PD: Who's on the Rams shopping list?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/who-s-on-the-rams-free-agent-shopping-list/article_7a2ba221-959d-53cb-b738-a4d4e76de295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... de295.html</a>

The Rams would have to pay premium prices for any of these blue-chip free agents:

LT JAKE LONG, Miami
The four-time Pro Bowler and No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft is coming off left triceps surgery, and also has had biceps, shoulder and knee issues over his NFL career. But a healthy Long, 27, is among the league’s best. We could be talking $8-10 million a year.

WR MIKE WALLACE, Pittsburgh
Wallace, 26, is a one-trick pony, but it’s one heck of a trick. Speed to burn. Speed to blow the top off secondaries and speed to deliver big plays. But it almost certainly will take $11 million plus a year to get him, and he’s been known to mope when not getting the ball.

FS DASHON GOLDSON, San Francisco
Can be a ferocious hitter, but can make plays in coverage, too. Signing him has an added bonus because it weakens a division rival. But Goldson, 28, is said to be looking for as much as $8 million a year, and the Rams probably won’t sink that much money into a safety.

TE JARED COOK, Tennessee
So far, his production hasn’t meshed with his potential, but this a big body (6-5, 248) that is faster than a lot of wide receivers. Signing Cook, 25, who played two seasons for Jeff Fisher with the Titans, could ameliorate things if the Rams don’t get the wideout help they need. Looking for $6 million-plus.

OTHER OPTIONS
The best of the rest — some will come cheaper than others:

• OFFENSIVE TACKLE

RT SEBASTIAN VOLLMER, New England:
Ascending player on underrated line.

RT PHIL LOADHOLT, Minnesota:
Massive mauler, not a bad pass blocker.

LT JERMON BUSHROD, New Orleans:
Under the radar for Pro Bowler, 4-year starter.

RT ANDRE SMITH, Cincinnati:
Wants big payday after one good season.

• TIGHT END

MARTELLUS BENNETT, NY Giants:
Coming off career year (55 for 625).

FRED DAVIS, Washington:
Could be bargain after Achilles’ injury.

TONY GONZALEZ, Atlanta:
Falcons trying to talk out of retirement.

DUSTIN KELLER, NY Jets:
Skilled pass-catcher played for “Schotty.”

• WIDE RECEIVER

WES WELKER, New England:
Still the gold standard for slot WRs.

GREG JENNINGS, Green Bay:
Coming off injury and turning 30.

• OFFENSIVE GUARD:

ANDY LEVITRE, Buffalo:
Star of this free-agent class.

LOUIS VASQUEZ, San Diego:
Big, tough, but in the garage a lot.

BRANDON MOORE, NY Jets:
More to him than the “Butt-fumble.”

• RUNNING BACK

AMHAD BRADSHAW, NY Giants:
Very good when healthy.

REGGIE BUSH, Miami:
No more than a skilled role player.

RASHARD MENDENHALL, Pittsburgh:
Talented, but enigmatic.

SHONN GREENE, NY Jets:
Nothing flashy, but a grinder.

• SAFETY

WILLIAM MOORE, Atlanta:
Aggressive playmaker, some injury issues.

GLOVER QUIN, Houston:
Has coverage skills; Texans trying to keep.

LOUIS DELMAS, Detroit:
Reunion with new coordinator Tim Walton?

PATRICK CHUNG, New England:
Could be cheaper alternative.

KENNY PHILLIPS, NY Giants:
Injury issues. Played for Rams new defensive coordinator Walton in college.

• RETURNERS
(Some names for Rams to consider)
JOSHUA CRIBBS, Cleveland
TED GINN JR., San Francisco
LEODIS McKELVIN, Buffalo
BRANDON Taint, Cincinnati

RAMS FREE AGENTS
• WR Danny Amendola

• QB Kellen Clemens

• S Craig Dahl

• CB Bradley Fletcher

• WR Brandon Gibson

• LB Mario Haggan

• DE William Hayes

• RB Steven Jackson

• DT Trevor Laws

• LB Rocky Mcintosh

• OT Barry Richardson

• WR Steve Smith

• C/G Rob Turner

• T/G Chris Williams
Follow

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would consider Louis Delmas and Phil Loadholt a serious free agency haul.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

I'd like to snag Loadholt. Feels like he is being a bit overvalued tho. Will be interesting to see what he fetches on the market. He is strictly a RT.

My top S is Kenny Phillips. He has a top tier talent and could be had cheaply because of his knee injury. If he passes the physical, he could be a real diamond in the rough.

