Pat Kirwan: "Eliminate the preseason completely."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Pat Kirwan says its time to start thinking about eliminating the preseason completely on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

[101]https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/pat-kirwan-says-its-time-to[/101]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nah - fuck that. Didn't listen to it but it comes up every year. Pre-season is evaluation time. Gotta have it. I wonder how many coaches would agree with this idea.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
Nah - freak that. Didn't listen to it but it comes up every year. Pre-season is evaluation time. Gotta have it. I wonder how many coaches would agree with this idea.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of preseason. 4 games seems too much.

But, what is the right amount and how do you evaluate fringe players without putting them into games?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
Nah - freak that. Didn't listen to it but it comes up every year. Pre-season is evaluation time. Gotta have it. I wonder how many coaches would agree with this idea.

But, what is the right amount and how do you evaluate fringe players without putting them into games?
If you get rid of preseason, it's still a level playing field. Evaluation can come in camp and OTA's, and every team will have to roll the dice on their depth players during the season. I'm not a fan of preseason either, and the league won't lose much at all if it goes away.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

If you get rid of preseason, it's still a level playing field. Evaluation can come in camp and OTA's, and every team will have to roll the dice on their depth players during the season. I'm not a fan of preseason either, and the league won't lose much at all if it goes away.

Except the ability to put players on the real fields and have them play against players that would basically be at minimum all-star players that they don't see every day. Aside from that, you'd probably have your team play some scrimmages. What the hell is the difference at that point?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

I think the league does lose... Unless they add regular season games back in.

They collect regular season prices on those preseason tickets, parking, and concessions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

They collect regular season prices on those preseason tickets, parking, and concessions.
Make it up by offering pay-per-view games to everyone in the world. $6.99 per game.
Something they should have been doing for a while now.

A55VA6

Legend
I hate preseason but you can't get rid of it.. teams would need more full padded practices and more to fully evaluate talent if there was no preseason. If anything make it 2 games or something.. but I don't really agree with it. Plus, teams would be so sloppy the first few weeks of the regular season. I think it would make the product on the field worse.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If the owners dont want to lose the revenue, maybe add 2 or 4 games to the reg season. With no divisional games in the first 4 weeks, add a few bodies to the roster, maybe make it 60 instead of 53. By not playing divisional opponents the first 4 weeks it gives everyone a chance to settle their roster before the most important regular season games. The owners dont lose revenue and the season ticket holders dont get screwed by having to pay for preseason tickets.

Player safety is the only downside I see, 20 reg season games plus playoffs would be brutal on a players body, makes depth much more important. Coaches would then be more likely to sit starters when games get out of hand to preserve them for next week and beyond.

I think this idea has been brought up before, probly every preseason, but it may be a feasible option.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Make it up by offering pay-per-view games to everyone in the world. $6.99 per game.
Something they should have been doing for a while now.

That is the best idea I have ever seen/heard. Pay per view NFL games. Id pay $6.99/wk to watch Rams games whether its on cable or internet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamBall said:
If the owners dont want to lose the revenue, maybe add 2 or 4 games to the reg season. With no divisional games in the first 4 weeks, add a few bodies to the roster, maybe make it 60 instead of 53. By not playing divisional opponents the first 4 weeks it gives everyone a chance to settle their roster before the most important regular season games. The owners dont lose revenue and the season ticket holders dont get screwed by having to pay for preseason tickets.

Player safety is the only downside I see, 20 reg season games plus playoffs would be brutal on a players body, makes depth much more important. Coaches would then be more likely to sit starters when games get out of hand to preserve them for next week and beyond.

I think this idea has been brought up before, probly every preseason, but it may be a feasible option.

I don't like expanding the regular season games. The post season... maybe.

But adding to the final roster is a good compromise to the lack of evaluation games. I could go for that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamBall with an expensive option:

I really hate the idea of increasing the amount of regular season games or for that matter, post season games.

