Pat Kirwan: QB, DL, OL To Dominate Round 1 in NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
As the long list of prospects for the 2016 NFL Draft begins to take shape, it’s becoming more and more obvious that the quarterbacks, defensive linemen, and the offensive linemen provide most of the top prospects throughout Round 1 and into Round Two. Pat Kirwan breaks down the positions that will likely dominate the 1st round.

Watch Kirwan Talk 1st Round

====================

By Pat Kirwan
Published on 02/14/2016

https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/02/14/qb-dl-ol-dominate-round-1/

As the long list of prospects for the 2016 NFL Draft begins to take shape, it’s becoming more and more obvious that the quarterbacks, defensive linemen, and the offensive linemen provide most of the top prospects throughout Round 1 and into Round Two.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see those three position groups account for as many as 16 of the top 31 picks. Remember, the Patriots lost their 1st round pick as part of the Deflategate scandal.

There could be as many as four QB’s taken among the top 31. We all know about Carson Wentz of North Dakota State, who seems to climb boards by the day. Paxton Lynch is a big, tall athletic looking QB out of Memphis, Jared Goff is a very productive passer out of Cal, and Connor Cook of Michigan State could also squeeze in there.

Joey Bosa leads the defensive end group, while Alabama’s A’Shawn Robinson is the best of the interior players at this point. But there could be six or seven taken in the first round alone, with another six or seven to follow in Round 2. The offensive line is led by OT’s Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss, Ronnie Stanley of Notre Dame, and Jack Conklin of Michigan State, and a guard like LSU’s Vadal Alexander could be a late 1st or early 2nd round choice.

We haven’t even gotten to the Combine yet, so there’s still a lot of evaluation to take place. But these are some of the players who seem to be rising to the top of the class.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As the long list of prospects for the 2016 NFL Draft begins to take shape, it’s becoming more and more obvious that the quarterbacks, defensive linemen, and the offensive linemen provide most of the top prospects throughout Round 1 and into Round Two.
I believe it's been this way^ for the last several Draft's, not surprised, nothing Jaw-dropping in this op by Kirwan! JMHO

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Outstanding draft for OL'ers & DL'ers most are OT's ...rare.

While most of our attention as of late has been on the Rams trying to trade up to secure a QB with the herd of other QB-less teams but what happens when the shelf is bare hours before the Rams come into view?

In addition many teams are in serious need of upgrades in their OT's. NFL Teams..... draft after draft consistently reach for OT's. Its not been discussed here but a OLT like Ronnie Stanley slips down to #15 while teams quickly yank the top 4 QB's & DL'ers off the board..... could place Snead in a position where they could get some serious calls from playoff teams for a trade. You think that the Panthers, Broncos, Cards, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks & Vikings are hot to get big upgrades at both OT posts NOW?

If a LEFT DE like a Deforest Buckner or Shaq Lawson or a NT like A'Shawn Robinson (take Fairley's position) fall into our laps @ #15????:thinking: I know what what I doing I going DL fast & hard for future great positioning in Ram DL & the great cap positioning.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Outstanding draft for OL'ers & DL'ers most are OT's ...rare.

While most of our attention as of late has been on the Rams trying to trade up to secure a QB with the herd of other QB-less teams but what happens when the shelf is bare hours before the Rams come into view?

In addition many teams are in serious need of upgrades in their OT's. NFL Teams..... draft after draft consistently reach for OT's. Its not been discussed here but a OLT like Ronnie Stanley slips down to #15 while teams quickly yank the top 4 QB's & DL'ers off the board..... could place Snead in a position where they could get some serious calls from playoff teams for a trade. You think that the Panthers, Broncos, Cards, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks & Vikings are hot to get big upgrades at both OT posts NOW?

If a LEFT DE like a Deforest Buckner or Shaq Lawson or a NT like A'Shawn Robinson (take Fairley's position) fall into our laps @ #15????:thinking: I know what what I doing I going DL fast & hard for future great positioning in Ram DL & the great cap positioning.
I like that kid out of Louisville ... name is escaping me now, but he seems like a heavier AD and was showing very well during the Sr. Bowl practices.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like that kid out of Louisville ... name is escaping me now, but he seems like a heavier AD and was showing very well during the Sr. Bowl practices.

Rankins. Sheldon Rankins.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now I'm far from the draft pundit that most of you are, but doesn't the OL and DL dominate the early rounds most every year? Every year they debate there will be between 2-3 1st round QB's. And there seem to be 2 or 3 DB's that break the top 10. But there will be a run of about 8 picks in the first that are all OL and DL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
QB, DL, OL, and DB......pretty deep. pretty deep class of #2 types wrs too....