OTish: Ryan Kalil to enter 2012 NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Apparently, Kalil has decided to forgo his senior season at USC and enter the draft. That means if the Rams draft at #2 or #3 we will have a chance to take a big time prospect (Kalil or Blackmon).

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7358275/sources-usc-trojans-matt-kalil-enter-2012-nfl-draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... -nfl-draft</a>

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like Stanford OT Jonathan Martin too.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Angry Ram said:
Kalil or Blackmon it is. Win/win.

+1 Then again, watch us draft a TE.....

joeybittick

Rookie
Angry Ram said:

Normally I am on the "level-headed" side who would say "build the line/BPA/etc" but this time I think I am Blackmon all the way.

Maybe something will happen to change that, but this year I want them to get their effing WR. I

know he had an off the field issue though, so Spags may not go for him, I just would like to see the playmaker.

I am a little more confident that the O-line is better than people think, however :?!:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Welcome to the St. Louis Rams, Mr. Kalil.

It's a strong WR free agency class, I think we should look to improving the linemen (OL and DT) in the draft, and then OLB and DB's. But that's just me. :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:

It's a strong WR free agency class, I think we should look to improving the linemen (OL and DT) in the draft, and then OLB and DB's. But that's just me. :)
What is your source for free agents? Do you have a list? Thanks.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

What is your source for free agents? Do you have a list? Thanks.

Name, team, depth, age, years played, and their rank.

Danny Amendola STL 26 3
Devin Aromashodu MIN WR2 27 5 #97
Earl Bennett CHI WR5 24 3 #102
Dwayne Bowe KC WR1 27 4 #7
Deion Branch NE WR2 32 9 #33
Plaxico Burress NYJ WR2 34 11 #36
Andre Caldwell CIN WR3 26 3 #91
Greg Camarillo MIN WR3 29 6 #118
Marques Colston NO WR1 28 5 #34
Jerricho Cotchery PIT WR5 29 7
Patrick Crayton SD WR3 32 7 #107
Rashied Davis DET WR4 32 9
Early Doucet ARI WR2 26 3 #38
Harry Douglas ATL WR3 27 3 #90
Braylon Edwards SF WR2 28 6 #76
Pierre Garcon IND WR2 26 3 #22
Ted Ginn SF WR3 26 4 #104
Anthony Gonzalez IND WR4 27 4
Lavelle Hawkins TEN WR3 25 3 #81
Domenik Hixon NYG 27 5
DeSean Jackson PHI WR1 25 3 #18
Vincent Jackson SD WR1 28 6 #11
Steve Johnson BUF WR1 25 3 #9
Brandon Lloyd STL WR1 30 8 #24
Mario Manningham NYG WR3 25 3 #51
Robert Meachem NO WR3 27 4 #47
Josh Morgan SF 26 3
Legedu Naanee CAR WR2 28 4 #87
Jordy Nelson GB WR2 26 3 #17
Kevin Ogletree DAL WR4 24 2 #110
Roscoe Parrish BUF 29 6
Eddie Royal DEN WR2 25 3 #89
Chaz Schilens OAK WR5 26 3
Jerome Simpson CIN WR2 25 3 #50
Matt Slater NE WR5 26 3
Steve Smith PHI WR4 26 4 #109
Micheal Spurlock TB 28 5 #116
Maurice Stovall DET WR5 26 5 #124
Devin Thomas NYG WR5 25 3
Jerheme Urban KC WR4 31 8
Mike Wallace PIT WR1 25 2 #6
Reggie Wayne IND WR1 33 10 #39
Eric Weems ATL WR4 26 4 #121
Wes Welker NE WR1 30 7 #2
Roy Williams CHI WR2 29 7 #82
Matt Willis DEN WR4 27 4

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2011/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=WR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2011/ ... yer_pos=WR</a>

Some of these guys are RFA, and some will be locked up, but there's enough talent there where we should be able to pick up at least one guy. Especially for a short year. Guys like Welker, wont hit free agency, but Reggie Wayne is someone that may see it given his age.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
joeybittick said:
Angry Ram said:

Normally I am on the "level-headed" side who would say "build the line/BPA/etc" but this time I think I am Blackmon all the way.

Maybe something will happen to change that, but this year I want them to get their effing WR. I

know he had an off the field issue though, so Spags may not go for him, I just would like to see the playmaker.

I am a little more confident that the O-line is better than people think, however :?!:

Blackmon had 1 DUI arrest last year (2010) and was fully cooperative w/ the PO-lice.

Same thing happened w/ Fletcher.

But yeah I'm leaning toward Blackmon too. I thought that after last year's improvement Blackmon would've been a long shot but here's the oppurtunity and much like Bradford, can't pass up on it.

Heck if I was GM I'd consider adding Colston and draft Blackmon. Add them to Amendola, Salas, and Pettis = one of the best WR groups in the league in just 1 offseason. ANd hopefully Kendricks would be used more.

Lloyd, Gibson, DX....cya.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's great. Now we just need the Vikes to win a game then we have control of the board after the Colts either pick Luck or trade down. I don't think he makes it past the Vikes one way or the other.
Not sure he would be the Rams choice anyway.

Perfect world this and RGIII mania runs wild we could trade down with the Skins pick up a 2nd and still get him or Riley Reiff, Calborne or Blackmon.

Just a guess but this year we could see the top three teams trade down as team want one of the three QB's if Barkley comes out.

Real question of the draft is what the Colts will do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
joeybittick said:
Angry Ram said:

The o-line is better than we think? How in the... What... Do you... Based on... Tell.... Explain your... Oh never mind.

joeybittick

Rookie
DR RAM said:
joeybittick said:
Angry Ram said:

The o-line is better than we think? How in the... What... Do you... Based on... Tell.... Explain your... Oh never mind.

I know, I know, I tend to wear blue and gold tinted glasses. And I will admit, I have not broken down the tape like you have, but yes, I think that we have not seen what this O-line can truly do.

It seems to me that when they were healthy the lack familiarity with the scheme and a lack of a true WR threat hurt them, as they were asked to hold their blocks longer for the err.... well, "less skilled" WR corps could get open. Then the injuries hit and, well you know the story there.

I think the main issue people had with last years O-line was RG, and they fixed that with Dahl imo. Granted, now Jason Smith is gone (maybe for good) but I also think he did not get a fair shot. I have even heard "experts" and (I think) people on here say that he is more fit to be an LT.

I know that is an oxymoron because LT is more important than RT with a right handed QB and Smith has not excelled at RT, but as someone else put it (sorry whoever this was as I cannot remember to quote you) NFL teams have started using speed rushers at LDE. This hurts Smith because the typical idea is that a RT has to be a mauler and get out there and run block and he seems to get caught in between sometimes being too slow to get back in pass protection.

I also think Bell has been better than some think and I refuse to believe Jason Brown just suddenly became a dud when he joined the Rams from Baltimore. And, to close out my (highly optimistic :sly: ) argument I am not ready to give up on Saffold.

Again, without watching the tape like you, I am reminded of Marcus McNeil from the Chargers. He was lights out as a rookie, took a step back, and now seems to be a very good LT once again.

I think a combo of a new system, lack of coaching, and injuries is what is wrong with the O-line, not lack of skill. And, while I hate to say this, I think McDaniels has really mismanaged this offense, including the O-line.

He has refused to tailor his scheme to his players (which imo Shurmur did a great job of and I still am pissed he went to the Browns) and has instead forced the players to adapt to him. That is the absolute WORST way for a coach to do things from my point of view. It would be like PHI or DET or CHI trading for SJAX and trying to make him play like Best or McCoy or Forte.

Errr... what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, so all of this makes me a "Blackmon guy" :?!:

P.S. I am super hopeful this will NOT turn into a "Suh vs. Bradford" thing over here. If I start seeing "what you pro Blackmon/Kalil guys fail to understand" I swear I will ban everyone :censored: :bat: :pissed: :sly:

Angry Ram

I somewhat agree. The only difference from 2010 to 2011 was Dahl. Other than that...same guys, same depth, same OL coach.

Then everyone except Dahl (huh?) got put on IR except Brown, who's playing RG.

The only reason Kalil IMO is considered a possibility is b/c of Jason Smith's concussion issues. I wonder if he can even play now and it might be best for him and the team to part ways by a injury settlement.