I don't see how increasing the roster to 60 players would help a team determine which players are the best. Forgetting for a moment that many players shine only when a real game starts and not in practice, when would these extra players practice and against who would they practice? Even if it was just scrubs against scrubs, which would be impossible unless you somehow had at least one player at each position on O and D that you would consider scrubs, it would just lead to many more injuries. Plus the cost of those extra 7 players would be passed on to us fans.

It's not an idea I would support and player safety should be the deciding factor in adding more games. Which would mean no extra games.

I like it the way it is. I don't mind the preseason games at all. I just wish they wouldn't charge regular season prices.

fearsomefour

Legend
The preseason games are not subject to profit sharing (if my memory is correct) while other games are....based on that I would assume the pre season is going nowhere.
Bad idea to extend the regular season. Even if the rosters are expanded (would almost have to happen with more reg season games....that means higher payroll, again, owners probably not interested in that part of it) it would stand to water down the over all depth. Injuries happen. Half the injuries this pre season have been in practice. To follow this path of logic to make sure players stay healthy we should elimate contact or running in practice too.
Leave well enough alone. To be honest with you I think 16 games is about the max the league could do without making major rule changes to offset the physical toll it would take.

faylan

UDFA
I made a account just to post about this topic because I found this to be interesting. Just a little back ground on me I have been reading this board for a long time and im a rams fan but also a cowboy fans. I know kill me lol but im more of a rams fan then cowboys trust me. Im from oklahoma so I hope you guys can connect the dots.

Any ways this eliminate the preseason craze talk is one that got me thinking about how would I like it to be done and this is what I came up with. The best case scenario imo is to remove 2 preseason games so there are only 2 of them. Each team will get one home and one away game and one game to play starters/2nds and one to play bubble/3rds. This way at least teams get a little time to work out the kinks.

As to kirwan comments about highschool and college not having preseason. My response is is because highschool and college is not all about football. People go there to learn and it really is about learning first. Highschool and college isn't pro ball. The nfl is so teams need some breaking in time. Completely removing the preseason would be straight up stupid and I would postulate it would result in even more injuries for teams. Going from right out of camp into full speed hardcore pro games. If players are not ready they can get injured. Just look at Saffold... Dude was down on the first play lol.

Now this idea about extending the regular season is dumb. Extending it would for me decrease my excitement for football. Around week 13 to 14 I most of the time am just tired of football and just wish the post season was starting. Why drag out the regular season any longer? No one wants that. But in fact I do think having more post season games would be a great idea. Letting more teams into the post season imo would keep more fans interested for longer. But I don't think it would make it easier to win a super bowl. You still have to win and if you were a bad team then that's not going to happen. At least give the players a taste of the post season. Has Steven Jackson even played is a post season game?

So in short remove 2 preseason games, don't fuck with the regular season and let more teams into the post season. I think this would make pro ball better for players and fans. Or maybe im just stupid.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
faylan dipping his toe in octopus infested waters:
Im from oklahoma so I hope you guys can connect the dots.
When I connected them they made the shape of a turnip. Right?

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Once you stick your toe in it's damn near impossible to leave. :lol:

Stop by our member map and pin your location.

We're on Facebook too. Don't worry, they didn't use my face. :cheese:

Good first post!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Without preseason we might of gone into the season with Pettis as our #1.....

Im not a fan of preseason games like most people, and 4 may be to many, but we do need them. i say 2-3 would be enough.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The NFL is perfect as it is. Preseason is a must. I mean, look at our offense. I still think we need to get everyone on the same page before the season starts and preseason is where you do that.

Adding regular season games will just water down the league and games would be less meaningless. This is why I prefer the NFL than any other sport. Having too many games is boring and the only excitement from those sports are top teams playing against each other and the playoffs.

The NFL keeps its excitement throughout the season because there is only 16 games and you better make those games count.

Leave the league alone! We do not need expansion teams, more games, etc. but knowing badell you know it's bound to change, unfortunately.