Our opponents seem to have “picked their poison”...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It appears that our opponents have consciously chosen to minimize elapsed time from snap to throw in order to partially neutralize our front 7 pass rush.

They have tried to run the ball also to keep our pass rush honest and to try to increase their TOP which would keep our O off the field.

And we will probably see more of the same in the future despite the lack of great success by the Raiders and Cards.

The problem for opponents is that they must virtually concede a consistent passing deep threat and they allow Wade to sub in the likes of Shields and Christian, among others.

It’s a fascinating chess game, so far. I’m guessing that the Chargers and Vikings might have other, and more effective strategies, but we’ll see.

It will still always come down to whether a given opponent chooses to challenge our DL or our secondary, huh? I see the Rams winning more than their fair share of those battles.

Like I said, a weekly pick-your-poison decision for each opponent.

So, we may not be seeing the anticipated sacks this year, but we will probably see an outstanding reduction in points allowed in exchange. I’ll take it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What kind of poison are we talking about? Is it box jellyfish venom? Or something like potassium chloride?

:p

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The Raiders had some real success throwing to their TE, but not every team has a guy that can do that.

Our only weaknesses at this point on defense are the LBs, and our only weakness on Offense is our TEs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Raiders had some real success throwing to their TE, but not every team has a guy that can do that. Our only weaknesses at this point on defense are the LBs, and our only weakness on Offense is our TEs.
Yes they did..... then later Wade decided to go with #41 to play interior LB'er post for Ramik Wilson......resulted in Cooks success deminished. We also saw the same this past week against AZ Cards where thier starting TE R. Seals-Jones stats was 4 catches for 17 yds.Thus far our opponets are staying away from our two outside corners (wonder why) instead attacking our NRC/Joyner/JJ III.

https://www.therams.com/team/players-roster/marqui-christian/

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
More like sweaty jock straps and sneakers....:eek:

Whatever the poison, :death: Rams have the antidote. :cheers:

RamsFan47

Rookie
Last time I started talking picking poisons was the Washington game last year. And I remember how that turned out- Rams tie the game with a field goal after Robert Woods and the offensive line goes full melt-down. Washington runs it down out throat (thank you very much ogletree) scores a td. Next possession Goff throws a pick- game over.
I hope Wade and Co. are ready for the challenge, the Chargers are going to give them their best shot.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
If Ram's opponents could pick their poison you would think they'd pick cyanide (isn't that what they give spies to take if they get caught - you bite it and you're dead in 2 seconds). But playing the Rams is more like death by arsenic - slow and very painful.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wade adjusts and whatever is working will get nullified by half time. It's the same song and dance for the last year. We don't even have our best linebacker on the field who, by himself, would nullify a lot of the plays the Raiders and Cards managed to get off on us. If this defense stays healthy it's going to set some records this season.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like 10 yard offensive holding penalties are the poison they've chosen. I lost count in the Raider game.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Part of me is kind of bummed that our D-Line isn't racking up a million sacks, but looks like our opponents have definitely gone with the "holy crap throw the ball as fast as possible" approach. Eventually teams are gonna have to hold the ball longer and take some deep shots. this will be their biggest mistake

Ram65

Legend
I have not seen a great pass rush yet. Could be that the offenses are getting the ball out quickly. Expect to see more passing in future games.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I have not seen a great pass rush yet. Could be that the offenses are getting the ball out quickly. Expect to see more passing in future games.

The pass rush has been fine. Teams are checking down and getting rid of the ball as fast as they can. It’s the reason why Peters/Talib have given up only 37 yards combined.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

But we've seen tons of holding calls. They're holding our guys because they can't block them, this will continue... Pick your poison.

Ram65

Legend
The pass rush has been fine. Teams are checking down and getting rid of the ball as fast as they can. It’s the reason why Peters/Talib have given up only 37 yards combined.

But we've seen tons of holding calls. They're holding our guys because they can't block them, this will continue... Pick your poison.

OK I rewatched the Cardinals quick view entire game. The pass rush was much better than I thought. In this game as in the Raiders game the Rams get even pressure all around keeping the QB in the pocket. The Cardinals O Line is below average and they have a rookie Cole at OC. They really didn't give Bradford much time. I liked seeing more rotation of the pass rushers too. The pass rush should get better with Donald, Easley and Longacre getting up to speed as they didn't practice much in preseason. Ebukam had a nice stutter move but, I haven't seen much else from him. Thanks glad I took a second look.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It appears that our opponents have consciously chosen to minimize elapsed time from snap to throw in order to partially neutralize our front 7 pass rush.

They have tried to run the ball also to keep our pass rush honest and to try to increase their TOP which would keep our O off the field.

And we will probably see more of the same in the future despite the lack of great success by the Raiders and Cards.

The problem for opponents is that they must virtually concede a consistent passing deep threat and they allow Wade to sub in the likes of Shields and Christian, among others.

It’s a fascinating chess game, so far. I’m guessing that the Chargers and Vikings might have other, and more effective strategies, but we’ll see.

It will still always come down to whether a given opponent chooses to challenge our DL or our secondary, huh? I see the Rams winning more than their fair share of those battles.

Like I said, a weekly pick-your-poison decision for each opponent.

So, we may not be seeing the anticipated sacks this year, but we will probably see an outstanding reduction in points allowed in exchange. I’ll take it.
Completely agree.
The Vikes are one of the few teams that could have success with it against us. They have the defense to potentially keep it a low scoring game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Great post @Rams43 , I agree, and have been watching this closely. Wade has already made adjustments that seem to work. Teams will not be able to continue to do this, because we are too good on offense. At some point the other team gets behind, and then we really got them. where we want them.

I think the strategy worked with the Falcons in the playoffs, but we a re better now, especially the depth up the middle. For the formula to work the other team, must be successful/consistent running the ball. How are you going to do that now??? I mean really.

Teams are going to have to be creative, take chances, and try to fool us with different looks. They will have to keep moving the pocket, and they will still have to win the one on one battles, like Cook did in the first half of the Raider game. We are a tough cover. Our secondary has really improved, overall too. Marqui has been a pleasant surprise, and John Johnson has really gotten better.

Slowing the game down, must still be the only way to beat us, unless we beat ourselves, and then the opponents will almost have to play perfect. It will be interesting to play against a mobile QB, but that has never really killed us in the recent past, even with bad teams.

Goff, can even play better, and that is scary. Our defense can play better too.