas-mmqb-peter-king
------------------------------------------
THINGS I THINK I THINK

1. I think Baltimore signing Robert Griffin III doesn’t mean anything about the Ravens’ draft-weekend intentions. If there’s a quarterback there at 16 (Lamar Jackson?) whom the Ravens love, they’ll take him. As they should. Since Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl with Baltimore, there have been five seasons played in the NFL. In those five seasons combined, 31 quarterbacks have started at least 40 games. Flacco is 30th in passer rating in those five seasons, at 82.1.

2. I think if, in “Paterno,” HBO intended to show Joe Paterno as an altogether doddering old man who had no business coaching Penn State in his last few years, HBO succeeded. I have no dog in this fight, and there is no question whatsoever that Paterno was allowed to coach that team far too long. But was it really that bad? Was he really that bad? Check out Conor Orr’s commentary on “Paterno.”

3. I think one of the best free-agent signings of the second wave of the free market is New England procuring wide receiver Jordan Matthews after his lost and injured season with Buffalo in 2017. New England signed him for one year and about $4 million.

Mike Reiss reported in his Sunday column that Matthews wanted to play with Tom Brady and, presumably, could have signed for more years and money elsewhere. Love this for the Patriots because Matthews will play this year at 26, is now healthy, and in his three NFL seasons before 2017 with Philadelphia, averaged 75 catches and 891 yards. He’s the kind of big target (6'3") the Patriots and Brady needed.

4. I think I don't understand why uniform numbers can’t be simple. Just like I never understood why the Bucs made the numbers on their new uniforms unintelligible, I don’t get Tennessee’s new digits either. Why can’t a 2 look like a 2, and not a Z? Why make numbers make you do a triple-take?

5. I think, while I’m on my 60-year-old-man riff, what’s up with “uniform launch parties” or “uniform unveilings?” I see the Jaguars are having one April 19, on the heels of the Titans drawing 20,000 for theirs last week. I don’t get the unveiling of uniforms being a news event.

How did we get to this point? You know, it’s okay to not have everything be a big event. It’s okay for teams to say, “We’ve got nothing going on this week. Go cover something else.” And it’s okay for media to say, “We’ll run a photo of your next uniform on our site. That’s enough.” And be done with it.

6. I think now I’ll stop screaming for you to get off my lawn.

7. I think this Johnny Manziel admission to Dan Patrick just really rubbed me the wrong way: “Guys are good in the NFL because they know film, they study hard, and they work even harder in the offseason. I didn’t know that. I feel like if Cleveland did any of their homework, they would have know that I’m a guy that didn’t come in every day and watch film …

When I get to Cleveland, I have a quarterback in the room [Brian Hoyer] that’s not helping me. And it’s not really his job to, but nobody was there, helping me. And it was hard. I struggled … There was a lot of winging it, and not a lot of, you know, knowing what I was doing.”

One: It’s not the starting quarterback’s job to help the backup take the job from him. It would be nice if the starter did that, but in my experience, many more starting quarterbacks over time have been okay but not super-helpful to the first-round pick who’s there to put the starter out of business. Two: “Nobody was there, helping me.”

What? Dowell Loggains, quarterback coach, and Kyle Shanahan, offense coordinator … They didn’t help? They weren’t there to help? Their office doors were closed? That is, to be charitable, a disingenuous claim by Manziel. To be uncharitable, it is downright lame.

8. I think the answers to the Steve Spurrier quizzes surprised me.

The starting quarterback for Washington in the 2003 season finale—and one of six quarterbacks to throw passes for Spurrier in his two NFL seasons—was Tim Hasselbeck.

The replay official in FedEx Field for Spurrier’s last game? Dean Blandino.

9. I think I can’t say this enough: If San Francisco safety Eric Reid does not get signed, it sends a chilling message about free speech to every NFL player who would think about protesting anything. Colin Kaepernick being unsigned is reprehensible enough.

But if Reid, Kaepernick’s protest partner with the Niners in 2016, is not signed to a representative safety contract this spring, every player will know the league’s mantra: Get in line, or this will happen to you when your contract expires—no matter how good you are.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We got to build a young core because at that point it’s nearly, let’s call it 26 players of the 53 who finished on that 2011 Rams team never played in the NFL again, so you knew we had we had to replenish this with a good core

Wow. That's a pretty major indictment of the Spagvaney regime ...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His order of the quarterbacks: “Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson.”

