Overall Draft Goals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So as it pertains to our roster I think there are some distinct directions we need to go if we want to turn this thing around quickly. In a few days' time hopefully we are looking at these additions and seeing that the following are areas we have improved significantly:

1. Physicality in the defensive front. AD can two gap and does it quite well but it's not ideal to have a guy like him doing that. We lost two 1T types who both anchor well on the interior in Gaines and Robinson. As things stand right now every team is going to put up 6+ ypc in the run game against this front. Rams desperately need physicality in this group, and that's even if Brown has a future which is not a certainty at this point.

2. Pass game threat. This is largely due to less than ideal returns on both Jefferson and Tutu. Jefferson has not been bad, but what we are going to require from him or Tutu this year is a big step forward where one of them serve as our #2 threat. We need some threats out there other than Kupp. Who is going to provide that. This could be accomplished by TE, WR, or RB, or ideally some combination of all three, but since we do have many needs the Rams probably need to be surgical and hit on one of them to give this offense a shot in the arm before they go back to stacking this defense.

3. Coverage / Pass Rush. Our corners have not been great, even going back to the Super Bowl run. The problems had already begun back there, they just were masked by incredible pass rush potency. And now of course we need both the rush and the coverage, both areas ideally need to be improved. Can they find a way to improve both? I think so, but there are many needs once again. Just like you see with physicality being important for matching up with the Shitters and Shehawks, we also are going to need guys who have coverage and ball skills to make Shitter QBs hold the ball. So coming out of this draft ideally we see a boost to our rush and at least one corner added who can play outside the hash.

4. QB futures. Nobody wants to see the Rams "waste" a midround pick on a QB. But the truth is Stafford has some hard miles on him, and we have nothing behind him on that roster. They interviewed OConnell, Tune, and Hall. Probably some more besides. It's gonna happen and it needs to happen. And it comes down to getting McVay the guy he wants. Also and btw one thing McVay specifically mentioned is the leadership elements that are a natural part of the position. I think this is a big deal with QB. Older I get the more I think it's the mental resilience, competitiveness, and willingness to do the work that make guys succeed moreso than the measurables. Leadership too. Being comfortable out in front and running the guys. Some dudes just struggle with that, particularly when it's running grown ass men who are pros. You see that over and over with even some of these immature QBs like Wilson who in hindsight had zero chance of running the room. Hall seems like a guy who fits well there, to me at least. I think he's the guy, but I don't think the Rams get him, and either way here's hoping they find a QB we can enjoy in preseason.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
#2 is why I see us running to the podium if Gibbs is there.

Honestly, I just want the draft to be over… I’ll root for whomever wears horns.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Funny how much "As things stand right now" sounds like "At the moment". :laugh1:

I still have great hope along the DL with Donald at 3T & Bobby Brown at NT, it's one of the reasons I look so favorably upon Adebawore as becoming our lead at 5T. All 3 of these players can also move about the line capably in various sets. With Hoecht, Murchison & Copeland in rotation, I like our chances.

Other than Stafford to Kupp, our receiving corps across the board does look a bit less than inspiring. A first round pick at WR next year may be a direction we take without much surprise, although for this season I'll be happy to settle on 2 new mid to later round WR's and a higher end TE. We can upgrade what Powell brought as a special teams returner as well as adding another speedster WR with the single acquisition of Trey Palmer, and I like the potential offered by that big speedy WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton as an upgrade to the discarded hopeful hybrid, Jacob Harris. I believe these two can more than help make up for the losses of Allen Robinson, Powell & Harris.

While we can't address all of our flaws this pre-season, my choice would first be to make serious inroads at Edge to compensate for a less than stellar defensive backfield. The Rams did draft 4 new DB's in 2022, so while I'd add something to the room, I'm far more inclined to get after the opposing QB with sacks, hurries and QB hits giving our DB's more time to make adjustments. Guys like Adebawore, Derick Hall & another later round Edge OLB to join Hardy & Hoecht should be fun to watch develop. I'd also be bringing back CB Grant Haley without much further delay.

The Rams aren't going to the play-offs in 2023 imo, so doing something to improve on the Wolford/Perkins back-up duo is all I'm hoping for, so a late round QB and a UDFA should probably suffice until next year.

jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny how much "As things stand right now" sounds like "At the moment". :laugh1:
Difference is I am simply observing what we need. Not making absolute statements about how we are doomed to fail even though we haven't even had the draft yet.

Also grow some fucking skin man. Your oversensitive ego on everything seems to be worse than is normal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Difference is I am simply observing what we need. Not making absolute statements about how we are doomed to fail even though we haven't even had the draft yet.

Also grow some fucking skin man. Your oversensitive ego on everything seems to be worse than is normal.

