Penalties...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im so sick the NFL doing everything they can to complicate the game even more every year. The game is evolving to the point where player safety has becoming a big concern, and the NFL is really trying to take away players leading with their head, but why is it only ok for RBs?? They keep adding rules that makes the refs job really tough. We see so many different flags thrown at defenders for the way they tackle and the way they hit QBs. On top of that, we get to see replays in slow motion that will make the refs call look even worse. The plays tend to happen pretty fast, and lately ive been noticing how the refs react to the result of the play instead of the play itself and going on what their eyes see. How many times do we see a WR complain after a play is over or they just throw up their arms to make it look like PI and the refs react to that result. I know we complain about the refs every year, but the nfl isnt exactly making things easier by constantly coming up with very difficult rules to follow. The rules are becoming so one-sided in favor of the offense. Oh and get rid of the defensive PI when the ball is placed at the spot of the foul. Id rather see it be the same as the college rule. 15 yards. Thats good enough.

Im also pretty upset at the NFL not fining the Harbaugh and Schwartz for their confrontation after the game. Players get fined for just abou everything and all the NFL does for the coaches now is SEND OUT A MEMO?? Thats it? The message it sends to the rest of the league is coaches can get away with just about anything as long as no punches are thrown but players will continue to get fined for wrong color mouth guards or opting not to be mic'd up for a game.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Id also like to say that I have no problem with the NFL changing things to protect players. I just dont like how they have handled it. Heres some things they could start doing:

1. Send people to training camps to oversee tackling drills and preach leading with your shoulder and not your helmet. Ive never played contact football, so I cant say I know much about tackling techniques.

2. Is a penalty really necessary? Think about it. We dont have to really punish the defense during the game by making them give up extra yards for a tackle that was penalized. Its such a gray area figuring out whats a legal tackle especially when you factor in the speed of the game. Shouldnt the NFL just be focusing on punishing the player? Its just such a controversial rule.

Anonymous

The rules have changed so much as to make records meaningless. Happens to some degree in all sports but football has overdone it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What pisses me off is that if there is no fuckin consistency in the rules. I thought the rule was that it's a roughing if any part of the hand so much as touches the head/helmet. But then that Charger player runs into Bradford's helmet with his own fuckin helmet...no flag!! I'm still pissed about this one:

BROKEN.jpg

This was when Ngata basically threw his entire arm into Roethlisberger's helmet...nothing was called. I was about to hurl my t.v. out the fuckin window.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Most of the new "safety" rules have been instituted to insure player safety AND to protect the investments of the owners... Follow the $
It's Big Business so the "spirit of the game" is not the only consideration.

The rules ARE getting confusing as a result of these new tweaks. :boing:

They should bring back that thing they used to run during commercials years ago called - "You Make The Call"
I think it was IBM that did it. They would show you a short clip of a football play, and then ask you to make the call... another commercial would come on giving you time to consider what you think the proper call should be... then they'd come back and show the same clip explaining what and why the correct call was.

It was very helpful with learning the NFL Rules. Fun to participate in as well. Anybody else remember that :?:

Anonymous

Selassie I said:
Most of the new "safety" rules have been instituted to insure player safety AND to protect the investments of the owners... Follow the $

They should bring back that thing they used to run during commercials years ago called - "You Make The Call"
I think it was IBM that did it. They would show you a short clip of a football play, and then ask you to make the call... another commercial would come on giving you time to consider what you think the proper call should be... then they'd come back and show the same clip explaining what and why the correct call was.

It was very helpful with learning the NFL Rules. Fun to participate in as well. Anybody else remember that :?:

I remember my dad telling me about that. :sly:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
What pisses me off is that if there is no freakin consistency in the rules. I thought the rule was that it's a roughing if any part of the hand so much as touches the head/helmet. But then that Charger player runs into Bradford's helmet with his own freakin helmet...no flag!! I'm still pissed about this one:

BROKEN.jpg

This was when Ngata basically threw his entire arm into Roethlisberger's helmet...nothing was called. I was about to hurl my t.v. out the freakin window.

And then its dumb when the refs immediately do a "make-up" call right after that. A chargers player was called for Roughing on the very next play and you immediately knew why the refs did it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:

Yeah, I loved that. The voice was the great Harry Kalas.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What a relief to hear that squeak's dad and I aren't the only ones who are old enough to remember -

"IBM presents YOU MAKE THE CALL"
:bahumbug:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
What pisses me off is that if there is no freakin consistency in the rules. I thought the rule was that it's a roughing if any part of the hand so much as touches the head/helmet. But then that Charger player runs into Bradford's helmet with his own freakin helmet...no flag!! I'm still pissed about this one:

BROKEN.jpg

This was when Ngata basically threw his entire arm into Roethlisberger's helmet...nothing was called. I was about to hurl my t.v. out the freakin window.

And then its dumb when the refs immediately do a "make-up" call right after that. A chargers player was called for Roughing on the very next play and you immediately knew why the refs did it.

Dude that happened this year too! Ahh yeah, the Ravens game!

Hmm why do the refs seem to favor the Ravens. Conspiracy!

:what:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Selassie I said:

Yeah, I remember those all too well. Seems like yesterday. I loved those and learned a lot.

Like, you can throw a forward pass on a kickoff.
Or, you can get a free kick after a fair catch.
And, you can drop-kick for a FG

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, there's somebody out there who remembers it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDaosJJXINU[/youtube]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good find there X. You can tell how old that was when you see IBM advertising that POS computer. Ha!

Those were great commercials though. My friends and I would make some bets sometimes on those,,, good stuff.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Good find there X. You can tell how old that was when you see IBM advertising that POS computer. Ha!

Those were great commercials though. My friends and I would make some bets sometimes on those,,, good stuff.
Yeah I remember them well, and used to look forward to them every week. There were a few no-brainers, but they did give you a better understanding of the rules. It'd be cool if Apple would do something like that now with all the special effects and CGI available to them now.

BTW - you have a PM waiting for you over there. :hehe:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
Selassie I said:

Yeah I remember them well, and used to look forward to them every week. There were a few no-brainers, but they did give you a better understanding of the rules. It'd be cool if Apple would do something like that now with all the special effects and CGI available to them now.

BTW - you have a PM waiting for you over there. :hehe:
:ahight: