Our soft cushions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
But who the hell was Joyner covering? Looked like he was doing that "sit in the middle, cover nobody" thing again.
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that what safeties are mostly set up to do? Theyre never really assigned a person to cover, they cover the entire back field and go whereever the ball goes, or is looking to go.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that what safeties are mostly set up to do? Theyre never really assigned a person to cover, they cover the entire back field and go whereever the ball goes, or is looking to go.
Not always and he was awfully close to the LOS for that. If need to see the play again to confirm, but I believe he was with Cooper at first, then kind of stopped and say there. That's when Peters broke off for Cooper. I think either they were supposed to stay with their guys or they were supposed to swap (which I think would be dumb).

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Peters left Gallup to cover Amari bc thats where he thought Dak was going. So Joyner had to leave his position to catch Gallup.
Maybe the strategy was trying to cover Cooper. He had 65 yards and a td but he didn't beat us.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Not always and he was awfully close to the LOS for that. If need to see the play again to confirm, but I believe he was with Cooper at first, then kind of stopped and say there. That's when Peters broke off for Cooper. I think either they were supposed to stay with their guys or they were supposed to swap (which I think would be dumb).
Usually strong safeties stay close to LOS to track TE or RB's, free safeties monitor the back field. Come to think of it, no way Joyner even catches up to Gallup if he wasnt in the back field.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Usually strong safeties stay close to LOS to track TE or RB's, free safeties monitor the back field. Come to think of it, no way Joyner even catches up to Gallup if he wasnt in the back field.
Someone find the play, please?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Actually I think im combinding the plays into one. I thought Joyner was on the right side of the ball during that 44yder. My bad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Wade did a fine job in shutting down the Cowboys' offense with a defensive roster that is lacking at multiple key areas. Names don't matter in this league, it's being able to play the call and execute and from that perspective we are lacking at 4 starting positions.

At some point our defense is probably going to cost us our chance at a championship. Wade really can't do anything about Peters because our depth chart doesn't have anyone he can trust behind him. Of all the positions that have struggled all season ILB is the only one where he might be able to play a depth position over the starter but all our depth options suck in coverage so the gain would be minimal and only on run downs.

We gotta just hope these guys step up like Suh did vs Dallas. Suh finally looked like the guy we thought he was when he got that $14M one year deal. So there is hope.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
This was a down and distance situation. The fact is the Rams were in soft zone because of the yardage the Cowboys needed. The problem came when Dak broke contain...with his running ability he froze the coverage because he was getting close to the LOS which the defenders had to react to.

I don't think soft zone was a bad call there...it just didn't work out.

So do you honestly think this coverage can work vs. the Aints? Just asking, thoughts?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think Wade did a fine job in shutting down the Cowboys' offense with a defensive roster that is lacking at multiple key areas. Names don't matter in this league, it's being able to play the call and execute and from that perspective we are lacking at 4 starting positions.

At some point our defense is probably going to cost us our chance at a championship. Wade really can't do anything about Peters because our depth chart doesn't have anyone he can trust behind him. Of all the positions that have struggled all season ILB is the only one where he might be able to play a depth position over the starter but all our depth options suck in coverage so the gain would be minimal and only on run downs.

We gotta just hope these guys step up like Suh did vs Dallas. Suh finally looked like the guy we thought he was when he got that $14M one year deal. So there is hope.

Bend but don't break, see if Dak can consistently put together long drives. Make them eat the clock, knowing we were putting up points every drive!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So moving Fwd assuming were playing the Aints. Need to bracket Thomas somehow, have Baron on the TE and Littleton attempt to stay w/ #41. Or do we use more Christian on #41?
And pray our DL can play well and rough up Brees while keeping him out of sync.

RamWoodie

Legend
So do you honestly think this coverage can work vs. the Aints? Just asking, thoughts?
No. The Saints have better and more weapons than the Cowboys...and you're dealing with Brees...not Prescott.

My response was based on that particular defensive playcall last night.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade doesn't trust our pass coverage, especially Peters. Neither do I.

Ram77

Rookie
Its ironic that in March and April when we acquired Peters, Talib and Shields and tagged Joyner that we thought the secondary would be our strongest and deepest unit among the best in the league. So far its been far from that and our legendary D-Coordinator has no answers. I hope we beat the Saints, but I am worried about the back end

spamlord

Rookie
I know Wade has been coaching for four decades but what in the world are we doing giving up such soft cushions to the receivers? I went back and watched the long pass to Gallup again - the one that took the ball down to the one yard line. It was first and twenty and, at the snap, we are giving the outside receivers a ten yard cushion. Johnson, playing safety in the deep, middle third is at the sticks, 20 yards deep. Gallup, on the top of the screen, runs a 12 yard out route (he's covered, not very good though, by Joyner). Peters, who is playing Cover 3 and has the deep third at the top of the screen, leaves his zone to cover Cooper who is wide open in the middle for a 12 yard completion. Johnson, who has the deep, middle third, has already backpedalled to the 17 yard line, 15 yards from Cooper and covering absolutely nobody. As Aikman pointed out on the replay, Peters should have stayed in his deep zone but watching it over, I understand what he saw. He thought Gallup was hooking up in the flats and was covered by Joyner so he left his zone to cover the wide-open Cooper (who I'm guessing was perceived to be the bigger threat). What Johnson is doing so far back is what has me puzzled. I understand not wanting to give up the big play over the top but that was ridiculous.

I'm glad that we figured out a way to finally stuff the run. I honestly think this was part of our problem: Donald was so intent on getting the sack record throughout the season that he was in pass-rush mode more often than he should have been. That opened up gaps to run through. Now that the regular season is over and the record is a thing of the past, he can focus on just doing his job which includes stopping the run and pass. I might be crazy thinking this, but it has crossed my mind.

As for our next opponent, I'd much rather play Philly as I think the Saints offense presents more of a challenge. I still don't trust our secondary. It seems like we can't go a game without a huge blown coverage or two and that could end up costing us the game. Still, I'm glad we are in position to have that to worry about;-)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/39c42bf8-cd63-40c0-adfa-ef7a7220df3c