Peter King: 2012 A rebuilding year for the St Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
I would be surprised next year if we didn't have a new starting OL (OT, either LT and Saffold is moved to the right, or a RT) probably a rookie, a new S (or two) a new OLB, and a new TE (for depth) and a new WR or two.

So at least three new starters (OT, S, OLB) on the team, possibly three or four if we get two safeties and two OLB. Maybe even five if we get a new WR.

So in terms of 2012 to 2013 there might not be a huge change. But in terms of 2011 to 2013? Not even close to being the same team.

*edit* we'll probably get a new CB too. I would be shocked if Gibson and Fletcher are suiting up for the Rams next year (as in 2013). Smith and Pettis could be out too depending on their impact this year.

I would be very surprised if they moved Saffold. I am not even sure why anyone would think they would.

2011 to 2013? 50% starters retained, at least, and as for the changes, a lot of those were gone anyway, including guys who tanked (Brown and Robbins). You would have had JL, Quinn, Long, Saffold, Dahl, Kendricks, Bradford, Amendola, Miller, and Jackson.

That is. The rebuild wasn't done. They were going to do things anyway, no matter who it was, in 2012. The core was there in 2011 and it will be there in 2013. They might have even done it sooner if they hadn't used resources to trade out one set of good starting corners for a different set of good starting corners.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Saffold was originally drafted to play RT. We we were to grab someone who is a better LT, I don't know why we wouldn't stick him there and let Saffold play the right side. It's nothing against Saffold in my opinion, it's not that I think he's a bad LT. I'm just saying if we have a draft pick and there's a dominate LT (like a Kalil or someone) then we should stick him wherever will make the line as good as we can get it. I don't care how it gets done, I want to see that RT spot get solidified without weakening another position. Basically meaning upgrade from Richardson.

Kendricks can easily be replaced next year if he has a lot of drops again as well. Love the guy but you need to hang onto the ball. There's a long way to go about that though, there's no need to really look that far ahead at this point either. As far as I'm considered the only thing that matters is the Lions week 1.

Iron Lion

Starter
zn said:
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
Iron Lion said:
I guess it's a related topic since we are playing in week one... the Lions are returning 21 of 22 starters, and the same kicker and punter.
So which guy are you rebuilding?

Wishing they could rebuild Jahvid Best, I'm assuming.

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing there will be a pretty good churn again next year. Like ZN said, new batch of safties, likely a couple new bookends on offense, at least two new wide outs, tight end, a few new bodies at CB. Step one is mold it in your image and step two is churn from the bottom up.

I actually think it will probably be far less than that.

I mean who can say cause we haven't even seen day 1 yet.

But, at this point, now, I would say that on paper anyway they could use a couple of safeties, an outside LB, and a right tackle. Add a receiver to the batch they already have.

For depth? Another DT, another OT.

I don't see it as being that much. 7 guys. Depends who else falls to em.

They probably churn up the bottom of the roster. But you know, not much else.

Just one guy's miserably abjectly wretchedly humble opinion. N stuff.

"21 of 22 starters" is a bit vague, but it is still a great way to describe the Lions right now.

The 1 guy who left is our 2nd CB, Eric Wright, who left for the $$$ in Tampa.

Jahvid Best was the starting RB last year, and he is still on the team, so he could be said to count toward the 21. On the other hand, we ended the season with Pretty Boy Kevin Smith as the starting RB, and he will open up as the starter this year. So either way you splice it, the starting RB is returning. Also Mikel Leshoure will be back week 3 after he serves his suspension and he looked good in preseason.

The safety position is another story, but same theme. Delmas and Spievey were the starters last year. Delmas is by far the best safety on the team, but I don't see him being ready to go due to getting a knee scope during camp. Spievey is very unlikely to see time this year because of poor play, he is being benched. Most likely the starters on gameday will be Wendling and Coleman, both of which were with the team last year. So again, whichever way you splice it, the safeties are returning.

Also we are opening with the same kicker (Jason Hanson) and a different punter than we opened with in 2011 -- instead we are opening up with the punter who replaced him in the middle of the season.

As for the needed improvements of this team that you all are perceiving...

RT is not the biggest need this year on the line. Gosder, our loveable RT, is a major problem, but we drafted Riley Reiff and Gosder has had an impeccable camp in an effort to keep his job. Also he is in a contract year. The problem positions here are C and RG. Those two are very weak on the line.

I believe I saw comments about TEs and the bottom part of the WR corps... below Megatron and Nate Burleson we have two 2nd-round WRs, one of whom is a rookie and one of whom is in his second year. They should be solid. As for TEs, well, Pettigrew, the #1, I believe was top-10 for TEs in terms of catches and yards. Possibly top-5 even. And our other TE, whom we use often, well let's just say he had as many TDs last year as a particular starting QB who had his share of struggles. :p

LB is a problem position. Just not very good, although not horrible.

Ah, and then we have the secondary. All I can say is that the Louis Delmas I mentioned above is like our Bob Sanders, if you recall that guy from the Colts. Always injured, but major impact when he is in there. We were a pretty good defense last year, and we were holding GB to 7 points deep into the game on Suh-Stomp Day, and then Delmas and our best CB go out with injuries and the defense falls off a cliff. Delmas returned in the playoffs but was not himself. And as I said, I don't think he's going to be able to play this Sunday, so yipee for your Rams. And as I mentioned, the other safety is going to be someone else different from last year. Spievey is in the doghouse. As for the rest of the secondary, we kept our best CB (Chris Houston) and all of the other bodies were not on the roster last year. So whatever you make of this mess of a paragraph is up to you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Saffold was originally drafted to play RT. We we were to grab someone who is a better LT, I don't know why we wouldn't stick him there and let Saffold play the right side. It's nothing against Saffold in my opinion, it's not that I think he's a bad LT. I'm just saying if we have a draft pick and there's a dominate LT (like a Kalil or someone) then we should stick him wherever will make the line as good as we can get it. I don't care how it gets done, I want to see that RT spot get solidified without weakening another position. Basically meaning upgrade from Richardson.

Kendricks can easily be replaced next year if he has a lot of drops again as well. Love the guy but you need to hang onto the ball. There's a long way to go about that though, there's no need to really look that far ahead at this point either. As far as I'm considered the only thing that matters is the Lions week 1.
I read something today that was kind of interesting. Turns out that Saffold was working with McCollum prior to the combine; and as such, was working in a guard capacity. It would be cool if Saffold became like a Goldberg 3.0 with the ability to play everywhere and actually be an asset everywhere. Then they could, like you said, sign a marquee tackle or two.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

I read something today that was kind of interesting. Turns out that Saffold was working with McCollum prior to the combine; and as such, was working in a guard capacity. It would be cool if Saffold became like a Goldberg 3.0 with the ability to play everywhere and actually be an asset everywhere. Then they could, like you said, sign a marquee tackle or two.

Well, maybe not Goldberg.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well, maybe not Goldberg.
That's why I said Goldberg 3.0. 3X better, if you will.