Panthers CB Josh Norman wants $16 million a year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/27/report-josh-norman-seeking-16-million-a-year/

Report: Josh Norman seeking $16 million a year
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty1mgvjothlm2m0ywfjngy1ogvhmddmmznhogvkogmy-e1449845383219.jpeg
AP

Darrelle Revis averages just over $14 million a year on his contract with the Jets, giving him the highest per-year average for a cornerback in the NFL. Josh Norman wants to blow that number away.

The Panthers put the franchise tag on Norman, meaning he has the option of signing that and taking a guaranteed salary of $13.95 million this year. But the Charlotte Observer reports that Norman wants about $16 million a year on a long-term contract.

Norman has indicated he’s in no hurry to get a deal done, saying he wouldn’t report to Organized Team Activities if the Panthers haven’t shown him the money.

The money Norman wants the Panthers to show him is significant. It may be a while before the two teams can come to an agreement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like there really is "I" in team....

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
This guy was pretty much a nobody until this year. What a clown. I hope he gets no offer and the best he gets on the open market is less then the tag.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
They need to set up a system in the NFL for pay. Too many players are only there for the money, and then they shit the bed after they get paid. This is how I would do it:
Depending on what round you're drafted, that's what your starting pay is. And it goes up or down every year depending on your level of play. It sounds the same as it is now but hear me out.

The NFL should rank each player like PFF does. Do a score on every guy and put them in sections by rankings. So rankings 26-30 make a certain amount the next year, 20-24 make a certain amount, ect.
(This is about to get extremely confusing, just bare with me)
Let's say players drafted in round one get paid $5 million the first year. We can use Todd Gurley as an example. IMO, Gurley was a top 5 Runningback this season. So in this case we can put a top 5 ranking at $1 million extra the next year. So now Gurley is making $6 million in 2016. After his contract is up, and he stays in that top 5 ranking all 4 seasons, he would be making $9 million in 2019, plus the $4 million he acquired in the previous 4 seasons for his contract extension. However, if he drops out of the top 5, he drops down to $800k extra per year. Since each round drafted would require a certain ranking, if he drops out of the top 10 in ranking(which is what you expect from your first round pick), he would go to that section of pay the next year, which would be 11-15 or whatever ranking he gets.

It could probably use some tweaking and this is literally off the top of my head, but it could work well for situations like this. Norman has played maybe two good seasons. Do it for longer and you can get your pay raise. Injuries might be a problem but I'm sure there could be an loophole for them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/27/report-josh-norman-seeking-16-million-a-year/

Report: Josh Norman seeking $16 million a year
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty1mgvjothlm2m0ywfjngy1ogvhmddmmznhogvkogmy-e1449845383219.jpeg
AP

Darrelle Revis averages just over $14 million a year on his contract with the Jets, giving him the highest per-year average for a cornerback in the NFL. Josh Norman wants to blow that number away.

The Panthers put the franchise tag on Norman, meaning he has the option of signing that and taking a guaranteed salary of $13.95 million this year. But the Charlotte Observer reports that Norman wants about $16 million a year on a long-term contract.

Norman has indicated he’s in no hurry to get a deal done, saying he wouldn’t report to Organized Team Activities if the Panthers haven’t shown him the money.

The money Norman wants the Panthers to show him is significant. It may be a while before the two teams can come to an agreement.
In my opinion Norman isn't worth the Tag money, let alone 16 Mil.!
And he's delusional if he thinks he's worth it! Tru is far better than him and well worth the money! JMO

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
$16 million a year? This guy is high as f*ck. I.hope he enjoys his extended off-season, because that is essentially extortion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This draft is full of very athletic DBs. In fact teams seem to find adequate DBs every year throughout the draft. That position is not one that many teams will want to sink a ton of money in if it keeps going that way. Is a shut down corner really worth that much more than a good corner? I guess if you have a lot of cap money and really value the position.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I thought 14 was ridiculous...I don't know if they'll keep him at anything near 16... Skipping OTAs?? Not a great move IMO...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was the Panthers GM..I'd be sayin, "BUH, BYE!":gtfo:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
They need to set up a system in the NFL for pay. Too many players are only there for the money, and then they crap the bed after they get paid. This is how I would do it:
Depending on what round you're drafted, that's what your starting pay is. And it goes up or down every year depending on your level of play. It sounds the same as it is now but hear me out.

