Peter King: 10/1/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
+1000

"Jared Goff, who had a lousy rookie year that left his confidence shaken. Since then, Goff has rebuilt his mechanics and footwork and confidence...." - PK

King is such an asshat. There was nothing wrong with his confidence, footwork or mechanics. Fisher was literally running (as TG famously noted), a middle school offense, we had no WRs, and teams were teeing of on JG who had zero time to read the field, which wouldn't have made any freaking difference anyway, because no one would have been open (see Gurley comment).

When I saw that pass to Austin, in that moment, I thought, "Houston we not only don't have a problem, we got us a freaking QUARTERBACK! :yess:

That was definitely a moment for me too---finding tiny Tavon behind the Saints' secondary required accuracy and touch.

Bayrams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bayrams
Sean Mannion should see those guys. If he had already, he didn’t learn or he’s not very good. However, I trust that McVay must see something in him.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I will concede that he seems to be throwing more/much better spirals this year, so improvement in (throwing) mechanics - yeah. Footwork - if that means learning how to take snaps under center - ok.

But NOT confidence and/or demeanor.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqYO3VPueM

I think Goff's problems were more not understanding defenses and possible bad route running his rookie year. Remember the WRs? I think confusion lead to some bad throws/mechanics. Here is his rookie highlights. I know they are highlights. Let it run to 2017 highlights. You can see similar traits. He looks a little smoother in 2017 but, basically same footwork.

I am in violent agreement with this and several other posts. Goff's problem was that the Rams' middle school offense did not present him with any viable option on most plays. You can't look good or have good mechanics when the defense has read the play from before the snap, you're being chased around from breakdowns in the O line, no receiver is open or where he is supposed to be, and there is no good decision to be made.

Goff could always pass and play. As noted in other posts anyone who has looked at his play at Cal, where Goff played under pressure, without a good o-line, and not much defense, gets that. He had to put up 35 points a game and he did. (As his Dad commented earlier this year, "He's always been great.") Goff would have basically been fine in any decent NFL offense his rookie year.

Goff has however worked really hard to get better every year. He often describes his progress as incremental, a lot of small things in every aspect of the game, and really understanding the intent of the offense. His pre-McVay comment "from the heart" that "whatever it takes, we're going to fix this" sums up his determination and ownership of the offense. McVay took the Rams job in large part because he could see that in Goff. Now of course it is a classic partnership which looks more and more like Walsh and Montana every day.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But honestly I feel like Jared would have come around (i.e. been a good or better starter) even with a poor OC; the only thing that could have kept him from developing, IMO, is a porous OL, which can be the death of any young signal caller at this level.
Just can't agree with this. So, you're telling me that, had Fisher, Boras, Wenke and Boudreau stayed on, Goff would have eventually come around? If Goff had the same line and Kromer as coach... but Boras was calling the plays, Goff would be excelling?

I just don't see that at all.

He didn’t make striking improvements under McVay because he was under McVay.
Disagree here as well... people talk about McVay's "vision" of what he wants in a team. He has the tremendous skill of "seeing" what can be done and building a team (of course with help) that can make those visions reality.

So many times you hear coaches say that they have to "put players in a position to win".

McVay knows how to do that... a few other head coaches in the NFL know how to do that.

Jeff Fisher and his staff did not know how to do that and - IMO - no amount of time would have "fixed" that for Goff (or anyone else on the offense, for that matter).

The big difference is McVay. His vision, his teaching, his schemes... things many coaches in the NFL do not possess... and something Fisher and his staff definitely did not possess.

Goff is in a place where his full potential can be realized... never would have happened had things stayed the way they were.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just can't agree with this. So, you're telling me that, had Fisher, Boras, Wenke and Boudreau stayed on, Goff would have eventually come around? If Goff had the same line and Kromer as coach... but Boras was calling the plays, Goff would be excelling?

I just don't see that at all.

I think Jared would have worked his butt off and been a good QB in year 2 regardless. Yes. Only thing that would have prevented that is a porous OL.

Course we'll never know, thankfully.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's simple, really. You have to have the capacity for developing young quarterbacks. Some coaches have it, and others don't and refuse to get the help they need by surrounding themselves with people who can't do it either. I'm so glad we are out of that mess.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The 2016 LA RAMS were a bust.
It was never the 21 year old kid under center for 7 games.

Goff was the 1st pick because he was the best QB prospect.

He had an arm the entire time. He had touch the entire time. He had poise the entire time. He could make perfect "wow" throws...

All of the crap before that year, the move across country, multiple the reality TV shows, whatever combination of things it was, the 2016 Rams were the worst team Fisher has had BY FAR, records be damned. Specifically, the offensive staff were so out of their league and in over their head, the players couldnt execute, the coordinators couldn't adapt...
Goff was a rookie with no pro style experience. He was unprepared and so he underperformed but it was always obvious that he had tools but nothing to work with, imo.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was a rookie with no pro style experience. He was unprepared and so he underperformed but it was always obvious that he had tools but nothing to work with, imo.
Yes... and had they not replaced who actually takes those tools and fine tunes them to help build the machine, those tools would still be wasting away on unimaginative, ineffective plays. Goff would still be driving his Ferrarri 25 MPH and losing races.

Now... he's driving it 160 MPH and is lapping defenses. Same engine... same tools... different Mechanic teaching/guiding him.

Comes back to the same issue which, thankfully, is long gone.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While he would have developed, would he have developed quickly enough?

The Rams would have had to decide whether to pick up his 5th year option after this season - if he was mediocre would they have felt like committing $25 million to him for 2020, or would they have tried to get a free agent veteran? Would Goff have finished his development with another team?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams would have had to decide whether to pick up his 5th year option after this season - if he was mediocre would they have felt like committing $25 million to him for 2020, or would they have tried to get a free agent veteran? Would Goff have finished his development with another team?
Isn't that crazy? Let's say the Rams stuck with Fisher/Boras/Weinke/Boudreau and continued to struggle (like Jerruh Jones is sticking with his coaching staff)... and it's time to re-sign Goff.

I suspect they'd let him go... thinking he's not the QB thjey thought he was... that he could become one of the best in the league.

Then, they trade him to a team with an innovative HC and staff... and the Rams look like fools.

Sounds crazy... but that's how things can work out (Foles wins Super Bowl... Keenum leads Vikings and gets starting role).

I'm just glad we have Goff and a coaching staff that can get the best out of him - and the rest of the team.

Finally!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

He'd likely have been a grossly underperforming 1st overall who occasionally threw some amazing passes, thus revealing his talent. He'd have remained a diamond in the rough.