We need to get a deal done with William Hayes ASAP

jap

Legend
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:

I'd like to snag Loadholt. Feels like he is being a bit overvalued tho. Will be interesting to see what he fetches on the market. He is strictly a RT.

My top S is Kenny Phillips. He has a top tier talent and could be had cheaply because of his knee injury. If he passes the physical, he could be a real diamond in the rough.

We need to get a deal done with William Hayes ASAP

Yep, I love Kenny too. I wonder who ex-DB's Fish and Cecil Cooper see as their favorite safety candidates?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
CGI_Ram said:

Agreed.

I think they would fit nicely.

duckhunter

Starter
I've always wondered if it was a requirement to be lazy and stupid to be a writer for the PD or it just was coincidence that their writers knew little about football and had no foresight.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
duckhunter said:
I've always wondered if it was a requirement to be lazy and stupid to be a writer for the PD or it just was coincidence that their writers knew little about football and had no foresight.
I actually think JT writes things deliberately. I don't think he would list some of those guys unless he heard from some sources in the organization that the Rams actually had some interest in them. Some of those seem obvious, but JT does his homework.

duckhunter

Starter
brokeu91 said:
duckhunter said:
I actually think JT writes things deliberately. I don't think he would list some of those guys unless he heard from some sources in the organization that the Rams actually had some interest in them. Some of those seem obvious, but JT does his homework.

He doesn't have an original thought in his mind or body. There's not much chance we go after Long or Wallace so why put them at the top of a so called "Rams" shopping list. We don't even sniff those guys. Now if you wanted to make a case for Goldson or Cook I could read that. I don't think we sniff Welker or Jennings either. Yeah, sure, Gonzalez is high on Snisher's shopping list. I don't call that doing your homework. So what's the point?

I call it sensationalizing FA with nonsense and trying to lure people back to his hot stuff. I used to read his question and answer pieces until I noticed he never strayed far from the middle of the road. Occasionally, he has some inside info and there's always something to be said for that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
duckhunter said:
I call it sensationalizing FA with nonsense and trying to lure people back to his hot stuff. I used to read his question and answer pieces until I noticed he never strayed far from the middle of the road. Occasionally, he has some inside info and there's always something to be said for that.

The article is somewhat misleading because JT is just listing all free agents, however, with all the BS that is now out there where people just try to be first I welcome the old school approach by JT. He's not first, but he's right. Look I would love a beat writer that would be able to give you insight as to where the team is going, but then I would be upset with the regime for tipping their hand.

FWIW's if you're looking for the Woodward & Bernstein of sports reporting Thomas is not your man, but if you're looking for straight forward information and reporting facts not generalizations then Thomas serves the public well IMO.

duckhunter

Starter
Den,

You're probable right. We should have very low standards when it comes to Ram's football reporting. After all, JT gets the facts straight every time. He knows who won and what the final score was. Heck, that big monkey, Boinie, gets that right, but I wouldn't trust him with play by play. Just yanking on the chain in front of me. Don't mean to stomp on anyone's toes. Just being silly and immature. But all kidding aside.

As far as foresight and original thinking goes at PD, I stand on what I said. I'll give you two examples of what PD could do right now that would be really interesting rather than that dribble JT put out in this article.

(1) An interview with Fisher with on the draft asking him about previous drafts, what he looks for in players, when does he take chances, has he ever acted on a hunch and succeeded/ not succeed, etc.

Wasn't Griffin kind of a shock to some when he selected him? Now we know what a great player Griffin has become. What did he see then that led him to picking Griffin #1.
What did he see in Britt that fit his system vs other WRs.
What does he look for in a CB? How important is size, speed, quickness?
How important is football smarts when considering any player? Has he selected a player with lower athletics and greater football smarts over the higher athletics guy?
How'd that draft of Rocky's and Tank's a few years ago turn out?

It could be a real insightful article. Doesn't have to be showing Plan A or B.

(2) Interview with Snead on both the draft and FA.

Does he use FA to set up the draft?
Does he look at the strength of the draft and strength of FA and work out a blueprint to follow somewhat?
From his experience was there any shockers from the blueprint and who ultimately fell to them.
When the cubbard is bear at a position on his roster, does he try to fill one with an experienced FA and one through the draft?
When the draft is deep at a position does he consider drafting two prospects? Are there any speicial considerations to back to back picks at the same position?
What's his thoughts on big school versus small school?
What about system specific stuff with zone blocking vs power as an example? Man versus zone CBs?

I would think many of us could add a ton of questions that would be interesting for all of us. That question and answer section on ROD by Demoff shows that Demoff recognizes there is a big demand to get the right stuff out there to the fans IMO.