Wow, OK. Sorry you see things that way, but not seeing us in the playoffs this year is quite far from feeling we are doomed. A good draft and I very much like where we're going.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
So as it pertains to our roster I think there are some distinct directions we need to go if we want to turn this thing around quickly. In a few days' time hopefully we are looking at these additions and seeing that the following are areas we have improved significantly:

1. Physicality in the defensive front. AD can two gap and does it quite well but it's not ideal to have a guy like him doing that. We lost two 1T types who both anchor well on the interior in Gaines and Robinson. As things stand right now every team is going to put up 6+ ypc in the run game against this front. Rams desperately need physicality in this group, and that's even if Brown has a future which is not a certainty at this point.

2. Pass game threat. This is largely due to less than ideal returns on both Jefferson and Tutu. Jefferson has not been bad, but what we are going to require from him or Tutu this year is a big step forward where one of them serve as our #2 threat. We need some threats out there other than Kupp. Who is going to provide that. This could be accomplished by TE, WR, or RB, or ideally some combination of all three, but since we do have many needs the Rams probably need to be surgical and hit on one of them to give this offense a shot in the arm before they go back to stacking this defense.

3. Coverage / Pass Rush. Our corners have not been great, even going back to the Super Bowl run. The problems had already begun back there, they just were masked by incredible pass rush potency. And now of course we need both the rush and the coverage, both areas ideally need to be improved. Can they find a way to improve both? I think so, but there are many needs once again. Just like you see with physicality being important for matching up with the Shitters and Shehawks, we also are going to need guys who have coverage and ball skills to make Shitter QBs hold the ball. So coming out of this draft ideally we see a boost to our rush and at least one corner added who can play outside the hash.

4. QB futures. Nobody wants to see the Rams "waste" a midround pick on a QB. But the truth is Stafford has some hard miles on him, and we have nothing behind him on that roster. They interviewed OConnell, Tune, and Hall. Probably some more besides. It's gonna happen and it needs to happen. And it comes down to getting McVay the guy he wants. Also and btw one thing McVay specifically mentioned is the leadership elements that are a natural part of the position. I think this is a big deal with QB. Older I get the more I think it's the mental resilience, competitiveness, and willingness to do the work that make guys succeed moreso than the measurables. Leadership too. Being comfortable out in front and running the guys. Some dudes just struggle with that, particularly when it's running grown ass men who are pros. You see that over and over with even some of these immature QBs like Wilson who in hindsight had zero chance of running the room. Hall seems like a guy who fits well there, to me at least. I think he's the guy, but I don't think the Rams get him, and either way here's hoping they find a QB we can enjoy in preseason.
Honestly well said. That is precisely what, I believe, most of us are hoping for. Would be a real benefit if the QB we take in mid to late rounds develops into the heir apparent also.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, OK. Sorry you see things that way, but not seeing us in the playoffs this year is quite far from feeling we are doomed. A good draft and I very much like where we're going.
I don't care if you think we are doomed. Or if you are convinced we are going to lose. What irritates me is the little comments and passive-aggressive whining shit you have been entering in your posts of late. But whatever man. You be you. Maybe it's my lack of patience too, I'm certainly not perfect maybe I'm overreacting in fact so cheers and moving on.

For me, it’s the trenches. Get bigger and stronger on both lines.
One thing that is kind of strange to me when I look at the interview list is the way Torrence stands out. You have one guy who is an earlier day interview for the iOL and the rest seem to be mid to late round types. Wondering if they think he has a strong chance to be there and maybe he's their guy this year. Thought keeps crossing my mind at least.

So it's entirely possible we see that happen. And I'm with you on that. Division goes through the Shitters right now so let's tool to beat those fucks.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
One thing that is kind of strange to me when I look at the interview list is the way Torrence stands out. You have one guy who is an earlier day interview for the iOL and the rest seem to be mid to late round types. Wondering if they think he has a strong chance to be there and maybe he's their guy this year. Thought keeps crossing my mind at least.

So it's entirely possible we see that happen. And I'm with you on that. Division goes through the Shitters right now so let's tool to beat those fucks.
I'm going to finish my projection to pick 36 today or tomorrow at latest, but I sincerely believe he will be there at 36 right now. He has enough flaws to not be a sure fire first rounder. Really OT's have much more value to the teams picking higher and I expect them to go all go off the board before 2nd round starts. Also, guys like Avila and Tippman have closed the gap in projections lately and both are more versatile to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pass rush pass rush and pass rush.

And please no RB on day 2.

That's my two goals the rest is gravy

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't care if you think we are doomed. Or if you are convinced we are going to lose. What irritates me is the little comments and passive-aggressive whining shit you have been entering in your posts of late. But whatever man. You be you. Maybe it's my lack of patience too, I'm certainly not perfect maybe I'm overreacting in fact so cheers and moving on.