While I don't agree with Darnold being behind Rosen, it's great to see Rosen get some love. The hits on his love of football, quirky personality, etc were way over the top IMO. I'm a USC fan and if I'm a GM my guy at 1 overall is Darnold, but it's extremely close. Rosen might well end up being the best QB from this class and if I need a QB he's very high on that list.

IMO too many teams get all enamored over arm strength and not enamored enough with accuracy. So Allen at four in this QB group is much more inline with how I see them than all the mocks and lists that had him at two. His accuracy and decision making speed concerns me and how far he can throw the ball doesn't override those concerns. Good prospect and I know he'll go high and all, but I would be extremely wary of taking him high.

What's really going to be interesting to see is where Falk goes. I love his tape and if I'm a GM who didn't get a QB in round one I would be crappin myself hoping he makes it to my pick in round two. I'd take him over Allen straight up, given what I have seen on film of the two.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
While I don't agree with Darnold being behind Rosen, it's great to see Rosen get some love. The hits on his love of football, quirky personality, etc were way over the top IMO. I'm a USC fan and if I'm a GM my guy at 1 overall is Darnold, but it's extremely close. Rosen might well end up being the best QB from this class and if I need a QB he's very high on that list.

IMO too many teams get all enamored over arm strength and not enamored enough with accuracy. So Allen at four in this QB group is much more inline with how I see them than all the mocks and lists that had him at two. His accuracy and decision making speed concerns me and how far he can throw the ball doesn't override those concerns. Good prospect and I know he'll go high and all, but I would be extremely wary of taking him high.

What's really going to be interesting to see is where Falk goes. I love his tape and if I'm a GM who didn't get a QB in round one I would be crappin myself hoping he makes it to my pick in round two. I'd take him over Allen straight up, given what I have seen on film of the two.

IMO Allen is the perfect bust pick. Doesn’t stand out on film, except for arm strength, wasn’t successful in college, didn’t have a good completion percentage. He seems to be the perfects browns pick for a QB lol.

I would even take Lamar Jackson over him, I don’t think Allen deserves to be anywhere near the top of the first, I remember Lamarcus Russell could throw the ball 70 yards on his knees...didn’t get him very far, I would stay far far away from Allen, I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but there’s always a few prospects who rise like this every year, and they fade just as fast...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3. I think one of the best free-agent signings of the second wave of the free market is New England procuring wide receiver Jordan Matthews after his lost and injured season with Buffalo in 2017. New England signed him for one year and about $4 million.
Shocking

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
----------------------------------------------
“The defensive coordinator has more swag than all of ’em, so we’ll be in good shape.”

—Rams coach Sean McVay, on the big stars the Rams have added to the defense (Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Ndamukong Suh), and how he thinks 71-year-old Wade Phillips will coach them up.
------------------------------------------------
The most important Quote in the Article!!!!!(y)(y):yess:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-matthews-got-170k-guaranteed-from-patriots/

Jordan Matthews got $170K guaranteed from Patriots
Posted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2018

gettyimages-856324040-e1523288798306.jpg

Getty Images

Wide receiver Jordan Matthews will be trying to show he can stay healthy and produce on the field during the 2018 season and the contract he signed with the Patriots reflects that position.

Matthews signed a one-year deal with the Patriots last week and Albert Breer of SI.com reports that the deal is worth $1 million with another $700,000 available in incentives. Of that money, just $170,000 is guaranteed to Matthews.

That money suggests Matthews is anything but a sure thing to make the roster this year. Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Britt and special teams ace Matthew Slater return from last season while Cordarrelle Patterson has also joined the team this offseason.

If Matthews does make the team and is healthy, playing with Tom Brady in New England should offer Matthews a good chance to position himself for a bigger deal next offseason.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
POD PEOPLE

This week’s conversation: Rams GM Les Snead.

Snead on his willingness to trade more than his predecessors, and on the willingness of a cadre of young GMs to do the same: “You know, that’s an interesting question, and to start with, I don't think you can ever be reckless because—let's go way back to 2012. You know we traded the No. 2 pick overall to the Redskins that ended up being known as the RG3 [Robert Griffin III] deal, but the whole purpose of that was to acquire as many draft picks as possible.

We got to build a young core because at that point it’s nearly, let’s call it 26 players of the 53 who finished on that 2011 Rams team never played in the NFL again, so you knew we had we had to replenish this with a good core, and over the years you draft it, but last year we tipped into let's call it being a ‘legit contender.’ So at that point, you’re well aware, wait a minute, we want to sustain this, we want to keep contending.

