Paul Dawson improves 40, meets with Rams, Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Paul Dawson improves 40, meets with Rams, Saints at pro day
  • 0ap1000000217563.jpg
  • By Mike Huguenin
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: March 27, 2015 at 12:27 p.m.
  • Updated: March 27, 2015 at 01:14 p.m.
TCU linebacker Paul Dawson's performance at the NFL Scouting Combine was noteworthy in its mediocrity. It received so much attention that Dawson felt obligated to respond on Twitter.

The good news for Dawson is that he looked noticeably better Friday at TCU's pro day. Specifically, his time in the 40-yard dash improved significantly from 4.93, which could be reassuring for teams that were questioning his athleticism after the combine.

LB Paul Dawson timed from 4.78 to 4.82 in 40 at TCU's pro day, improving on combine time (4.93); obviously, a big help for him.

— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) March 27, 2015

Despite his combine showing, Dawson (6-foot-0 1/8, 235 pounds) remains a favorite of some teamsand he likely will be one of the first linebackers -- excluding edge rushers -- off the board.

His workout Friday certainly caught the eye of some teams. The St. Louis Ramsand New Orleans Saints met with him at the event, according to the Fort Worth Star Telegram's Charean Williams.

Dawson led TCU, which finished 12-1, with 136 tackles during the 2014 season, when the Horned Frogs (12-1) finished eighth nationally in scoring defense and 18th in total defense. TCU uses a 4-2-5 set, and Dawson is seen as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme by some analysts and an outside guy in a 4-3 set by others.

Dawson is the top-ranked linebacker in the draft by NFL Media analysts Mike Mayock and Lance Zierlein (their linebacker rankings do not include LBs who are seen as edge rushers). Zierlein calls him an "outrageously productive linebacker with a nose for the ball." Dawson said in mid-March that he had visits with five teams set up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...urns-in-much-better-clocking-in-40-at-pro-day

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Still a bit slow!! But I'll bet he plays faster!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are definitely some character red flags but I don't care about what any 40 time says. Dawson plays like a guy who runs a 4.4 because of his instincts and mental processing speed. And he's fast on the field...I saw him chase down a WR from behind and get enough of him to take him down. Doesn't sound like a typical 4.8 or 4.9 guy to me. (y)

thehammer

Rookie
fat, lazy and stupid is no way to go through life....Dean Wormer

has talent only question is will earning a paycheck make him become a hard worker or even lazier slacker....IMO kids a bs artist lacking maturity and I think I'd look elsewhere..lot of other fish in the sea

RamBill

Legend
Rams linked to TCU LB Dawson
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1532510-rams-linked-to-tcu-lb-dawson?s=124

The St. Louis Rams were among the teams at TCU’s pro day on Friday, where many were watching Paul Dawson closely to see if the linebacker could improve upon his disappointing performance at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Dawson did just that.

He weighed in at 230 pounds, five pounds less than he did in Indianapolis, and improved on his testing numbers from the Combine.

The most important numbers for him? He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.77 and 4.82 seconds, unofficially, after recording an official time of 4.93 in Indy.

“His numbers at the combine didn’t compute with what we saw on tape,” St. Louis Rams assistant head coach Dave McGinnis told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “He was in good condition today; he was in shape. It was evident that he’s been working since the combine. The combine is the combine, and what’s past is past, but it’s evident he’s been working for this day here.”

What teams see on tape, from Dawson’s senior season with the Horned Frogs, was one of the best linebackers in the country — a consensus first-team All-American and the Big 12 defensive player of the year.

The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder led the Big 12 in total tackles with 136 (81 unassisted) in 13 games and tacked up 20 tackles for loss, six sacks, five pass breakups, four interceptions, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.

“One thing Paul has, and I think you have to have at that level, is pure talent and instincts,” TCU coach Gary Patterson told the Star-Telegram. “He’s a great tackler. He reacts quickly. It’s kind of like the pick he had against Oklahoma. He read the quarterback’s eyes, he made the play, and he got a pick-six.

“He’s just one of those guys who does things you can’t coach. We can get them in the right position, but they don’t necessarily make plays. It’s hard to make as many tackles as what he did a year ago and not be one of those guys. You put him in a system like that, and I think you have the opportunity for him to be successful.”

Linebacker doesn’t rank as one of the top needs for the St. Louis Rams going into the 2015 season but if Dawson is still available when the Rams pick in the second or third round of the draft, he may be too tempting to pass up.

They return three starters in middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and outside linebackers Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar and recently signed free agent OLB Akeem Ayers to a two-year deal.

Ayers is expected to compete with Dunbar and Daren Bates, a special teams standout, backed up Laurinaitis last season. Laurinaitis is one of the few holdovers from the pre-Jeff Fisher/Les Snead era of the Rams and they may feel like they can upgrade at that spot with a younger and cheaper alternative like Dawson.

FRO

Legend
If he is there in the third round I would grab him. I would take a gamble on him.