Well, you certainly had a lot to say, including that I'm claiming that we are 'doomed' for some reason or another.
My comment, 'Funny how much "As things stand right now" sounds like "At the moment", ... was just a tweek that was meant to be amusing. I guess it wasn't.
You post about 3 times more often than I do, and I probably agree with about 95% of those posts, but I guess questioning those other 5% of posts makes me 'passive-aggressive' & whiney in your opinion ? There are nearly a half dozen posters here who have a tendency to talk down to many ROD posters and I don't include you among them, although I won't be intimidated or bullied by them, ... if this comes across as whining, again, I'm sorry you see it that way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you certainly had a lot to say, including that I'm claiming that we are 'doomed' for some reason or another.
My comment, 'Funny how much "As things stand right now" sounds like "At the moment", ... was just a tweek that was meant to be amusing. I guess it wasn't.
You post about 3 times more often than I do, and I probably agree with about 95% of those posts, but I guess questioning those other 5% of posts makes me 'passive-aggressive' & whiney in your opinion ? There are nearly a half dozen posters here who have a tendency to talk down to many ROD posters and I don't include you among them, although I won't be intimidated or bullied by them, ... if this comes across as whining, again, I'm sorry you see it that way.
Let's agree that I overreacted and move on. How about that. I'll admit that at times shit will rub me wrong and I snap and then inevitably I feel like a dickhead afterwards. This is one of those times. If we were at the bar I'd buy you a round. :cheers2:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let's agree that I overreacted and move on. How about that. I'll admit that at times shit will rub me wrong and I snap and then inevitably I feel like a dickhead afterwards. This is one of those times. If we were at the bar I'd buy you a round. :cheers2:

Happy Hour Party GIF by Two Lane Brewing

Ram65

Legend
Good overview.

It's a two-year process. My hope was to get an anchor for the offensive line that can help set a more physical tone.

I can't help but think if Jahmyr Gibbs is available he is a McVay type of pick that give him a chess piece to create mismatches. He can get the chunk plays in both the running and the passing game.

Everywhere you look the defense needs help. A physical lineman would fill a need as would a pass rusher.

I don't know what the Rams will prioritize this year. Set up the offense this year and fill in some holes on the defense. They may take the best player available because they have so many needs. I think they look at the first three picks as a group that is flexible as to who is available. They could go A B C or B C A or C B A.

Did I confuse anyone?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Since this year is expected to be a throw away year they can afford to find a few talented but raw projects on day 3. Maybe in a couple years that raw talent becomes seasoned talent. They have plenty of late picks for that. Think about darts but a lot further to throw them because most picks are further down. Throw 11 at a board and odds are a few will hit it. Odds are they will find a few contributors for down the road.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Since this year is expected to be a throw away year they can afford to find a few talented but raw projects on day 3. Maybe in a couple years that raw talent becomes seasoned talent. They have plenty of late picks for that. Think about darts but a lot further to throw them because most picks are further down. Throw 11 at a board and odds are a few will hit it. Odds are they will find a few contributors for down the road.

Same with the UDFA's, ... falling into a few more minimum wage Alaric Jackson & Mike Hoecht types would be plus additions to a strong draft.

oldnotdead

Legend
You don't need a lot of high draft players to play Morris' passive wait until the offense makes mistakes, concede the FG every possession type of defense. 5 mannequins to stand up in the secondary is all you need.

You don't need AD if your DL is going to scratch their balls reading / reacting in Morris' Fangio style defense.

Why draft anyone? Since we are doomed to fail this year just trade away all the picks for 2024 picks.

Why even play the games if we have no chance of success? Just concede all the games and the team can stay home drinking beer.

According to some fans the Rams should just stay home because they are doomed. Why did they bother bringing McVay back?

I guess I'm in the distinct minority that thinks you can't lose a season that hasn't even started. Geeez gosh maybe that's why the play the games?

I wonder if all these doom and gloom fans will watch the games on their tiny phones, muted while hiding in the hall closet so people won't know they actually give a damn.

Just me and some random thought just before the draft. You will find me in front of my TV with my beer, screaming and yelling and cursing the screen on gamedays. That's the good thing about being an optimistic fan.....I don't have to hide from anyone. Now if I was a Card fan I'd hide.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What really is going to be interesting to me is (among other things), that space from #167 - 191. 25 slots, 6 selections. Just like guys drop out of the first round, guys (many) drop out of the top 150. Well, it's interesting to me.

Pick at #167;
4 slots later #171
6 slots later #177
5 slots later #182
7 slots later #189
2 slots later #191

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Pass rush pass rush and pass rush.

And please no RB on day 2.

That's my two goals the rest is gravy
Yes, that’s the right answer, but…

McVay predictably will want to try to juice the offense with a WR or RB or TE. And there could be some real prospects still there at #36.