Our Recent Gambles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I've been busy working tons of hours of late. But still have been reading and enjoying y'all's thoughts.

On the signings of Reid and Britt. Both come with some heavy baggage but also with tremendous skill sets. They also come with EXTREMELY low costs. Reid has NO guaranteed jack and the PD article lowers Britt's to only $150k if he is cut before the season. We would all like to see these guys without the baggage, but it is the reason we were able to get them for practically peanuts. And if they don't pan out, we really are not losing much.

Britt is obviously the moat physically talented WR we have had on our roster in quite some time. He DOES have the skills to be a true #1 WR. His indiscretions are well known, but reading up some quotes from former teammates of his, it seems he is growing up and knows he needs to get better at life in general. He seems to love playing for JF ... and his quotes of wanting to be a true #1 on a team just could be the fuel he needs to turn the corner and be what he can be. All the incentive needed is there. Ball is in his court and if fianlly gets it, a boon for us.

Reid ... same thing. Troubled past...injuries, but TONS of skillz! Another player that is getting his "shot". The most recent arrest is no big deal, but could and should open his eyes up to the fact that this is his last chance at getting what he has always wanted. Reports I have seen from the FSU pro day is that Reid was the best DB on the field...after being out for 2 yrs! Think about that...for those who covet Joyner and even Brooks. IF he is healthy and stays right, he is every bit of what we can use. A Nickle CB who can contribute on ST's. Has Honey Badger qualities, but with even more physical skills.

These guys are steals for what we got them for if they pan out. If they don't, we aren't in the hole for much if anything. And I don't think either are going to change draft plans. I really don't think they planned on taking Watkins at #2 at any point. So if they don't draft SW, I doubt it has anything to do with the Britt signing, but more on their overall plan. But no matter what, these two guys don't only upgrade the current roster talent....they also are going to make for even more and fierce position battles. The Carrington signing as well. All three of these guys can and will push not only rookies, but vets currently on the team.

One more thing on the WR spots......we CAN easily carry 6 WR's on the roster. We have ben loaded on the RB and TE spots as far as #'s go. If we carry 6 WR's, we really don't need 5 RB's like we have been carrying. The best part of all this is the best guys will win the jobs. It adds depth, talent and competition. It is gambles and moves like this that made Bill Belichick his $$$, so I am excited and eager to see how it all pans out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know it may not be anything new to contribute, but I haven't really had time to add my own thoughts so I did. Thanks PT!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good read, thanks Redding.

I agree, we can easily carry 6. The challenge is, however, usually when you do a few can play special teams... Specifically kickoff and punt returns.

Quick, Givens, Pettis, Britt have limited value there. Bailey hasn't done that much either in that role.

Austin does the punt returns... Who does kickoffs?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

I agree, we can easily carry 6. The challenge is, however, usually when you do a few can play special teams... Specifically kickoff and punt returns.

Quick, Givens, Pettis, Britt have limited value there. Bailey hasn't done that much either in that role.

Well ... how about Greg Reid? ;)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
And I'll add ... we still have the draft. I think they will add another WR into the mix... just not a 1st rd. guy. I'm thinking OL and final Def. pieces will come first, then QB, WR and RB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
And I'll add ... we still have the draft. I think they will add another WR into the mix... just not a 1st rd. guy. I'm thinking OL and final Def. pieces will come first, then QB, WR and RB.

Ooooh... But now you need to cut or trade one of the existing WR's... Who gets Redding's axe?

I think Pettis is very much at risk, if Britt sticks. Between Britt and Quick, they got the Pettis role covered being 6'3" guys. (Although I love Pettis' hands in the clutch).

I think Quick sticks because he's not plateaued yet.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Good point.

Still a lot of WR talent limited to WR roles.
If Reid is healthy ... he is by far our best option at KR. He broke Deione Sander's return records while at FSU. But we still have options. That very well could be found in the draft.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

I feel like Pettis is probably the odd man out, there's now two guys on the roster that do his specific job of being the big guy to go up and get balls in the end zone in Quick and Britt and his kick return ability probably isn't any better than his punt return ability. I feel like Veltung might take his place, being good at both special team play on the defensive and offensive side of it. I just don't see how Pettis wins out when nothing he does isn't matched or bettered by somebody.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Ooooh... But now you need to cut or trade one of the existing WR's... Who gets Redding's axe?

I think Pettis is very much at risk, if Britt sticks. Between Britt and Quick, they got the Pettis role covered. (Although I love Pettis' hands in the clutch).
Truthfully.... I see Pettis as having a role. He is what he is. A possession, RZ receiver. Quick will have to make a jump, I think. If by 3rd yr he doesn't make it, can't wait forever. And if Britt comes on ... well I don't think Givens is safe either. He is pretty much a one trick pony himself ... and he regressed last yr. His lack of of physicality and focus last yr burned me up.

