Panthers fire their G.M.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/panthers-boot-g-m-dave-gettleman/

Panthers boot G.M.Dave Gettleman
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 17, 2017

15d3727bc4486d38907b00e663f1dc34.jpeg

AP

The Panthers have made plenty of news this offseason. None has been bigger than this.

The Panthers just announced that General Manager Dave Gettleman has been relieved of his duties the week before training camp begins.

“After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as General Manager,” owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. “I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed.”

The Panthers are in the midst of a number of contract negotiations with beloved veterans (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen) and Gettleman drew notorious hard lines with beloved veterans such as Jordan Gross and Steve Smith in the past. That might not have suited Richardson, who takes pride in his relationships with long-time players.

The move leaves them short-handed, as assistant G.M. Brandon Beane left for Buffalo’s G.M. job earlier this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/whats-next-for-the-panthers/

The stunning news that G.M. Dave Gettleman has been relieved of his duties after four years, three playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl leads to an obvious question: What the hell do they do next?

View: https://twitter.com/89SteveSmith/status/886992866479710208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2017%2F07%2F17%2Fsteve-smith-offers-sarcastic-comfort-to-dave-gettleman%2F

View: https://twitter.com/DeAngeloRB/status/886999001345740800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2Fcategory%2Frumor-mill%2F

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think we should give him a call for VP of Football Operations.
'kick the tires'...... anyway.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we should give him a call for VP of Football Operations.
'kick the tires'...... anyway.
Hell no! This guys being fired for not retaining players and bad contract negotiations. His drafts have been just ok and the number of former players that have spoken out and celebrated his firing should tell you all you need to know about his time as a GM. A very hard pass for me on this guy.

tempests

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ave-gettleman-accused-me-of-faking-an-injury/
Jon Beason: Dave Gettleman accused me of faking an injury
Posted by Mike Florio on July 17, 2017, 9:45 PM EDT
180322755-e1500342170325.jpg
Getty Images
The hits keep on coming when it comes to former players pouncing on former Panthers G.M. Dave Gettleman.

Former Panthers linebacker Jon Beason told WFNZ in Charlotte that Gettleman once made a strong accusation about Beason about Beason’s inability to practice and play with a bad knee.

“For him not to know me and say, ‘Hey, listen, you’re faking this injury.’ Those are harsh words,” Beason said. “Verbatim. ‘C’mon, Jon. You know nothing’s wrong with your knee.'”

Beason was recovering from microfracture surgery, a difficult procedure that in many cases is a coin-flip proposition as to whether the player will ever be the same.

“Obviously, I didn’t like that he was challenging my character, my integrity,” Beason said. “Especially since I love to play football.”

It’s surprising more of these anecdotes didn’t emerge before Gettleman was fired. Yes, there had been rumblings about Gettleman’s bedside manner, but nothing to suggest the open season that has been declared since the moment Gettleman got his pink slip.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. “I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed.”
I'll take Richardson's side on this! He's a Former NFL Player, He Played for the Rams! And he's been a successful Owner for a while now!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's rare that a GM gets so much backlash like this. He must have really been an ass. I doubt he gets another shot.

bnw

Pro Bowler
3 playoff appearances and a super bowl in 4 years? What a bum. He's not qualified to be the Rams GM.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 playoff appearances and a super bowl in 4 years? What a bum. He's not qualified to be the Rams GM.
So you're attributing the draft success of his predecessor building the team to him? Who are the Panthers best players and leaders? Cam Newton? Drafted by his predecessor. Luke Kuechley? Drafted by his predecessor. He had one good draft in 2013 his first year when he took the 2 big DT in the first 2 picks. He let a lot of veteran leaders go and is widely criticized for his handling of the draft and his free agents. Sure it's easy to look at the 3 playoff years and think he's great. A lot of that team, the majority, was built by somebody else.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...omas-davis-comments-on-dave-gettlemans-firing

Until Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson expounds on his reasons for firing general managerDave Gettleman, the NFL world is left to speculate on what ended a seemingly productive relationship.

Part of the media speculation for the firing was Gettleman's strained relationship with former players -- several of whom took glee in the GM's ouster. Another part of the speculation centered around how contract negotiations with veteran fan favorites like linebacker Thomas Davis and tight end Greg Olsen were headed this summer.

In an interview with Kelsey Riggs of NBC Charlotteon Tuesday, Davis said it was "unfair" to link he and Olsen to Richardson's decision to cut ties with Gettleman.

"It's really sad and disappointing when you hear all the people that are saying that the reason Mr. Gettleman was released was because of me or Greg," Davis said. "I think that's an unfair statement. I think that's something that you guys are giving us too much credit; we're not that important in the grand scheme of things and intimately, Mr. Richardson made a decision and it's something that we're all going to live with."

Davis confirmed to Riggs that he had spoken to Gettleman about a new deal before the firing.

"We had actually engaged in contract talks," Davis said. "They presented something and we presented something back, and we were just in the process of negotiating.

"I felt like the talks were going well. There's nothing that's going to happen overnight, it's a negotiation for a reason.

"We understand that as players and it really wasn't any hard feelings from my end, because we understand that. They don't have to do it. It's a situation where I have another year and they can make me play it out, or make Greg play his remaining two years out. As players, that's something we agreed to a long time ago. You just want some clarity, some certainty moving forward as a player and I'm thankful that the organization is willing to do it."

Gettleman's tenure in Charlotte was characterized by several cold-blooded business decisions that clearly rubbed some players the wrong way. CBS Sports' Will Brinson provides a superb, in-depth lookinto some of those moves that could have led to Richardson's decision.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Davis just turned 34 in March. Olsen 32 in March as well.

