Patriot's waive Jonathon Cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-waive-former-cardinals-guard-jonathan-cooper

For four weeks, Jonathan Cooper's foot injury kept him off the field. Now, he's off the Patriots' roster.

The guard was released by New England on Saturday, NFL Network's Courtney Fallon reported, per a source with knowledge of the move. Cooper arrived in Foxborough via an offseason trade with the Cardinals that sent defensive end Chandler Jones to the desert. While Cooper is on the waiver wire, Jones has compiled four sacks, 15 tackles and is on pace for a career high in both statistics.

Arizona selected Cooper as the seventh-overall pick in 2013. However, he started just 11 games over two seasons and was the league's 50th-ranked guard in 2015, as ranked by Pro Football Focus.

With Cooper's release, the trade can now be evaluated as a minor bust for the Pats. In exchange for one of the league's emerging pass rushers, Bill Belichick and Co. acquired fourth-round wide receiverMalcolm Mitchell and third-round guard Joe Thuney, who, while they both look like franchise players in the making, are nowhere near Jones' caliber.

Fallon added that the hope is Cooper clears waivers and can return to the Patriots' active roster. In the meantime, the Pats are promoting defensive lineman Woodrow Hamilton.

Wow Cooper and Chance Warmack were both very highly rated prospects and thought to be the next great thing at Guard. I'll admit to wanting both thinking they'd be great additions and both have busted pretty hard.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Same here.There seems to be a trend forming.Just seems like of teams are missing on high round
olineman a lot more than in the past.
I think it's just pressure to find the next o-line cornerstone, which is obviously vital to a team's long term future. So you reach a little hoping you find the guy and...BOOM, Jason Smith.

Last edited:

tavian

I think it's just pressure to find the next o-line cornerstobe, which is obviously vital to a team's long term future. So you reach a little hoping you find the guy and...BOOM, Jason Smith.
lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/10/browns-grab-jonathan-cooper-off-waivers/

Browns grab Jonathan Cooper off waivers
Posted by Josh Alper on October 10, 2016

Guard Jonathan Cooper has been claimed by the Browns after being waived by the Patriots late last week. Cooper entered the league as a first-round pick of the Cardinals in 2013 and landed in New England when the Patriots traded linebacker Chandler Jones to Arizona in the offseason.

Cooper never saw regular season action for the Patriots after hurting his foot early in training camp. Injuries have been an ongoing concern for Cooper, who missed his entire rookie season after breaking his leg and then missed eight games over the next two seasons.

The Browns started Joel Bitonio and Alvin Bailey at guard against the more recent of Cooper’s former teams on Sunday and John Greco could move back to the position if Cameron Erving returns at center.

tavian

The days of drafting gifted raw prospects high may be over.
The type of blocking schemes prospect is running in college will take precedent .
No time to develop with new CBA.