Patterson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Yeah, he motioned from the outside, then took a counter step and he had a chance to stop it for a 10-15 yard gain, but defense blew it.Hayes got wired to his blocker, as did AO and JL. The fullback sealed Gains outside and out FS coming over as the "last line of defense" missed tackle.
upload_2014-9-7_14-55-49.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why did we trade up for Austin when we could have Patterson? Hindsight is 20/20 and that one was clearly a miss.
I was banging the table for Patterson in that draft. He had (has) freakish athleticism and range.
But what's done is done. Once Bailey gets back, and the QB situation shakes out, Austin will be fine, IMO.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If we had an OC like Norv, this thread wouldn't even exist. Austin can play, but we need to put him in a position where he can make plays. That didn't happen today. It happened a few times last year, but at the beginning of the season it wasn't happening either.

Austin isn't the problem.

V3

Hall of Fame
I would have taken Patterson too because of his height speed and production. But as a coach I would have taken Austin because he is a better receiver and does everything Patterson does. Could it have been WV offense could have but play calling matters in the nfl and right now don't think we have a play caller
Why is Austin a better receiver? Patterson already runs better routes, doesn't drop passes, has a better catch radius, better at jump balls, and better YAC. I kept hearing the year of that draft that Patterson shouldn't be taken because of his route running but I thought it was better than people thought and then when I saw they took Austin, I couldn't understand why his route running was better. It was horrible. Torry Holt called him out last season saying his route running was like a high schooler's.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I was banging the table for Patterson in that draft. He had (has) freakish athleticism and range.
But what's done is done. Once Bailey gets back, and the QB situation shakes out, Austin will be fine, IMO.
Yeah, what's done is done. I wanted Eric Reid in Round 1, Patterson in trade down and end of round 1 and Lacy in round 2. If wishes were fishes we'd all have a fry. We got our butts kicked . . . and it wasn't one guy.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is Austin a better receiver? Patterson already runs better routes, doesn't drop passes, has a better catch radius, better at jump balls, and better YAC. I kept hearing the year of that draft that Patterson shouldn't be taken because of his route running but I thought it was better than people thought and then when I saw they took Austin, I couldn't understand why his route running was better. It was horrible. Torry Holt called him out last season saying his route running was like a high schooler's.
Taking personal feelings aside, take a look at their college production and you tell me who the better receiver was in college, like I said even if we did draft Patterson do you really think schotty would bring the best out of him. And as a receiver he was a non factor Jenkins shut him down all game. His OC schemes and get him the ball that best uses his skill set something our OC hasn't figured out yet

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As long as Schotty is here Austin nor Patterson would succeed to their full potential.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If we had an OC like Norv, this thread wouldn't even exist. Austin can play, but we need to put him in a position where he can make plays. That didn't happen today. It happened a few times last year, but at the beginning of the season it wasn't happening either.

Austin isn't the problem.

Also, in reply to my own post, if we had drafted Patterson, we'd be having the same complaints about him now that we are hearing about Austin in this thread.

This is not an issue with the player we drafted or could have drafted.

Athos

Legend

Was Nuke Hopkins for me, but between Austin/Patterson, I thought Patterson had more upside and an easier transition. His return ability was/is elite and he's got moves like a top end RB and the size to boot. I always thought you could bring Patterson along more slowly than Austin because Patterson could really be used as a hybrid RB and return man while polishing his receiving skills.

When Patterson learns his routes, imo, the upside of him and Austin won't be close. Patterson will blow Austin's production out of the water.

Too late now though. Can only hope Shotty learns to use him. Because Austin is useless when he isn't put in motion or given space.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Austin should be the better player. We've not used him right and we're not using him right.

iced

Tavon Austin/Patterson comparisons don't bother me - you know why?

Look at the play callers

Athos

Legend
As long as Schotty is here Austin nor Patterson would succeed to their full potential.

True or not, imagine Patterson's return ability. The man was LETHAL in last season and a "flip the field" pro. Rams would be really well served with a guy who can get you good field position.

V3

Hall of Fame
Taking personal feelings aside, take a look at their college production and you tell me who the better receiver was in college, like I said even if we did draft Patterson do you really think schotty would bring the best out of him. And as a receiver he was a non factor Jenkins shut him down all game. His OC schemes and get him the ball that best uses his skill set something our OC hasn't figured out yet

I wanted Patterson WAY over Austin in that draft. I wouldn't have even taken Austin in the first round. I don't believe in taking 5'8" WRs in the first round. I don't care what they did in a college spread offense known for inflated stats. The NFL is different than college. That's why many years you see some of the best stat players in college slip way down the draft. It's why Tebow should have never been taken in the first round(or even close). I honestly thought Patterson was, at the time, a better WR and would become the better pro.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted Patterson WAY over Austin in that draft. I wouldn't have even taken Austin in the first round. I don't believe in taking 5'8" WRs in the first round. I don't care what they did in a college spread offense known for inflated stats. The NFL is different than college. That's why many years you see some of the best stat players in college slip way down the draft. It's why Tebow should have never been taken in the first round(or even close). I honestly thought Patterson was, at the time, a better WR and would become the better pro.
The way the rules are in the nfl it doesn't really matter about size now, not for the offense anyway. I'm not disputing how good Patterson is I just think Austin is getting a bad rep due to the failures of our OC and not him. Last year he was the victim of a lot of calls, took 2 touchdowns away from him and a lot of yards on his punt returns. I feel for him because he has the talent but our OC just can't get it done, and if we did had Patterson I would be saying the same thing schotty can't get it done

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True or not, imagine Patterson's return ability. The man was LETHAL in last season and a "flip the field" pro. Rams would be really well served with a guy who can get you good field position.
The rams don't use Austin on kick returns the way the Vikings don't use Patterson on punt returns

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone want to complain about taking Donnie Avery over DeSean Jackson while we're at it? Bitching about it isn't going to change history. So you can spend the next few years complaining about the pick like people did with DeSean or you can just accept it and move on. I, for one, happen to think Tavon is a talented kid and I support him wholly.

Threads like these just seem stupid to me. What do you accomplish? If you're right, you're pouring salt in the wounds. If you're wrong, you're just shitting on a Rams player for no good reason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What did Cordarrelle Patterson even do as a WR in this game? His big plays came as a HB. He had less receiving yards on the same amount of catches as Tavon.

Want to claim Cordarrelle is a better HB. Go ahead. It's hard to argue against that today. But what has the guy done at WR to make him such a grand player in your eyes?

And frankly, as great as Cordarrelle was today, it certainly helped the guy that he was getting carries on inspired plays behind an OL that was blocking effectively.

V3

Hall of Fame
What did Cordarrelle Patterson even do as a WR in this game? His big plays came as a HB. He had less receiving yards on the same amount of catches as Tavon.

Want to claim Cordarrelle is a better HB. Go ahead. It's hard to argue against that today. But what has the guy done at WR to make him such a grand player in your eyes?

And frankly, as great as Cordarrelle was today, it certainly helped the guy that he was getting carries on inspired plays behind an OL that was blocking effectively.
I'm mainly going on production right now, but I see your point. I honestly think he's a better WR right now than Austin(regardless of today's passing game stats) and I think he'll become a very good WR when it's all said and done. I'm not sure I'd make that bet with Austin. I think he'll end up being pretty similar to Dexter McCluster. I expect WAY more from a player the Rams took 8th overall and gave up their 2nd round pick to boot.