Pead’s Promise Should Bear More Fruit for This Year’s Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Anthony Stalter

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/19/peads-promise-should-bear-more-fruit-for-rams-this-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/19/pea ... this-year/</a>

At some point between the moment he was selected with the 50th overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft and the end of his rookie campaign, Isaiah Pead lost his confidence.

In an April interview with the University of Cincinnati’s official website, Pead admitted that his rookie season was “miserable.” He talked about sitting alone in his house and throwing a tennis ball up against the wall, lonely and frustrated by failing to make an impact in his first year in the pros.

After averaging 5.3 yards per carry with 1,259 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns as a senior at Cincinnati, his rookie season with the Rams didn’t exactly go as planned. Due to a late graduation, Pead missed OTAs and then watched as seventh-rounder Daryl Richardson outperformed him during the preseason. While Pead was tentative and overwhelmed, Richardson was decisive and eager. This led to Pead gaining just 54 yards on 10 carries for the season.

But despite his lack of production, there’s plenty to love about Pead heading into his sophomore year. First and foremost, graduation won’t keep him from attending OTAs, so there’s no excuse for him to start slowly this summer. He also doesn’t have to worry about the face of the franchise being leery of taking his job.

Back in July of last year, Steven Jackson made it clear on PFT Live that he wouldn’t be too pleased if the Rams attempted to make Pead a big part of their offense. Said Jackson, “I actually see him being a backup. If it’s the way I want it, to continue to live out the legacy of my career, I will continue to be the workhorse. He can relieve me at times during the game, or when we need a change of pace against the defense.”

Did Jackson have a negative impact on Pead’s development? It wouldn’t be fair to speculate. Besides, the only person Pead has to blame for his lack of production is himself. Whether Jackson ignored him or treated him like a long-lost brother is irrelevant. The bottom line is that Richardson took his opportunities and ran with them. Pead didn’t.

Still, production is as much about opportunity as it is talent. And with Jackson now in Atlanta, there shouldn’t be a shortage of opportunities for both Pead and Richardson.

Pead is the perfect fit for the offense that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have been building the past two offseasons. The additions of Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey show the Rams’ desire to spread the field. Fisher knows that the key to any offense is balance, and the Rams will still run the ball plenty. But he’s also not blind to the fact that the NFL has become a space game; if you don’t have playmakers that can create in the open field, your offense will be limited.

The smallish Pead won’t be able to continuously pound the ball between the tackles. That’s not his game. His strengths lie in his quickness, speed and ability to create in the open field. That’s why Fisher and Snead drafted him in the second round last year, and that’s what they hope to highlight in 2013.

The idea is to spread opponents out and make them pick their poison. A healthy and upright Sam Bradford should be able to accurately get the ball to his assortment of weapons in the passing game. And with the defense back on its heels, Pead should have the necessary space to do his thing. It’s just a matter of him putting the past behind him and keeping his bright future in focus.

This offseason the Rams had every opportunity to re-sign Jackson, or draft a potential workhorse back like Eddie Lacy with one of their first-round picks. They opted to do neither.

The Rams’ confidence in Pead remains. If his returns, then don’t be surprised if he’s on the verge of a breakout season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Pead’s Promise Should Bear More Fruit for This Year’s Ra

Don't put the ball on the ground, it's that simple. Last season in pre-season Pead fumbled against the Colts and lost his confidence. Add another fumble on a kick off return during the regular season and you could tell he started to question his ability.

The Rams did an excellent job gaining his confidence back by bringing him in on passing downs and giving a few runs here & there and towards the end of the season, Pead seem to regain that swagger. So if he's able to hang on to the ball and make plays early I believe that will transcend into the regular season and IMO the Rams are a better team with Pead than without him.

nighttrain

Legend

Rams did what I thot they would do, drafted a running back at the back end of the draft. But to me least, Pead #1 going into camp
train

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

den-the-coach said:
Don't put the ball on the ground, it's that simple. Last season in pre-season Pead fumbled against the Colts and lost his confidence. Add another fumble on a kick off return during the regular season and you could tell he started to question his ability.

The Rams did an excellent job gaining his confidence back by bringing him in on passing downs and giving a few runs here & there and towards the end of the season, Pead seem to regain that swagger. So if he's able to hang on to the ball and make plays early I believe that will transcend into the regular season and IMO the Rams are a better team with Pead than without him.

Thanks for bringing those up... I'd forgotten about his early fumbles.

TomSlick

UDFA

We've got 4 horses in the corral. Preseason should be fun to see how these guys play and how they are utilized. I wouldn't mind seeing a running back by committee. Pound the rock, with fresh legs, into the Defense. Air it out with our speedy receivers...damn, this could be fun.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

den-the-coach said:

That's my biggest fear with Pead, because he had issues in college. He needs to learn how to carry the ball better & more consistently or we could lose a handful of possessions next year. That fumble against SF is one of the dumbest decisions I've seen by a Ram in the past few years

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

By Anthony Stalter

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/19/peads-promise-should-bear-more-fruit-for-rams-this-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/19/pea ... this-year/</a>

At some point between the moment he was selected with the 50th overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft and the end of his rookie campaign, Isaiah Pead lost his confidence.

