Outback Bowl: Lewan vs Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a good chance to see both players matched up against each other. Me; Clowney for the win. Lewan was holding him, a lot.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is a good chance to see both players matched up against each other. Me; Clowney for the win. Lewan was holding him, a lot.

Thanks for posting what was said about Clowney vs Lewan for us, CGI! Proves the point being made! Robinson!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thread was about Lewan. Robinson will prove up to the task of playing Clowney! IMO!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Meh, based on that video it's a push. They both had their moments. I'd still want Sammy or Jake Matthews @ #2 and one of the 2 CBs @ 13.

I don't trust JC and the Rams don't even have a need for DE.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Meh, based on that video it's a push. They both had their moments. I'd still want Sammy or Jake Matthews @ #2 and one of the 2 CBs @ 13.

I don't trust JC and the Rams don't even have a need for DE.

While I agree that the rams dont need a DE if houston doesnt take clowney and we cant get a good deal to trade back I have little doubt that Clowney will be the pick. Fisher loves his Dlineman and Just cant see him passing on the best Dline prospect to come out in the last decade.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Watched the entire clip. My take:
As long as the play is in front of Clowney he's a monster, but i saw poor effort once it got behind him. Walking...not finishing pursuit etc.
Lewan looked pretty good to me. That QB is terrible. Gardner?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
As long as we dont pass ever for a year or two..
My take on getting Robinson is that he'll start at LG and learn from Boudreau. Clowney probably goes to TX or our trade down partner so he'll likely not be in the division! Talent is there for both players to excel! Just don't want Lewan!

Angry Ram

While I agree that the rams dont need a DE if houston doesnt take clowney and we cant get a good deal to trade back I have little doubt that Clowney will be the pick. Fisher loves his Dlineman and Just cant see him passing on the best Dline prospect to come out in the last decade.

Isn't there one of those "once in a decade" players in every draft? Seems like it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My take on getting Robinson is that he'll start at LG and learn from Boudreau. Clowney probably goes to TX or our trade down partner so he'll likely not be in the division! Talent is there for both players to excel! Just don't want Lewan!

I can live with that. Not that much of a lewan fan myself.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Isn't there one of those "once in a decade" players in every draft? Seems like it.

People have been talking about this guy being a beast the last 3 years. would have been the #1 overall pick if he came out last year too. Suh is the last defender I can remember that people were this high on and all the experts say Clowney is a better prospect than Suh.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Clowney vs. Lewan? That battle might just take place every day in practice real soon here, never know.

Angry Ram

People have been talking about this guy being a beast the last 3 years. would have been the #1 overall pick if he came out last year too. Suh is the last defender I can remember that people were this high on and all the experts say Clowney is a better prospect than Suh.

I'm not denying any of that. But players have come out year after year both offense and defense that have the "once in a decade" slapped on them. Sometimes they may work out (Andrew Luck) others they don't (Glenn Dorsey) and some just end up good players but look disappointing b/c of said label (Ndamukong Suh).

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Clowney is strong against he run when he wants--surprising he stopped Lewan in his trax mano e mano a few times; and he plays smart some plays, and then takes himself out of plays at other times, and then makes an incredible play; reminds me of Robert Quinn in his 2nd season.

iced

Thanks for posting what was said about Clowney vs Lewan for us, CGI! Proves the point being made! Robinson!!!!!!!!!!!!
kinda funny because robinson tends to get too grabby and results in a couple of holds.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't want either. Most of that video was very even with Lewan holding up pretty well. Clowneys best plays we're stunts inside and away from Lewan.

I still prefer Matthews.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Clowney won this battle. Didn't "dominate" Lewan but Lewan received A LOT of help for a top 20 pick. On quite a few plays, they were using the LG or TE along with Lewan to double Clowney. Clowney gave Lewan all sorts of trouble in the run game and Lewan struggled a bit when left 1 on 1 with Clowney when Clowney utilized inside moves. Lewan also grabbed Clowney by the facemask on at least 3 or 4 different plays and was lucky that he wasn't flagged for it.

Although the forced fumble itself was not Lewan's fault. They were down blocking and SC had Clowney run a slant stunt which was the perfect call on the play because the TE who was supposed to block him had no chance.

The biggest thing I don't like in Lewan is that he's not a natural bender. He bends too much at the waist and plays too upright. IMO, he isn't flexible enough to play OG at his height in the NFL which means if we draft him, Barksdale will likely be moving to OG or backing someone up. And I'm not a fan of that situation.