OT: entertainment options HELP!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hey guys,

So I'm in a bit of a pickle and I need your help! I just moved into my own place and have been stumped as to how to set up my entertainment.

I am never home as I work in the morning till evening then typically go to the gym after work, and I'm not much of a TV watcher other than say ESPN/NFL network or any other sports games/events.

I don't want to get cable BC it is not worth it to me truthfully since I'm never home or watch TV, but I know I should get internet. So the guys at work suggested getting internet along with something called roku and Chromecast?

Anyone have thoughts on these gadgets or what sort of set up I should consider? I'm thinking aside from internet, I just need something that streams like Netflix and maybe some sports channels or something to keep me entertained and keep my company happy. Is there something that will allow for me to stream the internet so that I can watch the rams links?

(Disclaimer: I do not have a smart TV... Yet... Waiting for tax returns next yr to get a 60-65")

I thank you sincerely to all who offer their help and input.

Sincerely,
young guy in need of some guidance!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Sorry , I haven't a clue , we have basic cable , and that's about it , even with basic cable we have like 400 channels we never watch

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Get a playstation 4 and stream netflix with it. It's also a blue ray/DVD player and of course it's a gaming console too.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Don't have Roku or Chromecast, but I DO have an Amazon FireTV set-top box. It does the same thing as a Roku (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, HBOGo, Showtime Anytime -- all are pay services, btw), plus you'll get considerably more free viewing options if you've already got an Amazon Prime account.

Mojo's suggestion of a PS4 will also get you plenty of streaming options -- most likely, everything that's also available with the Fire TV or a Roku.

And for what it's worth -- I don't know if you necessarily need a Smart TV if you're going to go the route of an external streaming device (PS4, Roku, Chromecast, FireTV). My in-laws have a Samsung smart TV....I'd be lying if I said it updates the streaming apps regularly, as new upgrades become available. My personal opinion -- if you're getting an external streaming device, then a Smart TV would be overkill. Those streaming-only devices were built to do one job, and they do it well -- arguably better than the built-in streaming apps on a Smart TV.

Now -- sports programming for cord-cutters is a taller order, right now. It'll need some time to evolve over the next few years -- that Buffalo-Jacksonville game in London that was available exclusively on Yahoo was the guinea pig for the NFL streaming. The NFL might expand on that over the next few years -- as soon as they can figure how they can pull it off while making massive coin.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard the nvidia shield is a great suggestion, anyone use one?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LesBaker....

Close to how my father is now. Some truth in that video.

I know it's true that when some people get older they stop giving a fuck about pretty much anything and (like kids sometimes) say the darnedest things LOL.

Living in SWFL, also known as gods waiting room, I see it first hand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I have a roku player and that works pretty well. It has channels on it for a lot of things. Also has the big ones you would need like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Pandora, as well as a plethora of free channels. It's a good way to go if you don't want cable and aren't going to pirate shows you want to watch. For sports you can stream them from the various free sites out there like I do. If you paid for Netflix, Amazon and Hulu it would cost a fraction of cable and you'd be able to see just about anything you want to watch as far as I know.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have a roku player and that works pretty well. It has channels on it for a lot of things. Also has the big ones you would need like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Pandora, as well as a plethora of free channels. It's a good way to go if you don't want cable and aren't going to pirate shows you want to watch. For sports you can stream them from the various free sites out there like I do. If you paid for Netflix, Amazon and Hulu it would cost a fraction of cable and you'd be able to see just about anything you want to watch as far as I know.

Every time I hear or read the word plethora I think of this scene LOL.

7d632999f84e9662ad3554bde35ebc94.jpg