Packers tried to trade Rams midseason for Jared Cook.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Packers free agency rumors: Green Bay tried to trade for Jared Cook last season, per report
By Jason B. Hirschhorn@by_JBH on Mar 15, 2016, 4:41p 46

usa-today-8861001.0.jpg

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

Ted Thompson wanted Jared Cook last year.

The Green Bay Packers have a visit scheduled with free agent Jared Cook, but, at least according to one account, the team has dabbled with the tight end before. Last season, the Packers attempted to acquire Cook last season prior to the NFL trade deadline, reports ESPN's Rob Demovsky.

Green Bay underperformed offensively in 2015, and the lack of a field-stretching receiver over the middle played a large role in those struggles. Apparently, the team's management agreed, and tried to pry Cook away from the St. Louis Ramsmidway through the year. Ultimately, no deal materialized, but the trade discussions illustrate how the Packers feel about the tight end's ability to impact the game.

Unlike Packers starter Richard Rodgers, Cook has plenty of speed to burn. He ran a 4.50 40-yard dash during his workout at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2009. Even at age 28, Cook offers a dimension otherwise absent from Green Bay's tight-end group.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-cook-packers-rams-trade-free-agency-2016-nfl

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if they wanted him they should have offered more than a 2019 7th round conditional pick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why would the Rams downgrade the position mid-season when they were trying to win? He wasn't great or anything, but he was our only intermediate zone receiver at the time. Which, you know, only demonstrates the Rams were serious about winning. :whistle:

On a semi-related note, does anyone else think that Kendricks gained too much weight at this level? I was recently watching his college "tape", and he seems so much more nimble and fast in college. I can understand bulking up to take on blockers, but it almost seems like we took away his ability to dominate in the passing game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqq1Y-xG-ok

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm sure Cook would have more success with the Packers given their offense has so many targets that it would draw coverage away from him and of course Aaron throwing it to him. Cook was never a bad player we can't waste time and money on players that underperform to that extent.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You beat me to it X.....We were in the mix for a playoff spot midway through the season, and Cook was our leading reciever if memory serves, in a bad offense (output wise, aside from Gurley and Austin)....It's kind of funny that the Packers wanted Cook to shore up their "poor" offensive production...man, they don't know what "poor" offensive production is!

View: http://imgur.com/nHyJktL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cook added very little to this offense tbh. It's not about them throwing in the towel, it's about them admitting the guy was a non-factor in their offense. They could have easily replaced him midseason with more involvement for Kendricks in the passing game.

As good as this regime is on defense they are just as bad offensively. It's terrible man. IF the Packers were offering a pick in this draft I would have pounced on it. 5th rounder would have gotten it done if I was GM.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was time to cut bait with Cook because his salary was no commensurate with his performance. Personally, I think it was a scheme issue moreso than a player issue but whatever.
That said, he was top 2 in most receiving categories during his career with the glaring exception of td rec
I think he can be a terrific player for the right team
Green Bay?? Hello right team

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Cook added very little to this offense tbh. It's not about them throwing in the towel, it's about them admitting the guy was a non-factor in their offense. They could have easily replaced him midseason with more involvement for Kendricks in the passing game.

As good as this regime is on defense they are just as bad offensively. It's terrible man. IF the Packers were offering a pick in this draft I would have pounced on it. 5th rounder would have gotten it done if I was GM.
Non factor as in leading receiver for the last two years and the one guys teams had to game plan for.

We already had a thread on this subject this week that got destroyed.

Guys who hated Cook and wanted him gone saying crap like take a bag of chips, we'd have been better without him.

And others saying they were in the hunt still and tearing the team down would have been throwing games for draft position.

It didn't happen so it means nothing except there was a rumor, who cares.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They could have easily replaced him midseason with more involvement for Kendricks in the passing game.

Kendricks was recovering from thumb surgery, and was playing one handed. He couldn't make any catch that was in the least difficult. As erratic as Cook was playing, he was a far better, more reliable receiver last season.

Now that Kendricks is recovered, and the Rams have an offseason to find a replacement or two for Cooks, he was replaceable. But in the actual context of the trade deadline of 2015, the Rams did not have a replacement and Cook was playing a necessary role - the offense would have managed to be even worse without him.

jap

Legend
Any replacement requires a guy who can black as well as catch. When you have play makers like TGII and Tavon on the field who can both take it to the house at any time, it is completely unacceptable to have unwilling or technique-poor blockers on the field. The Pack can have Cookie now, but we need better catching from the TE spot moving forward.

Lance did tear a ligament in his thumb either at the end of pre-season or in Week One last season as Akrasian alluded to and, subsequently, was a one-arm bandit for the first half of 2015. The last truly sure-handed TE we had was Pete Holohan who possessed the softest hands on a Horns team featuring Henry Ellard & Flipper Anderson.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Any replacement requires a guy who can black as well as catch. When you have play makers like TGII and Tavon on the field who can both take it to the house at any time, it is completely unacceptable to have unwilling or technique-poor blockers on the field. The Pack can have Cookie now, but we need better catching from the TE spot moving forward.

