Panthers poised to fall back to earth in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14835811/carolina-panthers-fall-back-earth-2016-nfl

NFL history offers many instances of teams making it to the Super Bowl, losing that game and then never getting back to that level. The 1977 Denver Broncos, 1980 Philadelphia Eagles, 1985 New England Patriots, 2003 Carolina Panthersand 2006 Chicago Bears fit into this one-year wonder category.

The 2015 Panthers may be the next club to join this group. The Super Bowl loss hasn't hurt their current reputation, as the Panthers rank at the top of ESPN.com's Way-Too-Early Power Rankings, but there are multiple reasons to think that defeat could be just the start of a downward trend for Carolina.

Cam Newton's MVP numbers were the product of facing weak foes

Newton's 2015 campaign was really a tale of three seasons.

When he faced weak competition, such as the eight games against teams that ranked 22nd or worse in passing yards allowed per attempt (Dallas, New Orleans, the New York Giants, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Washington), Newton posted incredible numbers. He completed 64.9 percent of his passes, racked up 8.2 yards per attempt, 7.1 yards per dropback, a 22-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a Total QBR of 79.0.

Carolina's schedule looks much more difficult in 2016.

Four of its five out-of-division road games are trips to the West Coast (Los Angeles, Oakland and Seattle) and a contest at Denver to face the Super Bowl champions at Mile High. The Panthers' other non-division road game is against Washington, a team that won the NFC East in 2015. Add in three home games against playoff teams (Arizona, Kansas City and Minnesota) and it equals one of the toughest non-divisional schedules in the NFL.

Kelvin Benjamin's return is not guaranteed to help this offense

One factor that might seem to be able to change Newton's performance trajectory is the return of Benjamin, who missed the 2015 season due to injury.

Benjamin could make a claim for being prolific during his rookie 2014 campaign (73 receptions for 1,008 yards and nine touchdowns), but he posted some of the worst per-attempt metrics that season.

According to my game tracking, Benjamin ranked tied for 78th out of 87 qualifying wide receivers in vertical yards per attempt (8.1 on aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield), 67th in stretch vertical yards per attempt (9.4 yards on passes traveling 20 or more yards in the air) and tied for 69th in short yards per attempt (5.6 on targets directed 10 or fewer yards downfield). It is certainly possible Benjamin improves upon these per-attempt figures, but returning to form after an ACL injury is far from a given.

Improving NFC

The Panthers also have to deal with the improvement of the NFC. Minnesota is on the rise (ranked 10th in the aforementioned power rankings), Green Bay restocks its talent pool as well as any team in the league, and the Cardinals are tied for having the best regular-season record in the league over the past two seasons (24-8).

As daunting as those matchup challenges could be, the entire NFC has to be worried now that Russell Wilson has shown he can pilot a pass-first offense as well as any quarterback in pro football. This is a big part of why Seattle won eight of its last 10 regular-season games after starting 2-4 and is one of many reasons the Seahawks are not likely to miss the recently retired Marshawn Lynch.

Carolina will also have to contend with the potential improvements of its NFC South foes.

Atlanta's defense ranked sixth in Total QBR on vertical passes (62.6), fifth in stretch vertical Total QBR (47.9), and tied for ninth in interception percentage (2.7 percent) and ninth in percentage of opponent's drives that resulted in a turnover (13.4 percent). These are the types of building blocks that could move this team into top 10 overall territory next season.

The New Orleans defense has no place to go but up, something that could occur with improved cornerback health.

Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston progressed quite well in his rookie campaign, ranking 13th in Total QBR over the second half of the season (58.6 from Weeks 9-17). The Buccaneers also have $50 million in cap space, some of which could be spent on improving the pass rush, and they have a top 10 pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

Bottom line

The Plexiglas Principle is all but certain to assure that a team finishing 17-2 one season will have a worse record the following season. Add that to the negative factors noted above and it means Carolina will be hard-pressed to repeat as NFC champion in 2016.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sounds like a salty Seahawks fan wrote this. They're not going anywhere for a couple years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not hijacking @CGI_Ram but....

2015 playoff teams

NFC
Carolina
Arizona
Seattle
Green Bay
Washington
Minnesota

AFC
New England
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Houston
Denver
Kansas City

Which team in your opinion most likely drops out of the playoffs? So many unanswered factors at this point, but i wouldn't put Carolina in that category.

I could see Washington with the pending QB situation, Houston because they were not a very good team, Denver with QB question marks, maybe Arizona because they're an older(at key positions) win now team, same with Green Bay who's roster is seemingly declining around Aaron Rodgers. Does Tom Brady finally start to decline after that beating he took in Denver?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2015 playoff teams

NFC
Carolina
Arizona
Seattle
Green Bay
Washington
Minnesota

AFC
New England
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Houston
Denver
Kansas City

Which team in your opinion most likely drops out of the playoffs? So many unanswered factors at this point, but i wouldn't put Carolina in that category.

I could see Washington with the pending QB situation, Houston because they were not a very good team, Denver with QB question marks, maybe Arizona because they're an older(at key positions) win now team, same with Green Bay who's roster is seemingly declining around Aaron Rodgers. Does Tom Brady finally start to decline after that beating he took in Denver?

Hard to argue with your list.

I think Green Bay makes it again. They have the projected easiest schedule of all teams in 2016.

Here's my guesses, in order:
Washington
Houston
Minnesota
Denver
KC

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

2015 playoff teams

NFC
Carolina
Arizona
Seattle
Green Bay
Washington
Minnesota

AFC
New England
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Houston
Denver
Kansas City

In the NFC

Minnesota
Washington
Arizona

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hard to argue with your list.

I think Green Bay makes it again. They have the projected easiest schedule of all teams in 2016.

Here's my guesses, in order:
Washington
Houston
Minnesota
Denver
KC
What's your reasoning on Minnesota? @Selassie I mentioned the Vikings too. I guess i don't really see them taking a step back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They nearly went 16-0. Going 12-4 is falling back down to earth for them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They nearly went 16-0. Going 12-4 is falling back down to earth for them.
That's one way to look at it. :)

With the rest of their division floundering the last few years, if that trend continues they could easily come back even stronger. Of course things can change very quickly and it's only February. Tampa was my dark horse team last season and they didn't disappoint. They were a good 6 win team if there is such a thing. Arrow UP. I'll be watching them closely again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's your reasoning on Minnesota? @Selassie I mentioned the Vikings too. I guess i don't really see them taking a step back.

Their wins?

Lions
Chargers
Lions
Bears
Rams
Raiders
Falcons
Bears
Giants

9 wins against losing teams.

2 wins against winning teams (Packers, Chiefs).

Not exactly murderers row.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
History shows us Super Losers don't respond well unless you go back to the 70's. Glad they beat the Seahawks and Cardinals and I will even happier when the Rams kick their ass next year in the playoffs.