And, I’ll always say this, I got a simple rule: You can't be scared in this league. Look at Doug Pederson this year and, it wasn't reckless but it took courage and guess what? They won a Super Bowl on some of those fourth-down plays. So you try to do that as a general manager, but I also think, and this is long-winded answer, some of the analytics that you have now to really look at what historically draft picks bring you in reality over time …”

Me: “You’ve basically looked at draft choices as tools in the toolbox. That's how I kind of look at your thing: You’re not wedded to your draft picks.”

Snead: “Right. You should be my interpreter.”
---------------------------------------
Other really good Stuff!!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Allen is the perfect bust pick. Doesn’t stand out on film, except for arm strength, wasn’t successful in college, didn’t have a good completion percentage. He seems to be the perfects browns pick for a QB lol.

Fortunately for the Browns they got a new GM who I think is going to get it right. I'd be very surprised if they take Allen. The media just overhyped Allen from day one due to his size and measurables, but as the draft nears we should see that correct a bit as team board leaks & GM behind the scene comments cause changes in the media boards.

What is interesting is the Giants at 2. Dave Gettleman's known for having a preference for size and power, but I still doubt even he takes a QB with accuracy issues that high in the draft. IMO the right pick for them is Rosen. Pretty sure he'll be the pick for that matter, as they have a 37 year old QB on the decline behind center.

Indy is eerily similar. I wonder whether McDaniels backing out had to do with the health of Andrew Luck. IMO they will take Barkley, but if they're worried enough about QB they might press at the position.

Gonna be a really fun draft to watch though tbh. Either way I expect 4 QBs off the board in the top ten.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Fortunately for the Browns they got a new GM who I think is going to get it right. I'd be very surprised if they take Allen. The media just overhyped Allen from day one due to his size and measurables, but as the draft nears we should see that correct a bit as team board leaks & GM behind the scene comments cause changes in the media boards.

What is interesting is the Giants at 2. Dave Gettleman's known for having a preference for size and power, but I still doubt even he takes a QB with accuracy issues that high in the draft. IMO the right pick for them is Rosen. Pretty sure he'll be the pick for that matter, as they have a 37 year old QB on the decline behind center.

Indy is eerily similar. I wonder whether McDaniels backing out had to do with the health of Andrew Luck. IMO they will take Barkley, but if they're worried enough about QB they might press at the position.

Gonna be a really fun draft to watch though tbh. Either way I expect 4 QBs off the board in the top ten.

Absolutely, and I agree with the Browns I also feel they finally got it right. I was just basing my comments on their former GM’s picks.

I see Darnold and Rosen going 1 & 2, but I just love mayfield, I think he will be a perfect fit for the jets, I love his competitiveness, and i believe they will take him at 3, hopefully for their sake, they take him and not Allen.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm rooting for the Browns due to the underdog status and all that. I hope they take Saquon Barkley with their #1 pick and then whichever QB is there at #4.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I totally agree.

What's wrong with ANYTHING Rosen said?

That the NCAA is corrupt and not focused on student-athletes? That it's all about the money?That his fellow players who don't come from an upper-middle-class background have it a lot harder than he does? (anyone remember Adrian Foster saying he blatantly broke NCAA rules when he called his coach and said, "I'm hungry. If you don't bring me some food, I'm gonna go do something stupid...because I'm HUNGRY." How's a young kid supposed to maintain pro levels of muscle while still growing...on a meal card???

What the idiots who criticize Rosen are really saying is that they want student-athletes to be indentured servants to take a $50k education IF and ONLY IF they remain healthy and they are to forever have no power to renegotiate or realize their actual value in the marketplace.

Prime example 1) BusinessWeek estimated that in Johnny Manziel's senior year, based on sales of merchandise and endowments to the college, Johnny Football was worth conservatively $300 MILLION to the university that year. That wasn't thousand...that was $300 MILLION. But sure, NCAA... his education was fair trade for $300 MILLION in sales and endowments. Apparently, they don't teach math or economics at Texas A&M.

Funny, for a bunch of capitalists, they sure get all communist when it comes to the efforts of student-athletes..."all your work belongs to the collective..." Yeah, mmhmm.

I'm a huge Rosen fan and the NCAA can eat a bag of dicks...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm rooting for the Browns due to the underdog status and all that. I hope they take Saquon Barkley with their #1 pick and then whichever QB is there at #4.

If they were picking at 1 and 3, I think going Barkley would be smart. But with them picking 1 and 4, there's going to be dropoff from the top two guys to the third QB. Allen has the accuracy concerns, Mayfield the size concerns. And I like Mayfield a lot btw, but not enough to pass on either Darnold or Rosen.