In an April interview with the University of Cincinnati’s official website, Pead admitted that his rookie season was “miserable.” He talked about sitting alone in his house and throwing a tennis ball up against the wall, lonely and frustrated by failing to make an impact in his first year in the pros.

After averaging 5.3 yards per carry with 1,259 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns as a senior at Cincinnati, his rookie season with the Rams didn’t exactly go as planned. Due to a late graduation, Pead missed OTAs and then watched as seventh-rounder Daryl Richardson outperformed him during the preseason. While Pead was tentative and overwhelmed, Richardson was decisive and eager. This led to Pead gaining just 54 yards on 10 carries for the season.

But despite his lack of production, there’s plenty to love about Pead heading into his sophomore year. First and foremost, graduation won’t keep him from attending OTAs, [hil]so there’s no excuse for him to start slowly[/hil] this summer. He also doesn’t have to worry about the face of the franchise being leery of taking his job.

Back in July of last year, Steven Jackson made it clear on PFT Live that he wouldn’t be too pleased if the Rams attempted to make Pead a big part of their offense. Said Jackson, “I actually see him being a backup. If it’s the way I want it, to continue to live out the legacy of my career, I will continue to be the workhorse. He can relieve me at times during the game, or when we need a change of pace against the defense.”

Did Jackson have a negative impact on Pead’s development? It wouldn’t be fair to speculate. Besides, the only person Pead has to blame for his lack of production is himself. Whether Jackson ignored him or treated him like a long-lost brother is irrelevant. The bottom line is that Richardson took his opportunities and ran with them. Pead didn’t.

Still, production is as much about opportunity as it is talent. And with Jackson now in Atlanta, there shouldn’t be a shortage of opportunities for both Pead and Richardson.

Pead is the perfect fit for the offense that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have been building the past two offseasons. The additions of Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey show the Rams’ desire to spread the field. Fisher knows that the key to any offense is balance, and the Rams will still run the ball plenty. But he’s also not blind to the fact that the NFL has become a space game; if you don’t have playmakers that can create in the open field, your offense will be limited.

The smallish Pead won’t be able to continuously pound the ball between the tackles. That’s not his game. His strengths lie in his quickness, speed and ability to create in the open field. That’s why Fisher and Snead drafted him in the second round last year, and that’s what they hope to highlight in 2013.

The idea is to spread opponents out and make them pick their poison. A healthy and upright Sam Bradford should be able to accurately get the ball to his assortment of weapons in the passing game. And with the defense back on its heels, Pead should have the necessary space to do his thing. It’s just a matter of him putting the past behind him and keeping his bright future in focus.

This offseason the Rams had every opportunity to re-sign Jackson, or draft a potential workhorse back like Eddie Lacy with one of their first-round picks. They opted to do neither.

The Rams’ confidence in Pead remains. If his returns, then don’t be surprised if he’s on the verge of a breakout season.
Why do these guys use such negative phrasing? Why not say, "so there should be nothing holding him back ..."

So tired of the "no excuse" line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Ram Quixote said:
Why do these guys use such negative phrasing? Why not say, "so there should be nothing holding him back ..."

So tired of the "no excuse" line.
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. It's as if they could do better and are tired of someone else getting the benefit of the doubt when all it would take would be for THEM to step in and take over. So easy to speak from a position of higher authority like that, yeah? lol.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

I remember hearing Fisher saying he goes by feel during the game considering on who gets the ball. If all three of these guys can bring something to the table it will be a luxury this year.

I'm really hoping Pead pans out. I would love for him to have a monster camp/offseason. If I was him instead of going home to get away from football, I would've gone back to relearn my love for it and trained my ass off in Cincinnati. I'm not saying he hasn't been, but I hope by the time camp starts this kid is ready to knock it outta the fucking park. We're gonna need him this year.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

iBruce said:
den-the-coach said:

Thanks for bringing those up... I'd forgotten about his early fumbles.
It wasn't just the fumbles, Pead spent most of his time running along the line of scrimmage looking for a clue. :bummed:

TomSlick

UDFA

rams24/7 said:
den-the-coach said:

That's my biggest fear with Pead, because he had issues in college. He needs to learn how to carry the ball better & more consistently or we could lose a handful of possessions next year. That fumble against SF is one of the dumbest decisions I've seen by a Ram in the past few years

I realize the list is long, but the first bonehead play that popped into my mind was the opening kickoff against the Niners, at the 'stick, and the RAMS' return man (Johnson or Jackson, some JAG) caught the ball at the 1 yard line and then promptly stepped out of bounds. Brilliant. Opening drive of the game and we start at the 1. I think this was Martz's last year as HC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Pead's running style 2012:

batman-bomb.gif

nighttrain

Legend

We had SJ last season, now we don't. Sumpin gonna happen, eh. Pead has the talents to do it, time will tell
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think Pead can do it. I expect Pead to be our feature back.

But, we've got some REAL competition and this oline is going to open some holes for these guys. In other words... I expect several of them to do well and this will be a close decision.