Pead could learn a lot about press relations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/7/9/4504818/isaiah-pead-st-louis-rams-2013-roster-battles-jeff-fisher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/7/9/4 ... eff-fisher</a>
Isaiah Pead could learn a lot about press relations from Jeff Fisher
The Rams second-year running back got a lesson in context this summer. It could have been avoided.

Remember that story out of Cincinnati about Isaiah Pead being miserable and spending most of his rookie seasonwith the St. Louis Rams throwing a tennis ball against the wall? Yeah, well, it turns out that was a little exaggerated, according to Isaiah Pead.

From a profile last week at SI.com:

"kind of exaggerated. As a competitor, you want to play. That's the bottom line. You want to be out there contributing, and that wasn't happening for me. It was just a down feeling, not necessarily the whole year. [The reporter] kind of told me to describe last year in a word, and I couldn't find another word [than miserable]."

I get that. It's a very reasonable point Pead makes here.

However, there's something worth pointing out to the second-year running back: If you don't want to see it in print, DON'T SAY IT.

To his credit, Pead does a solid job of explaining his situation, albeit a few months too late.

"When football is your life, and football is your job, and football's not going right, your life's not going to go right, feeling-wise. My life's great. I have a great family, a loving family at home [Ohio], a nice house [in St. Louis] with a great neighborhood, great people. It's just that the football aspect wasn't going as planned."

Again, this is exactly what Pead should have said the first time around. And nobody being interviewed is under any obligation to sum up an experience as diverse as your rookie season in the NFL in JUST ONE WORD. Think about it.

That way we don't have to listen to deejays say stupid things like "put him out of his misery."

Lesson No. 2 for Pead, and anyone else who makes this mistake: Take your lumps. Don't complain about being misquoted or having a quote taken out of context.

This is press relations 101. Coaches and GMs, most of them, understand that, and it's why most press conferences are a dull exercise in recital. (Not every team has its message so dutifully carried by a local press corps either). Spagnuolo said the same thing every time the Rams lost. Fisher has the smarts and experience to make his talking points sound like they mean something, even when they don't.

Let's take an example from Fisher, something he said about Pead.

"When he carried in games, he was very impressive," Fisher said. "He stayed 'up and alive' and was ready to play here and there in games in different packages."

So impressive, in fact, that the Rams only used him for 10 carries all season. You see the cognitive dissonance here.

Then again, there's no doubting that Fisher's words are sincere to some extent. Being "impressive" can still mean he wasn't as "impressive" as the other Rams running backs at that point in time.

And really, what's a coach supposed to say? The Rams invested a second-round pick in Pead; they need him to contribute. Which brings us to another coach speak trope:

"At this point, just keep doing what he's been doing," Fisher said. "He's had a great offseason program so far. He's working hard, he's in really good shape, he's continuing to battle. But there's great competition, he also understands."

There you go. Fisher sets up his player with more encouraging words without guaranteeing anything, pointing to a stiff competition for carries in this offense.

Lesson learned ... hopefully.

nighttrain

Legend
it was an interview i'm sure Pead wishes he could have a do-over.
alls well that ends well, and we will see how it ends
train

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He breaks off a 70 yard TD early in the year...nobody will care about that interview at all.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IOW, " time to put on yer big boy pants" or take off the diapers" or "so called super star" wouldn't be Fisheresque?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Imagine that. A rookie RB is less savvy than a 19 year head coach. Whoda thunk. Maybe the media ought to learn about public relations and not trying to screw over people under the guise of using "their own words". Just a thought.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't really seem an issue... He wanted to play, he wasn't playing, it bummed him out... The Kings former backup goalie, Bernier, got traded a few weeks ago and he said he was also miserable in LA, because he was the backup to the best goalie in the world... So he knew that no matter how good he was, he was still going to sit.... So it bummed him out and made him miserable... Even though he won the Stanley Cup, he wanted to start, not ride the bench. That's what athletes do.

I don't think it means anything bad against Pead, it just means he wants to play. Bernier worked hard to earn a starting job (not in LA obviously), and he got it... That's what Pead has to do, if he works hard he'll get his playing time... I'm not worried about him right now, I think he'll shock a lot of people.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
I don't really seem an issue... He wanted to play, he wasn't playing, it bummed him out... The Kings former backup goalie, Bernier, got traded a few weeks ago and he said he was also miserable in LA, because he was the backup to the best goalie in the world... So he knew that no matter how good he was, he was still going to sit.... So it bummed him out and made him miserable... Even though he won the Stanley Cup, he wanted to start, not ride the bench. That's what athletes do.

I don't think it means anything bad against Pead, it just means he wants to play. Bernier worked hard to earn a starting job (not in LA obviously), and he got it... That's what Pead has to do, if he works hard he'll get his playing time... I'm not worried about him right now, I think he'll shock a lot of people.

Sounds about right.