Packers HC Mike McCarthy surprised assistants aren't in demand

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mike McCarthy surprised assistants aren't in demand
By Ian Rapoport

When a team has sustained success, other NFL franchises want to know why and how. Happens every year. With each coaching change -- and there were six -- owners and general managers often try to pick the pockets of the league's most successful teams by hiring away their assistants.

It's happened with multiple teams interviewing Seahawks coordinators Dan Quinn and Darrell Bevell. It's happened with more teams speaking with Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Patriotsoffensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Every team playing today has an assistant with an interview request for a head-coaching job.

Except one.

"I don't understand why our guys are not part of this process,"Packers coach Mike McCarthy told me during the bye week before preparation began for today's showdown with the Cowboys with a chance to advance to the NFC title game.

Once again, the Packers received no interview requests for offensive coordinator Tom Clements, defensive coordinator Dom Capers, or assistant head coach and linebackers coach Winston Moss.

It's always this way. Green Bay's assistants are never "hot" names, despite their continued success with homegrown players.

I wondered why. So did McCarthy, who simply wants his assistants to have the opportunity for advancement.

"I'm just stating the obvious," McCarthy said. "We're a very successful football program and you're going into your ninth year and you look around -- it's just really about opportunities. We have a lot of very good coaches here. We have a draft-and-develop program, we take a high majority of our players from college, they're coached. We've been very successful here. Opportunities come from that. It just surprises me there haven't been more opportunities for our coaching staff for head coaching positions."

Since McCarthy took over in Green Bay, his Packers have won a Super Bowl, earned eight or more wins in all but one season, and made the playoffs seven times. Most of those season included Clements, Capers, and Moss.

Each of the assistants, according to McCarthy, can command a room and lead. Clements has earned praise for his work with Aaron Rodgers, and McCarthy notes "He's been with Aaron since Day 1. Look at our offense, we're a pretty offense." Capers has remade the defense this year, and has plenty of head coaching experience. And Moss, though far more under-the-radar, has a key role for the Packers.

Fritz Pollard Alliance chairman John Wooten said "Winston does all the discipline." Added McCarthy, "He has a great rapport with the players. That's his strongest attribute, his ability to communicate."

Yet no one wants to talk to them. Perhaps they aren't exciting, and maybe none would win an introductory press conference. Neither, by the way, did McCarthy, and that's worked out OK. The coach doesn't fault the process. He said the league does a good job of getting assistants ready and in the spotlight.

It just hasn't helped his guys. At least, not yet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mccarthy-surprised-assistants-arent-in-demand

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not Clements offense Sherman Lewis 2.0. Lewis was the OC under Mike Holgrem and everybody wondered why he not got a shot as a Head Coach, it's because everyone knew it was not his offense. However, the QB Coach Andy Reid got hired just like just like Ben McAdoo did last season as OC of the New York Giants.

Clements is not getting any bites because he's too old at 61 and has never been successful running his own offense. Was OC of the Buffalo Bills in 2004-05 the only time running his own offense and it was a disaster!

However, he was a hell of a Quarterback at Notre Dame where the Clements to Casper (Dave) combination introduced the term C Squared to mathematically challenged college football fans.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not Clements offense Sherman Lewis 2.0. Lewis was the OC under Mike Holgrem and everybody wondered why he not got a shot as a Head Coach, it's because everyone knew it was not his offense. However, the QB Coach Andy Reid got hired just like just like Ben McAdoo did last season as OC of the New York Giants.

Clements is not getting any bites because he's too old at 61 and has never been successful running his own offense. Was OC of the Buffalo Bills in 2004-05 the only time running his own offense and it was a disaster!

However, he was a hell of a Quarterback at Notre Dame where the Clements to Casper (Dave) combination introduced the term C Squared to mathematically challenged college football fans.
Whoa coach..you're pretty knowledgeable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight Den, that makes some sense. Still, just because an OC didn't design the offense, isn't there something to be said as to how well he operates it? Execution.

As for him being too old...Pete Carroll is 63. If anything an older co-ordinator hire would guarantee that he won't bolt after one year to become a HC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thanks for the insight Den, that makes some sense. Still, just because an OC didn't design the offense, isn't there something to be said as to how well he operates it? Execution.

As for him being too old...Pete Carroll is 63. If anything an older co-ordinator hire would guarantee that he won't bolt after one year to become a HC.

Clements does not not call the plays Mike McCarthy does and he did not have the Head Coaching experience Pete Carroll had or coached teams to back to back college national titles. At this point IMO unless on an interim basis Clements will not get an opportunity to be a Head Coach.

Let's look at the Oakland Raiders they hired Reggie McKenzie as their General Manager and he did not even interview Tom Clements who was with the organisation that he just came from. Now I realize that McKenzie can't spell CAT, if you spotted him the C & the A, however, I would think McKenzie would have at the very minimum brought Clements in for an interview.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clements does not not call the plays Mike McCarthy does and he did not have the Head Coaching experience Pete Carroll had or coached teams to back to back college national titles. At this point IMO unless on an interim basis Clements will not get an opportunity to be a Head Coach.

Let's look at the Oakland Raiders they hired Reggie McKenzie as their General Manager and he did not even interview Tom Clements who was with the organisation that he just came from. Now I realize that McKenzie can't spell CAT, if you spotted him the C & the A, however, I would think McKenzie would have at the very minimum brought Clements in for an interview.
The only reason i brought up Carroll is his age, not comparing track records. Being old isn't an issue and if anything provides that if hired as an OC, "old guy" won't leave after one season looking to better his career as a HC.

So in Clements case, who was strictly QB's coach in Green Bay for years before 2 years ago...what are his duties as OC if it's all McCarthy?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Capers is the guy who has the bone to pick, because he has done the HC thing once and since his return to DC is consistently excellent at getting the most from his talent. With him I always assume he's not interested in doing it, not sure why but maybe he has been all along. Which would mean he's getting passed over by a lot of teams when he shouldn't be.

Failing once as a head coach can be a benefit when you get your second chance, particularly if you are an elite coordinator who really has a high end level of knowledge that will benefit a team from the head coach position. Capers meets that criteria IMO, he is one of the best in the league and if McCarthy is smart he'd shut up about it because Capers has given him a high end production on the side of the ball he is weakest on.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Hasn't Capers done the HC thing twice? Texans and Panthers. Has there ever been a HC who's been fired twice that's gotten another HC job again?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When a team has a great QB like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, I always figure that they are what makes the OC look so good. Clements has only had success with Rodgers and McCarthy. McDaniel has only had success with Brady and Belicheat.

Capers is a Defensive coordinator only, like Martz is an OC, or Linehan is an OC.

Winston Moss needs to do more to get attention.

Philbin is regarded as a QB guru and was given lots of credit or Favre and Rogers development. I wanted him over Fisher so Sam would have a more QB friendly system. I don't think his work at Miami is forgettable. That team is on the rise and Tannehill is coming along nicely. Philbin was able to patch together a pretty good Oline that was in shambles after the Incognito/Martin scandal. For an offensive minded coach he has a pretty good D too.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think I read that Rodgers calls 60% of the plays anyway.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I know Moss interviewed with the Raiders a couple years back. To be honest though, I always viewed the Packers D to be underachievers more than anything. Outside of the few years where Charles Woodson played insanely well, there have been far too many talented guys that return pedestrian results.