Apparently Dahl is playing well @ RT, so the only posistion that would need to be upgraded is RG (keep Bell). That's assuming Saffold comes back strong next year, and I'm sure he can. Maybe this Mattison fella can play strong these next 3 games and continue to develop over the offseason and camp.

joeybittick

Rookie
Angry Ram said:
I somewhat agree. The only difference from 2010 to 2011 was Dahl. Other than that...same guys, same depth, same OL coach.

The only reason Kalil IMO is considered a possibility is b/c of Jason Smith's concussion issues. I wonder if he can even play now and it might be best for him and the team to part ways by a injury settlement.

Apparently Dahl is playing well @ RT, so the only posistion that would need to be upgraded is RG (keep Bell). That's assuming Saffold comes back strong next year, and I'm sure he can. Maybe this Mattison fella can play strong these next 3 games and continue to develop over the offseason and camp.

I would rather see Dahl back at RG and them find a new RT, because while I think the position is a bit more important than zn seems to think it is, I agree with him that a RT should not be too hard to find.

Angry Ram

joeybittick said:
Angry Ram said:

I would rather see Dahl back at RG and them find a new RT, because while I think the position is a bit more important than zn seems to think it is, I agree with him that a RT should not be too hard to find.

3rd or 4th round would be my target. Who knows, but its a good thing there are options.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:

But there still has to be concern over Saffold struggling this year. I agree with you, I think he bounces back and will be more consistent next year, but I think its also gonna be hard to pass up Kalil. He gives us more flexibility on the OL and he comes in as a polished LT ready to plug in and start right away.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Personally, I think that we could draft Kalil and move Saffold over to right tackle. In today's NFL, there are great pass-rushers on both sides (our very own Chris Long being the prime example), and some ends/linebackers are moved around in order to find a mismatch. I don't know about you guys, but a line with Kalil and Saffold as bookends with Harvey Dahl at right guard sounds much better than what we've had. And if we resign Lloyd (which I imagine we'd have to do; why trade for him if we won't resign him?), we'll have a number one wideout and a steady vet to help the younger receivers.

I also think that while Blackmon is an elite prospect in his own right, he's not at the same calibre as Kalil, who some are calling a once-in-a-generation tackle.

Just my honest opinion.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Memento said:
Personally, I think that we could draft Kalil and move Saffold over to right tackle. In today's NFL, there are great pass-rushers on both sides (our very own Chris Long being the prime example), and some ends/linebackers are moved around in order to find a mismatch. I don't know about you guys, but a line with Kalil and Saffold as bookends with Harvey Dahl at right guard sounds much better than what we've had. And if we resign Lloyd (which I imagine we'd have to do; why trade for him if we won't resign him?), we'll have a number one wideout and a steady vet to help the younger receivers.

I also think that while Blackmon is an elite prospect in his own right, he's not at the same calibre as Kalil, who some are calling a once-in-a-generation tackle.

Just my honest opinion.

My thoughts exactly.

Angry Ram

JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:

But there still has to be concern over Saffold struggling this year. I agree with you, I think he bounces back and will be more consistent next year, but I think its also gonna be hard to pass up Kalil. He gives us more flexibility on the OL and he comes in as a polished LT ready to plug in and start right away.

Yeah, but lets consider who he has faced...in a row:

Trent Cole
Jason Pierre-Paul/Justin Tuck/the rest of the NYG DL.
Terrell Suggs
Brian Orakpo
Clay Matthews, even tho he plays LOLB he lines up all over.
DeMarcus Ware
Will Smith

Then Arizona and Cleveland who have underrated DEs, Campbell and Sheard.

That's a pretty damn impressive list. And he's in 2nd year. Obviously the coaches would never have kept him @ LT if he wasn't good enough.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think it would speak more to the new regime's credibility (if a new regime comes in) to say, look, we're not going to give free passes and excuses to guys who don't perform to their pay grade. That means J-Smooth (whom I love) and Brown should both be worried about their futures. If they draft Kalil it sends a strong message that more is expected and then they could pursue WR/DB the following couple of rounds.

Personally, I'd love to see Robert Meachem come over to STL. I'm pretty sure he's a FA and he's a guy that has great skill and ability, he's just been overshadowed in a line-up full of top targets in New Orleans.
Maybe take a flier on a guy like Steve Smith from Philly and see what he can do another year removed from a major knee injury. Before you dismiss the move as "Not another knee guy!" Take a look at Laurent Robinson who seems to be 2x the player his former self was a couple years removed from his frightening incident.