Pederson endorses Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...s-the-starter-its-unbelievable-what-hes-done/

Give Sam Bradford credit. Despite his status in the league as a consistently inconsistent quarterback, he's somehow managed to dominate the offseason headlines. So far, most of those stories have been tilted against Bradford, as his mini holdout in the aftermath of the Eagles trading for the No. 2 overall pick and drafting Carson Wentz wasn't well received.

This week, though, Bradford received a bundle of praise from his head coach, Doug Pederson. Once again, Pederson reiterated that Bradford -- not Wentz -- is his starting quarterback. Apparently, Bradford's been "unbelievable" so far.

"I think he's really done a nice job and taken that next step to be the leader of this football team and be the starter, and he's done a good job there," Pederson said, via the team's website. "I look at what Sam's done, and he's taken this thing and run with it. It's unbelievable what he's done. I'm so excited about the direction he's going, and the stuff that he's doing on the field right now are the things that I expected and what I saw at the end of the season last year from Sam Bradford. And my message has always been, 'Don't look over your shoulder, look forward,' and that's what he's done. He's embraced it."

Pederson added that the huddle belongs to Bradford.

"One is leadership. The fact that he's embraced that huddle. It's his huddle. He steps in every day when we get ready to compete and he's aggressive with the guys in the huddle and that's great to see from your leader and from your quarterback," Pederson said. "The way he has anticipated throws, his accuracy on throws, how well he sees the field. He throws a nice ball, a nice, deep ball. Things like that have really made him the guy that I knew he was. Those are things that are exciting, finishing up our offseason and getting ready for camp."

Pederson's comments come a week after both of his top assistants refuted the idea that Bradford is the unquestioned starter, with offensive coordinator Frank Reich saying, "To say that there's not competition, that's just the furthest thing from the truth." Then, NJ.com reported that Wentz was ahead of Bradford in terms of learning the offense.

Still, Pederson is sticking with Bradford, which actually makes sense. Bradford isn't a top player, but he's a fine bridge quarterback. Though some pegged Wentz as the top quarterback in the draft, his experience is limited, which means he might need more time to adjust to the speed and difficulties the NFL presents. The Eagles aren't expected to compete for a playoff spot this season, so they're in no rush to play Wentz.

Here's what that means for Bradford: He has no shot to remain in Philadelphia for the long-term, but he'll be given the chance to audition for the rest of the league. If Bradford compiles a solid season, someone else will give him a chance to start.

Whether Bradford can actually do that remains to be seen. His career passer rating rests at 81.0, and he hasn't played in a full season since 2012.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, sometimes an endorsement is the kiss of death so we'll have to see how this plays out.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Every single year of his football life, he's had the most talented arm of any of his peers. That's never been a question. The dude can hit a penny on the ground from 60 yards away. It's the rest of his game that's questionable. And that's why they drafted Wentz.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Eagles did the right thing by getting Wentz. However, they didn't know if they could or would move up for him in the draft when they signed Sam. They gave a lot of money to Chase too. They should have been open to trading Bradford after drafting Wentz. That is the part of this that doesn't make a lot of sense. Philly is not going to get to the Super bowl, much less the playoffs. Anyone who has watched Sam over the years knows that he is not taking a weak team to the big game.

I wonder if they fielded offers for Sam at some point and found that they were less than a third round pick. They may be banking on him netting them a third round comp pick if he goes somewhere to start.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Eagles aren't expected to compete for a playoff spot this season, so they're in no rush to play Wentz.
I seriously doubt the Eagles' staff has resigned themselves to the idea that they're not going to compete for a playoff spot.
That just sounds dumb.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yawn. Bradford has always looked "incredible" in a red camp jersey.