Pete Carroll defends fake punt call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giphy.gif

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...wait-to-see-if-jon-ryan-can-return-next-week/

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll defends fake punt call, says team will have to wait to see if Jon Ryan can return next week
By Bob Condotta

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is hopeful punter Jon Ryan won't miss any time after suffering a concussion Thursday, but Carroll didn't rule out that the Seahawks may have to explore options.

5d777442-c350-11e6-8b82-32cca6721c2b-780x462.jpg

Seattle’s decision to call a fake punt with 5:22 remaining in a game in which it held a 24-3 lead not only has led to some second-guessing of the call but also could mean the Seahawks will have to find a fill-in punter.

Jon Ryan gained 26 yards on the play before taking a hard hit and suffering a concussion. He was examined at the hospital afterward and while coach Pete Carroll said Friday he thinks that Ryan will be okay he didn’t rule out that the team might need to find an additional punter for its game Dec. 24 against Arizona.

“We’ll see,’’ Carroll said. “Of course we’ll just wait it out with Jon but if he can’t play we’ll have to do something and we’ll figure it out. There’s a lot of guys who dropped notes in my suggestion box that they can punt. Guys like (Jermaine) Kearse and Russ (Russell Wilson), they all think they can punt if we need it. We’ll have some guys. We’ll have a punt pass and kick contest this week if we need to.”

Ryan’s wife, comedian Sarah Colonna, Tweeted Friday morning that Ryan had “a bit of a headache” but that “he’s good!”

Carroll expressed no second-day remorse about the play call, which some questioned due to the fact that the Seahawks had the game well in hand. On his radio show on 710 ESPN Seattle Carroll said “you’re either competing or you’re not.’’

During his press conference later in the day, Carroll defended it saying “you have to do what you have to do.’’

He then elaborated further saying: “We had a tremendous preparation for an opportunity to take that we knew could be like a turnover in the game. If we could get the opportunity we would go for it. It didn’t matter when it happened, we were looking for it the whole night. The opportunity that we took, it gave us a chance to hold onto the football and not give them even the chance to get the ball back.

What more could I do to help my team? How it gets perceived and all, that’s what you guys get to talk about when you want to and I think it’s a waste of energy but I understand it. I don’t expect that you can see it from our perspective. I thought it was an excellent demonstration of planning and prep and execution.

It worked perfectly, except for the end of it was terrible. But that allowed us to keep the football and it didn’t have anything to do with something with the score or anything, just trying to finish the game as well as we could, in command of it as we were.”

Special teams have been an especially big factor in the Rams-Seahawks series in recent years, and Los Angeles had tried and failed on a fake punt earlier in the game that handed Seattle a field goal. If Carroll was trying to maybe send a message to the Rams, though, will probably be left to history to figure out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My message to Pete Carroll and my apologies to the mods.
giphy.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Carroll expressed no second-day remorse about the play call, which some questioned due to the fact that the Seahawks had the game well in hand. On his radio show on 710 ESPN Seattle Carroll said “you’re either competing or you’re not.’’
Can't really argue with that.
I know I would be okay with it if the tables were turned.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everybody in the world knows Carroll was just looking for anyway possible to keep the Ball and "Run-Up" the score on the Rams, and embarrass them more!! He's a @#$^&*(()_!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure Carroll was pi$$ed Fish wasn't there so he could thumb his nose at him for being such a pain in his @$$. It's whatever. Not bothered in the least by it, and just like with Goff the dude should have slid or ran with more awareness.

Pete should flip the press the bird on that tbh. It's idiotic to even discuss. Oh and all that aside, I'll second what was said above by @den-the-coach lol.

DeaconJones

Rookie
I think Pete Carroll was trying to embarrass us, plain and simple. I am not usually vindictive but I confess that I laughed heartily as poor Ryan bobbled the ball then got knocked out cold. Looks good on you Pete. I have no ill will personally towards Ryan.

Any time the Rams have run a fake punt or whatever against them, it has been in the context of desperately trying to win the game, not trying to run up the score.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I had no problem with it. If the Rams pulled that, I would defend it. The Rams should have been ready, they got caught on their heels.

That play WAS hilarious though. He bobbled it for no reason and got absolutely clobbered. It looked even funnier in slow-mo.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Bet teams won't be vacating the middle of the field on punt return anymore like that against them. Gives the opposing team something else to worry about in the future. Don't like it but I can't be mad they did it either.

…..

Legend
Once the ball was snapped, It was as if the red seas parted. All I could do was shake my head and chuckle.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It was a movie to pay back the Rams for all their special team moves against them. I bet in his head Carroll was damning Bailey, Fisher and Hekker.

I think it's a dumb move, you have one of the best defenses in the league and your opposition has only scored 3 points all game and you get your punter leveled just for some revenge on a team that doesn't even employ the guy you're trying to stick it to anymore.

You know how Fisher has 7-9 bullshit. Carroll should have one too. This is some be a power run team trading your road grading center for a receiving TE bullshit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't really argue with that.
I know I would be okay with it if the tables were turned.
I can honestly say I wouldn't be. To me it's just a bush league move in an already violent game. Notice the emotional tone of the game afterward too. It turned from hard hitting rivalry to fuck you attitude. Just my impression of what I saw.

VilleDeal

UDFA
Just love the way he was cutting up on the sideline while the punter is laid out on the field... Classless.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can honestly say I wouldn't be. To me it's just a bush league move in an already violent game. Notice the emotional tone of the game afterward too. It turned from hard hitting rivalry to freak you attitude. Just my impression of what I saw.
That's the way I felt about it too . Plus the fact that Russell tried to throw a TD pass late in the game . Let's hope they remember that next year .

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fair point. I was also thinking that the BS Petey is trying to shovel doesn't hold water. So he uses it in a game that is essentially over and meaningless. Now it seems he won't be able to pull it off so easily in a game that actually matters. Not buying the excuse Petey.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Plus the fact that Russell tried to throw a TD pass late in the game .
Yeah - I kinda thought whatever about trying to score deep in our end of the field. True that most coaches would just run out the clock as is probably wise in that situation. My biggest problem with that is that he gave a pissed off Donald another shot at his QB. You think there might be a reason most teams go into the victory formation?