Lance did tear a ligament in his thumb either at the end of pre-season or in Week One last season as Akrasian alluded to and, subsequently, was a one-arm bandit for the first half of 2015. The last truly sure-handed TE we had was Pete Holohan who possessed the softest hands on a Horns team featuring Henry Ellard & Flipper Anderson.

I dunno, I was never worried when they threw to Brandon Malamanivegotskillethands.

Hahaha.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks was recovering from thumb surgery, and was playing one handed. He couldn't make any catch that was in the least difficult. As erratic as Cook was playing, he was a far better, more reliable receiver last season.

Now that Kendricks is recovered, and the Rams have an offseason to find a replacement or two for Cooks, he was replaceable. But in the actual context of the trade deadline of 2015, the Rams did not have a replacement and Cook was playing a necessary role - the offense would have managed to be even worse without him.

Not buyin it brother. Rams had the worst offense in the league. Pulling Cook off the field and putting WELKER out there running routes as part of joining the rest of the league with primary 11 personnel would have been an improvement simply because Cook ain't on the field. He sucks. And then they cut him.

Hindsight's 20/20, I know. But regardless I would have moved his lazy, QB-pushing @$$ for an effin waterboy. Even in midseason.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Packers free agency rumors: Green Bay tried to trade for Jared Cook last season, per report
By Jason B. Hirschhorn@by_JBH on Mar 15, 2016, 4:41p 46

usa-today-8861001.0.jpg

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

Ted Thompson wanted Jared Cook last year.

The Green Bay Packers have a visit scheduled with free agent Jared Cook, but, at least according to one account, the team has dabbled with the tight end before. Last season, the Packers attempted to acquire Cook last season prior to the NFL trade deadline, reports ESPN's Rob Demovsky.

Green Bay underperformed offensively in 2015, and the lack of a field-stretching receiver over the middle played a large role in those struggles. Apparently, the team's management agreed, and tried to pry Cook away from the St. Louis Ramsmidway through the year. Ultimately, no deal materialized, but the trade discussions illustrate how the Packers feel about the tight end's ability to impact the game.

Unlike Packers starter Richard Rodgers, Cook has plenty of speed to burn. He ran a 4.50 40-yard dash during his workout at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2009. Even at age 28, Cook offers a dimension otherwise absent from Green Bay's tight-end group.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-cook-packers-rams-trade-free-agency-2016-nfl
Not sure, but it sounds like the usual 'Off-Season' BS Roomers, If it where True I'm sure a deal could have been made!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not buyin it brother. Rams had the worst offense in the league. Pulling Cook off the field and putting WELKER out there running routes as part of joining the rest of the league with primary 11 personnel would have been an improvement simply because Cook ain't on the field. He sucks. And then they cut him.

Hindsight's 20/20, I know. But regardless I would have moved his lazy, QB-pushing @$$ for an effin waterboy. Even in midseason.

Funny you should say that about Welker. Because, despite teams reputedly scheming against Cook which should have reduced his yardage, he averaged 38% more yards per target than Welker did. In most views, that gives Cook the advantage.

Look, Cook was overpaid. He was frustrating. But he was still a useful player for the Rams. Teams can't give in to making decisions about players just because some fans hate them.

And as I pointed out - they cut Cook, when Kendricks was actually healthy, and when the team has an opportunity to sign or draft other players, not when they are forced to pull aging players like Welker out of retirement.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Akrasian believe it or not I get what you and others are saying. But by midseason the Rams knew they were up the creek. This team was going nowhere. So no probs, we'll agree to disagree on this one and I readily admit that I hate Cook and it affects my judgment.

Anyway. I mentioned Welker specifically because he surprised me when I went back and re-watched the Rams season the other week. The guy is a walking injury-waiting-to-happen, but he got open a lot when he was on the field and he was routinely ignored or missed by the QB. I hadn't realized how much he was open until that point.

I actually think keeping him around at a bargain rate would be a smart move. If they bring in a QB with actual accuracy he might be able to help this offense. If the Rams load this WR corps in the draft and don't need him, no worries let him go in camp.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@Akrasian believe it or not I get what you and others are saying. But by midseason the Rams knew they were up the creek. This team was going nowhere. So no probs, we'll agree to disagree on this one and I readily admit that I hate Cook and it affects my judgment.

Anyway. I mentioned Welker specifically because he surprised me when I went back and re-watched the Rams season the other week. The guy is a walking injury-waiting-to-happen, but he got open a lot when he was on the field and he was routinely ignored or missed by the QB. I hadn't realized how much he was open until that point.

I actually think keeping him around at a bargain rate would be a smart move. If they bring in a QB with actual accuracy he might be able to help this offense. If the Rams load this WR corps in the draft and don't need him, no worries let him go in camp.

Welker knows how to play, its just unfortunate his body is asking him to not do it, I'd love to keep him around, you're right he just had a knack of getting open, we should have used him more, but sh!t happens when you're a Rams receiver. We could at least use him to help the younger receivers how to run routes etc... especially if he's cheap ;) I'd rather he take a roster spot that Foles, for instance...