Owners To Eliminate Kickoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You will still have the compression on the spine. A safer helmet for the skull would probably just make it more dangerous for the spine and that would lead to more instantaneous life changing or ending injuries.

The compression from existing helmets occurs because of their rigidity.

Look at motorcycle helmets. They are completely and totally about preventing intrusion, but are terrible at preventing neck/spinal compression/torsion. If anything, the rigid nature makes it worse.

While I would make the shell less rigid, it would be paramount to make it very, very slippery. That's because the shell has to either be slippery or be able to handle torsional forces and that's not likely to happen unless the helmet were essentially shell-less and simply had a silicone covering over the silicone matrix. Basically, it'd be a soft shell helmet that would be more durable than just wearing foam as well as cooler, able to handle torsional and direct forces and allow for deceleration prior to transmitting any forces to the skull, thus removing a lot of the lag between brain and skull.

I like the idea of using air, but I think there's still the issue of the torsional rigidity of the shell as well as the size of the gap and/or bladder needed to achieve the result. Which is why I like the idea of a structural matrix like a silicone matrix better.

Of course, the face mask would be an issue and that's why I'd be more infavor of some kind of shell. The face mask needs a rigid anchor point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Look at motorcycle helmets. They are completely and totally about preventing intrusion, but are terrible at preventing neck/spinal compression/torsion. If anything, the rigid nature makes it worse.

While I would make the shell less rigid, it would be paramount to make it very, very slippery. That's because the shell has to either be slippery or be able to handle torsional forces and that's not likely to happen unless the helmet were essentially shell-less and simply had a silicone covering over the silicone matrix. Basically, it'd be a soft shell helmet that would be more durable than just wearing foam as well as cooler, able to handle torsional and direct forces and allow for deceleration prior to transmitting any forces to the skull, thus removing a lot of the lag between brain and skull.

I like the idea of using air, but I think there's still the issue of the torsional rigidity of the shell as well as the size of the gap and/or bladder needed to achieve the result. Which is why I like the idea of a structural matrix like a silicone matrix better.

Of course, the face mask would be an issue and that's why I'd be more infavor of some kind of shell. The face mask needs a rigid anchor point.
You are correct to a point. But the instant stop is not going to be greatly affected by a better or less rigid helmet. The spinal injuries are not because of a shocking jolt but from a compression that is much slower in comparison - still obviously very fast but momentum stopped more softly may not jar the brain as much but will still result in the compression of the spine with almost no change. The thing I'm talking about is that if you make a safer helmet, that helmet will embolden players to hit harder with it. And if you are using your head for a battering ram at full speed and getting stopped by an opposing force, that compression will only be amplified.

And BTW - making the helmet more slippery would also likely put the neck in very bad angles. Making it more tacky like would be the case with leather or silicon would probably create the same issue in a different way.

Now where I see the benefit of a softer helmet or one that reduces shock is when the player's head hits the ground. No rule will change that and there may be as many injuries caused by the ground as any other contact with a player's head.

I guess, pick your poison.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

It's not about the impact but the sudden stop. I'd think a gel will someday be the answer if they can make the shell light enough.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might as well eliminate punts too while they're at it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's baffling to me why Mike Foolio, who I'm guessing makes his living through his website and through other NFL activities, continues to do his utmost to ruin the very game that gives him a paycheck. From his SJW jihads over changing the Redskins name, to getting Kaepernick signed, and now to this, surely he can't be that stupid or self-destructive.

What's the next most "dangerous play in the game" that will need to be eliminated, the punt return, receivers catching the ball over the middle, sacking the quarterback? What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of the game we love as it morphs into fake football aided by Foolio and others of his ilk.
**************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/17/dear-nfl-go-ahead-and-get-rid-of-the-kickoff/

Dear NFL: Go ahead and get rid of the kickoff
Posted by Mike Foolio on April 17, 2018

You win, NFL. You’ve been gradually chipping away at the kickoff — dubbed for years now the most dangerous play in the game — with the goal of making it easier for everyone to deal with the elimination of the kickoff when it eventually happens. Perhaps the hope was that the sense of inevitability would grow to the point that the calls for the end of the kickoff would come from the outside.

Regardless, and to quote Schwartz when Flick was hesitating to touch his tongue on the frozen flag pole, “Go on, smartass, and do it.”

Yes, NFL, go ahead and do it. When the owners get together in May, cast 32 votes to eliminate the kickoff for good.

We all know it’s coming. So we can talk about it for the next year or two, while the most dangerous play in the game remains part of the game, or we can just get rid of the damn thing now.

The plan for dealing with the most dangerous play in the game shouldn’t be using it less, it should be using it never. When there’s a dangerous table saw in a machine shop, a responsible foreman doesn’t say, “Use it less.” A responsible foreman says, “Don’t use it at all.”

So do it. Quit talking about it, and do it. Replace with with Greg Sciano’s idea, first floated by Commissioner Goodell in 2012, to give the kicking team the ball at its own 30 yard line, facing fourth and 15. Punt the ball (a far less dangerous play, since players aren’t running directly at each other at full speed before impact), go for it, or run a fake punt.

It’s going to happen sooner or later. Make it happen sooner, so we can all quit wondering when it’s finally going to happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's baffling to me why Mike Foolio, who I'm guessing makes his living through his website and through other NFL activities, continues to do his utmost to ruin the very game that gives him a paycheck. From his SJW jihads over changing the Redskins name, to getting Kaepernick signed, and now to this, surely he can't be that stupid or self-destructive.