The NFL should rank each player like PFF does. Do a score on every guy and put them in sections by rankings. So rankings 26-30 make a certain amount the next year, 20-24 make a certain amount, ect.
Let's say players drafted in round one get paid $5 million the first year. We can use Todd Gurley as an example. IMO, Gurley was a top 5 Runningback this season. So in this case we can put a top 5 ranking at $1 million extra the next year. So now Gurley is making $6 million in 2016. After his contract is up, and he stays in that top 5 ranking all 4 seasons, he would be making $9 million in 2019, plus the $4 million he acquired in the previous 4 seasons for his contract extension. However, if he drops out of the top 5, he drops down to $800k extra per year. Since each round drafted would require a certain ranking, if he drops out of the top 10 in ranking(which is what you expect from your first round pick), he would go to that section of pay the next year, which would be 11-15 or whatever ranking he gets.

It could probably use some tweaking and this is literally off the top of my head, but it could work well for situations like this. Norman has played maybe two good seasons. Do it for longer and you can get your pay raise. Injuries might be a problem but I'm sure there could be an loophole for them.

Okay, I get what you are trying to accomplish: Pay for Performance. I'm all for it! I have it on my job. Meet or exceed the specified goals, get ranked against my peers and BOOM! Bonus time ( I did good this past year, year before not so good but still good). You can do that on a free and open market but the problem I see is the Players Union. They won't go for it, IMHO. And how does this affect the salary cap situation? You won't know the cap hit till after the season. Hard to forecast.

Don't teams already have a bonus system in place for meeting certain metrics? And who determines the ranking system? I kind of like PFF based on a common formula per position so everyone is rated against their peers. I know many others here and elsewhere are not as fond of it.

It's a tough sell and don't get me wrong, just playing devils advocate on this. I like the idea. OH! Another thought, coaching changes and new schemes that go from a run first team (Rams/Gurley) to a pass happy team (Brady/NE) in a single season? How does that affect the once top 5 running backs that are relegated to minimal duty and drop 10-20 ranking points because of the change?

Keep the good thoughts coming. I too am tired of these overpriced prima donnas.

Here's and idea! Pay for loyalty! If you stay with the team that drafted you, you can get an additional bonus that is not cap counted!

Thanks for your time, Legatron.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do we really know he asked for that much? I mean it's not like journalists have any integrity these days. They said Sam asked for $25m and he signed for $16m per year. They make shit up most of the time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They need to set up a system in the NFL for pay. Too many players are only there for the money, and then they crap the bed after they get paid. This is how I would do it:

Put 'em all on straight commission. :)

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Norman bumped his head if he thinks he's worth 16 mil a year.He like Jenkins benefited from a very good defensive line.I get feeling maybe he knows this as well that's why he's trying to get what he is.

lockdnram21

Legend
In my opinion Norman isn't worth the Tag money, let alone 16 Mil.!
And he's delusional if he thinks he's worth it! Tru is far better than him and well worth the money! JMO
U can't be serious? Tru not even better then Jenkins. Look at his highlight tape all his ints were vs #2 receivers except a injured Megatron. He's a good cb but he's not a #1

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
This guy was pretty much a nobody until this year. What a clown. I hope he gets no offer and the best he gets on the open market is less then the tag.
I hope they pay him every cent of it. It would help my heart to see that classless, whining organization strapped for cap space only to see him come back to reality like he did the last half of last year.