Perhaps we're overthinking our O problems?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I mean, rather than continue to point out the myriad of player mistakes, why not just remove the elephant in the room?

It all starts at the top and everything flows downhill from there.

Sometimes, we just have to sit down and admit we've made a mistake. A mistake that can't be corrected other than by drastic means.

A career choice
A marriage
A house in the wrong neighborhood
A car that's proven to be a lemon
An organ transplant

You get the picture. Dainty halfway measures just won't do. Only way out is to cut the cord and start all over again from scratch.

I believe that we are at that point with Fisher. He will NEVER give us a playoff worthy O. We're kidding ourselves if we think that he will.

I would let him finish the season. Nothing to be gained by a symbolic firing in midseason.

But I would have instructed Demoff to start the HC search process long ago.

I predict that if the new HC has been properly vetted, we will be amazed by the "improvement" in our QB, OL, RB, WR, and TE play. IOW, there is already talent on board to produce respectable results. It's just not being properly developed and focused.

I will even go so far as to say that we could be a playoff team in '17 with these same O starters, other than the obvious replacement of Keenum with Goff. But not with Fisher. Gotta be a new sheriff in town.

I further believe that until Kroenke comes to the same conclusion about Fisher, we will continue to endlessly bumble along in this 7-9 BS wilderness.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well we are 3-4 now, and the schedule after the bye is about as good as it gets with four matchups that aren't too bad. So it ain't over yet for Fish. If they don't get through that next four before they start the stretch vs the Patriots and divisional opponents with a good record then yeah, it's curtains for Fish.

What Fish is going to need to get in order to succeed is two things IMO:

1. Consistent defensive production. Health will help, but regardless if this doesn't happen it's over.

2. Better line play. This will improve the run game numbers and also allow our game manager QB to get the job done enough for the W's to roll in.

Not gonna go down the Goff discussion route btw. The Fisherball approach can work if those two things happen. But yeah time is quickly running out.

KayJay

Starter
I actually agree with all of that. Minus the penalties and awful personnel decisions made by Fisher, I think this team is at least in the realm of being like the Bengals. Up and down, but never very far from playoff contention. Still a long season to go, but if this season ends with another disappointment; Fisher won't be fired because of this season. He will be fired for seasons of past for failing to make any noticeable improvement.

Like I said in another thread, he put all his eggs in a basket getting Keenum ready, and it will inevitably doom him. If we make the playoffs, Fisher will have bought himself a new contract; How likely is that to happen now? Starting Goff would of been safer option to save his job, don't know why he didn't do it. Now if we don't make the playoffs and Goff starts anything less than 5 games this season Kronke will let him go. Foolish on Fishers part, really stupid even. His job is now tied to Keenum, a career NFL back up.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sadly, 43, I fear you are right, but it pains me to think about starting all over again with a new HC, his assistants, coordinators, scheme, playbook and terminology. It would be starting all over again and waiting another 3 to 5 years for the Rams players to digest it all. Since Martz, Rams HC,OC, and DC has been a revolving door.

Like I said in another thread, Kroenke will give Fisher an extension based on having not seen Goff yet. Kroenke will evaluate Fisher AFTER Goff has enough starts to see if the team improves.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sadly, 43, I fear you are right, but it pains me to think about starting all over again with a new HC, his assistants, coordinators, scheme, playbook and terminology. It would be starting all over again and waiting another 3 to 5 years for the Rams players to digest it all. Since Martz, Rams HC,OC, and DC has been a revolving door.

Like I said in another thread, Kroenke will give Fisher an extension based on having not seen Goff yet. Kroenke will evaluate Fisher AFTER Goff has enough starts to see if the team improves.

I hear you, bubba.

I'm not crazy about having to start all over again, myself. I wish Fisher had worked out for us.

But it won't be like the last restart. This is now a solid roster, if properly utilized.

In fact, it's a dream assignment for an incoming HC, whether he's a vet or a rookie HC.

The Rams should have first pick of the cream of the crop among the candidates.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the new guy won 10-11 games in '17. Hell, maybe even more. All he would have to do is stop losing winnable games to do that. That's not too high a bar, is it?

I think we've all been guilty of setting our sights too low after 12 years of incompetence.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Starting Goff would of been safer option to save his job, don't know why he didn't do it. Now if we don't make the playoffs and Goff starts anything less than 5 games this season Kronke will let him go. Foolish on Fishers part, really stupid even. His job is now tied to Keenum, a career NFL back up.

IMO Fisher genuinely believes what he is doing with Keenum is the right thing for Goff's long term career success. I think Fish is a good man who has put the kid and what's good for him first, over and above his concern for his own reputation or job. Problem is I think he has underestimated Jared and has overestimated Keenum, and yeah he's gonna be the one who pays the price.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams roster was worse than an expansion team when Fisher took over. Expansion teams start with all new players and don't have to expunge all the detritus. it used to be if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football for good.
Rams are much improved throughout the 53. teams are picking up Ram cuts. A new coach has something to work with. A Shanahan, Gruden or Billicheck might be licking their chops to get another chance with a team like the Rams.
Even so, it WILL take time for the players to asimiliate

ram007

Starter
Case Keenum is a good enough starter if Rams can play disciplined defense like Seahawks. But they are not that good.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
I would say starting a QB with one of the lowest QBR in the league and having more interceptions than touchdowns is definitely a problem.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would say starting a QB with one of the lowest QBR in the league and having more interceptions than touchdowns is definitely a problem.

Also, the only one in the league who as more than one pick six.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want to see what happens the 1st 4 games after the Bye before I make up my mind on Fisher!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think the O would be improved all around if coach Groh were the OC. We all see that the WRs are much improved, remember the last 4 yrs no WR could get open ever, we see them running free this season, if only we had someone with a cannon that could get the ball to them. Groh had to know the run side of the O prior to being named Rams passing game coordinator and he appears to have the ability to teach and get results with the WRs, I'd be willing to bet it would work with other O position groups as well.

Fishers best chance would be to have a solid OC forced upon him and let the OC do what he feels the Rams O needs to do to be successful, not what Fisher wants them to do, but what the OC wants to do.