Pass defenders learn on job with Rams/AP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pass defenders learn on job with Rams
by R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

Posted on August 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

http://www.kmov.com/sports/football/Pass-defenders-learn-on-job-with-Rams--270022161.html

(AP) — The St. Louis Rams' secondary doesn't have veteran leaders, high-dollar talent or big names.

Those handling spots on the last line of defense are confident they won't be a liability.

Together, they'll try to dispel the notion the Rams are counting on one of the NFL's best pass rushes to keep the heat off the pass defenders.

"We're young, you can say that," safety T.J. McDonald said. "We're motivated to be the best in the NFC West, best in the league."

While rebuilding, the Rams haven't been bashful about throwing rookies into the fray at any position. So while all four are young, they've got some experience.

"I'd rather have that," general manager Les Snead said. "That's where you start thinking you can ascend."

Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson have been inconsistent and safeties Rodney McLeod and McDonald are unproven.

Together, the group has 71 career starts — 30 by Jenkins. McLeod started every game last season, Johnson has 15 starts in two seasons and McDonald started 10 as a rookie last season.

The offensive line has veterans Rodger Saffold, Jake Long and Scott Wells and Kenny Britt is a veteran wide receiver.

The Rams are heavily invested on a defensive line that has three former first-round picks and at linebacker, too, with James Laurinaitis and Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

"There's nothing easy against those guys, especially up front," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "That front seven is really, really tough."

The secondary, which is without Cortland Finnegan who was released in the offseason after a serious eye injury, is never mentioned as a strength.

"It's definitely motivation," McLeod said. "We just want to be a top defense and it's about what we do as a unit. We've all got to work as one."

Jenkins, 25, is a former second-round pick and tied the NFL rookie record with three interceptions returned for touchdowns in 2012.

Entering his third season he has 30 career starts, but he had just one pick last year and the flip side of the big-play capabilities is he's also been beaten a lot on big plays.

Johnson also is in his third season and has been the full-time starter since last October. Now he's helping the newcomers.

"It's a challenge at times," Johnson said after practice Thursday night. "A lot of guys looking up to me, so I've got to be on my 'A' game every day."

McLeod was undrafted out of Virginia in 2012 and proved himself on special teams for a season before becoming the starter last year. Coach Jeff Fisher said he's seen "nothing but improvement" since mid-season.

"He gets it, he feels good, he's got a great feel for the defense," Fisher added. "You can't say enough about his special teams contribution."

McDonald was a third-round pick last season and was immediately plugged into the lineup.

That will also be the case for rookie Lamarcus Joyner, a second-round pick. Brandon McGee, a fifth-rounder last year, is in the running at nickel back and E.J. Gaines was a sixth-round pick this year.

"Me personally, I'm just getting started. Rod, too," McDonald said. "We have big aspirations and the only way to reach them is by controlling what we're doing right now."

NOTES: Jake Long took snaps in a team session Thursday night and said he remains on schedule to be ready for the opener. Long had ACL surgery on his left knee in late January. ... Laurinaitis was limping at the end of practice after getting his left foot stepped on. ... Fisher said the most impressive aspect of camp thus far is an increase in "explosive" plays.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Experience helping Rams' McLeod
Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1429910.html

ST. LOUIS — The Rams drafted four defensive backs, including two safeties, this spring. But Rodney McLeod, the team’s starting free safety, isn’t going to worry too much about all of that.
“I can only control what I can control,” McLeod said. “Those guys up in the office, they do a great job of drafting guys. Whatever happens happens. All I can do is come out here and compete each and every day and give it my all.”

That attitude has helped McLeod early in his first NFL career as he’s worked his way from undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Virginia playing on special teams to an NFL starter in his second season.

So he’s not going to sweat fourth-round pick Maurice Alexander or seventh rounder Christian Bryant coming after his safety spot. He’s just going continue to focus on what he can control and just try to get better each and every day.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher noted McLeod’s improvement last week.

“From midseason on last year right through the final game and throughout the offseason and camp, (he’s shown) nothing but improvement,’’ Fisher said. “He gets it, he feels good. He’s got a great feel for the defense. He and T.J. (McDonald) are really doing a good job communicating together, getting people lined up. The (safety) positions are interchangeable, so there’s flexibility there and then of course, you can’t say enough about the special-teams contribution. He’s going to start at free safety, going to play on a couple of (special) teams and be productive for us.’’

The 24 year old is trying to be one of the leaders in the secondary.

It’s a young group led by three players — McLeod and cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson — who are entering their third seasons in the league and another, T.J. McDonald, in his second.

“I took the approach that I have to be the leader, as well as Janoris and Trumaine and T.J.,” McLeod said. “We’re the guys who have game experience and have been around the longest. How we take the practice field, how we take the first rep, clearly sets the tone for practice.”

The secondary was one of their weaknesses last season, when St. Louis allowed 68.1 completion percentage and 8.06 pass yards per attempt. Both of those marks were the worst in the NFL.

If the Rams, who went 7-9 a year ago, are going to reverse their record and turn in their first winning season in more than a decade, the defensive backs will have to be better than they were in 2013.

That’s the challenge and that’s been a focus for new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“I think he’s challenged the whole defense, from the front seven to us in the back end,” McLeod said of Williams. “Our job is definitely different than theirs and we have to take it like that. In this league people score the ball easily when you throw is versus when you run it. Our job in the back end is to defend. We have a great front seven, so if they get there, pass rush and defensive backs, they go hand in hand.”

McLeod likes the new, more aggressive scheme from Williams.

“I’m also like the quarterback, me and the mike (middle linebacker),” he said. “I have to make a lot of adjustments back there and he gives me the freedom to do different things. As a safety in this defense you have to like it. I feel like everybody, though. It’s an attacking defense, so I expect a lot of great things to happen this year for us.”

McLeod said he has better chemistry with McDonald, the Rams’ strong safety, in their second season together.

In general, the added experience of having two seasons in the NFL is paying off for McLeod in his third training camp in St. Louis.

“I’ve seen a lot, experienced a lot,” he said. “I wouldn’t say I was where I needed to be the first four or five games last season but towards the latter part of the season I’ve definitely seen a different player in myself and going into this season. I’ve just been trying to take a role of being a leader back there and trying to do whatever it takes to make sure we get to the playoffs.”