IMO Darnold and Rosen are the best two QBs at the top of a QB class in a long time. And after them this class has more options and depth too. It's ridiculous how good this QB class is.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d like to see Cleveland pick Barkley and Nelson in round 1 and Falk or Lauletta in round 2.

That would get some staunch criticism. I really don’t think it is all that crazy.

I know there has been concerns about Baker Mayfield’s character, but I prefer him over all the others. He has that winner quality.

Rosen May have a little Cutler in him. Darnold makes dumb decisions, so is he smart enough? Allen is all arm, not much else. Jackson will blow his knee out by the end of the year. Falk should be higher rated.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really don’t think this is a great draft overall. Every QB has ?, the edge rushers don’t wow me. The OTs aren’t slam dunks. The top receivers aren’t either. Overall depth is good at LB, mainly.

I just don’t see many sure things. I think Snead played it right. I don’t see a whole lot of instant production in this class to bolster a team on the cusp.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If they were picking at 1 and 3, I think going Barkley would be smart. But with them picking 1 and 4, there's going to be dropoff from the top two guys to the third QB. Allen has the accuracy concerns, Mayfield the size concerns. And I like Mayfield a lot btw, but not enough to pass on either Darnold or Rosen.

IMO Darnold and Rosen are the best two QBs at the top of a QB class in a long time. And after them this class has more options and depth too. It's ridiculous how good this QB class is.

The Giants might not go with a QB if Barkley is there at #2. The Jets definitely will go QB at #3, so the Browns can pick from either Darnold or Rosen, whoever is left over. It's a gamble for sure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d like to see Cleveland pick Barkley and Nelson in round 1 and Falk or Lauletta in round 2.

What's crazy with QBs is you just don't know what teams will do because of the desperation factor. Cleveland for example could plan to take Barkley and Nelson but then everyone knows they covet one of the second tier guys. And then they have to sit there and sweat it out while other teams maneuver around them knowing exactly that. Other teams who have needs at the position are all threats to move ahead of you and take a guy you want.

GMs who do that require balls of steel man. If I'm the GM in Cleveland I don't know that I am willing to watch the guy I covet get snapped up before my round two pick. You can hope that you're the only team who sees a guy's value, but chances are you're not.

I have no idea where Falk is on NFL boards. But I have him round 2 in terms of value, and ahead of Rudolph (who will probably go before him due to measurables). Lauletta is probably a round 3 guy at the earliest but who knows, again due to the supply & demand shortage with QBs you gotta be willing to go get your guy. So if I knew for sure that I could get Falk it would be tempting to do as you say.

Bigger question here, though, is that IF you're the new GM of Cleveland, whose owner just fired a guy for continually turning his nose up at early QBs as if they're not good enough for him only to watch them go on to change team fortunes, what is your chance of convincing him that passing on Darnold, Rosen, etc is a good plan?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Where to begin....this is a deep draft at several positions....esp. QB....7 on 7 football

South Dakota State had their pro day last week, and there were six NFL tight-end coaches there to see their guy [Dallas Goedert]. But he didn’t run the 40. Hasn’t run it yet. He could go anywhere from low first to the third, but it’s hard to know because teams don’t know his speed.”
40 times don't matter to anyone but champ and some Gm's....interesting....:rolllaugh:
They need the tackle from UCLA, Kolton Miller. He’s Nate Solder, is what he is … 6'8", 310 pounds, unbelievable 10-yard speed, which is what you need for a tackle. Needs development. But [offensive line coach] Dante Scarnecchia can develop a guy like that as well as anyone.”
Watched this guy a bunch...probably the last 2 years....I would like to see the team that can turn him into a player....not a physical bone in his body...seemed to forget the snap count...get off late...whatever...and went the wrong way like G-Rob/Brown....IDK...that's what I saw...

Who was Spurrier’s starting quarterback in the last game he coached in the NFL?
Thought he was that lil QB....#6 or #8.....Bigtime QB in college...think he came from Florida U.....Damn, what was his name?
We got to build a young core because at that point it’s nearly, let’s call it 26 players of the 53 who finished on that 2011 Rams team never played in the NFL again
Wow. That's a pretty major indictment of the Spagvaney regime ...
Truly shocking...but not surprised....We saw them play...some of those dudes....and yall wonder why I like Sparq guys????
And don't @ me about that Hill dude....Alex Barron...Smith...the OT from Baylor....don't.
Since Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl with Baltimore, there have been five seasons played in the NFL. In those five seasons combined, 31 quarterbacks have started at least 40 games. Flacco is 30th in passer rating in those five seasons, at 82.1.
And Flacco's elite....allegedly

My buddy's got a theory about guys that get paid.....Joe got paid....and dude don't want it no more. It happens

Love this for the Patriots because Matthews will play this year at 26, is now healthy, and in his three NFL seasons before 2017 with Philadelphia, averaged 75 catches and 891 yards. He’s the kind of big target (6'3") the Patriots and Brady needed.
Don't they have Kenny Britt??? He'll be better than Matthews.

