Penalties less about bounties; more about a new NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doug Farrar over at Yahoo Sports wrote:

The severe suspensions and fines handed out to several current and former Saints coaches and executives -- this was the atomic bomb Goodell had been waiting for. Goodell and the league know full well, and for a good long time, that players were being paid under the table for tackles meant to injure opponents at a level that would have those opponents out of games entirely.

"Beyond the clear and continuing violations of league rules, and lying to investigators, the bounty program is squarely contrary to the league's most important initiatives — enhancing player health and safety and protecting the integrity of the game," Goodell said in his Wednesday statement announcing the penalties. "Let me be clear. There is no place in the NFL for deliberately seeking to injure another player, let alone offering a reward for doing so. Any form of bounty is incompatible with our commitment to create a culture of sportsmanship, fairness, and safety. Programs of this kind have no place in our game and we are determined that bounties will no longer be a part of the NFL."

That's good league-speak, but [hil]the Saints got in the way of a higher imperative[/hil]. Just as Major League Baseball Commissioners Kenesaw Mountain Landis and A. Bartlett Giamatti did in the Chicago Black Sox and Pete Rose cases, and just as NBA Commissioner David Stern did in the Tim Donaghy case, Goodell was able to exact the most severe punishment possible because he had three things in his favor: [hil]a desperate need to end something rotten in his sport, a mandate for change (whether external of self-invented), and an easy target (or series of targets) on which to drop that bomb.[/hil] And if you think that players betting on baseball and crooked zebras are more dangerous to a league than a bunch of coaches acting like Jon Voight in Varsity Blues, stay tuned. There are moral and ethical tripwires in what the Saints did, and that is at the very heart of what Goodell is trying to destroy by any means necessary.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
All through the years, I've heard of players using the bottom of the pile to get away with dirty deeds. Leg pulling, arm twisting, neck punching, crotch grabbing (I remember an anecdote about Patriots' LB Vrabel squeezing). Does Goodell really think he's going to stop that?

Sure, he'll end the institutionalized stuff like bounties, but the individuals? There's a level of meanness to the game of football, and without it, the game would be rather tame.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
All through the years, I've heard of players using the bottom of the pile to get away with dirty deeds. Leg pulling, arm twisting, neck punching, crotch grabbing (I remember an anecdote about Patriots' LB Vrabel squeezing). Does Goodell really think he's going to stop that?

Sure, he'll end the institutionalized stuff like bounties, but the individuals? There's a level of meanness to the game of football, and without it, the game would be rather lame.

There - I fixed that for you. :sly:

I'm not saying that paying (or planning for that matter as in the case with the Whiners against the Giants just this past playoff) to injure players should ever be acceptable. It's just that if we go to the point of protecting against every vicious hit, soon players will play hesitant and the game will start becoming bland. I would also dare say that most players didn't get into the game and go even as far as college because they liked to watch a ball fly through the air or watch a guy run down the field.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Ram Quixote said:

Sure, he'll end the institutionalized stuff like bounties, but the individuals? There's a level of meanness to the game of football, and without it, the game would be rather lame.

There - I fixed that for you. :sly:

I'm not saying that paying (or planning for that matter as in the case with the Whiners against the Giants just this past playoff) to injure players should ever be acceptable. It's just that if we go to the point of protecting against every vicious hit, soon players will play hesitant and the game will start becoming bland. I would also dare say that most players didn't get into the game and go even as far as college because they liked to watch a ball fly through the air or watch a guy run down the field.
Tame = lame. :yessir:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
You know, Goodell said he gave such stiff penalties, because of something along the lines of "to keep the integrity of the game". Well when the Patriots cheated, they didn't get nearly the penalty. Hell, Belichek didn't even get suspended. He didn't miss even one team meeting. Where was his "integrity" then?

I think the Saints and Williams could make the argument about this when they appeal the decision.