Peter King: 10/29/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. Only Rams/Packers mentions are included here. To read the whole article click the link below.
************************************************************************************
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ckers-todd-gurley-fmia-nfl-week-8-peter-king/

FMIA Week 8: On the Role a Rolex Played In Keeping the Rams Perfect
By Peter King

gettyimages-1054781402.jpg

Getty Images

LOS ANGELES — When you’re undefeated, you need some luck along the way. The Rams’ luck Sunday was Ty Montgomery, two yards deep in the end zone, choosing to run the ball out—instead of giving the ball to one of the best quarterbacks ever at his 25 with two minutes left, needing just a field goal to win. Montgomery fumbled. Rams recovered. Wisconsin threw a brick through its collective TV set. Game over.

But that’s too simple. This game was actually a vivid illustration why the Rams, at 8-0, sit atop the NFL mountain approaching the midpoint of the NFL’s 99th season. They will have contenders to the throne, contenders from New England and Kansas City and rising New Orleans (8-0 Rams at 6-1 Saints, next Sunday, 4:25 p.m. ET), and maybe even from Minnesota, Carolina, Washington or down the street; the Chargers seem pesky.

It’s a good illustration because of Todd Gurley, the friendly guy with the long dreads and skinny wire-framed glasses, who does everything right and fits in on a team with a smart young coach and unassuming young quarterback and a team that plays complementary football.

One tight game, two exemplary plays.

I always look for the plays that explain precisely why teams are what they are, and I found two in the Rams’ locker room after the 29-27 victory.

One: Todd Gurley’s 30-yard touchdown reception in the middle of the third quarter, which looked so ridiculously easy. How does the best back in football, the legit MVP candidate, go untouched out of the backfield, go untouched on a crossing route, and go untouched running all the way for a touchdown?

Two: The “Rolex Play,” Gurley’s 17-yard run with 65 seconds left, the one when he just stopped running and went down at the 4-yard line, much to the chagrin of Vegas and fantasy fiends alike. You’ve got to hear the Rolex story.

So … were you watching Sunday? What a tremendous game in a tremendous setting, the 95-year-old Coliseum with the classic peristyles, with a quarterback certain to go down in history waiting for one more shot to win that never came. And the atmosphere. When the Packers came out of the ancient tunnel where so many of the greats in football history have entered, it sounded like Lambeau West—truly, maybe louder than if this game had been at Lambeau Field.

“I didn’t really expect that in L.A., but that crowd was fantastic,” Aaron Rodgers said. Sometimes, you’re witnessing an event that’s just different—and this was just different, and great. I’m sorry we didn’t get to see another classic Rodgers late drive, but that’s football. The dumb Montgomery play—it happens.

But that should not obscure what else we saw in the 29-27 L.A. victory. Namely this: The Rams are not going anywhere. They survived Sunday, but every great team has to survive on days when it’s not at its best, or when the foe is really good. Look back at every champion, and you’ll see a shaky win or two. There is no shame in edging Aaron Rodgers instead of dominating him.

On Sunday, two plays taught us so much about this team. A touchdown and an oddity. Understand those, and you go a long way toward understanding this team.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Lead: Gurley

As the NFL reaches its midpoint, the 8-0 Rams and 7-1 Chiefs are the headliners. They meet three weeks from tonight, in Mexico City. We’ll have time to blow out that story.

First, two plays. I want you to understand the Los Angeles Rams.

The Gurley Touchdown
The Rams have a jillion weapons in the passing game. Gurley is third in targets. Often, he feels first. He’s so good out of the backfield that coach Sean McVay tries to get him the ball in space three or four times a game, and he uses the legal picks that so many teams use. When they work, they’re things of beauty. When they don’t, the ball might be incomplete, or the back might get waylaid coming out of the backfield.

“The key is Higbee,” Gurley told me at his locker after the game. That’s Tyler Higbee, the Rams’ Bavaro-like 255-pound tight end. “Higbee’s a beast.”

On this play, Gurley is split left in the slot, and he runs out just past the line, then does a crosser to the right. The Packers’ precocious inside linebacker, Blake Martinez, spies Gurley and makes a beeline for him. But here comes Higbee. All he wants to do is “accidentally” knock the Gurley cover guy off his course. Higbee puts an “accidental” shoulder into Martinez, and suddenly, Gurley is wide open. Martinez, who would have been hopelessly behind Gurley, now covers Higbee, hoping one of his mates sees the legal pick play.

Somebody get Gurley!

Nobody got Gurley.

View: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1056675847036268545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1056675847036268545&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2018%2F10%2F29%2Frams-packers-todd-gurley-fmia-nfl-week-8-peter-king%2F

McVay, afterward, didn’t want to give away the store, but he did tell me, “That was by design.” Of course it was. So many things the Rams do are by design, ghost-like maneuvers you don’t see clearly but when they’re over, you wonder, “How’d that happen?”

At his locker, Gurley was almost sheepish about it, like his coach. “Their guy [Martinez] was off me a little bit,” Gurley said. “My job is just be patient and then go across, come underneath him. It was wide open. We were practicing this play for probably a month.”

“A month?” I said.

“Yeah,” he said. “Never called it once. Not in a game. Just in practice. In practice, our guys haven’t been able to pick it up, not one time in practice. We’re like, ‘Yeah, this is gonna work.’ “

“You mean the pick part of it?” I said.

“Yup,” he said. “It’s a natural pick. Higbee’s the best. He’s one of the best shift blockers in the league. He does a lot of great stuff that gets unnoticed on this team. He’s our sixth offensive lineman and he’s always doing great job in play action passes, everything. His work does not go unnoticed by his teammates—tell you that.”

The team, the team, the team.

The Rolex Play
So we shouldn’t go crazy in praising a player for getting down in-bounds and giving up a touchdown for the good of the team, when the clock can be run out. We won’t. But it’s worth pointing out because it illustrates a lot about how symphonic this team is, and how the players and coaches listen and learn.

In training camp, McVay works on special plays. Odd plays, plays that might come up once a year or maybe once in 10 years. Or never. In camp, McVay and the staff worked on the play they christened the “Rolex Play.” Meaning this, as McVay told me: “Time is more important than the points. Time means everything there.”

It’s part of the McVay program. Each week, the special teams coach, John Fassel (the ultra-slim man’s nickname is “Bones”), gathers plays from around the league—either good ideas on weird plays, or plays teams messed up by simply not using common sense.

“Bones has a meeting every week where we compile situations, try to educate ourselves as coaches and our players on, If this happens, how do we handle it? Rolex was one of those. In Rolex, if we got a first down there, that was one of those get-down-in-bounds situations. As long as we hang onto the ball, they can’t score. But we score, then they get the ball back.”

In the huddle, on third-and-10 with 65 seconds to play, multiple guys said one of three things: “Rolex,” “Get down,” and “Don’t score.” That, as guard Rodger Saffold told me, is a group of players who understand what’s required there, all thinking in unison. Again: It’s not stunningly smart. It’s just sensible, and shows how unified and well-drilled the team is.

So McVay called the power sweep, pitched to Gurley. Classic power football. And it worked. From the 21, Gurley broke through the line and sprinted toward the goal line. “I could have walked into the end zone,” Gurley said. “But we talked in the huddle about being situationally aware and just getting down and winning the game.”

It almost looked like the Green Bay defensive back, vet Tramon Williams, tried to lift up Gurley and keep him going. Strange, unless you understand the story.

“They want the ball in 12’s hands, of course,” Gurley said. Aaron Rodgers, he means.

A Jared Goff kneeldown, and game over.

I said to Gurley: “You realize every fantasy player who has you on their team is screaming, “Score! Score!”

Players, many of them, hate the fantasy football pollution on the game. Gurley gave me a little bit of a snide look. He said: “They should be happy about all the performances I gave them in the weeks before. They need to be humbled as well.”

So there.

“Lots to like about today,” left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. “Honestly, this game showed a lot about how we’re about team and family before it’s about anything. The most special things the Rams have going on offensively is that some of their best players are really some of the most special people. Jared and Todd. Really, two special human beings as far as their humbleness, their attitudes, really just the way they come in every single day to work as hard as anybody else if not harder. We’re in good hands with those guys.”

They’re in good hands, period. “Teams are testing us now, trying to figure out what to do to beat us, and they’ve got a lot of film to do that,” Whitworth said. “It’s a test for us, but …”

He trailed off. I can complete the sentence.

But they’re passing the test.
----------------------------------------

The Rams, want a pass-rusher. I hear defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is lukewarm on Denver’s Ray (having coached him two years ago), and if the Jags make disappointing high first-round pick Dante Fowler Jr., available, the Rams would have interest. L.A. is unlikely to deal swing guard Jamon Brown for a late-round pick, though there’s been interest. He’s a low-cost insurance guy for the line.
-----------------------------------
Special Teams Players of the Week

Sam Shields, cornerback, and Johnny Hekker, kicker, Los Angeles Rams. Reunion day for Shields, who was such a force for Green Bay from 2010-16. Remember his two picks and a sack in the 2010 NFC title game, the win over Chicago that propelled the Packers to the Super Bowl?

Against his old team Sunday, after hugging Aaron Rodgers pregame, Shields caught a fake-punt pass from Hekker to extend a second-quarter drive, then downed a Hekker punt inside the Packer 1 that led to a safety and the Rams first points of the day. Great day for Shields and, as usual, for Hekker.
-------------------------------------
Goats of the Week

Ty Montgomery, kick returner, Green Bay. Does Montgomery know who Green Bay’s quarterback is? With his team trailing by two and under three minutes to play, all Montgomery needed to do was to take a knee after receiving a Ram kickoff in the end zone. Instead, Montgomery inexplicably ran it out—disobeying got hammered and coughed up the football. Rams recovered. And Aaron Rogers and the offense never had the chance to finish off the upset.
---------------------------------------

MVP Watch

2. Todd Gurley, RB, L.A. Rams. Last week: 2. Thirty-two touches, 195 yards, and the offense of the 8-0 flows through him. I saw it for myself.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Todd’s comments on Higbeast tell you all you need to know. Pine all you want for more passes to tight ends. They’re doing what’s expected of them and doing it very well.

Psycho_X

Legend
Interesting that they are looking for edge help possibly. Guess Obo's lack of training camp is not going to make him our savior this season. That's a shame. I've been wondering about Brown. It would probably be dangerous to trade o-line insurance though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And Todd’s comments on Higbeast tell you all you need to know. Pine all you want for more passes to tight ends. They’re doing what’s expected of them and doing it very well.

I still pine for Everrett to get more touches. He is great with the ball in his hands.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
^^^^^ This.

aaaaaaaaaand....We had a Gerald Everett sighting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still pine for Everrett to get more touches. He is great with the ball in his hands.
Sometimes he is but the players and coaches have made it abundantly clear that they need to be smart and know how to do it all. It doesn’t appear by the amount of touches he gets that he’s that player. Higbee blocks and does the little things like TG says in this article. I don’t think at this point Everett is ever anything more than a backup.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, that surprised me most of all. I didn't realize he meant that much to the offense.

“The key is Higbee,” Gurley told me at his locker after the game. That’s Tyler Higbee, the Rams’ Bavaro-like 255-pound tight end. “Higbee’s a beast."

"Higbee’s the best. He’s one of the best shift blockers in the league. He does a lot of great stuff that gets unnoticed on this team. He’s our sixth offensive lineman and he’s always doing great job in play action passes, everything. His work does not go unnoticed by his teammates—tell you that.”

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Very well written report. Only thing i dont like is he (and most journalists) assume that GB would have won if Ty kneeled in the end zone.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sometimes he is but the players and coaches have made it abundantly clear that they need to be smart and know how to do it all. It doesn’t appear by the amount of touches he gets that he’s that player. Higbee blocks and does the little things like TG says in this article. I don’t think at this point Everett is ever anything more than a backup.

Well I would give him another year before casting him as "nothing more than a back up". He's missed a lot of time. One of the hardest positions to learn don't forget. Just sayin' maybe if he's healthy for an entire off season this year we can expect as leap in play. Fingers crossed

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I've been wondering about Brown. It would probably be dangerous to trade o-line insurance though.

if Sullivan play yesterday wasn't a fluke we may need to move blythe over to center and brown bake to rg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dante Fowler, Jr. YES PLEASEEEEEEEEEE
Just curious so don't kill me for this but what's the fascination with him? I see a lot of people wanting him but a 3rd overall pick was never able to earn the starting job. He had one good season so far in 3, a year when everybody on that defense was doing great admittedly. So far this year he's only even getting 31% of the defensive snaps so on a defense that this year is struggling he hardly gets any playing time. He's getting a lower % of snaps than Ramik Wilson and Franklin Myers are. I get that he was a 3rd overall pick he just isn't doing much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I would give him another year before casting him as "nothing more than a back up". He's missed a lot of time. One of the hardest positions to learn don't forget. Just sayin' maybe if he's healthy for an entire off season this year we can expect as leap in play. Fingers crossed
I'm not saying we get rid of him, I just don't see that bright of a future from what he's shown us so far. I hope he proves me wrong but so far it's pretty lack luster.

dang

Legend
Good to hear Rams admitting they need a pass rusher. I have been banging the drum for Fowler for a while. What would it take? If it’s for a 4th round pick jump on it. Maybe for a 3rd round pick. Probably not for a 2nd round pick.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, then...Go ahead and get Khalil Mack....

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Just curious so don't kill me for this but what's the fascination with him? I see a lot of people wanting him but a 3rd overall pick was never able to earn the starting job. He had one good season so far in 3, a year when everybody on that defense was doing great admittedly. So far this year he's only even getting 31% of the defensive snaps so on a defense that this year is struggling he hardly gets any playing time. He's getting a lower % of snaps than Ramik Wilson and Franklin Myers are. I get that he was a 3rd overall pick he just isn't doing much.
For me its that hope that maybe a change of scenery can make him into a dann good player. Kind of how Barron was to Williams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
btw..there was more Rams coverage in that article than in 15 years of King at MMQB. I bet Brady is pizzed!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

That will suck. A wasted primo pick. I hope you are wrong but it seems that he should be figuring it out by now.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

We've seen how much difference coaching makes.

McVay with Goff, Gurley and Kupp... Wade with our DBs and LBs who are improving weekly and especially Littleton!!!, scheming AD free, etc.

Much like with Sam Shields, if we trade for him, I'll trust Snead, McVay, Wade and the Rams FO and coaching staff that he'll be a solid contributor.

If not, no sweat.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. His time might be coming real soon though, he has been looking quite good of late and might just need Sean to increase his load a bit.

Also I am not sure why pining for TE weapons to step up in the passing game somehow translates to a lack of appreciation for what they do.