Perspective from someone who used to cover the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@DJ GELNER

I covered the Rams daily during the "epic" 2011 campaign--Spagnuolo's last season--for insideSTL & 590 (at the time still all-sports).

Despite the awful record, despite the Politburo-like mindset of the old regime out there with regard to the media, despite the ridiculous answers we would get to reasonable questions, I absolutely loved it!

Keep in mind, a lot of times I was up early doing radio spots, researching the week's opponent, then would make the trip out to Rams Park, watch practice, and file a story afterward. Every day of the week (except Saturdays--I worked from home Tuesdays when it's the players' off-day during the season). And then I'd live blog the game on Sunday, wait around after to take interviews, write a post-game column, and have to be up early the next day to talk about the game on air.

If you do it properly, it's a lot of work.

There's a pretty crucial problem, though: no one wants to pay for that kind of coverage. At least when it comes to the Rams.

That season was a labor of love for me--a chance to live out a childhood dream. The pay was low. Really low. It was fine though--I figured with a good season and some exposure, I could start turning it into a more full-time gig the next year.

Then the Rams tanked, interest dwindled, the sponsors bailed on the Rams section, and I wasn't renewed. Not much you can do about that...

In fact, a number of guys covering the team for various outlets also weren't renewed, because quite simply, the money wasn't there. No one wanted to read about (or listen about, or watch about) a bottom-dweller, especially when eyeballs drive revenue.

Still, the TV guys go out there to get their clips. A lot of them moonlight on the radio, so they can discuss what they see out there on air, but each radio station still sends someone to get sound, as far as I know. Keep in mind that the way a radio schedule is arranged, the Rams usually practice across two shows, and don't allow media that arrives late to watch practice (though latecomers can still interview JF and players at the end), so it's tough for a lot of the daily radio show hosts to make it out there consistently.

As far as writing goes, though, it's basically the P-D, Nick writing for ESPN, one of the AP guys, and MAYBE a Fox Sports guy out there any given day. That's it.

Again, it would be great for an enterprising blogger to bootstrap things from the ground up and do it that way, but the NFL (and the Rams) are funny about giving out credentials to people who don't have a tie to an "established" media organization.

How much would you be willing to pay for the type of "in-depth" coverage that you want? Would you pay $20 a year to have someone (or a few people) cover the team day-in and day-out, all through the pre-season, season, and off-season? If so, you'd really only need to connect about 2,000 like-minded people (per reporter) and find some kind of a tie to a mainstream media outlet to do so...and I'd be happy to volunteer. :D

I do think JT, Nick, Tony and whoever else gets out there do a great job with what they're given in terms of resources and access to the team. Maybe I'm biased because I can "read between the lines" as far as what they're REALLY saying in any given instance, but I think any reasonable, perceptive person can do the same if you listen--really LISTEN--to what they're saying. They can't make it TOO "easy" on people, since being too direct can lead to sources drying up or spreading misinformation (thinking mostly about draft time here). But keep an eye out for subtext, tone, that sort of thing, and you'll start to notice patterns that you had never noticed before, and your knowledge about the team will skyrocket.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I guess it's understandable that the PD guys are ignoring the ota's for the most part! They're not open to the public and they're more like iintro to the NFL! I do expect them to have their butts there when training camp starts! Rams are making the move up this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lockdnram21

Legend
I guess it's understandable that the PD guys are ignoring the ota's for the most part! They're not open to the public and they're more like iintro to the NFL! I do expect them to have their butts there when training camp starts! Rams are making the move up this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will be there today and tomorrow

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I used to trade ideas with Gelner, and he wrote some great stuff about the Rams before. Very smart guy. I miss his stuff.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Whew that turned out better than I thought it would,I figured it was going to be a defense of Spags article and considering what that touches off

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Whew that turned out better than I thought it would,I figured it was going to be a defense of Spags article and considering what that touches off

Wait for it....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not a rebuild.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We just re-TOOLED, right?
That's the rumor.

UmI12LV.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rumor is that the tools are gone....

On another note, it was nice to hear and see Fisher's face when talking about Britt yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed, sounds like he had himself a very good day.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Rumor is that the tools are gone....

On another note, it was nice to hear and see Fisher's face when talking about Britt yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed, sounds like he had himself a very good day.
I missed that interview @DR RAM . Any chance you have a link?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'd have to say, I would be in for the $20. Being from outside the "STL" area, I crave real reports on the team. And not just from the overall flavor of the moment..... I get so sick of the constant rehashing of the same old gibberish, when no one really has any real news. It was great to hear that Sam is really @ the OTAs and participating to a certain extent......but anyone who has access to this board's wealth of knowledge wasn't really surprised to hear Jake Long wasn't, but they are expecting him (on a limited basis during training camp....) to be ready by game one....
Now I don't want things sugar coated, but I do like the vision you have of our team. You don't care to see anyone "prove it to YOU..." You just need to see results and sometimes results are in small steps. But bottom line, you are a fan, along with us.....a very knowledgable one....but you really enjoy the success the team has. You don't turn on a guy, if he doesn't live up to media expectations. You look within the game and see if contributions that don't show up within the stats. Too many start believing their own hype and try to equate that to expertise.... (We won't mention any "not welcome" journalists.....;)).
But if you would want to run w/ it....I'd be estatic.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
:hijack:

Listen to this and then try to get it out of your head.

@RamzFanz you should receive a 24 hour "timeout" for posting anything with Dale Hansen in it! I lived in the DFW area for 9 years and learned the mute button was my best friend anytime I saw his mug on TV. The man drives me crazy!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
@RamzFanz you should receive a 24 hour "timeout" for posting anything with Dale Hansen in it! I lived in the DFW area for 9 years and learned the mute button was my best friend anytime I saw his mug on TV. The man drives me crazy!!

I don't understand his world, but I do understand he's part of mine.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I second that emotion