Last edited:

bnw

Pro Bowler
So you're attributing the draft success of his predecessor building the team to him? Who are the Panthers best players and leaders? Cam Newton? Drafted by his predecessor. Luke Kuechley? Drafted by his predecessor. He had one good draft in 2013 his first year when he took the 2 big DT in the first 2 picks. He let a lot of veteran leaders go and is widely criticized for his handling of the draft and his free agents. Sure it's easy to look at the 3 playoff years and think he's great. A lot of that team, the majority, was built by somebody else.
Fair enough. I threw the post off my back foot. Though what was their cap situation? Their draft position had to bad as well. If he had the bevy of high picks the Rams have had the past 5 years would he have done worse?

Ram65

Legend
The Panthers are in the midst of a number of contract negotiations with beloved veterans (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen) and Gettleman drew notorious hard lines with beloved veterans such as Jordan Gross and Steve Smith in the past. That might not have suited Richardson, who takes pride in his relationships with long-time players.

I thought Steve Smith may have had a couple years left in the tank when he went to Baltimore. But he was aging. He was 34 years old when he went to Baltimore. I don't remember the money he wanted.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitSt01.htm

Good year in 2014. Played 7 games in 2015. Played 14 games last year with decent numbers.

I'm not sure what to think after reading the above article and looking at the ages of those two players. It's a tough situation for everyone when veterans get to a certain age. Olsen has two years on his deal so you give him a longer deal at age 32? I don't know how Thomas Davis is playing now, he was very good. Another tough call at 34 years old.
I don't know anything about Dave Gettleman but, someone has to make the tough calls. The Patsies do it all the time. Rams had to make touch decisions on JL55 and Chris Long that saved money. Still a lot we don't know and haven't heard anything from Mr. Gettleman. If the owner wants to keep certain players why doesn't he step in an help make it happen?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough. I threw the post off my back foot. Though what was their cap situation? Their draft position had to bad as well. If he had the bevy of high picks the Rams have had the past 5 years would he have done worse?
They've had more cap space than the Rams every year he's been there including almost $19 million unused last year and $14 million this year. As for draft picks hind sight is 20/20 but even if he was our GM these last years it wouldn't have changed our picks. Fisher had total control.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/panthers-announce-marty-hurney-is-their-interim-g-m/

Panthers announce Marty Hurney is their interim G.M.
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 19, 2017

300x-31-e1350914310348.jpg

AP

Former Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney is returning.

The Panthers announced this morning that Hurney is their new interim G.M., following this week’s surprise firing of former G.M. Dave Gettleman.

“I never lost the connection with the organization,” Hurney said. “I’ve gained a lot of perspective and have looked at things in different ways. I think I can help this team in a lot of areas. I think I’ve grown. And I feel I’m better prepared to come in this time and do a better job than I did over the 12 years I was general manager last time.”

Hurney will handle personnel during the 2017 season and oversee the hiring of the next G.M. after the season. It is unclear whether Hurney himself will be one of the candidates for the job on a permanent basis, or whether he is committed to handing off the job to someone else in 2018.

Ram65

Legend
“I never lost the connection with the organization,” Gurney said. “I’ve gained a lot of perspective and have looked at things in different ways. I think I can help this team in a lot of areas. I think I’ve grown. And I feel I’m better prepared to come in this time and do a better job than I did over the 12 years I was general manager last time.”

Hurney will handle personnel during the 2017 season and oversee the hiring of the next G.M. after the season. It is unclear whether Hurney himself will be one of the candidates for the job on a permanent basis, or whether he is committed to handing off the job to someone else in 2018.

The first quote sounds like he wants to keep the job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Hurney
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Hurney
Marty Hurney
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marty Hurney is the interim General Manager of the Carolina Panthers.

Hurney grew up in Wheaton, Maryland,[1] and attended Good Counsel High School and Catholic University in Washington, D.C.

Before coming to the Panthers in 1998, he served in the front office of the San Diego Chargers as General Manager Bobby Beathard's right-hand man.[2] A journalist by trade, he first began in football in the Washington Redskins public relations department when owner Jack Kent Cooke asked him to join the team.[3]

After the Panthers began the 2012 season with a 1–5 record, Hurney was fired by the Panthers on October 22, 2012.[4] Many of the best players on the 2015 Panthersteam that won the NFC Championship were drafted by Hurney, including Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly, and Thomas Davis.

Hurney still works in Charlotte, NC as a radio personality on ESPN 730 radio, with fellow host Al Gardner.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How interesting is this. The now radio guy and former GM takes over as interim GM. It could be a tough spot working out the contracts with aging players. They got some room now and have the two stars Newton and Kuekley on their second contract with good deals. Something to watch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They fire Gettleman his main negative was not resigning veterans and hire the guy he replaced who was fired mainly for giving out bad extensions.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Sorry, but that's bullshit. In addition to those 2013 DTs, he got Kelvin Benjamin, Kony Ealy (traded for a 2nd round pick that could be a long term starting guard), Shaq Thompson and Devin Fuchness, a starting CB in James Bradberry (IDK about their first rounder, Vernon Butler. Apparently he was hurt and behind those 2 DTs).

So that's 6 productive players, and potentially two more from draft alone. Which is about on par for most NFL GMs.

I don't know anything about Dave Gettleman but, someone has to make the tough calls. The Patsies do it all the time. Rams had to make touch decisions on JL55 and Chris Long that saved money. Still a lot we don't know and haven't heard anything from Mr. Gettleman. If the owner wants to keep certain players why doesn't he step in an help make it happen?

Pretty much. Sounds more like butthurt veterans. It's Steve freakin Smith. What do you expect?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's rare that a GM gets so much backlash like this. He must have really been an ass. I doubt he gets another shot.

Yeah he's getting beaten up.

Worse than when Phil Savage decided to fight with fans and he got fired for it and players were happy to see him go and made no bones about it.