What's the next most "dangerous play in the game" that will need to be eliminated, the punt return, receivers catching the ball over the middle, sacking the quarterback? What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of the game we love as it morphs into fake football aided by Foolio and others of his ilk.
**************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/17/dear-nfl-go-ahead-and-get-rid-of-the-kickoff/

Dear NFL: Go ahead and get rid of the kickoff
Posted by Mike Foolio on April 17, 2018

You win, NFL. You’ve been gradually chipping away at the kickoff — dubbed for years now the most dangerous play in the game — with the goal of making it easier for everyone to deal with the elimination of the kickoff when it eventually happens. Perhaps the hope was that the sense of inevitability would grow to the point that the calls for the end of the kickoff would come from the outside.

Regardless, and to quote Schwartz when Flick was hesitating to touch his tongue on the frozen flag pole, “Go on, smartass, and do it.”

Yes, NFL, go ahead and do it. When the owners get together in May, cast 32 votes to eliminate the kickoff for good.

We all know it’s coming. So we can talk about it for the next year or two, while the most dangerous play in the game remains part of the game, or we can just get rid of the damn thing now.

The plan for dealing with the most dangerous play in the game shouldn’t be using it less, it should be using it never. When there’s a dangerous table saw in a machine shop, a responsible foreman doesn’t say, “Use it less.” A responsible foreman says, “Don’t use it at all.”

So do it. Quit talking about it, and do it. Replace with with Greg Sciano’s idea, first floated by Commissioner Goodell in 2012, to give the kicking team the ball at its own 30 yard line, facing fourth and 15. Punt the ball (a far less dangerous play, since players aren’t running directly at each other at full speed before impact), go for it, or run a fake punt.

It’s going to happen sooner or later. Make it happen sooner, so we can all quit wondering when it’s finally going to happen.
Sigh.

But to answer your question - Yes he can be that stupid.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Hey @fanotodd you don't give a mod a "chill" or an "inappropriate." If you have a problem with my opinion then send me a pm and we'll discuss it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
HEY NFL OFFICIALS!! I don't give a Flying-F--K what the reasoning is Keep your Freaking hands off the Kickoff! And quit screwing with the game of Football Just because you want to be Politically Correct!:seizure:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
So what's to follow?
1) punt returns. The punter will just throw the ball as far as he can and the ball will be placed where it first hits unless it bounces back towards the "kicking" team.
This gives backup QBs a bigger role and thus eliminating punters--except Johnny Hecker, who oddly enough, remains the top punter.

2) if it can be determined by formation and pre-snap reads that one side or the other has called the best play vs their opponent, the play NEED NOT BE RUN. Instead, yardage will be assessed or forfeited based on an agreed upon chart for specific situations--thus eliminating some plays from ever having to be run and thereby eliminating some risky and unnecessary contact.

3) players will be equipped with laser sights on their helmets for plays that do get ran. Should a defender maintain his laser onto an affixed target worn on the opposing player's uni for 2-3 steps...that player is "down by contact." There will be no advantage to having straight up and down runners with the ability to break tackles; but rather, an increase in developing "Barry Sander" type runners. Shifty becomes better than breaking tackles because it's harder to maintain a laser beam on that runner's target.

Ok, now I get it. This is why the NRA gets so angry and defensive when gun laws are discussed.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Hey @fanotodd you don't give a mod a "chill" or an "inappropriate." If you have a problem with my opinion then send me a pm and we'll discuss it.

Sorry man. That wasn't directed towards YOU, but towards the guy who wrote the article.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
And passes over the middle and safeties that can hit and anyone playing deep running forward and......
This is all such a joke. In my opinion the worst injuries have usually happened by receivers getting hit by DB's. Or did we forget Jack Tatum and Daryl Stingley. Look who gets penalized the most for illegal hits. Yeah, the DB's. Now do we want to get rid of the pass play? Because that would be next.

Yes kickoffs are about high impact, but you can't throw away a mainstay of the game. Because if you do you'd better come up with a new name for it, because it'll never be football again.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They cut out kickoffs and that it for me. I'l be going fishing on Sundays.

NFL regular season games are going to look like the Bro Bowl. No kickoffs, Count to tem before rushing the QB or just redshirt him and forbid sacks.

One or two more rule changes and I'm done.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the not too distant future they will remove the human aspect of the game altogether.

giphy.gif

WestCoastRam

Legend
I played Rugby in college and the two main differences we had that I think affected head injuries were a lack of helmet (look at the caps we wear, they're basically just there to ensure your ears don't get ripped off) and consistent motion in the game... what I mean is, we never lined up across from each other and launched ourselves at each other. For the most part, the game was constant motion or when we would scrum, you were fairly close so the impact of tackling was mitigated.

I agree, that changing the helmets might have an impact on concussions (seeeeeeee what I did there!)... I wonder if moving the players up the field on kickoffs would have any impact???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Listening to the talking heads this morning and they were talking about what was being discussed at the owners meeting. The owners had a long talk about how the move to the 25 yd line didn't lower concussions and discussed eliminating kickoffs entirely.

This is bad news for football. I fear the NFL will soon look just like the Pro-Bowl. Kickoffs are a big part of the game and one of the most exciting aspects of the sport.

Well before I look at other post , I’d say there are some advantages.

1. Concussions as to the owners concern

2. More offense of plays

3. Less injury timeouts.

4.Should speed up the game.

5.More core players versus special team players.