I don’t get the unveiling of uniforms being a news event.
Prime, this dude probably NEVER bought a jersey!!!!:rolllaugh:
NFL people...is huge...it's taking off in LA...after being gone for 20+ years....I actually know a couple of Chargers coaches....our kids play together....they NEVER wanna talk football...LOLOL
7. I think this Johnny Manziel admission to Dan Patrick just really rubbed me the wrong way: “Guys are good in the NFL because they know film, they study hard, and they work even harder in the offseason. I didn’t know that. I feel like if Cleveland did any of their homework, they would have know that I’m a guy that didn’t come in every day and watch film …

When I get to Cleveland, I have a quarterback in the room [Brian Hoyer] that’s not helping me. And it’s not really his job to, but nobody was there, helping me. And it was hard. I struggled … There was a lot of winging it, and not a lot of, you know, knowing what I was doing.”

One: It’s not the starting quarterback’s job to help the backup take the job from him. It would be nice if the starter did that, but in my experience, many more starting quarterbacks over time have been okay but not super-helpful to the first-round pick who’s there to put the starter out of business. Two: “Nobody was there, helping me.”

What? Dowell Loggains, quarterback coach, and Kyle Shanahan, offense coordinator … They didn’t help? They weren’t there to help? Their office doors were closed? That is, to be charitable, a disingenuous claim by Manziel. To be uncharitable, it is downright lame.
Now...this is why I'm here....

Dude tells the truth...and this fool don't wanna here it?!?

Same thing goes on...every fucking day...dudes you think would help....dudes that are SUPPOSED TO TRAIN YOU....don't do shit....every fucking job in america....if the bosses aint watching...dudes won't help.....cause if you're better than them...they get replaced.
. I think the answers to the Steve Spurrier quizzes surprised me.

The starting quarterback for Washington in the 2003 season finale—and one of six quarterbacks to throw passes for Spurrier in his two NFL seasons—was Tim Hasselbeck.
What was that QB from Florida's name??? #6...huge bust....
9. I think I can’t say this enough: If San Francisco safety Eric Reid does not get signed, it sends a chilling message about free speech to every NFL player who would think about protesting anything. Colin Kaepernick being unsigned is reprehensible enough.

But if Reid, Kaepernick’s protest partner with the Niners in 2016, is not signed to a representative safety contract this spring, every player will know the league’s mantra: Get in line, or this will happen to you when your contract expires—no matter how good you are.
If they lose that collusion hearing...it would serve them right....and for those that don't know that law...it's a huge fine....always triple the damages....

explain that rule for us counselor if you've got some free time.... @jrry32

Allen can play....he can scramble...he's a great kid....and he had a terrible team....like, terrible line...terrible receivers...he did riffle in his passes....and the game I saw...maybe week 3 or 5....he was putting dimes on them....and they were dropping passes
Allen is all arm, not much else.
Nope...nice legs too(y)
IMO Allen is the perfect bust pick. Doesn’t stand out on film
Look at movement....look at throws under pressure...on 3rd downs....he has all the "tools".:football:

Funny, for a bunch of capitalists, they sure get all communist when it comes to the efforts of student-athletes..."all your work belongs to the collective..." Yeah, mmhmm.
Oh mac....oh no.:fuelfire:...it's funny when all of a sudden, capitalists start showing their true colors....fascists.....:hiding:no no...not political...just a joke..among friends....

Gil has a lil history, huh?:mrburns:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched this guy a bunch...probably the last 2 years....I would like to see the team that can turn him into a player....not a physical bone in his body...seemed to forget the snap count...get off late...whatever...and went the wrong way like G-Rob/Brown....IDK...that's what I saw...

I think Miller will be a very good RT at the least. That's his floor IMO, and his ceiling is somewhere along the lines of Nate Solder. He's my favorite OT in this draft, but he's going to be taken way higher than he should.

OTs are a problem. Hopefully next year's crop will be better, but the ones who can play get snapped up quick man. Rams need to be ready to move up in next year's draft to get their guy IMO. Finding a LT will be a key part of next offseason, along with all manner of craziness with the FAs we'll have.