I can easily see 1-2 WR spots open up if the competition bares it all out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I feel like Pettis is probably the odd man out, there's now two guys on the roster that do his specific job of being the big guy to go up and get balls in the end zone in Quick and Britt and his kick return ability probably isn't any better than his punt return ability. I feel like Veltung might take his place, being good at both special team play on the defensive and offensive side of it. I just don't see how Pettis wins out when nothing he does isn't matched or bettered by somebody.
Yep ... there is Veltung too.... but he also needs to take a step up, IMHO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......One more thing on the WR spots......we CAN easily carry 6 WR's on the roster. We have ben loaded on the RB and TE spots as far as #'s go. If we carry 6 WR's, we really don't need 5 RB's like we have been carrying. The best part of all this is the best guys will win the jobs. It adds depth, talent and competition. ......

Fisher's roster could have only carried 3 TE's & no FB's last season. Harkey & Kendricks are used as combo Fullback H-back types often with Cook doing very little blocking as an TE. Most of the time you got only glimpse of the 2nd RB in on our offense and it looks to be the same this season. We saw the use of the RB's Pead & Reynolds mostly on ST's....Richardson may be the odd man out due to that if he can not stay healthy so Fisher could carry 6 to 7 wide outs very easy if needed.

Yes I agree that I find the signing of the CB & WR as a good thing with very little risk. That Reid can be a serious returner.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Fisher's roster could have only carried 3 TE's & no FB's last season. Harkey & Kendricks are used as combo Fullback H-back types often with Cook doing very little blocking as an TE. Most of the time you got only glimpse of the 2nd RB in on our offense and it looks to be the same this season. We saw the use of the RB's Pead & Reynolds mostly on ST's....Richardson may be the odd man out due to that if he can not stay healthy so Fisher could carry 6 to 7 wide outs very easy if needed.

Yes I agree that I find the signing of the CB & WR as a good thing with very little risk. That Reid can be a serious returner.
Actually .. .we carried 4. Cook, Kendricks, Harkey and McNeil

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Truthfully.... I see Pettis as having a role. He is what he is. A possession, RZ receiver. Quick will have to make a jump, I think. If by 3rd yr he doesn't make it, can't wait forever. And if Britt comes on ... well I don't think Givens is safe either. He is pretty much a one trick pony himself ... and he regressed last yr. His lack of of physicality and focus last yr burned me up.

Quick I'll give you, but Givens gets a pass, he had a bad sophomore slump, it's happened to better than him. He was also fighting a nagging injury that was holding him back all season, with a full season to get better and now knowing all the things he needs to change, I imagine that Givens is going to be in his way back up.

He's in the same situation Donnie Avery was in back with us, I don't see us repeating sending a good player away because he didn't turn out fast enough.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Quick I'll give you, but Givens gets a pass, he had a bad sophomore slump, it's happened to better than him. He was also fighting a nagging injury that was holding him back all season, with a full season to get better and now knowing all the things he needs to change, I imagine that Givens is going to be in his way back up.

He's in the same situation Donnie Avery was in back with us, I don't see us repeating sending a good player away because he didn't turn out fast enough.
I'm just saying ... he needs to step UP not back. That is the beauty of competition in camp. We will get the best 5-6 ... not just the ONLY 5-6. Adding Britt to the mix ... CHEAP was a brilliant move, IMHO

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Actually .. .we carried 4. Cook, Kendricks, Harkey and McNeil
Yep but my point was it could have been 3 due to the fact McNeil never saw the field. But it should be said that they like this TE Justice Cunningham 6-3 260 too mostly due to his blocking skills comes close to the same size as Harkey who seems to be developing very nicely!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yep but my point was it could have been 3 due to the fact McNeil never saw the field. But it should be said that they like this TE Justice Cunningham 6-3 260 too mostly due to his blocking skills comes close to the same size as Harkey who seems to be developing very nicely!
Harkey made a HUGE jump in development last off-season, in strength, size, and hands. I expect him to have made more strides this off-season. He will be playing for a contract soon.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

A part of me agrees with you but I can't deny how good he is in the red zone. Pettis is at his best in tight spaces where he can use his length to his advantage. I don't think we have anyone who can do it better.

I think we carry 6 WR's and draft 0.

lockdnram21

Legend

i disagree about Quick he was making srides. you cant get better if the Qb doesnt throw it your way when your wide open

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Last edited: